Smoking

AuthorMessage
hail_king_billie
Jackass
hail_king_billie
August 14th, 2005 at 08:26am
I cant stand smoking Crying or Very sad Someone really close to me started smoking and hes still quite young...and weve had a massive argument over it, now he's into weed and shit Crying or Very sad
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 14th, 2005 at 08:28am
hail_king_billie:
I cant stand smoking Crying or Very sad Someone really close to me started smoking and hes still quite young...and weve had a massive argument over it, now he's into weed and shit Crying or Very sad

Replace he with she and that's the story of the last two fights I've had with two of my best friends... neither of whom I talk to anymore Sad Crying or Very sad
*unwanted*
Jackass
*unwanted*
August 14th, 2005 at 09:10am
ExtraodinaryGirl:
*unwanted*:

ok, let me tell you a fact then.. many old people who started smoking 60-70 years ago can't stop smoking now cause it's become a habbit and they like it, it's social.. They smoke cause it's comforting to them, it calms them down.. When everything around them changes they feel that smoke is a thing they feel is stabil and the one thing they can rely on, this is a fact.. I can find interviews of old smokers who can back me up (though I doubt you will understand them since their in Norwegian)..

have you ever tried telling people not to smoke in the car? or atleast have the window open? it takes 5minutes to smoke a cigarette you could stop the car you know.. if you see someone on the street smoking then walk around them then..
Yes, I know your arguement now.. that "why should you be the one who have to adjust all the time.." I'm not saying that, but of course you have to make sacrifices too.. You can't live your life with out any smoke if you live in the city, or you know someone who smokes.. If you gently ask a person who smokes right beside you if he could do it somewhere else, he might possibly do so..

And you ask: "is smoking right?" well I could go on and on about a lot of other things that isn't right, but that seems to just piss you off and I'm not here to argue but to let you know what I think.
and maybe smoking isn't right, but you can't illegalies (sp?) it.. and maybe you're right, maybe it should never have been invented.. But those thoughts are waaay to late to come with now, and I don't think that's the question you should be asking.. You should rather ask: Is it right to take away something that so many people need on a daily basis to get through the day?

1: It's an addiction. That's been said and agreed to MANY times. Doesn't mean somebody is going to die the instant they stop smoking.
2: Yes, actually I have. I do whatever I can not to have to inhale smoke. But I'm 15 and I don't control my moms car, so when she's driving and I'm sitting next to her and she's smoking, she'll open a window, which doesn't do jack shit. Who says I don't walk around people? But it's not always easy enough to be walking down a sidewalk and walk by someone who's smoking and just walk around them, considering you'll usually be walking onto someone else's property, or into the road. I also never said I was the only one who has to adjust.
3: The thing that annoys me about when people keep bringing up OTHER issues, is that: (a)this topic is about smoking, therefore I'm going to talk about smoking in it, and (b)you can't fight every battle. Smoking and illegal drug use are two battles that I have chosen to fight, and that exhausts me enough as it is. I get enough heat on that without adding other issues to my list of things I want to take a stand against. NOBODY can fight every battle, not me, not kings, not presidents, not singers, not actors.... nobody. You have to pick your battles, I have.
4: And yes, it is too late, but it's still a point I can make.

(PS- "So your the girl" had nothing to do with you. Peaches said that directed at me. And you may believe you've proven a point, alright, believe it, but if you're wasting your time, why do you keep coming here? I thought you were going to leave about a page ago? And I'm sorry if I've made it sound like I think I'm better than anyone else, not my intention, I'm just trying to make my points.)

