Education

AuthorMessage
dumbassofsub. (melluvzgd)
Jackass
May 27th, 2005 at 06:23am
Some of the stuff they teach you in school is complete bollocks- I was sitting in math the other day, studying algebra and I was like "why do we have to know this?" and my teacher snapped back "because otherwise you'll never get a job!"

Now seriously, ask your parents or anyone else with a job if they need algebra, only a fair few will say yes- therefore I think most subjects should be optional, like you have to take math but you can choose if you want to do things like algebra and memorise Pi or whatever they do.
I Heart Bunney
Falling In Love With The Board
I Heart Bunney
May 27th, 2005 at 06:35am
Comrade182:
PinkCandyxxx:
Well there not great, but aleast we have the chance to go to school, unlike people in poorer countrys.

fair point, but still if we have this opportinity shouldn't it be the best one we have?

Yeah, I know it should be better, but if children tried to just listen to teachers insteed of just giving them lip, I might be better.
I Heart Bunney
I Heart Bunney
May 27th, 2005 at 06:37am
dumbassofsub. (melluvzgd):
Some of the stuff they teach you in school is complete bollocks- I was sitting in math the other day, studying algebra and I was like "why do we have to know this?" and my teacher snapped back "because otherwise you'll never get a job!"

Now seriously, ask your parents or anyone else with a job if they need algebra, only a fair few will say yes- therefore I think most subjects should be optional, like you have to take math but you can choose if you want to do things like algebra and memorise Pi or whatever they do.

I was talking to my Dad about that I was asking him for help with my Maths homework and he had no idea, because he had never had to use it in his life.

I understand why we need maths but algebra seems silly to me I mean I don't see it anywhere.
Comrade182
Comrade182
May 27th, 2005 at 06:39am
PinkCandyxxx:

I was talking to my Dad about that I was asking him for help with my Maths homework and he had no idea, because he had never had to use it in his life.

I understand why we need maths but algebra seems silly to me I mean I don't see it anywhere.

I agree some stuff taught in school is not needed, I've questionned my teachers many times, they don't want to teach it, they know when you leave school you won't need it. But they HAVE to teach it, it's another government thing rather than the schools problem!
Jackass
May 27th, 2005 at 06:44am
Comrade182:
PinkCandyxxx:

I agree some stuff taught in school is not needed, I've questionned my teachers many times, they don't want to teach it, they know when you leave school you won't need it. But they HAVE to teach it, it's another government thing rather than the schools problem!
true, ive had many conversations with my physics teacher which start "well I don't want to teach this, its boring as fuck, but it'll come up on your exam"......funny how those conversations always end up in us going outside to play with the rockets Rolling Eyes
basketcase17
King For A Couple Of Days
basketcase17
May 28th, 2005 at 08:17am
Gillian:
I think some schools really need to be sorted out, not just for the teacher's "safety", but for the children. If they can't learn properly there'll be another generation of delinquants in our society.

Even if they don't want to, children should be given a chance to learn in a decent environment. Just think of all the people in Third World countries that would happily sit in a classroom and actually learn something, instead of the education being wasted on children who think they don't need it.

Even though I say "I hate school" every day, I know that I'm very lucky with the school I go to. It's pretty relaxed, there aren't too many problems with pupils and it's a relatively small school with small classes.
i agree completley
kueibe
Idiot
kueibe
May 28th, 2005 at 09:09am
Gillian:
I think some schools really need to be sorted out, not just for the teacher's "safety", but for the children. If they can't learn properly there'll be another generation of delinquants in our society.

Even if they don't want to, children should be given a chance to learn in a decent environment. Just think of all the people in Third World countries that would happily sit in a classroom and actually learn something, instead of the education being wasted on children who think they don't need it.

