Political correctness

AuthorMessage
rock00chick
Geek
rock00chick
June 11th, 2005 at 10:58am
i hate the fact we have to be so careful about what we say these days. It's like everytime we speak we offend at least someone...and that isn't right...but comedians make jokes up about the same people and it's ok...i don't gettit.
What happened to free speach, and being able to voice your opinions. I agree that you should be careful not to really offend someone who may be of a different race, or gender as ones self, or who may have a dissability...but not being allowed to call your shop "temple of doom" because it's offensive to those who go to temples it stupid......
anyway, what are your thoughts on it, and do you have any stories about situations where someones been told off, or praised for what they say...
spill_no_sick
Falling In Love With The Board
spill_no_sick
June 11th, 2005 at 04:38pm
I find it completely gay
asphinctersayswhat
Idiot
asphinctersayswhat
June 11th, 2005 at 04:56pm
theres free speech, say whatever the fuck you want motherfuckers!!! Just preared for some group, website or organization to get pissed at you. but who cares? you cant let thoese people tell you how to run your life, or talk, or do anything!!! YEA!!! Freedom!!! Free yourself child!!!
duck tape
Geek
duck tape
June 11th, 2005 at 05:42pm
i think that nobody should have a say in what people say. like if that is how the person feals and they feal like they need to express them selfs then let do it i dont like it when i have to be held back on saying something b/c of hte effect i hate george bush i dont think he is a good pres. and nobody can do nethinz about it
i dont like the color purple (not the movie) the government sucks and it has bad judgement
asphinctersayswhat
Idiot
asphinctersayswhat
June 11th, 2005 at 05:49pm
wtf, that kinda made sense...

people should have to say what people want them to.
mommys.little.nightmare
Idiot
mommys.little.nightmare
June 12th, 2005 at 04:17pm
yeah people should say what they want well if its not like predjedist (sp)or sumthing

and it really pisses me off when people go all pissy cos u dont type in proper full english...i mean get alife man
asphinctersayswhat
Idiot
asphinctersayswhat
June 12th, 2005 at 08:49pm
mommys.little.nightmare:
yeah people should say what they want well if its not like predjedist (sp)or sumthing

and it really pisses me off when people go all pissy cos u dont type in proper full english...i mean get alife man

i know, like cussing, they shouldnt censor things. and i hate my parents because they are trying to censor the world from me right now.
clean_with_409
Geek
clean_with_409
June 13th, 2005 at 12:17am
minoritypossemember1:
mommys.little.nightmare:

i know, like cussing, they shouldnt censor things. and i hate my parents because they are trying to censor the world from me right now.

Yeah I know. I hate how like my parents say "don't swear", even know they know that everyone swears, it's just part of life, it's stupid how we can't say stuff around certain people, I mean it's a fucking word, why does it need to be so bad? I mean are you gonna go to jail for yelling "fuck" because you bit your tounge or something?
lisa1224
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
lisa1224
June 13th, 2005 at 03:06am
The swearing thing frustrates me too... who ever decided to make the word 'fuck' a 'bad' word???
Of course, in my opinion there is a line. To show complete disregard for a topic that someone knows little about is just plain unreasonable and stupid. Then again, if someone is knowledgeable on a topic (i.e. the catholic church) and disapproves of the stuff it teaches then ofcourse they should have freedom of speech and discuss why they find faults with it.
HOWEVER I believe people go way too far then they take personal stuff into it. For example, saying 'the christian church has unsensible values in todays society' and 'christians are all idiots' is too different thing. i think you should be able to have an opinion but not nessacarily have to slam people to get your opinion heard.
Comrade182
Comrade182
June 13th, 2005 at 07:37am
A few points.

1. Political correctness applys to everyone, although i admit it is dumb having some comments ok for others to say and not for most.

2. Swearing is censored during day time on television and radio because it's polite, you don't exactly want a 5 year old learning to swear through public broadcast, although they may get it else where.

3. Your parents tell you not to swear because you don't need to, and you shouldn't in front of family. They are just trying to 'bring you up right' as it were. You should give you parents some respect, they did bring you into this world and look after you when you were younger (expect in soem extreme cases!)

