Smoking

AuthorMessage
nirvana
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
nirvana
September 22nd, 2005 at 02:16pm
Well.I don't smoke and I think it's gross. Well if adults(People older than 1Cool smoke it's okay with me, because they are grown up and they know what to do with their lives.
But starting smoking at age 12 is fucking up your life.
mikeluvva
Geek
mikeluvva
September 22nd, 2005 at 02:55pm
i started smoking when i was 8 but recently gave up.i'm on day 72 with no fags.i'm so proud
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
September 22nd, 2005 at 05:13pm
mikeluvva:
i started smoking when i was 8 but recently gave up.i'm on day 72 with no fags.i'm so proud

Eight?! The youngest I've ever heard of is like, 10, lol.

But congratulations, and good luck with staying off.

By the way, does anyone know where the 'fag' term came from? I've never heard anyone call cigarettes 'fags' until I joined this forum, lol.
comfortably confused
Falling In Love With The Board
comfortably confused
September 22nd, 2005 at 05:30pm
ExtraodinaryGirl:
mikeluvva:

By the way, does anyone know where the 'fag' term came from? I've never heard anyone call cigarettes 'fags' until I joined this forum, lol.
i think it came from over here in the UK, i hate the term fag for it, if someone says "im going out for a fag" all think is "your going out for a gay man?"
bah, its cigarettes.

and i dont know if i told you this but i have cut down alot Very Happy im proud of that cause i know its a step toward quitting which is what i want to do.
i wanted to tell you cause we've argued in the past about it >.<
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
September 22nd, 2005 at 05:38pm
comfortably confused:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
mikeluvva:

i think it came from over here in the UK, i hate the term fag for it, if someone says "im going out for a fag" all think is "your going out for a gay man?"
bah, its cigarettes.

and i dont know if i told you this but i have cut down alot Very Happy im proud of that cause i know its a step toward quitting which is what i want to do.

Yeah, I kinda figured it had, 'cause I've never heard anyone in the U.S. call them fags. And yeah, that term bugs me, too, seriously, whenever I hear someone say fag I get pissed, so to add another meaning to the list that pisses me off is probably not a good idea, lol.

And you didn't, that's awesome, congrats. One of my friends, well, not really a friend, more just someone I get along with, lol- anyway, she used to smoke like, a pack a day, and she was telling me how she hardly smoked at all anymore('cause we've had issues in the past with that... in case you can't tell, I'm not very quiet about my opinions on smoking, lol)but she was like, but I'm not quitting. I'm sitting there just thinking why not quit while you're ahead? lol
comfortably confused
comfortably confused
September 22nd, 2005 at 05:45pm
ExtraodinaryGirl:
comfortably confused:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
mikeluvva:

bah, its cigarettes.

Yeah, I kinda figured it had, 'cause I've never heard anyone in the U.S. call them fags. And yeah, that term bugs me, too, seriously, whenever I hear someone say fag I get pissed, so to add another meaning to the list that pisses me off is probably not a good idea, lol.

And you didn't, that's awesome, congrats. One of my friends, well, not really a friend, more just someone I get along with, lol- anyway, she used to smoke like, a pack a day, and she was telling me how she hardly smoked at all anymore('cause we've had issues in the past with that... in case you can't tell, I'm not very quiet about my opinions on smoking, lol)but she was like, but I'm not quitting. I'm sitting there just thinking why not quit while you're ahead? lol
it was because i saw my brother smoke, hes recently started and i just thought "your 20, youve got two kids and your getting married next year, you are going to waste your life on that" and then i realised this how my dad must feel when he sees me smoke, it hurt me to see my brother smoke so i thought i just have to stop, but when i do i think ill still be okay with smoking in public places. I just dont want to hurt my dad anymore.
_lit up
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
_lit up
September 23rd, 2005 at 01:11am
ExtraodinaryGirl:
_lit up:
ExtraodinaryGirl:

The governemnt spends billions of dollars setting up rehab clinics for alcoholics and drug addicts.

Also, that doesn't answer my question.

Plus, not everyone who smokes would even NEED rehab clinic. If you think every single smoker in the country would GO to a rehab clinic, you need to do some more research. Some people wouldn't quit, some people would quit on their own, some people would quit with the help of friends and family, some people would go to rehab clinics, some people would use help lines.