you were giving us debate tips up here.. well let me tell you honey, this post didn't have anything to do with debating at all.. all you did was basecallly to sum up MY points and say yes or no to them.. I feel it's like you're taking every word that we say, twist it around to you get it the way you would like them to be..
as someone said before, this topic is starting to get a bit over-debated cause everyone knows what everyone else thinks about the case.. there has been tons of facts, every one incredible boring.. and as comfortably confused said.. I'm also starting to feel that this is a waist of my time.. so you just go find yourself someone else to argue with and I will go and find something more importan to fight about cause I really don't care wether you like it that I smoke or not.. I'll be in the "abortian" topic or something.
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 14th, 2005 at 09:23am
*unwanted*:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
*unwanted*:

ok, let me tell you a fact then.. many old people who started smoking 60-70 years ago can't stop smoking now cause it's become a habbit and they like it, it's social.. They smoke cause it's comforting to them, it calms them down.. When everything around them changes they feel that smoke is a thing they feel is stabil and the one thing they can rely on, this is a fact.. I can find interviews of old smokers who can back me up (though I doubt you will understand them since their in Norwegian)..

have you ever tried telling people not to smoke in the car? or atleast have the window open? it takes 5minutes to smoke a cigarette you could stop the car you know.. if you see someone on the street smoking then walk around them then..
Yes, I know your arguement now.. that "why should you be the one who have to adjust all the time.." I'm not saying that, but of course you have to make sacrifices too.. You can't live your life with out any smoke if you live in the city, or you know someone who smokes.. If you gently ask a person who smokes right beside you if he could do it somewhere else, he might possibly do so..

And you ask: "is smoking right?" well I could go on and on about a lot of other things that isn't right, but that seems to just piss you off and I'm not here to argue but to let you know what I think.
and maybe smoking isn't right, but you can't illegalies (sp?) it.. and maybe you're right, maybe it should never have been invented.. But those thoughts are waaay to late to come with now, and I don't think that's the question you should be asking.. You should rather ask: Is it right to take away something that so many people need on a daily basis to get through the day?

1: It's an addiction. That's been said and agreed to MANY times. Doesn't mean somebody is going to die the instant they stop smoking.
2: Yes, actually I have. I do whatever I can not to have to inhale smoke. But I'm 15 and I don't control my moms car, so when she's driving and I'm sitting next to her and she's smoking, she'll open a window, which doesn't do jack shit. Who says I don't walk around people? But it's not always easy enough to be walking down a sidewalk and walk by someone who's smoking and just walk around them, considering you'll usually be walking onto someone else's property, or into the road. I also never said I was the only one who has to adjust.
3: The thing that annoys me about when people keep bringing up OTHER issues, is that: (a)this topic is about smoking, therefore I'm going to talk about smoking in it, and (b)you can't fight every battle. Smoking and illegal drug use are two battles that I have chosen to fight, and that exhausts me enough as it is. I get enough heat on that without adding other issues to my list of things I want to take a stand against. NOBODY can fight every battle, not me, not kings, not presidents, not singers, not actors.... nobody. You have to pick your battles, I have.
4: And yes, it is too late, but it's still a point I can make.

(PS- "So your the girl" had nothing to do with you. Peaches said that directed at me. And you may believe you've proven a point, alright, believe it, but if you're wasting your time, why do you keep coming here? I thought you were going to leave about a page ago? And I'm sorry if I've made it sound like I think I'm better than anyone else, not my intention, I'm just trying to make my points.)

you were giving us debate tips up here.. well let me tell you honey, this post didn't have anything to do with debating at all.. all you did was basecallly to sum up MY points and say yes or no to them.. I feel it's like you're taking every word that we say, twist it around to you get it the way you would like them to be..
as someone said before, this topic is starting to get a bit over-debated cause everyone knows what everyone else thinks about the case.. there has been tons of facts, every one incredible boring.. and as comfortably confused said.. I'm also starting to feel that this is a waist of my time.. so you just go find yourself someone else to argue with and I will go and find something more importan to fight about cause I really don't care wether you like it that I smoke or not.. I'll be in the "abortian" topic or something.

