Death penalty

AuthorMessage
Automatic man
King For A Couple Of Days
Automatic man
May 27th, 2005 at 10:57pm
[quote="Flaming Phalanges!"]We've been doing about the death penalty in English lately. We watched this video where it interviewed people and asked them if they would have commited their crimes if the death penalty were in place and they said no. I mean if it makes people stop and think for a second then it's obviously worth something.
Also, what if these people escape? There's a chance that they'll reoffend. When they're released, there's a chance they'll reoffend then too.
The bible says an eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth. I know it later contradicts itself and not all people believe in religion but you know...
It's also closure for the famillies of the victim and stuff and if crime was rape then the victim will feel safer once the rapists is dead.
I have loads of points cos we ad to write a speech and shtuff...
Oh yeah, and we're paying for these bastards to be kept alive with money which could be spent on improving our country, a better health service, more police officers, better public transport etc but we're spending it on these scumbags even though prisons are crowded and overflowing.

I think that rapists and murderers should receive the death penalty - they're the most heinous crimes that could ever be commited so they deserve the death penalty.

A severe crime deserves a severe punishment.[/quoteYou have some facts mixed up. It costs more for an execution than to feed prisoners. Look, almost noone escapes anywmore and when they do they are almost always caught again. I also would guess that most people that escapeonly escaped because they were on death row and feared for their lives. I would also like to talk about your "will provide closure for your victim's families" arguement. I know humans would feel better when revenge is enacted but if we were all smarter we would be able to realize that a executing a prisoner will give us nothing to gain and if you really feel bad about the death you'd realize that another death will only make it worse....
Astra Slappy
Astra Slappy
May 28th, 2005 at 02:46am
NeoSteph:
i figured this deserved it's own thread.

I'm against, i understand the idea that Jails are over crowded. However it is hard to decide who has the right to live and die and theres the problem of what if you were wrong. The last women to be executed in England was hanged because in self defense she killed her abusive husband, today she would of been out in 5 years.

Yes the punishment system is becoming to relaxed but capital punishment has way to many problems attached to it.

Capital punishment = bad. It solves nothing and doesn't really punish the criminal IMO. Once they're dead, they're dead. That's it. To me it seems better to have the bastard rot in jail for the rest of their lives thinking about what they've done. And also, there have been a number of cases where people imprisoned for murder etc have turned out to be innocent. So if you kill 'em, you can't exactly come out and say "oops, we killed the wrong guy".
Another issue I have with capital punishment is that society is supposed to condemn murder, not legitimise it. A society like the States that is so religious in many ways does itself no favours by killing its criminals and broadcasting it on TV for all the voyeurs to watch (and yes, Dubya, I'm talking about you). What would Jesus think -- the man who told his followers to "turn the other cheek" and was himself a victim of capital punishment at the hands of the Roman Empire? Makes no bloody sense to me ... or does it just reek of hypocrisy?
Fely
Basket Case
Fely
May 28th, 2005 at 06:58am
i don't agree with the death penalty because if someone murders someone then if they get the death sentance is just someone killing someone again.it doesn't really make sense.
girl almighty
GSBitch
girl almighty
May 28th, 2005 at 07:39am
PrettyVacant:
i don't agree with the death penalty because if someone murders someone then if they get the death sentance is just someone killing someone again.it doesn't really make sense.

i suppose it rests on where you believe "an eye for an eye" is a good punishment
Fely
Basket Case
Fely
May 28th, 2005 at 07:53am
*Redundant*Rebel*:
PrettyVacant:

i suppose it rests on where you believe "an eye for an eye" is a good punishment
well i don't think so........
basketcase17
basketcase17
May 28th, 2005 at 08:10am
PrettyVacant:
*Redundant*Rebel*:
PrettyVacant:

well i don't think so........
me neither.....
† Lestat †
Idiot
† Lestat †
May 28th, 2005 at 03:35pm
I believe that it is wrong to take someones life even if they have commited a crime but i do believe punishement is becoming slack and something needs to be done
† foresaken †
Geek
† foresaken †
June 3rd, 2005 at 05:36am
bring back the public hangings but only if it's a serious crime and the defendant had admitted to the crime or there is substantial eveidence agianst them
->Insert Name Here<
Idiot
->Insert Name Here<
June 3rd, 2005 at 08:36am
I don't agree with the death punshiment. I mean people can abuse that power they have and why should we give people the right to decide if somebody lives or dies. A human life is a human life no matter what they have done.
As for the punishment part of this, isn't it more painful for the person to be kept alive in jail and also they will know what wrong they have done.
losers_are_cool
losers_are_cool
June 4th, 2005 at 12:55pm
I strongly don't agree with it.

