Smoking

AuthorMessage
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
August 14th, 2005 at 11:37am
okay umm.. yeah my friend shimmeh wanted you to know why she smaokes.. she says it's her slow suicide.. so she can kill herself but still watch other people suffer and feel bad for her...
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 14th, 2005 at 11:40am
Walking_Towards_The_Light:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
Like I said, I've always THOUGHT that it was used as an excuse. You're not going to change something that's in my mind- and has also been said by professionals.
Three feet isn't going to help keep smoke out of your lungs. And who only goes to restaurants and pubs? It's called malls, it's called sidewalks, it's called cars, it's called homes. It is still deadly to other people.
I've done research, I've checked websites, I've read medical reports, I know what I'm talking about. And you're right, I don't know what it's like to give myself lung cancer. I DO know what it's like to be inhaling smoke and having my lungs die.
And BTW, how many times have I said "why do people do it when they know the risks" how would I be surprised? How can anyone NOT know the risks?

If it were outlawed tobacco companies would be out of buisness, people would lose their jobs and their families would also suffer because of that... maybe it's hurting you that people smoke, and you say that you think it's selfish.. well shutting down these huge industries is also selfish. If the people close to you that smoke don't qui.. then why should anyone else do it for you? And dying is no more harmful than dying, having someone kill you is actually more hurmful because it gets the person who did you a favor in trouble.

People who make a living harming people and coming up with new ways to get five year olds to think smoking is cool would be out of a job. Families suffer anyway when a fourteen year old has to watch her dad die because he smoked. I didn't say smoking was selfish. Never said it, don't think it is, I just think it is. And "dying is no more harmful than dying"?! Huh?!

You said "If I wanna die, but I'm too damn lazy to do it myself, I'll just pay someone to stab me. It has the same effect, only it's less harmful." so that explains that line.. and they make a living making something that harms people, they are warned and people know the risks. If they didn't then yeah it'd be way worse, but there are plenty of things out there to help stop the addiction and everything, the problem isn't that they're made or that they're legal, it's that people like them. And people buy them maybe other people don't like that they do that... but they like it, everyone is gonna die anyway, might as well go happy. Y ou can't just take something like that away because it has bcome a part of their lives.

A 14yr old had the sense before that aswel as the knowledge to tell his/her dad to stop if he didn't maybe it's cause he likes it. He knew he was gonna die but he did it anyway, if people are willing to risk their lives for this then it MUST be very, very addicting... And anyway 5yr olds can't buy ciggarets cause the store owners won't let them.

I underlined where you said it was part of their lives for you.
Like I already asked, how does doing something that causes fights, loses you friendships, makes you unhealthy, and does all sort of crap like that to you make people happy?
Again, the point comes up that because people are willing to die for it doesn't make it right. A lot of people are willing to die for a lot of terrible things, doesn't make it right. Suicide bombers are willing to die to kill soldiers, doesn't make it right.

Yeah but they don't enjoy it and it affects other people.. there's nothing anyone can do to stop them and they kill lots of other people, while smokers are only affecting themselves.. their families, can tell them to stop and if they care enough they will. Yeah smoking causes fights and everything but that just proves how much they like it.. Oh and you forgot to underline the part where i said it was right...

People do stop them. People arrest them, people give them lethal injections. All I'm saying is make these workers find jobs that don't murder. Smokers aren't only affecting themselves. We've been through this several times on this topic. And I know for a fact from experience that it doesn't matter if you have your family telling you to stop. My mom had CANCER, and my brother, my sister, my dad, and I have ALL told her to stop smoking, it doesn't do jack shit so don't give me the "if they care they'll tell you to stop" bull, because people DO tell them to stop, it doesn't do a damn thing. That's why it needs to be taken to the next level. People liking it doesn't make it okay. People liking it doesn't mean they should be able to keep doing it. I've been over that, too. There are a lot of things people like to do that aren't right. And by saying that people shouldn't try and get them to stop because it becomes part of their lives is another way of saying it's right to not quit because it's part of their lives.
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 14th, 2005 at 11:41am
okay umm.. yeah my friend shimmeh wanted you to know why she smaokes.. she says it's her slow suicide.. so she can kill herself but still watch other people suffer and feel bad for her...

Um, okay? Special? She smokes for pity, she smokes for what other people think of her, great. And people don't feel bad for smokers. Most people who don't smoke just think smoking is the wimpy way out of suicide.
Just like as if
Jackass
Just like as if
August 14th, 2005 at 11:44am
What is right and what is wrong depends on a person. We're all different. People can smoke if they like, it's fine for me, because they know what they're doing. Though I don't like the fact that it affects nature.
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
August 14th, 2005 at 11:45am
ExtraodinaryGirl:

Um, okay? Special? She smokes for pity, she smokes for what other people think of her, great. And people don't feel bad for smokers. Most people who don't smoke just think smoking is the wimpy way out of suicide.
it's her way of watching other ppl suffer at her own expense.. but nvm...
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 14th, 2005 at 11:46am
ExtraodinaryGirl:

