Boycott YouTube!

AuthorMessage
waiting_a_long_time
Idiot
waiting_a_long_time
April 10th, 2007 at 12:53am
I don't go on youtube anyway.

What really interests me is how they managed to block the site??
I was suprised to hear his reaction to the children who made a speech against him. He sounds like he's a brilliant king.
I dont think the blocking of the site is that much of a loss really, If everyone in Thailand is a patriotic as you say they are, they wont want to go there anyway, after what happened. But if the video is just some immature drawings on his face,, then maybe its a little bit of an over-reaction.
SugarGreen
King For A Couple Of Days
SugarGreen
April 10th, 2007 at 01:44am
Not every country has Freedom of Speech and apparently Thailand is one of those. I have to say I am not going to boycott an international website based on the laws of ONE country.
Franny.
Falling In Love With The Board
Franny.
April 10th, 2007 at 03:12am
Kurtni:

Mr. Green If we banned every site that dissed bush we would have no internet anymore.

would you say bush represents all of usa? he technically does [at international meetings and whatnot] but not all of america is proud of the fact.

but apparently the king represents all of the people of thailand, so i'm not shocked that the people are deeply offended. i wouldn't go so far as too boycott a website, but i'd express my dislike for it.

good job anji for expressing your views on the rude video posted of someone you respect greatly.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
April 10th, 2007 at 09:37am
Franny.:
Kurtni:

Mr. Green If we banned every site that dissed bush we would have no internet anymore.

would you say bush represents all of usa? he technically does [at international meetings and whatnot] but not all of america is proud of the fact.

but apparently the king represents all of the people of thailand, so i'm not shocked that the people are deeply offended. i wouldn't go so far as too boycott a website, but i'd express my dislike for it.

good job anji for expressing your views on the rude video posted of someone you respect greatly.

But thats obviously not true because if he did represent everyone in Thailand firstly there wouldn't be people out there making youtube videos and there would be no need to ban the site. Whats happening in the thai government or monarchy are afraid that this view will be passed onto other people and that if it continued to grow and people started to realise that people shouldn't be born in ultimate power and that either the monarchy should be abolished or made a figruehead like every other monarch country.

Now granted the king has done the country good in his years of reign but that does not give him the power to choose what voice his subjects want to follow.
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
April 10th, 2007 at 10:12am
Hm, I try to understand you, but I totally don't see the point. Banning youtube doesn't make sense to me.
[coming from a very un-patriotic country pft Cheese]
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 10th, 2007 at 05:10pm
Eternity Ragnarok:
Not every country has Freedom of Speech and apparently Thailand is one of those. I have to say I am not going to boycott an international website based on the laws of ONE country.

and I support free speech so I would never, ever boycott a site because a country is attempting to silence someones.
brick
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
brick
April 10th, 2007 at 07:18pm
People are going to get made fun of weather we have YouTube or not. Think about it, if you didn't like this person, & you made a video making fun of them, would banning it stop that? No, you will still chuckle amongst friends. Also it's all funny stuff. It's all a joke. It's not going to pop up and attack you. It's not going to turn people against you. Everyone who watches videos on there know not to take most random silly videos seriosly. I think you shouldn't ruin it for everyone. There has always been a funny video site. [Before YouTube - Funny Junk, Ebaums, Albino Black Sheep etc]This one you can just upload stuff youself.
Biffy Clyro
Basket Case
Biffy Clyro
April 11th, 2007 at 11:27am
I have to say I think this is a little over-sensitive. If it's as childish as you tell us it is, then surely you can ignore it and rise above it.

Also, by supressing anti-monarchy sentiments the country will just make those who are anti-monarchy more fervent in their beliefs and if possible make them more anti-monarchy. Surely it would be easier to accept the king is not perfect.
Dom
Jackass
Dom
April 11th, 2007 at 02:30pm
id much rather boycott myspace. or create a virus to destroy it. dunno why, just something about it bugs me.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 11th, 2007 at 03:23pm
druscilla; in rags:
I think it's freedom of speech.

Or freedom to graffiti-on-photos, as it were.

Actually, I don't think you're the only one to bandy the term 'freedom of speech' around in this thread, and let me ask you all; who the fuck is speaking?

I mean, come on, lets not lose our heads over this, we can at least use the proper terms.
SugarGreen
King For A Couple Of Days
SugarGreen
April 11th, 2007 at 03:39pm
Bloodraine:

Or freedom to graffiti-on-photos, as it were.

Actually, I don't think you're the only one to bandy the term 'freedom of speech' around in this thread, and let me ask you all; who the fuck is speaking?

I mean, come on, lets not lose our heads over this, we can at least use the proper terms.

No it is still considered speech ie. communication. By YOUR understanding of what speech is, it would be saying that hand signals are not a form of communication.
R A V E
Geek
R A V E
April 12th, 2007 at 06:17am
I hardly go on it...
The only times i would go on it is to watch my friends do stupid things. Mr. Green
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 06:40am
Eternity Ragnarok:
No it is still considered speech ie. communication. By YOUR understanding of what speech is, it would be saying that hand signals are not a form of communication.

By my understanding, speaking and communicating are two different things File
Some deaf people can't speak, they communicate with sign language instead. Tiny bit different, since no actual...well...speaking is involved.

I think it would be better suited to say that making a mean video about the Thai king is freedom of expression. And you know, I admire the Thai patriotism, I really do, and I stand behind their decision to ban youtube, even if it does taste of some spooky, 'Big Brother' esque government.

