How did you get into The Clash?

AuthorMessage
whoa
King For A Couple Of Days
whoa
January 7th, 2008 at 06:22pm
Last time I was out there was a tribute to Sandanista being sold. I don't know why though, it seems like most people don't like that record too much.
High Fidelity
Falling In Love With The Board
High Fidelity
January 8th, 2008 at 03:28pm
whoa:
Last time I was out there was a tribute to Sandanista being sold. I don't know why though, it seems like most people don't like that record too much.
Yeah, I saw that too, the Sandinista! Project. And personally, I love Sandinista! tehe
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 9th, 2008 at 05:23am
A lot of people don't like it because a lot of critics don't like it. And it's generally considered to be cultured when you agree with snotty music critics who were never good enough to be musicians thenselves.
wfougoafoihqfe
wfougoafoihqfe
January 9th, 2008 at 01:45pm
Anji:
A lot of people don't like it because a lot of critics don't like it. And it's generally considered to be cultured when you agree with snotty music critics who were never good enough to be musicians thenselves.
Clap
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
January 10th, 2008 at 07:39am
My favourite album, actually. Coolio
whoa
King For A Couple Of Days
whoa
January 10th, 2008 at 07:41pm
I like Sandanista too. I never said that I didn't. I enjoy listening to the different textures when a headache is killing me, I find it oddly soothing. Very Happy
j'adore.
Geek
j'adore.

Mibba Blog
January 26th, 2008 at 02:38pm
I actually can't remember.
I knew the song, Should I Stay Or Should I Go - but then most people who don't even like or really know The Clash know that song.
When I heard Rock The Casbah, I had such a strong feeling that I recognized it from somewhere, so that and my kinda-close-friend, Ali.B who's sister's boyfriend likes The Clash (and he looks like Johnny Rotten) got me into them even more.
Olivia Wilde.
Addict
Olivia Wilde.

Blog
February 11th, 2008 at 09:16pm
I got into them because 2 years ago at a 9/11 benefit concert, one of the bands covered London Calling. The song sounded really amazing.

And I loved them ever since Very Happy
CanYouFeelIt
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
CanYouFeelIt
June 16th, 2008 at 07:07pm
i was watching End Of Century: Story Of The Ramones and it was saying that when the ramones went to the UK that The Clash and The Sex Pistols wanted to meet them so i found a CD and uploaded it to my computer :]
plus my mom was really into them
Skippy.
Skippy.

Mibba
June 21st, 2008 at 07:48am
I came on GSB and met a bunch of people that listen to them. So then I decided to download them. OMGyes
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 23rd, 2008 at 11:10am
Shameless.:
I came on GSB and met a bunch of people that listen to them. So then I decided to download them. OMGyes
Cheers. Cheese Mr. Green
knockout
Geek
knockout

Mibba
July 7th, 2008 at 10:03pm
Well, for one thing, my dad likes them and we have the greatest hits album The Story of The Clash: Volume 1. His favorite song is "London Calling," and I had liked that song for years without really knowing it was The Clash. Then I got into Green Day around the time American Idiot came out, and they kept mentioning in all these interviews that they liked The Clash a lot and that The Clash was one of their biggest influences, along with The Ramones and The Sex Pistols and The Replacements and all that. So then one day I asked my dad if he had any Clash albums, and he took me over to the CD tower thing next to our stereo and found The Story of The Clash in there for me and he let me borrow it. It turns out that I knew and liked a lot more Clash songs than I'd thought, it was just that I'd liked them but never known who the artist was who performed them.

Then in eighth grade I had an American history teacher who loved punk (and music in general) to death. He grew up in a small town where there was really nothing to do, so he and his friends would go up to the Bay Area a lot and see shows. I remember I totally freaked out and wouldn't shut up during a field trip to a college, all because he had an Operation Ivy patch lon his backpack. We had a ways to walk to get where we needed to be on the campus, and the whole time me and him talked about Bay Area bands and stuff like that. It was fucking awesome.
And sometimes he would play music to help us better understand the stuff we were learning about. Like, for example, when we were learning about the Bill of Rights and the Constitution, he played "Know Your Rights." I was the only one in the class who appreciated his using music to help us understand concepts. Everyone else in the class were either rap-crap lovers or emos, or just complained that the music was "old".
So on the last day of school he gave me a mix CD with Clash songs on it and Clash covers and songs that mentioned The Clash. When I thanked him, he said he knew I'd appreciate it. And I really did. I love that CD.

So, in short, I have my dad, Green Day, and my eighth grade history teacher to thank for sparking my interest in The Clash.

P.S. Joe Strummer was an incredible human being.
"Keep listening to the Great Joe Strummer, 'cause, through music, he can live FOREVER!"
-Rancid
"Indestructible"
Yvonne.
Yvonne.
July 12th, 2008 at 06:18am
Karma Police.:
wild at heart
Idiot
wild at heart

Blog
July 16th, 2008 at 04:59am
well i used to listen to the ramones all the time and i decided to try out other punk bands, i already knew the song 'Should I stay or should I go' so i decided to start with the clash, i didn't like them at the beginning, but after i listened to london calling a few times i really got into them... and now i have the whole discography
Right_Profile
Idiot
Right_Profile
July 17th, 2008 at 11:36am
I knew a few of their hits, but when my cousin sent me disc one of Clash on Broadway it was like BLAM! GZA WORSHIP!
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 22nd, 2008 at 10:03am
I love your avatar. My Photoshop isn't working for some reason so I have been miserable for the past couple of months, unable to do anything artistic-y on my computer. Molly
Right_Profile
Idiot
Right_Profile
July 22nd, 2008 at 03:13pm
Moi? Thanks, yours is quite swell too! Con I didn't make mine, unfortunately I don't have any sweet avatar making programs yet. I got it here where there are other great Clash/Joe avatars. Dance
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
July 25th, 2008 at 12:16am
I think Right_Profile might actually stick around after they're through posting on this thread... just a feeling... Con
Right_Profile
Idiot
Right_Profile
July 27th, 2008 at 10:20am
Dude--I check this thread every single day to see if anyone has posted anything bout the Clash! But alas, it is not very busy around here. Molly
Hitchcock Starlet
Addict
Hitchcock Starlet
July 27th, 2008 at 03:45pm
The story goes:
Me and my cousin kinda got into punk at the same time. So we started borrowing CDs from other people who were into punk. We borrowed one CD that had bunch of Ramones and Clash songs and we really liked them both.
Now we're two Clash-obsessed teenies Retard
Register