Green Day: Rock Band

AuthorMessage
greenday6
Admin
greenday6
May 20th, 2010 at 03:58pm
Comrade182:
I have Guitar Hero (world tour and Metallica) instruments, and they work fine with Rock Band 2. Maybe earlier GH guitars don't work with RB, idk I'm guessing now lol.

I prefer Bass, my fingers don't like chords much so I'm not so great on guitar above Hard. But I play Bass on Expert, still a few songs that are a pain in the arse on it though haha. I'm not great at drums either, although I haven't practised on them much.
I didn't know that they changed them! I know that Guitar Hero 3, and Rock Band 1 controllers were incompatible with eachother.
Comrade182
Comrade182
May 20th, 2010 at 05:00pm
I've only been playing since World Tour, and since that came out after Rock Band, I'm assuming that they decided to make the controllers work on both games, but still make it so the Guitars from earlier GH games work on the newer Band versions of it.

But this is just me guessing, but it does seem like the most logical step for both game developers, since then they can just imitate each others instrument technology and neither really gets too big of an advantage over the other. But yeah GH: World Tour and Later Instruments work fine on Rock Band and Rock Band instruments work fine on Guitar Hero, according to my friends.
greenday6
Admin
greenday6
May 20th, 2010 at 05:50pm
I've been playing since the first Guitar Hero came out on PS2. They should just have universal controllers for each system, because with them both making controllers, and revising them it's a bitch. It would be smarter for them to just have universal instrument controllers, because then it would be like the Wii Fit, where it's the only option. I don't know how good that idea is financially for both though, because of how much they make on instruments alone each year. But with all of the money that I'm not spending on controllers, I might be able to afford more of their games. But Rock Band controllers look the coolest, but I like the Guitar Hero buttons and strum bar better.
Comrade182
Comrade182
May 20th, 2010 at 08:36pm
Yeah i know what you mean.
I think Rock band Controllers have always been able to work with Guitar Hero, but Guitar Hero obviously didn't need to make their universal before GH:WT since there was no other game like it. But then they revised them for World Tour so they were universal as well.
I've never seen/used any Rock Band instruments, so I don't know which I prefer. I prefer playing through Guitar Hero, but I think there are (generally) better songs on Rock Band... why can't these people just work together and make one awesome game!! Grr
greenday6
Admin
greenday6
May 20th, 2010 at 09:32pm
I remember reading an article about either Guitar Hero or Rock Band wanted to create some kind of patch or like an add on that you would add to the controller and it would make it compatible with both, but whoever the other company was took legal action against it. I just can't remember which company was which right now. I don't have Guitar Hero 5 or Rock Band 2 yet, I've really liked all of the regular Guitar Hero's, and Rock Band 1 and Beatles. But I really thought that Guitar Hero was going to kill this whole music gaming thing with Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Band Hero, and DJ Hero. Guitar Hero Van Halen's pretty good though, but I'm not sure what Billy Idol and the other bands have to do with Van Halen. That's part of the reason why I'm glad that Rock Band is making the Green Day game, because who knows what Guitar Hero would've put in the game to sell it. But I think Rock Band has a lot of awesome downloadable content, like they've even got some songs from bands that I like that aren't really big like Locksley. But that stuff's gets expensive, especially if you go and download a whole album. I think having 2 separate games is good though, because then there's more options and it kind of forces them to bust their ass on them because it keeps it competitive.

EDIT: I googled it, but didn't feel like editing whatever I typed so here's an article about the whole compatibility patch lawsuit.
Comrade182
Comrade182
May 21st, 2010 at 03:58am
That doesn't surprise me really, Activision are one of the older (and grumpier) game companies about, and they do like to make money. It was a very dumb move by them though. But I suppose with World Tour coming out and alot of people buying the band pack it wouldn't have been too much of a problem for most people. *shrugs* another one of those gaming industry mysteries I suppose lol
It's good to see that Red Octane just want the players to enjoy the whole music experience though, as well as Harmonix.
ANd you're right about the keeping it competitive thing, but it would be awesome to see Rock Band improve the visuals in the game.. not so much realism, but so your 'band' doesn't seem to be jumping all over the place and just... idk it's too early for me to describe the things that I noticed with it.
I also agree that Rock Band has some awesome DLC, GH has some good stuff, but they seem to aim at what is popular, not so much fun, i think anyway. I don't get the GH 'add 20 other bands to this bands game, although the extra song on Metallica were pretty good, I thought thet could've done a bit more... idk.
We Are 138
Geek
We Are 138

