Sex with a minor - Karen Ellis jail sentence

AuthorMessage
lisa1224
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
lisa1224
June 20th, 2005 at 06:20am
Most Australian are familiar with the Karen Ellis story.. if not read on....
Karen Ellis was a high school PE teacher. She had an affair with a boy, who at the alledged time of the affair, was 15. He consented to the affair.. She at first walked free but then there was an appeal and she was sentenced to 22 months.
Was her sentence too weak?
On the other hand, In the mid to late 80's gavin Hopper had sex with a 14 year old girl (she says this wasn't consented to) and he recieved 6 years jail (Ithink). He was convicted only recently.
Was Karen Ellis let off easy because she is a female?
Loudleah
King For A Couple Of Days
Loudleah
June 20th, 2005 at 07:25am
I really dont know
rock00chick
Geek
rock00chick
June 20th, 2005 at 09:13am
there are stories like that everywhere when people aren't put in jail. I think if you commit the crime you should do the time...
War That's In My Mind
Jackass
War That's In My Mind
June 20th, 2005 at 09:17am
yes i think she should of gone to jail thats too weak

its digusting
folkin' around.
folkin' around.
June 20th, 2005 at 09:46am
In america theres this lady named Mary Kay Laturno(sp?) and she was a 6th
grade teacher and she had sex with one of here 11 year old students Villie Valuo(sp?)
anywho they did it a couple times and they were caught
well, she went to jail and she found out she was pregnant and stuff this happend in
the late 90's but anyways she ended up having 2 kids with him. She went to
jail for a couple of years and recently she got out and they also married
in like March or May..can't remember.
wake the dead.
This Board Is My Home
wake the dead.
June 20th, 2005 at 10:20am
lisa1224:
Karen Ellis was a high school PE teacher. She had an affair with a boy, who at the alledged time of the affair, was 15. He consented to the affair.. She at first walked free but then there was an appeal and she was sentenced to 22 months.
On the other hand, In the mid to late 80's gavin Hopper had sex with a 14 year old girl (she says this wasn't consented to) and he recieved 6 years jail (Ithink). He was convicted only recently.

It's a bit different though, in Hopper's case the girl was violated, he took advantage of her and she knew she was the victim, which she was. Ben Dunbar (that's the boys name, I sorta know him) on the other hand knows he pushed for the sex, he lusted after her and doesn't feel victimised at all. He WANTED it. The cases were under different circumstances. So I can't really say is it was unfair/if she got off easy.
rock00chick
Geek
rock00chick
June 20th, 2005 at 12:07pm
+PanhandlingMisery+:
lisa1224:

It's a bit different though, in Hopper's case the girl was violated, he took advantage of her and she knew she was the victim, which she was. Ben Dunbar (that's the boys name, I sorta know him) on the other hand knows he pushed for the sex, he lusted after her and doesn't feel victimised at all. He WANTED it. The cases were under different circumstances. So I can't really say is it was unfair/if she got off easy.

true, but they both commited a crime, it doesn't matter who pushed who, they had sex and he wasn't old enough...
Dom
Jackass
Dom
June 20th, 2005 at 12:42pm
the age of consent is 18 in america isnt it?
its only 16 here in the U.K thank god, you have to wait an extra 2 years for legal sex, oh well.

But, yeah real peedos should get longer in prison. Theres some wierdo 23 year old who fancies my 15 year old girlfriend so i had a go at him and he stopped.
rock00chick
Geek
rock00chick
June 20th, 2005 at 02:19pm
i124q:
its only 16 here in the U.K thank god, you have to wait an extra 2 years for legal sex, oh well.

But, yeah real peedos should get longer in prison. Theres some wierdo 23 year old who fancies my 15 year old girlfriend so i had a go at him and he stopped.

that's quite disturbing. some person got hold of my email address and started hitting me with propositions and went on about how he loved me and if i didnt agree to run away with him he was going to stalk me...that was scary...but it's all ok now!
Less Than Jack
Falling In Love With The Board
Less Than Jack
June 20th, 2005 at 02:25pm
But didn't the student WANT to have sex?
rock00chick
Geek
rock00chick
June 20th, 2005 at 02:32pm
Minority27:

yer, but it's still illegal..
Less Than Jack
Less Than Jack
June 20th, 2005 at 08:01pm
tre's dominated luv slave:
Minority27:

yer, but it's still illegal..
it should be THEIR choice if they want to have sex, but if it was rape or somthing...thats different
lisa1224
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
lisa1224
June 21st, 2005 at 03:33am
Yeah but I'm pretty sure the story was that the chick was taken advantage of by hopper and it affected her in her life. The thing will Karen Ellis, she was sentenced in regards to the boys feeling on the matter too.... on the other hand he said the relationship didnt affect him when it seems it did as he moved out of home (correct me if I'm wrong on any of this)
eberneezer_egghead
eberneezer_egghead
June 21st, 2005 at 06:37am
Karen Ellis seemed to have "lured" this boy into the relationship, but it was his choice. I don't think she should have got 22 months. I think she should have been walked free.
Comrade182
Comrade182
June 21st, 2005 at 06:42am
I'm a bit confussed, is this topic saying about how long people who have sex with minors should be in prison? or is it asking if men and woman are being treated differently in the courts?
eberneezer_egghead
eberneezer_egghead
June 21st, 2005 at 08:51am
Comrade182:
I'm a bit confussed, is this topic saying about how long people who have sex with minors should be in prison? or is it asking if men and woman are being treated differently in the courts?
yeah... its actually stupid. But if thats the law, then let them get on with it.
Dom
Jackass
Dom
June 21st, 2005 at 02:33pm
rock00chick:
i124q:

that's quite disturbing. some person got hold of my email address and started hitting me with propositions and went on about how he loved me and if i didnt agree to run away with him he was going to stalk me...that was scary...but it's all ok now!

there are a lot of sad, strange people out there......
Rage&Love
Rage&Love
June 21st, 2005 at 05:26pm
she should have got a stronger sentance i mean we all go on about equality for men and women and a women shouldn't recieve a weak punishment because she's female!
killing loneliness
Idiot
killing loneliness
June 22nd, 2005 at 01:52am
warning_05:
she should have got a stronger sentance i mean we all go on about equality for men and women and a women shouldn't recieve a weak punishment because she's female!
yeah, i agree...totaly...i wouldn't realy mind sittin in jail the same amount of years as any man, but only if i was realy like um...diserving it...well that would never happen, tho.. ok, i'm going off the topic, so, buh bye
Comrade182
Comrade182
June 22nd, 2005 at 07:17am
eberneezer_egghead:
Comrade182:
yeah... its actually stupid. But if thats the law, then let them get on with it.

That really didn't answer my question!
Register