And that makes it good? How does that defend smoking at all? It's something porpusfully done to make other people suffer? Yeah, that's a GREAT thing to be defending.
Just like as if
Jackass
Just like as if
August 14th, 2005 at 11:49am
ExtraodinaryGirl:
ExtraodinaryGirl:

And that makes it good? How does that defend smoking at all? It's something porpusfully done to make other people suffer? Yeah, that's a GREAT thing to be defending.
Why everything has to be defended or justifiable?
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
August 14th, 2005 at 11:51am
ExtraodinaryGirl:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
Like I said, I've always THOUGHT that it was used as an excuse. You're not going to change something that's in my mind- and has also been said by professionals.
Three feet isn't going to help keep smoke out of your lungs. And who only goes to restaurants and pubs? It's called malls, it's called sidewalks, it's called cars, it's called homes. It is still deadly to other people.
I've done research, I've checked websites, I've read medical reports, I know what I'm talking about. And you're right, I don't know what it's like to give myself lung cancer. I DO know what it's like to be inhaling smoke and having my lungs die.
And BTW, how many times have I said "why do people do it when they know the risks" how would I be surprised? How can anyone NOT know the risks?

If it were outlawed tobacco companies would be out of buisness, people would lose their jobs and their families would also suffer because of that... maybe it's hurting you that people smoke, and you say that you think it's selfish.. well shutting down these huge industries is also selfish. If the people close to you that smoke don't qui.. then why should anyone else do it for you? And dying is no more harmful than dying, having someone kill you is actually more hurmful because it gets the person who did you a favor in trouble.

People who make a living harming people and coming up with new ways to get five year olds to think smoking is cool would be out of a job. Families suffer anyway when a fourteen year old has to watch her dad die because he smoked. I didn't say smoking was selfish. Never said it, don't think it is, I just think it is. And "dying is no more harmful than dying"?! Huh?!

You said "If I wanna die, but I'm too damn lazy to do it myself, I'll just pay someone to stab me. It has the same effect, only it's less harmful." so that explains that line.. and they make a living making something that harms people, they are warned and people know the risks. If they didn't then yeah it'd be way worse, but there are plenty of things out there to help stop the addiction and everything, the problem isn't that they're made or that they're legal, it's that people like them. And people buy them maybe other people don't like that they do that... but they like it, everyone is gonna die anyway, might as well go happy. Y ou can't just take something like that away because it has bcome a part of their lives.

A 14yr old had the sense before that aswel as the knowledge to tell his/her dad to stop if he didn't maybe it's cause he likes it. He knew he was gonna die but he did it anyway, if people are willing to risk their lives for this then it MUST be very, very addicting... And anyway 5yr olds can't buy ciggarets cause the store owners won't let them.

I underlined where you said it was part of their lives for you.
Like I already asked, how does doing something that causes fights, loses you friendships, makes you unhealthy, and does all sort of crap like that to you make people happy?
Again, the point comes up that because people are willing to die for it doesn't make it right. A lot of people are willing to die for a lot of terrible things, doesn't make it right. Suicide bombers are willing to die to kill soldiers, doesn't make it right.

Yeah but they don't enjoy it and it affects other people.. there's nothing anyone can do to stop them and they kill lots of other people, while smokers are only affecting themselves.. their families, can tell them to stop and if they care enough they will. Yeah smoking causes fights and everything but that just proves how much they like it.. Oh and you forgot to underline the part where i said it was right...

People do stop them. People arrest them, people give them lethal injections. All I'm saying is make these workers find jobs that don't murder. Smokers aren't only affecting themselves. We've been through this several times on this topic. And I know for a fact from experience that it doesn't matter if you have your family telling you to stop. My mom had CANCER, and my brother, my sister, my dad, and I have ALL told her to stop smoking, it doesn't do jack shit so don't give me the "if they care they'll tell you to stop" bull, because people DO tell them to stop, it doesn't do a damn thing. That's why it needs to be taken to the next level. People liking it doesn't make it okay. People liking it doesn't mean they should be able to keep doing it. I've been over that, too. There are a lot of things people like to do that aren't right. And by saying that people shouldn't try and get them to stop because it becomes part of their lives is another way of saying it's right to not quit because it's part of their lives.

Okay like it's all said that your mom has this and stuff... but SHE chose to smoke, SHE chose to continue, SHE chose not to listen to the risks, and SHE chose the pleasures of smoking over everything else, smoking feels good and tastes good to her i suppose cause she chose that, no one made her do that.. if they didn't make 'em it would be diffrent but if she hadn't chosen with her own mind to smoke them in the first place none of this would have happened. You can't blame it on the tobbacco company cause, although they are bad they don't force stuff... there are lots of things that are wrong and bad but not everyone is out there doing them.. cause they just don't feel like it.. your mom felt like smoking so she did, it's not the industries fault and outlawing it won't make everyone feel better, some people will get really really pissed off
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 14th, 2005 at 11:51am
Just like as if:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
ExtraodinaryGirl:

It doesn't. But when you're in a thread like this, that is: for or against? You shouldn't be making what you ARE defending look even worse than people already think it is. By saying there are people out there who smoke just to piss people off, it makes smoking seem even worse. And in this discussion, people are defending their opinions.
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
August 14th, 2005 at 11:52am
ExtraodinaryGirl:
ExtraodinaryGirl:

I never said that was right, but it's her choice and im not gonna try to change her mind, yeah i love her but i know that this is what she wants.. and i accept that
Just like as if
Jackass
Just like as if
August 14th, 2005 at 11:54am
ExtraodinaryGirl:
Just like as if:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
ExtraodinaryGirl:

It doesn't. But when you're in a thread like this, that is: for or against? You shouldn't be making what you ARE defending look even worse than people already think it is. By saying there are people out there who smoke just to piss people off, it makes smoking seem even worse. And in this discussion, people are defending their opinions.
I agree, this is a descussion-section, but I didn't mean that by asking. I was just asking you that why do you think that smoking has to have some good reasons behind it, just wanted to hear your answer.
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 14th, 2005 at 11:57am
Just like as if:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
Just like as if:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
ExtraodinaryGirl:

I agree, this is a descussion-section, but I didn't mean that by asking. I was just asking you that why do you think that smoking has to have some good reasons behind it, just wanted to hear your answer.

Oh. I don't think everyone needs a reason. I don't think everyone HAS a reason. But I think that's just a dumb reason to smoke if you ARE going to have a reason.
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
August 14th, 2005 at 11:59am
there is no eason.. ppl just do it cause they wanna and cause they can.. outlawing it is too extreme though.. it's not taking the next step it's like jumping over at least 5 of them.. people aren't ready for that yet.. just so you know i don't smoke myself
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 14th, 2005 at 12:01pm
there is no eason.. ppl just do it cause they wanna and cause they can.. outlawing it is too extreme though.. it's not taking the next step it's like jumping over at least 5 of them.. people aren't ready for that yet.. just so you know i don't smoke myself

So what are steps 2,3,4, and 5? One is asking them to stop, 2 is telling them to stop. What are you supposed to do when that doesn't work? Ignore it?
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
August 14th, 2005 at 12:04pm
ExtraodinaryGirl:

So what are steps 2,3,4, and 5? One is asking them to stop, 2 is telling them to stop. What are you supposed to do when that doesn't work? Ignore it?
Nope, i don't mean as an indivudual i mean as like a group, the whole society.. so far the have rehab, and those patchy things... now all they need is people to use them.. they need to find a way to make people stop.. not by cutting it.. when it's in your system you need to get it out slowly you can't just cut it or you'll go nuts.. those patches put nicatine into your system or whatever and then slowly decrease the ammount.. just stoping is like nearly impossible
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
August 14th, 2005 at 12:07pm
the only thing im like against you on this is that outlawing it stuff and how it's lke the company's fault... i don't like that peaople smoke but im not gonna hate cause they can do what they want
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 14th, 2005 at 12:07pm
ExtraodinaryGirl:

Nope, i don't mean as an indivudual i mean as like a group, the whole society.. so far the have rehab, and those patchy things... now all they need is people to use them.. they need to find a way to make people stop.. not by cutting it.. when it's in your system you need to get it out slowly you can't just cut it or you'll go nuts.. those patches put nicatine into your system or whatever and then slowly decrease the ammount.. just stoping is like nearly impossible

I never said people should just suddenly stop smoking. I never said quitting was easy. Okay, so let's look at this:
Step one: Ask/getting asked to stop and doing nothing
Step two: Tell/getting told to stop and doing nothing
Step three: Rehab/patch which very few people use/stick with
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 14th, 2005 at 12:08pm
the only thing im like against you on this is that outlawing it stuff and how it's lke the company's fault... i don't like that peaople smoke but im not gonna hate cause they can do what they want

I don't think it's the companies fault that people don't read the warnings. I think it's the companies fault that they ship it out and make it and glamourize(sp?)it.
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
August 14th, 2005 at 12:10pm
ExtraodinaryGirl:
ExtraodinaryGirl:

I never said people should just suddenly stop smoking. I never said quitting was easy. Okay, so let's look at this:
Step one: Ask/getting asked to stop and doing nothing
Step two: Tell/getting told to stop and doing nothing
Step three: Rehab/patch which very few people use/stick with

Yeah so far that's all we got.. like maybe guilting people into it? i dunno something.. and before you had said that it should be illegal... but yeah right now it is bad.. and it will get worse unless we stop it.. but we need to find a replacement.. cause those ppl at the industry are bad but thy are people and you can't just put them out of a job like that.. maybe if they cut down on the production of it and began producing patches or some sort of thing... that would take a while so they could think of something else to do in the meantime
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
August 14th, 2005 at 12:12pm
ExtraodinaryGirl:

I don't think it's the companies fault that people don't read the warnings. I think it's the companies fault that they ship it out and make it and glamourize(sp?)it.
Yeah like i don't agree with that either.. the making it famous part but they have to ship it out otherwise they'll go out of buisness.
Register