Actually, I was countering what you said. So, yeah, I don't know WHAT you're reading, but I'd figure it out if I were you. If this isn't important to you, why were you here in the first place? And here's another tip, how about you stop putting words in my mouth. I never once said you cared what I thought or if I liked that you smoked or not. This is a DEBATE FORUM. Therefore, I am going to argue my points and say what I'm thinking. Same thing you're doing.
hail_king_billie
Jackass
hail_king_billie
August 14th, 2005 at 09:26am
ExtraodinaryGirl:
hail_king_billie:

Replace he with she and that's the story of the last two fights I've had with two of my best friends... neither of whom I talk to anymore Sad Crying or Very sad

I know how you feel
and it sucks Sad
*unwanted*
Jackass
*unwanted*
August 14th, 2005 at 09:32am
well I can answer why I was here in the first place by quoting my post that I did then:

I love smoking, I love the smell of it, I love it when I blow the smoke out of my mouth and I see it disappear in the air, I love kissing guys that just had a smoke, I love the taste of it..

the only thing I don't love about it is when I get in my eyes..

the circle has ended..
I hope you have a lovely life without too much smoke, and that you will stop being so bitter and harsh (that's how I see you) cause if you are nice to the smokers, they will probably be nice to you in return, and maybe not bug you as much as they would have done earlier..
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 14th, 2005 at 09:36am
So you came into a thread that wasn't important to you because you love what it's about but isn't important to you? Interesting.
If you see me as harsh and bitter, than you don't see me. And do you know me? How do you know I'm not nice to smokers? Like I've said, my mom smokes, and I have friends who smoke, yeah, I've won my friends over by being mean to them? Okay, that makes sense. And when I'm waiting outside the movies for someone to pick me up, if someone is standing next to me smoking, I either DO ask them politely to move, or I move. So you can stop making judgements about me when you don't know me, since the only thing I've decided about you is that you smoke and you don't have the right to be judging me until you know me.
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
August 14th, 2005 at 09:44am
spill_no_sick:
so...what do you think of it?
what do you think of suing tobacco companies for cancer, what do you think about letting smokers out of places?

I think tobacco companies are innocent, they tell you you'll get sick on the box, if you've smoked for fifty years and haven't found time to read something that says SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING or heed any of the millions of warnings, shame on you bitch! don't sue
I think it's wrong to keep smokers out if certain places, unless you're making out with a smoker for fifty years while they're smoking you won't get cancer
and it's wrong to keep ads off of TV, and it's wrong to blame them for wanting to get people to smoke
NO SHIT THEY WANT TO DO IT RETARD! THEY'RE A FUCKING TOBACCO [b]COMPANY[/i]!!!!!
retards, why don't you get pissed at Little Debbie's for trying to sell snacks!?

smoking isn't as bad as the media makes it seem, and anyone retarded enough to think smoking will make them cool deserves to lose the money, don't look out for people that stupid, survival of the educated

so I think we're being unfair to smokers and tobacco companies
who cares if it's bad? eating fattening foods is bad too, it's even worse, but we don't care about that because we're fat and tobacco companies are there to blame because we're irresponsible

I agree with you, suing them is stupid. But I think it's okay to keep smokers out of certain places.. people take their families to restaurants, little kids and babies. Secon-hand smoking is bad, unless you are exposed to it a lot it isn't deadly.. but if smokers were allowed everywhere then some people would be exposed to it more. Which all leads up to the commercials being on tv, young minds are easily influenced. Peer pressure is also a factor, yeah maybe little 5yr olds won't be buying ciggarets now, but more people would be intrested in them, and then more people would be smoking and if smokers were allowed everywhere, more people would be exposed to the smoke.
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
August 14th, 2005 at 09:57am
ExtraodinaryGirl:
Like I said, I've always THOUGHT that it was used as an excuse. You're not going to change something that's in my mind- and has also been said by professionals.
Three feet isn't going to help keep smoke out of your lungs. And who only goes to restaurants and pubs? It's called malls, it's called sidewalks, it's called cars, it's called homes. It is still deadly to other people.
I've done research, I've checked websites, I've read medical reports, I know what I'm talking about. And you're right, I don't know what it's like to give myself lung cancer. I DO know what it's like to be inhaling smoke and having my lungs die.
And BTW, how many times have I said "why do people do it when they know the risks" how would I be surprised? How can anyone NOT know the risks?

