Media and the Religious Problems

AuthorMessage
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
July 20th, 2007 at 12:51pm
I searched and didn't find this. Lock it if you find it disturbing.

Ok, so a lot of religiously Christian people despise the Harry Potter series because it goes against the bible which says that the act of divination, sorcery, interpretation of omens, engages in witchcraft, or spell casting is sinful. Every year a group of Christian poeple in New Mexico gather around a fire to burn Harry Potter book, films, games, etc. Also things like the Ouija board.

For that, there is a book called "Harry Potter for Christians" written by Matthew Vines. You can find more information on this book clicking here.

Quote:
Leviticus 19:26- "Do not practice divination or sorcery."
Deuteronomy 18:10- "Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead."
Galatians 5:19-21- "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God."

These books are fictional and they don't incite kids to practice these things, even J.K.Rowling, the author of this saga is Christian, and she wrote it. Even Pope John Paul II supported the idea of these books:

Quote:
"I don't see any problem in the Harry Potter series. They aren't bad. If I have understood well the intentions of Harry Potter's author, they help children to see the difference between good and evil."

I wanted to know your opinions on this matter because there have been some serious problems with Christians and Harry Potter fans.
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
July 20th, 2007 at 05:15pm
If Iam honest I will say that the 'Christian people' have been reading too much into the matter, they are childrens books that mean no harm.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 20th, 2007 at 06:10pm
It's Pope Bendict who's disapproving it now though. Funny how the pope's contradict each other.

I think there were people who said that the Harry Potter books were brain washing people with Christian propaganda, before.

I wish everyone could just make up their minds.

It's a children's book, for Heaven's sake.
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
July 20th, 2007 at 06:14pm
Christians also thought that 400 years ago and they burnt "witches". Is that right?
I mean, it is killing an innocent person, and has witchcraft been proven?
Wicca is a faith just like Islam or Buddhism or Christianity, even if it isn't accepted.

Besides, shouldn't people just say "Hey, the Pope is right, let's read the book."
Billie's Willie
Billie's Willie

Mibba Blog
July 20th, 2007 at 06:22pm
Ohh my god, my Uncle is a very strict southern baptist minister and he's got my grandma and his whole congregation believing that Harry Potter is evil. Seriously. Everything about Harry Potter and the books are evil according to him. He forbade anything Harry Potter related from being in his house. I think he takes it a little too far, but whatever, beliefs are beliefs, I guess.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
July 20th, 2007 at 06:26pm
Anji:
It's a children's book, for Heaven's sake.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
July 20th, 2007 at 06:31pm
The Bible says don't practice Witchcraft.
It never says don't read about it.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 20th, 2007 at 06:32pm
Bloodraine:
The Bible says don't practice Witchcraft.
It never says don't read about it.
Exactly my thoughts.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
July 20th, 2007 at 06:38pm
And its not like any of those spells/potions actually work ._. Why cant they just live it at "children's book" and not look anything religious/anti-religious in it.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 20th, 2007 at 06:43pm
Lupinator:
And its not like any of those spells/potions actually work ._.
Or do they? ~~
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
July 20th, 2007 at 07:06pm
Anji:
Lupinator:
And its not like any of those spells/potions actually work ._.
Or do they? ~~
Coolio omg don't let any of those Christian fellows hear you.
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
July 20th, 2007 at 09:51pm
I used to go to this baptist school in a baptist town. I think baptist is the same as protestant.

Anyway, every month a scholastic magazine with books came to our class and each of us got one. When Harry Potter started getting famous some colouring books of HP were on that magazine to order. My teacher grabbed a marker and crossed out anything HP related.

I go out of that school and no offense, but I discovered the real world not the strict world.
Maiku's Kind Ghost
King For A Couple Of Days
Maiku's Kind Ghost

Mibba
July 20th, 2007 at 10:13pm
If The Christian's think that their Children will become witches after reading a Harry Potter book, then obviously THEY are doing a bad job at instilling the faith. Humm.... Maybe they should stop condeming everything left and right and and buring books and generally being ignorant.....maybe then they might KEEP more people in the fath.
CopperheaD
Geek
CopperheaD
July 20th, 2007 at 10:16pm
O_o Those people who are offended do know it's not real, right?
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
July 20th, 2007 at 10:36pm
CopperheaD:
O_o Those people who are offended do know it's not real, right?
I don't know, I think they don't if they still do it.
GD Addicts Anonymous
Falling In Love With The Board
GD Addicts Anonymous
July 21st, 2007 at 12:20am
Nobody I know makes a big deal about it. Before I started reading the books and watching the movies, my mom actually had me ask my youth pastor at my old church, who's now my pastor, what he thought about it and he just said, "I heard it's something you should stay away from," but that's all I remember him saying. He didn't act dramatic about it or anything.
I'm a Christian and I'm into Harry Potter. It's not like I'm going to become a witch or something, I don't even believe in magic, but I love the books. Who is anyone to say whether it's right or wrong? God could say it was wrong because it deals with witchcraft, but God could also say it's fine because it's not actually doing it. But at least it teaches doing good over doing evil. I'm not even going to try to decide, I'm just going to read it and go on my merry way.
Dom
Jackass
Dom
July 21st, 2007 at 09:38am
im sure theres hundreds of books involving witchecraft, sorcery, divination and all that kind of thing. Why are these people singling these books out as evil? America seems so backwards at times.
davey jones.
Falling In Love With The Board
davey jones.

Mibba Blog
July 21st, 2007 at 10:24am
My mom used to not let me read them when I was younger. I got the first one for for Cristmas and she wouldn't let me have it. She was like, "the Bible says..."
And I say, "but mom it's not real it's just a book and it's really good."

Now she really doesn't care.
Whatever, her religious extremities have died down over the years.
Were going to see the movie tomorrow. Laughing
cabot gal
GSBitch
cabot gal

Mibba
July 21st, 2007 at 11:59am
I keep thinking the title says "Harry Potter for Christmas" Coolio
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
July 21st, 2007 at 12:24pm
Dom:
im sure theres hundreds of books involving witchecraft, sorcery, divination and all that kind of thing. Why are these people singling these books out as evil? America seems so backwards at times.
That is a good point but its only in New Mexico where extremist protestant pastors burn these books.

It's kinda stupid because they give money to JKRowling and they burn them, so they're giving her more money and inciting her to write more.
Register