Green Day On American Idol

AuthorMessage
HavingAGreenDay
Falling In Love With The Board
HavingAGreenDay

Mibba
May 29th, 2007 at 03:12pm
Love Lennon. Sean Lennon's a great musician too, I actually wish Green Day would help to promote his music, but I suppose they're not allowed to because of different labels.

On topic, seems kind of weird seeing the band play again in regular clothes and not their American Idiot attire. Maybe we have the old Green Day back. Very Happy
TragicCaseofMyReality
King For A Couple Of Days
TragicCaseofMyReality
May 29th, 2007 at 07:20pm
Angelic Fruitcake:
THE DENIM JACKET's BACK!
Ahem.
The performance was pretty good.
I thought Tre was going to get up and kill someone at one point.
Had to watch it on youtube. meh.
Oh!
And the look on Billie's face at the end.
-melts-

I know!!! Dance
Isn't that the jacket he wore in the "Waiting" video?
TragicCaseofMyReality
TragicCaseofMyReality
May 29th, 2007 at 07:26pm
crimson_rose_91:
I think it's annoying that some people are calling them sellouts and saying that they are nowhere near punk now. Who cares? It's not like it's their own song or anything, they've done it for Charity. They probably wouldn't perform THEIR OWN song on American Idol, but they want to raise money for this one so doesn't it make sense to go comercial and to get more people interested in buying the album?! That means reaching out beyond their usual fan base?! The people calling them sell outs usually claim to be "open minded" not so open minded to say that Green Day are shit and not worth it just 'cause they are supporting good causes and decided to perform on a show that millions of people watch to gain publicity for the charity? I'm not saying that they arn't doing any of this for their own success but my goodneses is the whole sellout punk thing getting boring.

agreed. 100%. I've been arguing with people on YouTube about it. and this was one of my retorts to someone that said "What happened with the longview style Green Day?!"

Billie wrote all those songs atleast 14 years ago. He has been through many different experiences since then-he became a dadX2, the backlash of the Punk community when they signed to a major label,the fact that he is politically aware is more apparent and has been since Warning. His music grew as he did. anything less WOULD have been selling out. but Green Day DIDN'T sell out and they never will.

and then they said "okay whatever but don't tell me that the American Idol thing wasn't for money"
and my reply:

The reason they did Working Class Hero in the first place was to help the people in Darfur. In order to get any money for the cause, they need to get the message to people. Unfortunetly, most of the people in the U.S. watch American Idol. Did you see even the amount of teenie people after seeing them on the show came out and commented on the song. Which means they saw the song, which means they are most likely going to buy the song. And that much more money goes towards the people in Darfur.
GreenDay_is_my_life
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
GreenDay_is_my_life
May 29th, 2007 at 10:24pm
Hey I'm a newbie and i thought i'd just stop and say that i had no idea they were gonna be on American idol but one of my best buds knows how much i love them and she called and litterally screamed at me "GET YOUR ASS TO YOUR TV!!" and i was lucky enough to record it! LoL hell yes! I thought the preformance was rly rly good and though they didn't rly preform it, there was rly nothing to preform cus the song is so slow. But any way i thought it was great! My friend and i think that maybe Billie gained a few pounds though from being off tour for so long. LoL oh well hes still freakin' hott!!
nimrodidiot
Jackass
nimrodidiot

Blog
May 30th, 2007 at 01:28pm
Here are my thoughts:

1) DENIM JACKET, BABY!

2) They did it to help the people of Darfur.

3) Finally we get to see at least SOME Green Day action around here, huh?
GreenDay_is_my_life
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
GreenDay_is_my_life
May 30th, 2007 at 06:26pm
I was definatly loving the denim jacket though!! It kinda looks like the one he wore in the waiting video
whatsername48417
Geek
whatsername48417
June 7th, 2007 at 11:02am
i missed it any enery one was like MEGHANN GD WAS ON AMERICAN IDIOL LAST NIGHT!!!!
whatsername48417
Geek
whatsername48417
June 7th, 2007 at 11:09am
crimson_rose_91:I think it's annoying that some people are calling them sellouts and saying that they are nowhere near punk now. Who cares? It's not like it's their own song or anything, they've done it for Charity. They probably wouldn't perform THEIR OWN song on American Idol, but they want to raise money for this one so doesn't it make sense to go comercial and to get more people interested in buying the album?! That means reaching out beyond their usual fan base?! The people calling them sell outs usually claim to be "open minded" not so open minded to say that Green Day are shit and not worth it just 'cause they are supporting good causes and decided to perform on a show that millions of people watch to gain publicity for the charity? I'm not saying that they arn't doing any of this for their own success but my goodneses is the whole sellout punk thing getting boring.