Anyway political correctness is just basically being polite towards other people, It's more a way of making you realise what you are saying before you say it, rather than dealing with the consequences of something after its happened!
Spirit Of '77
Spirit Of '77
June 13th, 2005 at 10:24am
my brother is so into being PC that he calls himself "caucasian trash" instead of "white trash".
girl almighty
GSBitch
girl almighty
June 13th, 2005 at 10:47am
I think if it offends people then just don't say it! I wouldn't want to be offended by someone's slang or whatever. A lot of people are saying it's a waste of time to be PC, but it's just polite.
Spirit Of '77
Spirit Of '77
June 13th, 2005 at 10:51am
minoritypossemember1:
theres free speech, say whatever the fuck you want motherfuckers!!! Just preared for some group, website or organization to get pissed at you. but who cares? you cant let thoese people tell you how to run your life, or talk, or do anything!!! YEA!!! Freedom!!! Free yourself child!!!

that's very true. we can all technically say what we want, people just may get pissed at us. who gives a shit? if they get pissed then theyre too over sensitive in most cases anyway...
Kitti
Kitti
July 20th, 2005 at 10:22pm
OMFG!!! say whatever the fuck you want!!! oh wow did i just say fuck? does anyone else know what it really means? its an acronym!!! it wasnt originally a filthy word, but we made it one!!! so get over it!
FUCK!!! i hope ive pissed some people off...
No Knowledge Of Love
Idiot
No Knowledge Of Love
July 20th, 2005 at 10:39pm
Well, what about freedom of speech?
FlunkieStargazer711
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
FlunkieStargazer711
July 20th, 2005 at 10:43pm
Well if u havent im sure you came close.....lol...but yeah anyway...comrade 182's points are fine but....there is still the factthat who decided to make fuck a bad word...i mean ppl say that the culture has become corrupt because ppl say things like fuck a lot more and that you wouldnt have ever heard anyone say fuck 60 yrs ago...well that may be true....its a relatively new word....and even if it isnt....it probably wasnt a bad word when it was made up....its not liek someone was talking about sex or something and they said( as a substitute for 'sex') fuck and someone went OMG!! you said fuck....u are such an aweful person and yr going to hell for it...no it would be just like me saying geedaboo and no one freaking out and then 50 yrs from now if u say it they send u to jail.....its pointless ...and after all it is just a word....nothing more.....it doesnt cause disease...it doesnt give them or anyone around them crabs by just saying it...so its stupid...words are just words....which is different from like biggotry...beacuse that is an idea ...not just words....so yeah i dont know wat the big fucking deal is about fuck
Kitti
Kitti
July 20th, 2005 at 10:46pm
umm...theres a thread for that specifically, but WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY WHATEVER THE FUCK WE WANT!!!!!! nobody, NOBODY has the right to censor me!!!!!! i will choose to do so if and when i feel it to be appropriate. so FUCK the world!!!!!

the constitution states that we have the right to say whatever we want unless it presents a clear and present danger to people and/or the state...that is, yelling "fire" in a movie theater, for example...
Spiral Out..Keep Going..
Jackass
Spiral Out..Keep Going..
July 21st, 2005 at 07:10am
gah i hate extreme PC - such as the case where now you cannot say "brainstorming an idea" because it might offend people with epilepsy, so now it has to be called a "thought shower"

more extreme examples -

failure is not failure as it undermines self esteem and confidence in children - instead it is deferred success

black coffee is coffee without milk

http://www.politicallyincorrect.me.uk/ I find this site really interesting

I also think health and safety laws have gone too far - at school we wanted to do a 3-legged race wearing wellies for charity and we weren't allowed because the health and safety insurance doesn't cover 3-legged races. The society we live in has become too litigious with blame being dealt out for every little trip and fall people have. Examples include people suing the council because they tripped over a wonky paving slab...whatever happened to actually looking where you were going?

Some people make their living out of compensation claims and living off o the state. The government provides benefits for people who actually are living in poverty and need help - but more and more people seem to think the world owes them a living and will not go out and work even though they are perfectly capable. Our society is losing its work ethics and it makes me sick.

(ok rant over now...sorry had to get that off my chest)
Kitti
Kitti
July 21st, 2005 at 01:46pm
ok...first, Thought shower?! thats such a gross image! i challenge everyone to be intentionally politically incorrect (be clever come on) when dealing with people in a public situation. i love doing this for the funny looks...im not saying be RUDE but get some funny looks, come on...
Sammie
Idiot
Sammie
July 23rd, 2005 at 02:47pm
Al this political correctness crap is a load of bull shit.

C'mon Political correctness has gone WAY to far. For example I was in my sociology lesson at at school and I wrote in my essay

"Upper Class Surburbian America is usualy charaterised by..."

the teacher scored it out and wrote.

"The Well Skilled SocieEconomic Grouping of Surburbian America."
Register