Body Modification

AuthorMessage
Raina Lupa
Addict
Raina Lupa
November 2nd, 2007 at 07:45pm
Good old wikipedia:
Body modification (or body alteration) is the permanent or semi-permanent deliberate altering of the human body for non-medical reasons, such as spiritual, various social (markings), BDSM "edgeplay" or aesthetic. It can range from the socially acceptable decoration (e.g., pierced ears in many societies), to the overtly religiously mandated (e.g., circumcision in a number of cultures) to corporal punishment, to provocative statement by the rebellious (e.g., tongue splitting). Some even become physically addicted to the adrenaline/endorphin release associated with a painful procedure in a way analogous to that experienced by those who Self-injure. Some people experience an abstract but distinct compulsion to modify their body that appears to have no underlying or external reason.

Some futurists, such as those who identify as transhumanist, believe that eventually humans will pursue body modification with more advanced technological means, such as permanently implanted devices to enhance mental and physical capabilities, thereby becoming cyborgs, this has been explored in fiction such as the The Six Million Dollar Man or Dr. Who's Cybermen. For the substantial number of people with heart pacemakers and brain implants such as cochlear implants and electrical brain stimulators for Parkinson's disease, this is already a reality.

Body art is any body modification for artistic or aesthetic reasons. However the term is often extended to all socially significant markings, often displaying the bearer belongs to some hereditary (e.g. tribal), age, religious or other group, and therefore on body parts that remain or can be 'decently' exposed in public, except if the group is private or even secret.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_modification
I encourage everyone to read the article to fully appreciate the wide range of practices this topic covers.

I have several tattoos and intend to get some more, possibly including a scarification. I also have both earlobes pierced twice. I am considering cosmetic surgery to correct two features that I feel are majorly wrong, and one that is mildly sub-standard at the minute. I'm also very interested in finding out about wearing true corsets to shape my midsection.

I see my body as a rough sketch, a quick model for me to tweak and refine as I see fit. However, some of the practices mentioned in the article are just too extreme for me to even consider. Things like foot binding, for example...I appreciate it's a cultural difference, but it just seems very strange to me.

A few leading questions to get the discussion going, if the rest of my post has not yet inspired some thoughts:
What is your overall view of body modification?
Do you indulge in any of the afforementioned practices?
What are your opinions of some of the individual methods?
What, if anything, do you find unacceptable?

Discuss Smile
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
November 3rd, 2007 at 03:07am
I plan on getting multiple tattoos, and pierce my nose and get an additional six peircings in my ear. If I knew a place where I could get a true corset, I'd wear that in a flash.

I think that as long as anything is done safely and taken care of after the procedure, then it should be acceptable. A person should be completely in charge of what they wish to do to their body, assuming such decisions are legal and not life-threatening.
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
November 3rd, 2007 at 02:21pm
I think that it's ok if you seriously need it. But not when you're ok how you are.

Tatoos and piercings are ok, but I mean you're not gonna get a liposuction when you are slim. I think it's just supid.
The Doctor
Falling In Love With The Board
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
November 3rd, 2007 at 02:54pm

I find it fascinating to look at but I know I couldn't do it myself due to my morbid fear of needles etc.

No...

Whatever makes them tick then is fine by me as long as the equipment is sterile.

Cyborgs because (although I know how to kill a Cyberman) it wouldn't be...right. Besides, some idiot might get the idea in his head that you could make super-soldiers from this...hence why I always worry when Doctor Who goes to America.
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
November 3rd, 2007 at 03:58pm
I fail at understanding scarrification. It's self harm on a completely different level.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
November 3rd, 2007 at 07:18pm
Pierce yourself and tattoo yourself. Be my frikkin guest. Just don't...I dunno. I can't stand looking at scars or scarred people. People who pierce their ears are fine by me. I have mine pierced.

What really bugs me though is when people say "Oh how barbaric! These modern fads! That's disgusting!" ...STFU. Ear-peircing is not a modern fad. It goes back to Ancient Egypt, India, Mesopotamia even! Same with tattoos. They are a symbol of culture and heritage and I won't have some old woman at the bus stop tut-tutting at me because I had my ears pierced.
Raina Lupa
Addict
Raina Lupa
November 3rd, 2007 at 09:44pm
Cobra:
I fail at understanding scarrification. It's self harm on a completely different level.

I get where you're coming from, but Scarification pieces can be beautiful, and individual on an even deeper level than tattoos, as how you care for it greatly influences the final look.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
November 3rd, 2007 at 10:36pm
lyrical_mess:
What really bugs me though is when people say "Oh how barbaric! These modern fads! That's disgusting!" ...STFU. Ear-peircing is not a modern fad. It goes back to Ancient Egypt, India, Mesopotamia even! Same with tattoos. They are a symbol of culture and heritage and I won't have some old woman at the bus stop tut-tutting at me because I had my ears pierced.
I know! I especially hate when people look at people with guages or such and call them disgusting. Guaging is an African custom, you can go there today and see men and women with enlarged earlobes. It's a part of their culture, and I think it's beyond ignorant when others call it disgusting and such.
Richard Nixon.
Banned
Richard Nixon.
November 3rd, 2007 at 10:42pm
I think it can go too far when it really damages the person such as feet binding, Lip Discing, Neck stretching and so forth.
But simple reversable body modification is okay, it's their choice if they want to gauge so much that the skin has to be surgically re-shaped.

Gauging and I plan on getting a tattoo at some point, maybe a large tribal/primal piece, I might also get a surface piercing.