If it were outlawed tobacco companies would be out of buisness, people would lose their jobs and their families would also suffer because of that... maybe it's hurting you that people smoke, and you say that you think it's selfish.. well shutting down these huge industries is also selfish. If the people close to you that smoke don't qui.. then why should anyone else do it for you? And dying is no more harmful than dying, having someone kill you is actually more hurmful because it gets the person who did you a favor in trouble.
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 14th, 2005 at 10:08am
Walking_Towards_The_Light:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
Like I said, I've always THOUGHT that it was used as an excuse. You're not going to change something that's in my mind- and has also been said by professionals.
Three feet isn't going to help keep smoke out of your lungs. And who only goes to restaurants and pubs? It's called malls, it's called sidewalks, it's called cars, it's called homes. It is still deadly to other people.
I've done research, I've checked websites, I've read medical reports, I know what I'm talking about. And you're right, I don't know what it's like to give myself lung cancer. I DO know what it's like to be inhaling smoke and having my lungs die.
And BTW, how many times have I said "why do people do it when they know the risks" how would I be surprised? How can anyone NOT know the risks?

If it were outlawed tobacco companies would be out of buisness, people would lose their jobs and their families would also suffer because of that... maybe it's hurting you that people smoke, and you say that you think it's selfish.. well shutting down these huge industries is also selfish. If the people close to you that smoke don't qui.. then why should anyone else do it for you? And dying is no more harmful than dying, having someone kill you is actually more hurmful because it gets the person who did you a favor in trouble.

People who make a living harming people and coming up with new ways to get five year olds to think smoking is cool would be out of a job. Families suffer anyway when a fourteen year old has to watch her dad die because he smoked. I didn't say smoking was selfish. Never said it, don't think it is, I just think it is. And "dying is no more harmful than dying"?! Huh?!
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
August 14th, 2005 at 10:22am
ExtraodinaryGirl:
ExtraodinaryGirl:

People who make a living harming people and coming up with new ways to get five year olds to think smoking is cool would be out of a job. Families suffer anyway when a fourteen year old has to watch her dad die because he smoked. I didn't say smoking was selfish. Never said it, don't think it is, I just think it is. And "dying is no more harmful than dying"?! Huh?!

You said "If I wanna die, but I'm too damn lazy to do it myself, I'll just pay someone to stab me. It has the same effect, only it's less harmful." so that explains that line.. and they make a living making something that harms people, they are warned and people know the risks. If they didn't then yeah it'd be way worse, but there are plenty of things out there to help stop the addiction and everything, the problem isn't that they're made or that they're legal, it's that people like them. And people buy them maybe other people don't like that they do that... but they like it, everyone is gonna die anyway, might as well go happy. Y ou can't just take something like that away because it has bcome a part of their lives.

A 14yr old had the sense before that aswel as the knowledge to tell his/her dad to stop if he didn't maybe it's cause he likes it. He knew he was gonna die but he did it anyway, if people are willing to risk their lives for this then it MUST be very, very addicting... And anyway 5yr olds can't buy ciggarets cause the store owners won't let them.
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 14th, 2005 at 10:30am
ExtraodinaryGirl:
ExtraodinaryGirl:

You said "If I wanna die, but I'm too damn lazy to do it myself, I'll just pay someone to stab me. It has the same effect, only it's less harmful." so that explains that line.. and they make a living making something that harms people, they are warned and people know the risks. If they didn't then yeah it'd be way worse, but there are plenty of things out there to help stop the addiction and everything, the problem isn't that they're made or that they're legal, it's that people like them. And people buy them maybe other people don't like that they do that... but they like it, everyone is gonna die anyway, might as well go happy. Y ou can't just take something like that away because it has bcome a part of their lives.