agreed. 100%. I've been arguing with people on YouTube about it. and this was one of my retorts to someone that said "What happened with the longview style Green Day?!"

Billie wrote all those songs atleast 14 years ago. He has been through many different experiences since then-he became a dadX2, the backlash of the Punk community when they signed to a major label,the fact that he is politically aware is more apparent and has been since Warning. His music grew as he did. anything less WOULD have been selling out. but Green Day DIDN'T sell out and they never will.

and then they said "okay whatever but don't tell me that the American Idol thing wasn't for money"
and my reply:

The reason they did Working Class Hero in the first place was to help the people in Darfur. In order to get any money for the cause, they need to get the message to people. Unfortunetly, most of the people in the U.S. watch American Idol. Did you see even the amount of teenie people after seeing them on the show came out and commented on the song. Which means they saw the song, which means they are most likely going to buy the song. And that much more money goes towards the people in Darfur.

i agree too
i worship billie joe
i worship billie joe
June 7th, 2007 at 05:21pm
argees also
Roisin-Marie
Roisin-Marie

Blog
June 8th, 2007 at 01:21pm
i was really suprised that they went onto American Idol.If anything i thought they would rather have eaten their own hands than represent a show where people are being handed what they worked years for to get.Personally, if i had the chance they had, i would have turned it down, but maybe thats just me.
BillieJoezGurl
BillieJoezGurl
June 8th, 2007 at 02:08pm
I SAW IT........BILLIE JOE IN THAT JACKET WAS Sex:
cabot gal
GSBitch
cabot gal

Mibba
June 8th, 2007 at 02:15pm
Ro the Hoe:
i was really suprised that they went onto American Idol.If anything i thought they would rather have eaten their own hands than represent a show where people are being handed what they worked years for to get.Personally, if i had the chance they had, i would have turned it down, but maybe thats just me.
American Idol rakes in millions of viewers; what better way to promote charity?
nimrodidiot
Jackass
nimrodidiot

Blog
June 8th, 2007 at 05:15pm
Exactly. My mom made me realize that. I can't wait to hear how many they'll sell just because of that. I'm hoping to get that CD for my birthday. I want to help the people of Darfur SO BAD. And plus, Green Day is on there, so what more can you ask for?
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
June 8th, 2007 at 10:32pm
I can't believe they were on there! But whatever.
j'adore.
Geek
j'adore.

Mibba Blog
June 9th, 2007 at 09:42am
I didn't see it.... But thank fuck for YouTube!

I loved it. I suppose some of it could've been better, but I haven't seen Green Day on stage since "The Saints Are Coming" so I was too happy to complain. Very Happy
GD Addicts Anonymous
GD Addicts Anonymous
June 12th, 2007 at 01:57am
I stopped watching American Idol after Chris Daughtry left, and I was so sad that I missed it. The next day a guy in my English class told me they were on there, and I had a hard time believing him, until I saw it here on GSB that same day.
nepenthe.
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
nepenthe.
June 15th, 2007 at 10:47am
yeah.
the jacket. ^_^
They sound better live.
LoveMeLudo
Idiot
LoveMeLudo

Mibba
June 15th, 2007 at 02:58pm
It was ok, i don't really like the song though. It's really annoying after a while.
sprite269
Jackass
sprite269
June 16th, 2007 at 04:44pm
I think it was great although they were not very excited about being there..
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
June 28th, 2007 at 12:01pm
wait.. they where on it? why? I didn't hear about it, I dont like american idol
Coolio
Register