Gender bias

AuthorMessage
bloodstone
Geek
bloodstone
May 26th, 2005 at 02:33pm
is there a gender bias in today's society? any double standards? are men and women treated equally these days? what's your stance, and why?
girl almighty
GSBitch
girl almighty
May 26th, 2005 at 02:35pm
no - classic example: guy with lots of girls "the man" girl with lots of guys: "slag"
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
May 26th, 2005 at 02:38pm
Theres an underlying problem into day soceity for example, fair pay. It seems right well WRONG. On paper a man and women get the same pay but thats excluding the fact that to hide their bias employers will give pay rises in the way of promotion, this is done by giving a man a different job title but still working the same job he used to.

Men and Women will never be equal, 2000 years of history, it's hard to start again. We're making a progress though.
girl almighty
GSBitch
girl almighty
May 26th, 2005 at 02:43pm
it is a lot fairer than it used to be but i think there will always be certain stereotypes that are going to be hard to get rid of. but it is illegal to pay men and women different for the same job but its hard to prove if it is going on. and stereotypes in jobs mean people still raise eyebrows - like at female mechanics or male nannies. but it is better than before. i think young people today still have the stereotypes thrown at them, so it wont chnage quickly, if ever totally
jimmydied2day
Idiot
jimmydied2day
May 26th, 2005 at 02:44pm
there's always going to be outrage when a woman gets this job and a man gets that job.
i think its unfair that there is sexual discrimination, and i agree that in most cases this is unacceptable.
however, there are some jobs that require different strengths and qualtites, perhaps which a man is better suited to in one case, and a woman in another.

Also, the Fathers 4 justice thing, i do think its unfair that the father is seen as the enemy in divorce and child cases. and something like 9/10 children from 1 parent households live with their mum. fair play if it is their choice, but i think it is wrong to assume the mother is more fit to raise a child
bloodstone
Geek
bloodstone
May 26th, 2005 at 02:48pm
NeoSteph:
Theres an underlying problem into day soceity for example, fair pay. It seems right well WRONG. On paper a man and women get the same pay but thats excluding the fact that to hide their bias employers will give pay rises in the way of promotion, this is done by giving a man a different job title but still working the same job he used to.

Men and Women will never be equal, 2000 years of history, it's hard to start again. We're making a progress though.

no - classic example: guy with lots of girls "the man" girl with lots of guys: "slag"

first of all, i totally agree with both of you...and it is better than it was in the fifties and through the years we have been making things better, but lately it's like women in general have just given up the fight. many are starting to succumb to the image that the media is projecting---everyone needs to be perfect, thin, and pretty. magazines show women wearing barely anything, and so that's what the majority seems to copy...i don't know, but doesn't it seem that within the last decade we've been losing ground in the fight for equality for both genders?
girl almighty
GSBitch
girl almighty
May 26th, 2005 at 02:56pm
bloodstone:
NeoSteph:

first of all, i totally agree with both of you...and it is better than it was in the fifties and through the years we have been making things better, but lately it's like women in general have just given up the fight. many are starting to succumb to the image that the media is projecting---everyone needs to be perfect, thin, and pretty. magazines show women wearing barely anything, and so that's what the majority seems to copy...i don't know, but doesn't it seem that within the last decade we've been losing ground in the fight for equality for both genders?

i think you're right for some people - they worry so much about what boys think of them and how they look to the outside world they forget they have rights to be what they want to be. i think thats awful, the state some girls end up in cos they were striving to fit in. lots of girls mags now tell everyone to be happy with their bodies whatever their shape, but then print pictures of stick thin models. there are still shocked looks at a model with boobs or hips, which there shouldnt be. but its the same for guys - they compare themselves to others and models which can be hard too.
Rage&Love
King For A Couple Of Days
Rage&Love
May 26th, 2005 at 03:57pm
*Redundant*Rebel*:
Thats exactly what i was goin to say! Yeah i admit things are better now-a-days but it is still not equal. I still have males making remarks at how i should be in the kitchen cooking and cleaning which is totally not right....but it's better than it was!
XcoreJessio
XcoreJessio
May 26th, 2005 at 04:00pm
NeoSteph:

Looking back at the 40's and 50's it's a huge difference though. But yes, I don't think Women and Men will be equal. Some guy in my history class said to me beofre "Oh God Women are so lazy, they couldn't be arsed offering to go to war in WW2" And I was like "Well they didn't aheva choice did they? Men over ruled Women then"
spill_no_sick
Falling In Love With The Board
spill_no_sick
May 26th, 2005 at 04:04pm
well, on paper the pay is correct
nothing no matter if it's gender, racial, or religious will be equal
are some stereotypes true? definately!
but I think that a lot of feminists honestly are sexists these days and make up a lot of stuff

there are injustices on both sides
women don't get a lot of respect (in a lot of rap, though I listen to some)
men aren't welcomed to do certain things (metrosexuals aren't very welcome in society, guys experimenting with their sexualities are called pervs though women are just called curious)

so yes, there are biases, but they have been so bad in the past that now the biases seem silly and easy to deal with (though I wouldn't know seeing as I don't have a vagina)
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
May 26th, 2005 at 04:14pm
*Love is paranoid*:
NeoSteph:

Looking back at the 40's and 50's it's a huge difference though. But yes, I don't think Women and Men will be equal. Some guy in my history class said to me beofre "Oh God Women are so lazy, they couldn't be arsed offering to go to war in WW2" And I was like "Well they didn't aheva choice did they? Men over ruled Women then"

oh i got that, i study women in History and some guy at the back of the class had to say how he thought all women were dumber than two pieces of planks stuck together. No one had to say anything are teacher throw out of the class (she's a feminist)

Women did alot in the war, they were spys, radi controllers, on the home front, hell they had to make the bloody weapons. and they did this in spite of injustices they face.

In fairness many of the laws passed to give women equal right happened in the late 1800s early 1900's, it was the social stigma that held them back and that still exist today.
Quit Reading My Name
Jackass
Quit Reading My Name
May 26th, 2005 at 04:21pm
I think that there is some, as it is an old tradition, but often, a boy will be the favourite out of two children. This has happened to a lot of people that I know (admittedly, one of them is the boy), but I can still see it going on in society today. And people tend to think that girls are more reliable than boys as well in certain situations...
i dont do fuckin names
Jackass
i dont do fuckin names
May 26th, 2005 at 04:30pm
i dont really see women get discriminated against. but im sure i would if i was a women.

but one thing that does piss me off, these stupid tv programmes that go on about, "lalalala, arent men and women different lalalala", NO! theyre all induviduals
GreenFlySoup
Jackass
GreenFlySoup
May 26th, 2005 at 04:38pm
Green_Day_Rock_My_Socks:
And people tend to think that girls are more reliable than boys as well in certain situations...

yeah that's true, my boss (female) seems to only employ females. Whenever a male has applied for a job she has always made some excuse to tell me why she won't employ them but when i girl applies they get an interview lined up straight away! Rolling Eyes

Unless the reason is she doesn't trust us girls to be good when we're left alone with a guy Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

who knows Confused
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
May 26th, 2005 at 04:40pm
GreenFlySoup:
Green_Day_Rock_My_Socks:
And people tend to think that girls are more reliable than boys as well in certain situations...

yeah that's true, my boss (female) seems to only employ females. Whenever a male has applied for a job she has always made some excuse to tell me why she won't employ them but when i girl applies they get an interview lined up straight away! Rolling Eyes

Unless the reason is she doesn't trust us girls to be good when we're left alone with a guy Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

who knows Confused
exactly
most sexism now is against guys (there was a sexist teacher at my middle school)
but it's not too bad
GreenFlySoup
Jackass
GreenFlySoup
May 26th, 2005 at 04:48pm
it's weird it's swithed around
Automatic man
Automatic man
May 26th, 2005 at 09:49pm
Theres no such thing as equality and there will never be but there is a such thing as fairness...Both sides have it bad, boys get higher wages, then again boys pay for dates, then again girls tend to get picked on more, then again....It will never be completely equal but we can still try to make it as good as it gets....
Franny.
Franny.
May 26th, 2005 at 09:54pm
there's always a bias for female and male. like double standard, guys think its hot for chicks to make out but they think its not hot for two guys to make out and think that chicks dont like it either. i disagree, guys making out is hot lol, and same with chicks. i dunno...society is messed lol
bja_greenday_fan_vikeroo
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
bja_greenday_fan_vikeroo
May 26th, 2005 at 10:10pm
I think there is a gender bias. For example, in some cases men get paid more than women in certain jobs, even though they are both working the same amount of time each week, have the same jobs, and are capable of the same things. Something that bothers me more is when men sleep around, it's okay but when women do it they are sluts. I could go on but I don't want to bore you all....but men are treated unfairly too

Just Remember.... life's a bitch
Yes I Am God
Basket Case
Yes I Am God
May 26th, 2005 at 10:54pm
There is a lot of it. Most people can't see it though.
Clubs, groups, and things like that, sports... they have a lot of gender bias. Although, we can all say it has gotten a lot better. o.O
Register