A 14yr old had the sense before that aswel as the knowledge to tell his/her dad to stop if he didn't maybe it's cause he likes it. He knew he was gonna die but he did it anyway, if people are willing to risk their lives for this then it MUST be very, very addicting... And anyway 5yr olds can't buy ciggarets cause the store owners won't let them.

The saying still doesn't really make any sense. I don't really care that they give warnings. These are people who get paid millions to murder other people. Hitmen get arrested and are breaking a law, people who work for tobacco companies are just doing their job? And PART of the problem is that people make cigarettes. If cigarettes weren't made, stores couldn't sell them, and less people would get them. So yes, part of the problem is that it's legal to be made. How is doing something that makes people give you dirty looks make you die happily? How about you live a healthy life. And even if someone is told to stop, how does that make a death any less painfull? How does watcing a loved one die become less painful because you said "stop" and they didn't? I'd love to hear the explination for that one.

By the way, how does it being part of someones life make it okay? Murder is part of some people's lives, gettin beaten up by your parents is part of some people's lives, getting raped is part of some people's lives, shooting heroin is part of some people's lives, just because it's not unusual DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT. I'm getting pretty sick of the arguement that it does. A lot of common things shouldn't be happening, just because it happens doesn't make it right.
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
August 14th, 2005 at 10:47am
Well, they would die happy because they liked to smoke so they did it, and im not saying the people at the tabacco industry would die happy, but they did provide food and clothes for their family, i'd die happy knowing that. Hitman don't give out a warning, they don't call up your house and give you years as a jump start, they don't give you any choice.. they just kill you without any pleasure. Smokers like smoking, so yeah they brought it upon themselves.. they had years to quit. As for a healthy life.. well you chose how you wanna live, just don't go blaming other people for YOUR choices. And you're right it doesn't make it less painful.. but to know that they liked what they were doing even if it killed them should.. if someone just completely loved their life.. then were brutally killed.. that would fucking hurt, because they didn't wanna die and they didn't expect such a death.
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
August 14th, 2005 at 10:51am
umm.. to that last part you added.. they WANT it in their lives.. please point me in the direction of someone who WANTS rape in their life.. then i'll shut up
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 14th, 2005 at 10:52am
Well, they would die happy because they liked to smoke so they did it, and im not saying the people at the tabacco industry would die happy, but they did provide food and clothes for their family, i'd die happy knowing that. Hitman don't give out a warning, they don't call up your house and give you years as a jump start, they don't give you any choice.. they just kill you without any pleasure. Smokers like smoking, so yeah they brought it upon themselves.. they had years to quit. As for a healthy life.. well you chose how you wanna live, just don't go blaming other people for YOUR choices. And you're right it doesn't make it less painful.. but to know that they liked what they were doing even if it killed them should.. if someone just completely loved their life.. then were brutally killed.. that would fucking hurt, because they didn't wanna die and they didn't expect such a death.

If you die happy because you gave yourself lung cancer, you really should have had years of therapy. I wasn't talking about people at tobacco industries, if they die happy it's even more fucked up. That like smiling because throughout your life you've killed hundreds of people. No, they don't give out warnings, but it's the same thing. They get paid to kill somebody, people who work in tobacco industries get paid to kill people and to come up with different ways to get kids to think smoking is cool at a young age so when they're older, they'll do it. Knowing that somebody was happy to kill themselves seems like it would make it harder. That's like going to a funeral for a friend that committed suicide. And I'm not preaching murderers. I'm not saying people who go shoot somebody for money are good, I'm just saying that if you're going to defend big tobacco companies, might as well defend murderers, too. They all have the same job.

