I haven't cut in 6 months Dance
awesome Very Happy good for you!
jessay
This Board Is My Home
jessay

Blog
November 29th, 2010 at 08:26am
IKnowTheEnemy:
woah this is ironic... attacking people personally on the internet is one cause of self harm and depression...

And then it isn't the internet or the person behind the remark that is the cause, it is the effect it has on the person.

Suicide and self harm are difficult subjects to deal with and have a limited place on the internet and on threads and forums like these.
people who suffer from it should talk to people in there surroundings, family, teachers, friends or maby a therapist.

I have no oppinion about self-harm in that sence that there are mutiple reasons for it and that at all levels people should realize that is most of the time not the solution.
votefordisco
Rotting On Here
votefordisco

Mibba
December 5th, 2010 at 05:02pm
interesting (ish) question: how do you decide which actions can be classed as self harm and which cannot? do you consider self harm to be any action that someone performs which physically harms them, or is it only really self harm when someone performs an action with the intent to harm themselves? how do you decide what is and isn't self harm?

also, does self harm have to be physical or immediate? do you think there are any other ways to harm oneself, besides the obvious?

these questions aren't aimed at anyone, i just think they are interesting topics to discuss. so please do! i want to know what people think.
Y'know Gerard Way
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Y'know Gerard Way
December 8th, 2010 at 05:21pm
tangerine:
interesting (ish) question: how do you decide which actions can be classed as self harm and which cannot? do you consider self harm to be any action that someone performs which physically harms them, or is it only really self harm when someone performs an action with the intent to harm themselves? how do you decide what is and isn't self harm?

also, does self harm have to be physical or immediate? do you think there are any other ways to harm oneself, besides the obvious?

these questions aren't aimed at anyone, i just think they are interesting topics to discuss. so please do! i want to know what people think.

well, i believe that self-harm is whne someone is fully aware and hurt themselves intentionally. like not paying enough attention while chopping carrots VS making sure your figure is in harm's way while cutting the carrots.

dictionary.com defines self-harm as "the practice of cutting or otherwise wounding oneself, usually considered as indicating psychological disturbance", but i think they focus too much on the cutting part. self-harm includes pulling your own hair out, pinching yourself, scratching yourself, burning yourself, etc. cutting is just the most popular form of self-harm.

i also believe that throwing yourself in front of an incoming punch or car, or what have you is also classified as self-harm.
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
December 9th, 2010 at 02:05pm
Y'know Gerard Way:
tangerine:

well, i believe that self-harm is whne someone is fully aware and hurt themselves intentionally. like not paying enough attention while chopping carrots VS making sure your figure is in harm's way while cutting the carrots.

dictionary.com defines self-harm as "the practice of cutting or otherwise wounding oneself, usually considered as indicating psychological disturbance", but i think they focus too much on the cutting part. self-harm includes pulling your own hair out, pinching yourself, scratching yourself, burning yourself, etc. cutting is just the most popular form of self-harm.

i also believe that throwing yourself in front of an incoming punch or car, or what have you is also classified as self-harm.
yeah, in my opinion, self harm is intentional.

sometimes, though, people hurt themselves.. not like in a "i want to make myself bleed" -way, but.. idk subconsciously?
I guess it's also self harm if you keep putting yourself in a situation where you know (subconsciously or consciously) you'll get hurt, or y'know, it's preditable that it won't end well, be it mentally or physical.

it's an interesting question. i think most people view self harm as intentionally hurting yourself physically.

i mean, i bite the skin off my fingers, next to my nails - it's got a name (Dermatillomania - more specifically dermatophagia), and apparently it's linked to ocd. it hurts, but i'm not doing it to punish myself. it's a thing i do when i'm concentrating, bored, anxious... it's like biting nails - to me anyway, but since it does hurt me, and i sometimes bleed, i guess it could be seen as self-harm, since it's also apparently linked to OCD, and compared to trichotillomania, where you pull out your hair
Y'know Gerard Way
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Y'know Gerard Way
December 9th, 2010 at 02:28pm
ocean avenue:
Y'know Gerard Way:
tangerine:

yeah, in my opinion, self harm is intentional.