As long as you use the right equipment and keep it sterile to avoid infections etc it's cool with me, I do my own piercings. But never do your own surface piercings in a dangerous place or your tongue, you need professional piercers for that.

Something that permanatly does damage to your body, it's not cool to fuck up your skeleton.
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
November 4th, 2007 at 12:17am
Electric Pussycat:
Cobra:

I get where you're coming from, but Scarification pieces can be beautiful, and individual on an even deeper level than tattoos, as how you care for it greatly influences the final look.

Many people say it's the same thing if you get a tattoo, a piercing or a scar, but I just think it can't be compared. It's just something I'm strongly against.
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
November 4th, 2007 at 12:21am
I think corsets should be mentioned.
Personally, I think it's beautiful in such a strange way. Of course I don't approve of such an unnecessary damage of internal organs, yet can't stop admiring women who choose to wear them.

~~ Courtney will definitely have something to say
Sylar
Sylar
November 4th, 2007 at 08:28am
When done tastefully, it can be beautiful, but people who look like human pin cushions disgust me. I know they have their rights and they and many others like it, but it's just not my thing.

I have two tattoos (three next month) and several piercings. I want a small scarification, but I'll be looking into it a bit more before going ahead with it.

Doing things yourself= stupid
Not doing the proper research= stupid
Getting something like a tattoo because it's the new fashion= stupid

Clit piercings. I'm so against them it's not funny o.O
Richard Nixon.
Banned
Richard Nixon.
November 4th, 2007 at 01:25pm
Tokyo Hardcore:
When done tastefully, it can be beautiful, but people who look like human pin cushions disgust me. I know they have their rights and they and many others like it, but it's just not my thing.

I have two tattoos (three next month) and several piercings. I want a small scarification, but I'll be looking into it a bit more before going ahead with it.

Doing things yourself= stupid
Not doing the proper research= stupid
Getting something like a tattoo because it's the new fashion= stupid

Clit piercings. I'm so against them it's not funny o.O

I think clit piercings are gross tbh.

There's been the fashion with females it seems everywhere who are "hxc" to get tattoo'd sleeves and one ig ugly ass chest piece.
It actually offends me with their idiocy.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
November 4th, 2007 at 05:33pm
I Kill Children.:

There's been the fashion with females it seems everywhere who are "hxc" to get tattoo'd sleeves and one ig ugly ass chest piece.
I'm getting a chest piece. Don't call something idiotic unless you understand why we'd get it. I find chest pieces beautiful, and I find sleeves beautiful, and I think it's idiotic of you both to take issue with it. It's not your body. We're free to do whatever we please to them, and it won't bother you.
Richard Nixon.
Banned
Richard Nixon.
November 4th, 2007 at 05:51pm
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
I Kill Children.:

I'm getting a chest piece. Don't call something idiotic unless you understand why we'd get it. I find chest pieces beautiful, and I find sleeves beautiful, and I think it's idiotic of you both to take issue with it. It's not your body. We're free to do whatever we please to them, and it won't bother you.

No I meant the ugly cliche ones that loads of them get that are like the same.
Normal chest pieces selected with meaning are awesome but the sudden outburst of what I described with scene chicks really irritates me because it's all this hxc stuff that doesn't seem to be sentimental or mean anything to them.
Sylar
Sylar
November 5th, 2007 at 03:05am
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
I Kill Children.:

I beg your pardon? When the hell did I say I had a problem with them?
Honestly, is there a single fricking post in this forum you don't take personal offence to?
ONCE, JUST ONCE, let us have a conversation without butting in and turning it ugly!
Sylar
Sylar
November 5th, 2007 at 03:09am
I Kill Children.:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
I Kill Children.:

Normal chest pieces selected with meaning are awesome but the sudden outburst of what I described with scene chicks really irritates me because it's all this hxc stuff that doesn't seem to be sentimental or mean anything to them.

Most of us know what you mean, and probably agree. I myself dislike big chest pieces on women. I don't have a problem with say... Collar bone tatts, I actually plan to get two black and grey swallows on either side Cool
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
November 5th, 2007 at 11:49pm
I Kill Children.:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
I Kill Children.:

I don't know that any tattoos are cliche, since they're usually selected specifically by the person getting them. Dno
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
November 5th, 2007 at 11:52pm
Tokyo Hardcore:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
I Kill Children.:

I beg your pardon? When the hell did I say I had a problem with them?
Honestly, is there a single fricking post in this forum you don't take personal offence to?
ONCE, JUST ONCE, let us have a conversation without butting in and turning it ugly!
I've encountered you in what, two threads? Don't presume that you know the contents of every post I'm responsible for in this forum. I take personal offence to someone saying that a tattoo I designed personally and plan to get done is ugly just because a bunch of other girls are getting it. No one's turning anything ugly, I'm stating my opinion.
I've no interest in debating with you, since you don't seem to grasp the concept of debating. I'm done speaking with you, tbh.
Richard Nixon.
Banned
Richard Nixon.
November 6th, 2007 at 08:03pm
Tokyo Hardcore:
I Kill Children.:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
I Kill Children.:

Most of us know what you mean, and probably agree. I myself dislike big chest pieces on women. I don't have a problem with say... Collar bone tatts, I actually plan to get two black and grey swallows on either side Cool

Nice one, swallows are sort of cliche now which sucks but they're still pretty on women, I'm just fussy, when I get a tattoo I want it to be original, I want a spine tattoo but I'm not saying it yet here because I want it to be at least semi-original.
Thanks.
Register