First of all, all killing someone for murder is, is murder. It's kind of like saying that it's okay to murder someone. You get a very long sentence if you kill someone who killed a loved one and I think that this is kinda the same thing.

Secondly, I think a much more harsh punishment would be to throw them in a top security prison for a life sentence. Killing them would be like setting them free. They would never have to think about what they did, or listen to the family members cry. Keeping someone in prison can drive them insane and I think they should have to be forced to think about what they did. It's not fair that they be set free from all the stresses and pains of life while the person they killed's loved one's have to go on thinking about it and suffering so much pain for the rest of their life.

That's just what I think and I'm really tired so I might have forgotten something.
losers_are_cool
losers_are_cool
June 4th, 2005 at 12:56pm
-Random Reject-:
I don't agree with the death punshiment. I mean people can abuse that power they have and why should we give people the right to decide if somebody lives or dies. A human life is a human life no matter what they have done.
As for the punishment part of this, isn't it more painful for the person to be kept alive in jail and also they will know what wrong they have done.
I didn't even see that! Yeah. I agree with everything you just said. (see my above post)
LittleSister
Falling In Love With The Board
LittleSister
June 4th, 2005 at 02:13pm
losers_are_cool:
-Random Reject-:
I didn't even see that! Yeah. I agree with everything you just said. (see my above post)

agree with both of you. nobody can decide who should die or live... and you're right that sometimes life is worse punishment that death.
and, for example, think about family and friends of this person who is said to be killed. they would hate people who said that... and it's lead to endless hate and crimes. thats what i think/
losers_are_cool
losers_are_cool
June 4th, 2005 at 05:16pm
losers_are_cool:

First of all, all killing someone for murder is, is murder. It's kind of like saying that it's okay to murder someone. You get a very long sentence if you kill someone who killed a loved one and I think that this is kinda the same thing.

Secondly, I think a much more harsh punishment would be to throw them in a top security prison for a life sentence. Killing them would be like setting them free. They would never have to think about what they did, or listen to the family members cry. Keeping someone in prison can drive them insane and I think they should have to be forced to think about what they did. It's not fair that they be set free from all the stresses and pains of life while the person they killed's loved one's have to go on thinking about it and suffering so much pain for the rest of their life.

That's just what I think and I'm really tired so I might have forgotten something.
Oh and I think that if someone kills one person and knows they'll get caught then they might kill more people just for the hell of it. There's no seperate punishment for killing 1 cop or like 4 cops that I know of
Sincerely_Forgotten
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Sincerely_Forgotten
June 4th, 2005 at 07:23pm
losers_are_cool:

I'm totally and completely with Gwen on this.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 6th, 2005 at 06:41pm
I think it teachers others to be careful. And it also helps getting people to confess. But sometimes, it's just not right.
Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
June 7th, 2005 at 06:13am
Some people deserve to be killed. If someone has commited an atrocity then they should suffer like they made others. You know, sort of put them through hell before giving them the chair. I understand that Britain still has the death penalty. If you commit high treason or blow up one of the Queen's boats during war time then you can be sentenced to death. I also think Piracy carries the Death Penalty so watch out all you illegal copiers of music. . .
Automatic man
Automatic man
June 7th, 2005 at 06:36pm
409 Coffeemaker:
Some people deserve to be killed. If someone has commited an atrocity then they should suffer like they made others. You know, sort of put them through hell before giving them the chair. I understand that Britain still has the death penalty. If you commit high treason or blow up one of the Queen's boats during war time then you can be sentenced to death. I also think Piracy carries the Death Penalty so watch out all you illegal copiers of music. . .

This just doesn't make sense to me. why wshould they die? You said to suffer, bu in my views making someone suffer is only good for changing them or getting a secret. Why change them before they die if it will be of no use? And, why not just lock them up without bail? It does the same thing without the extra cost and pain for th family of the accuser. In my opinion there is nothing to gain from the death penalty.
*St.Jimmy*
Geek
*St.Jimmy*
June 7th, 2005 at 08:08pm
I think that the death penalty needs to be used in some cases. there are some people that you just cant let go. They need to be dealt with. It may sound harsh, but it is true.
Comrade182
Comrade182
June 8th, 2005 at 08:10am
It think the best idea is to keep the system for death penalties the way it is. Although some countrys (Including the UK) should reintroduce it as a way to put people off commit serious crimes. But the ways in which the sentences are carried out changed, it's stupid for it to cost less to keep someone alive than it would be to execute them.

Bring back the noose or shoot them, that can't cost that much! Can it?
GreenDayIsBetter
Idiot
GreenDayIsBetter
June 11th, 2005 at 12:29pm
I don't like the death penalty, too many innocent people get sent there. I personally see nothing wrong with life imprisonment (as long as it doesn't become too comfortable for the bastard).
Register