sometimes, though, people hurt themselves.. not like in a "i want to make myself bleed" -way, but.. idk subconsciously?
I guess it's also self harm if you keep putting yourself in a situation where you know (subconsciously or consciously) you'll get hurt, or y'know, it's preditable that it won't end well, be it mentally or physical.

it's an interesting question. i think most people view self harm as intentionally hurting yourself physically.

i mean, i bite the skin off my fingers, next to my nails - it's got a name (Dermatillomania - more specifically dermatophagia), and apparently it's linked to ocd. it hurts, but i'm not doing it to punish myself. it's a thing i do when i'm concentrating, bored, anxious... it's like biting nails - to me anyway, but since it does hurt me, and i sometimes bleed, i guess it could be seen as self-harm, since it's also apparently linked to OCD, and compared to trichotillomania, where you pull out your hair

so basically the person has to have their mindset on actually harming themselves and not just focusing on some habbit like biting their nails?
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
December 9th, 2010 at 02:33pm
Y'know Gerard Way:

so basically the person has to have their mindset on actually harming themselves and not just focusing on some habbit like biting their nails?
well.. yeah, i guess. but as i said, it could also be that they put themselves in a situation where it's predictable that they'll get hurt, even if they don't mean to consciously put themselves in that situation.
like, if they keep going to places where they might be pressured into taking drugs or doing stupid things (idk, jackass-impersonations or what do i know). it's not that they mean to hurt themselves, but they do, and it's predictable.
idk if that makes sense...
Y'know Gerard Way
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Y'know Gerard Way
December 9th, 2010 at 02:39pm
ocean avenue:
Y'know Gerard Way:

well.. yeah, i guess. but as i said, it could also be that they put themselves in a situation where it's predictable that they'll get hurt, even if they don't mean to consciously put themselves in that situation.
like, if they keep going to places where they might be pressured into taking drugs or doing stupid things (idk, jackass-impersonations or what do i know). it's not that they mean to hurt themselves, but they do, and it's predictable.

makes perfect sense. like saying someone saw a punch coming towards their friend, and jumps in the way to receive the punch not to save their friend from pain, but to seize the opportunity to harm themselves.
Y'know Gerard Way
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Y'know Gerard Way
December 9th, 2010 at 02:42pm
there's actually a really good book i read about a guy who started self-harming, doing drugs, drinking, etc. cause his sister commited suicide. it's called 'The Perfect Cut' by Julie Burtinshaw. i totally recommend it to everyone. it's very insightful towards this topic of self-injuring and suicide and it's effects/consequences
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
December 9th, 2010 at 02:50pm
Y'know Gerard Way:
ocean avenue:
Y'know Gerard Way:

makes perfect sense. like saying someone saw a punch coming towards their friend, and jumps in the way to receive the punch not to save their friend from pain, but to seize the opportunity to harm themselves.
yeah something like that Con
Princess of Punk
King For A Couple Of Days
Princess of Punk
December 22nd, 2010 at 03:46am
This is a matter I really care about! Since I've attempted suicide about 3 to 4 times and failed each time. I really wish this kind of stuff never happened to people,but yet it happens! I wasn't really in that bad of shape to attempt it,but I did anyways...and half of my friends suffer from cutting themselves and I tell them that they have so much to live for and how much I would miss them if they actually succeeded. Seems funny that someone as hell bent on hurting myself could help someone else trying to do the samething. I finally came out of it when my best guy friend Russell cut himself and said "I actually want to end it all,because no one cares" I finally talked him out of it by saying "If you actually end your life just think of all the people who will miss you." and he finally quit! I felt so glad that sharing my story with someone would make them figure out that life is worth living.
leannebtns
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
leannebtns
December 23rd, 2010 at 11:16am
tangerine:

I'd say anything done with the intent to purposely or knowingly hurt yourself could be considered as "self harm".

I don't think it needs to be physical or immediate, despite the fact that those forms are always the first to come to mind. Technically speaking, drug use could be considered a form of "self harm", as well as surrounding yourself with people who degrade you all the time, starving yourself, etc.
Dana.
This Board Is My Home
Dana.

Blog
December 26th, 2010 at 11:41am
Sometimes bullying can cause people to self harm themselves, so consider that when you think about why you self harm.
Register