Even though I say "I hate school" every day, I know that I'm very lucky with the school I go to. It's pretty relaxed, there aren't too many problems with pupils and it's a relatively small school with small classes.

yeah, you are right, education is necessary thing in an enlightened world, since thousands years ago, ppl know education is necessary, so here now we hv an education system, I know schools suck, but when you compare some other countries, children have go to work since they know how to walk, and in their whole life, they can't write a single word, not even their own name, you know you are very lucky one and they are doleful...
i know you are learning lots of stuff that seems to be not useful in the future, but you just hv to learn them cuz you can't know what will you do in the future(who can?) so it's better for you to have some basal, and those subjects help you to decide what you are going to study, like me, I hv to study 15 subjects when i'm in Form 3, about grade 9, and then the later year , I decided what am i going to study , if i don't try those subjects before, i might not know which suit me which don't... so i thinks there's the reason ppl hv to study some "useless" subject...
clean_with_409
Geek
clean_with_409
May 28th, 2005 at 03:34pm
School isn't worth it anymore. We don't learn anything that we need for the real world. I think by the time you reach the 9th grade, we should have more courses avalible that teach us about life. I mean you only need math for certain jobs, same with science, same wih social studies, ect. Don't you think we should have a choice?
School is also a very controling society and if you don't live up to the standards and you live by your own rules teachers and students treat you different. So really, school is basicly 12 years of hell...(in my opinion)
I_Eat_Pancakes
I_Eat_Pancakes
May 29th, 2005 at 06:25am
He:
I'm going to talk about destruptive children, in lessons.

I feel sorry for some of the teachers at my school. They have to teach classes with lots of destriptive kids... they shout out, talk constantly, throw things around the classroom, throw things at the teacher, argue with the teacher, insult the teacher, start fights in the classroom, and generally try to piss the teacher off as much as possible.

It is impossible to learn in this environment.
Classes are destrupted, and teachers usually give up in the end.

that reminds me

i feel sorry for this maths teacher who joined last september. He was 21 and because of his age the kids never took him that seriously... and he wanted to be accepted by the pupils that he never really managed to gain control of his classes.
He left last month because the kids were kinda pushing him around and bullying him. I find it quite wierd
Gillian
Gillian
May 29th, 2005 at 06:39am
"Sadly, schools deal in the sale and exchange of knowledge, not wisdom."
† Lestat †
Idiot
† Lestat †
May 29th, 2005 at 08:21am
I think that it would be of a good standard but we have disruptive kids in every class so the teacher never spends the full time teaching most of the time is spent telling of kids
rock00chick
Geek
rock00chick
May 29th, 2005 at 01:24pm
i think that if the teachers had a better relationship with the parents and stuff, then it could be better, the teachers in our school just ignore our parents, and then the students have more opportunity to disrupt and stuff...i think if the students knew they could trust the teachers as well it would help
ren
Idiot
ren
May 29th, 2005 at 10:50pm
Are you talking American Education? Cause in the United States Bush has started No Child Left Behind. Any opinions on NCLB? I dont really know how the education system/standards are in Europe or elsewhere. Feel free to enlighten me though... Very Happy
dysLEXIa
dysLEXIa
May 30th, 2005 at 09:10pm
i also live in the states. Well, i'm not sure if anyone here's from California, so i'll explain the education thing here. Our Governator made a promise to donate like 40% (i beleive) of the state's budget to education. I don't know if that percentage is right however. Well, he actually has taken money AWAY from the schools. For example. Here in Anaheim, city of Disneyland, most of the schools are undergoing construction. Our school has been under construction for about 2-3 years now. Well, there's a lot of dirt in the middle of the school where the math building is supposed to be when it is done. Our school has apparently not been getting much money becase the most they've done is move the pile of dirt from one side to the other and back again.. One of the teachers went to the extent of asking one of the construction workers, "So, where ya gonna move that pile o dirt today??" :lol;

But in our english class, my teacher had to literally beg to get a class set of books to stay in the classroom so that we wouldn't have to lug our 3 books to and from class each day. Pathetic.

But i don't like to think about what we don't have becase there is always someone else who has less than you. aww
GreenDayIsBetter
Idiot
GreenDayIsBetter
June 1st, 2005 at 09:54am
Well.. I think history is a waste and shouldn't be taught anymore, I know all kids say "oh they're dead why learn about them" and that's not exactly what I'm saying, but I don't see the point really. Alright, so maybe history repeats itself, what does studying history do to help me realize that? I don't care. I think authority figures in schools are stupid. Just because they're older doesn't mean they know shit. They let certain people get away with murder and others can't even eat without getting yelled at. Shit class is over.. I could go on about this all day but not today! Anyway, I think furthering your education is the best thing you can do, I love learning and it's good for the mind. But the schools really need some help to encourage other people to want to learn. I fully blame authority.
Greenblade
Jackass
Greenblade
June 1st, 2005 at 10:46am
i dont do fuckin names:
the milky bar kid:
wot do u think of to days education???
i think there is too much pressure to be the best, and that there is too much emphasis on christianity.

i agree
asphinctersayswhat
Idiot
asphinctersayswhat
June 1st, 2005 at 12:10pm
i dont do fuckin names:
the milky bar kid:
i think there is too much pressure to be the best, and that there is too much emphasis on christianity.

there is too big of a christian influence. Read this: i wrote the stuff in red a week or so ago. And its from a book called dangerous schools im reading.