Mibba
May 21st, 2010 at 08:43am
I know what you mean about the visuals, particularly with the GH games. Sometimes it just doesn't fit with the song at all. From the previews, I'd say the animation for Green Day doesn't look as good as Metallica. Just my opinion, but the animation of thier mouths moving to the words doesn't look as defined as the characters in GH:Metallica.
Rafael Nadal
Addict
Rafael Nadal
May 21st, 2010 at 09:10am
The animated Billie kind of creeps me out a little...Shifty
Comrade182
Comrade182
May 21st, 2010 at 11:17am
The difference between the Metallica game and the Green Day one is that Metallica actually wore the funny bobble suits and glasses for the motion capture where as Green Day chickened out and they got in a tribute band to do it, so it will look a bit different to how the guys actually are.
But visually GH have Activision behind them to help with all that sort of thing, where as RB just have MTV Games who I don't recall releasing a game before Rock Band.

and yeah the animated guys are a bit strange, to say the least haha
Rafael Nadal
Addict
Rafael Nadal
May 21st, 2010 at 01:59pm
Comrade182:
The difference between the Metallica game and the Green Day one is that Metallica actually wore the funny bobble suits and glasses for the motion capture where as Green Day chickened out and they got in a tribute band to do it, so it will look a bit different to how the guys actually are.

Is this why they're so creepy looking?!

and...

why are you so knowledgeable on this? Shocked
Comrade182
Comrade182
May 21st, 2010 at 02:04pm
Doctor Watson:
Is this why they're so creepy looking?!

and...

why are you so knowledgeable on this? Shocked

Not really, the motion capture just acts as a 'skeleton' for them to work with, they can resize it so they appear the correct height and size etc. the look is due to not so much effort being put into the graphics. But you're going to spend the majority of your time looking at the highway... or whatever it's called in Rock Band, so the visual effects aren't the most important thing in these games (nor should they be in any game... but it does help lol)

And I'm knowledgeable on these things because gaming is pretty much my only hobbie, so I read articles, watch videos and just learn about how all this stuff (technical term, don't argue with me about it! =P) is done. Very Happy
Rafael Nadal
Addict
Rafael Nadal
May 21st, 2010 at 02:20pm
Stuff? Stuff?! =P
She...
King For A Couple Of Days
She...
May 21st, 2010 at 02:48pm
I like singing (: Mainly cos I constantly sing anyway, so singing on a video game isnt really that hard, drums is fun too, although im pretty crap on anythin other than easy/medium modes Confused
Comrade182
Comrade182
May 25th, 2010 at 09:52am
The Demo game is now on Xbox Live, it has two songs, but I won't know what they are until it's downloaded, and you can play any of the instruments (or vocals) Very Happy
We Are 138
Geek
We Are 138

Mibba
May 25th, 2010 at 11:45am
Comrade182:
The Demo game is now on Xbox Live, it has two songs, but I won't know what they are until it's downloaded, and you can play any of the instruments (or vocals) Very Happy

Thanks for the heads up, going to download Smile
Comrade182
Comrade182
May 25th, 2010 at 01:04pm
Demo songs are:
BoBD played at Milton Keynes
and
Welcome To Paradise played at The Warehouse

It looks awesome and sounds it to. Can't wait to play the actual game now Very Happy
Also the loading screens are great xD
Pink Bunny ftw!!
We Are 138
Geek
We Are 138

Mibba
May 25th, 2010 at 03:38pm
Had a go at the demo, I'd say the guitar is easier than previous Rockband/GH games, but the drums are harder. Anyone else find that?
Comrade182
Comrade182
May 25th, 2010 at 04:27pm
I've only had chance to play Bass so far and I thought it was about the same.
Will give the others a go tomorrow when i've been able to put some money on the Invisible Magic (aka electricity)
Comrade182
Comrade182
May 26th, 2010 at 06:50am
Anyone else notice the Rock Band 3 thing at the end of the Demo... with the keyboard symbol as well. Very Happy
We Are 138
Geek
We Are 138

Mibba
May 26th, 2010 at 01:10pm
Comrade182:
Anyone else notice the Rock Band 3 thing at the end of the Demo... with the keyboard symbol as well. Very Happy

Ooooh :3
Though it's been done before, wasn't there a keyboard teaching thing on the original Nintendo? But yeah, interesting concept.
Register