And I never said anyone wanted to be raped. I said it was part of their every day lives. Just like you said smoking was part of people's every day lives.
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
August 14th, 2005 at 11:00am
ExtraodinaryGirl:

If you die happy because you gave yourself lung cancer, you really should have had years of therapy. I wasn't talking about people at tobacco industries, if they die happy it's even more fucked up. That like smiling because throughout your life you've killed hundreds of people. No, they don't give out warnings, but it's the same thing. They get paid to kill somebody, people who work in tobacco industries get paid to kill people and to come up with different ways to get kids to think smoking is cool at a young age so when they're older, they'll do it. Knowing that somebody was happy to kill themselves seems like it would make it harder. That's like going to a funeral for a friend that committed suicide. And I'm not preaching murderers. I'm not saying people who go shoot somebody for money are good, I'm just saying that if you're going to defend big tobacco companies, might as well defend murderers, too. They all have the same job.

And I never said anyone wanted to be raped. I said it was part of their every day lives. Just like you said smoking was part of people's every day lives.

Yes but smoker MAKE it part of their lives and they WANT it there.. it's diffrent.. and i already explained how murderers are diffrent.. people don't like being murdered there is no pleasure involved.. they do give out warnings they're on the packages people buy.. and yes smoking is suicide.. it's self mutilation but there is help and people can stop. no one advertises suicide because your life style leads you to it and everything.. just your life but smoking is just another pleasure you don't die happy cause of lung cancer you die happy cause you liked smoking.. kinda like eating too much and blowing up cause of it -i dunno if that's actually possible-
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 14th, 2005 at 11:05am
ExtraodinaryGirl:

Yes but smoker MAKE it part of their lives and they WANT it there.. it's diffrent.. and i already explained how murderers are diffrent.. people don't like being murdered there is no pleasure involved.. they do give out warnings they're on the packages people buy.. and yes smoking is suicide.. it's self mutilation but there is help and people can stop. no one advertises suicide because your life style leads you to it and everything.. just your life but smoking is just another pleasure you don't die happy cause of lung cancer you die happy cause you liked smoking.. kinda like eating too much and blowing up cause of it -i dunno if that's actually possible-

I was just replying to what you had said. Which is that smoking was part of people's lives so it's okay, which I disagree with 150%. The difference between murderers and employees of big tobacco companies is like the difference between hip-hop and rap, it's done a little differently, but it's stil similar, and has the same outcome. You aren't going to be happy to die wether you did something you liked or not. If when I die I was an A-list actress my whole life, or some huge, successful politician, that won't make me happy when I'm lying on my death bed.
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
August 14th, 2005 at 11:18am
umm.. no it won't make you feel happy but death is comin someday, you can't just avoid it.. at least you lived happily and you took advantage of life, you did what felt good that's it.. and you may have cut it short but hey, it was worth it! i mean seriously if they know the risks then why take 'e? unless you're willing to die for it.. which apperantly they are.. and i never said since it was a part of people's lives it was okay.. i said since they want it there it's okay
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 14th, 2005 at 11:21am
ExtraodinaryGirl:
ExtraodinaryGirl:

I underlined where you said it was part of their lives for you.
Like I already asked, how does doing something that causes fights, loses you friendships, makes you unhealthy, and does all sort of crap like that to you make people happy?
Again, the point comes up that because people are willing to die for it doesn't make it right. A lot of people are willing to die for a lot of terrible things, doesn't make it right. Suicide bombers are willing to die to kill soldiers, doesn't make it right.
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
August 14th, 2005 at 11:32am
ExtraodinaryGirl:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
ExtraodinaryGirl:

I underlined where you said it was part of their lives for you.
Like I already asked, how does doing something that causes fights, loses you friendships, makes you unhealthy, and does all sort of crap like that to you make people happy?
Again, the point comes up that because people are willing to die for it doesn't make it right. A lot of people are willing to die for a lot of terrible things, doesn't make it right. Suicide bombers are willing to die to kill soldiers, doesn't make it right.

Yeah but they don't enjoy it and it affects other people.. there's nothing anyone can do to stop them and they kill lots of other people, while smokers are only affecting themselves.. their families, can tell them to stop and if they care enough they will. Yeah smoking causes fights and everything but that just proves how much they like it.. Oh and you forgot to underline the part where i said it was right...
Register