I mean, most of us here are either from the USA, or Europe, and we have barely any monarchy between us. Hard for us to understand, then, the Thais compassionate love for their king. Its a cultural thing, and I think a lot of people here probably don't understand (or don't want to try) to understand the way Thai people feel.

They obviously have different moral standards, expectations and feelings than we do. And it does raise a point, it really does. How would you feel if someone put an insulting video on youtube about you?
I know I would feel very hurt and upset, and also sincerely humiliated. And since the thai king is doubtlessly more well known than me, I'm sure his humiliation will be before a much wider audience and with much greater consequences.

Of course, you all believe in freedom of 'speech'/expression now, but would you send an email to youtube asking them to take down a hurtful and insulting video of you?

I wonder.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 11:37am
NeoSteph:
But thats obviously not true because if he did represent everyone in Thailand firstly there wouldn't be people out there making youtube videos and there would be no need to ban the site. Whats happening in the thai government or monarchy are afraid that this view will be passed onto other people and that if it continued to grow and people started to realise that people shouldn't be born in ultimate power and that either the monarchy should be abolished or made a figruehead like every other monarch country.

Now granted the king has done the country good in his years of reign but that does not give him the power to choose what voice his subjects want to follow.
Non-Thais as I explained with the Swisse guy.

Do you know how high he is? He pardonned the Suisse.

Also, after showing your concerns before over the state of the countries government after Taksin's bloody tyrannous grip of corrupt reign over this country, the King pardonned him as well. He is not Thai, and most of us refuse to call him Thai. And yet the King, with his amazing heart of pure gold, pardons him. He represents all the good in us. I mean, everyone. He looks beyond what people have done to what they can improve upon and that is sooooo high of him. A lot, a lot, a lot of people here think I'm stupid. Well pardon me for being patriotic, I know it's a feeling some of you will never ever get.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 11:39am
brickofselfcontrol:
People are going to get made fun of weather we have YouTube or not. Think about it, if you didn't like this person, & you made a video making fun of them, would banning it stop that? No, you will still chuckle amongst friends. Also it's all funny stuff. It's all a joke. It's not going to pop up and attack you. It's not going to turn people against you. Everyone who watches videos on there know not to take most random silly videos seriosly. I think you shouldn't ruin it for everyone. There has always been a funny video site. [Before YouTube - Funny Junk, Ebaums, Albino Black Sheep etc]This one you can just upload stuff youself.
If you're call our monarchy a joke, I am speachless. How absolutely naive can you get?
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 11:40am
Eternity Ragnarok:
Thailand has freedom of speech but that's irrelevant because I don't think other people from other countries should be making fun of us.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 11:44am
NeoSteph:
One part of your speech that impressed me was how the king answered to the students who questioned his authority, so the king LET them have their voice. why can't this slightly immature voice be heard. Satire and comedy in the british press have been one of the biggest players in percieving a monarch or a politician you have to let it be heard.

The fact thailand has now banned an entire site because of this one insignificant post shows signs of a dictator. Where any opposing voice is silenced. The fact the thai people not only allow this, but support this breach of human rights to take place shows no back bone in your part and that believe me is something i'm very sorry to say.
See this is the difference between monarchy and democracy. Ironically enough, the King represents all Thais, and he dosen't seem to care about those who make fun of him, but the government who has brought us down on several occasions and overthrown the monarchy decided to remove the site. The Ministry of Information being a sector or whatever of the government of Thailand.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 11:46am
I actually do not want then to ban the site. I want every Thai to show the world that we do not need to be told what to do and who to stand up for, because we all know. The government in partnership with the military who once gunned us all have decided that it's for our own good that we don't go to YouTube when we know so ourselves.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 11:50am
tyco:
tsk! LOL
oh come on... every one is in someway humiliated or taken the micky of in someway on that sight weather it be race, sex, ethnicly or if they are gay straight bi undecided.
WHATEVER!... its a fact... get over it allready LOL

im from the uk and our queen has been the target for some childish behavour but its more childish to be in uproar over it take it with a pinch of salt. (there are people who wont like you its matter of fact and matter of life.)

and why boycotte youtube?.. i mean if you want to thats fine.. dont pursuade others to on your behalf! LOL thats insane Smile

Thanks.
Thanks for telling me the history of my country. And yeah, I've taken the 'micky' out of my queen. But she doesn't represent us, does she now. I've disagreed with some of her actions in the past but never have I had to do that with the King. The fact is, this is racism. He is us. He is Thailand. And I don't like people messing with my. Right?
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 11:51am
druscilla; in rags:
I think it's freedom of speech.
Sure, it's freedom of speech, but freedom of speech does not have to be insulting to a representive of a country. As Anji said, it is a big thing because they all are very proud of their country, and since the King of Thailand is being mocked, as representing all Thais, it's also kind of personal. I know what it can do, I saw the drawings of Muhammad in Jyllandsposten that a few of my fellow Danes drew. He represents Islam as an entire religion, our flag was burnt by angry mobs, the food we used to sell there was boycotted and it's recently settled and everything has come to peace now, but it was a huge thing and I believe that this is, too. I know that people will remember Denmark as "That country who made fun of their prophet." and that's really sad. To make a video which is easy to delete and to ban that user who made it - of course, it's easier to delete, but that it was even made, is insulting.

You could call alot of things freedom of speech. Like bullying. Saying "Fat cow" is freedom of speech, but it still hurts and if it continues, it surely isn't funny.
Register