We have heard of more than a few examples of the establishment of particular church values, prayer, and ideology in public schools, especially in the Bible Belt. South Carolina happens to be one of those states, Nevada isn't.

Church and State in Alabama
Pike County, Alabama, schools may teach the content of the Constitution, but some would be hard-presses to distinguish their pedagogy from the schools of theocracy. In 1998, the three children of Sue and Wayne Willis, grades five through eight, were the only Jews in the county schools. In a clear violation of the First Amendment clause forbidding the establishment of religion, the schools are alleged to have promoted their version of Christianity. That whole 'new kid' story sound familiar? It does to me. And there is nothing wrong with being Jewish. But some people think differently...
On behalf of the Willis children, the ACLU filed suit in the U.S. District Court contending that the children were victims of religious bigotry, verbal assaults, and anti-Semitic hate crimes. YES! GO ACLU! The children allege that they were forced by teachers to bow their heads during Christian prayers (we thought school prayer was against the law) and required by a vice principal to write an essay titled, "Why Jesus Loves Me." They were forced to attend "Happy Birthday Jesus" parties. One of the children sought help from a teacher when a Gideon Bible representative (what was he doing in an American public classroom?) tried to force her to take a bible and hold a cross in front of her face. You know if that was me, I'd kick some school employee ass, because damnnit, that just NOT right. The teachers and that bible guy should be executed.
The children were not allowed to wear the Star of David lapel pins while their classmate wore crosses, nor were they allowed to wear skullcaps, which were ripped from their heads by classmates. Why? I don’t see the purpose of that, EXCEPT THAT THESE PEOPLE ARE COMPLETE IDIOTS. They must be retarted. Or... TOO MUCH BRAINWASHING FROM THE CHURCHES AND PUBLIC TRADITION. Further, the children reported physical assaults by classmates and swastikas drawn on their lockers. If someone drew crosses on my shit, I'd get the fucking atheist mafia out there to kill them.
In response to complaints to all the levels of the system over several years, Superintendent of Schools John Key is alleged to have suggested what he might of considered a reasonable solution -- convert to Christianity! Smack a bitch... Excuse us, is this America or are we living during the Spanish Inquisition? Does this case exemplify the traditional values that our schools teach, or is it an aberration from the Dark Ages?

Well, lets just say Minority came on and that pretty much explains how im feeling. Its crazy what the world is coming to. I would say 'I can't believe this' but I can. Because it happened to me. Well, not exactly. And just when I thought it was over... Felicia. And thats just because the are JEWISH. I dont have ANY religion. Wow. Things could get a lot worse. But this is in ALABAMA, and were a little closer to the north (thank joe), so maybe people will be more understanding. Question mark, we dont know.

And sorry if i was cussing too much and that bothers you. But dont censor it. DO NOT CENSOR ANYTHING AMERICA!!!!
And if you dont know me that well, which probably none of you do, i just moved to south carolina from nevada, and its really religious here and blah blah blah, this is from my xanga, i didnt just write it. Ok, whatever im making no sense.

Edit: oh yea, do you know how watered down our textbooks are? in history they dont want to teach stuff about evolution, womens rights or slavery. Its so watered down. This book is so interesting. What you can learn from a book about schools you are going to.
† foresaken †
Geek
† foresaken †
June 3rd, 2005 at 05:20am
i think todays education (well in britain anyway) is up to a reasonably good standard. Teachings OK some teachers are brilliant but some are absolute shit! I'm learning so i'm not complaining. But we could learn a better variety of things.
eberneezer_egghead
eberneezer_egghead
June 3rd, 2005 at 08:12am
i shouln't really say anything, because i've only just left school but the education system is crap. what was wrong with the old method of teaching times tables and the alphabet? its all gone so crap, no wonder im so dumb!
phobilemone
phobilemone
June 3rd, 2005 at 08:23am
the milky bar kid:

im thinking its pathetic seeing as you can't spell 'what'. Rolling Eyes
Register