I have another question for you, too, since you seem to be against tobacco rehab clinics. Why is it that there are clinics for people with other deadly addictions, and not tobacco? Why is it that some drugs that aren't as dangerous as cigarettes are illegal, when you see ads for cigarettes in a lot of big-name magazines?

I did answer your question.

I am not against tobacco rehab clinics (nor any other rehab clinics for that matter). I was simply saying that it is unrealistic that everyone who would need rehab would get it. There are billions of smokers in the world, even if only 25% needed rehab that's still a hell of a lot of people. Meaning there would need to be heaps of government funding to set up these clinics. And I doubt most governments would want to spend that much money on one project.

Although they are not called 'rehab clinics' there are a few tabacco recovery centers which help people stop smoking. And in my personal opinion I think the reason why there are hardly any tabacco rehab clinics is because a tabacco addiction is (generally) not seen as a negative thing (in comparison to an alcohol or illegal substance addiction).

Where? I saw no answer to what I asked anywhere in any of your posts.

I didn't say everyone who needed it would get it. Some people would refuse it, and others just wouldn't be able to get it. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be rehab clinics.

Yes, there are phone numbers you can call, there are people you can see weekly and lie to. Since when is a nicotine or tobacco addiction not looked at as a negative thing? If you can find me ONE sane person who doesn't think any kind of unhealthy addiction is a bad thing, I will be able to understand that arguement, but until then, I don't see that AT all.

you asked what's the problem with setting up rehab clinics and replied that they wouldn't have enough funding to do that.

you just said yourself: "I didn't say everyone who needed it [rehab] would get it. Some people would refuse it, and others just wouldn't be able to get it." Which is exactly what I said not everyone who needed help would get it and that is the flaw in your plan.

and I said 'in comparison' to other addictions tobacco is not seen as negative. For example, if a person has a drug addiction or a cannabis they are looked down on by society. If someone smokes some people may dislike it but they are not seen in as bad a light as those addicted to illegal drugs or alcohol.
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
September 23rd, 2005 at 11:37am
_lit up:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
_lit up:
ExtraodinaryGirl:

The governemnt spends billions of dollars setting up rehab clinics for alcoholics and drug addicts.

Plus, not everyone who smokes would even NEED rehab clinic. If you think every single smoker in the country would GO to a rehab clinic, you need to do some more research. Some people wouldn't quit, some people would quit on their own, some people would quit with the help of friends and family, some people would go to rehab clinics, some people would use help lines.

I have another question for you, too, since you seem to be against tobacco rehab clinics. Why is it that there are clinics for people with other deadly addictions, and not tobacco? Why is it that some drugs that aren't as dangerous as cigarettes are illegal, when you see ads for cigarettes in a lot of big-name magazines?

I am not against tobacco rehab clinics (nor any other rehab clinics for that matter). I was simply saying that it is unrealistic that everyone who would need rehab would get it. There are billions of smokers in the world, even if only 25% needed rehab that's still a hell of a lot of people. Meaning there would need to be heaps of government funding to set up these clinics. And I doubt most governments would want to spend that much money on one project.

Although they are not called 'rehab clinics' there are a few tabacco recovery centers which help people stop smoking. And in my personal opinion I think the reason why there are hardly any tabacco rehab clinics is because a tabacco addiction is (generally) not seen as a negative thing (in comparison to an alcohol or illegal substance addiction).

I didn't say everyone who needed it would get it. Some people would refuse it, and others just wouldn't be able to get it. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be rehab clinics.

Yes, there are phone numbers you can call, there are people you can see weekly and lie to. Since when is a nicotine or tobacco addiction not looked at as a negative thing? If you can find me ONE sane person who doesn't think any kind of unhealthy addiction is a bad thing, I will be able to understand that arguement, but until then, I don't see that AT all.

you asked what's the problem with setting up rehab clinics and replied that they wouldn't have enough funding to do that.

you just said yourself: "I didn't say everyone who needed it [rehab] would get it. Some people would refuse it, and others just wouldn't be able to get it." Which is exactly what I said not everyone who needed help would get it and that is the flaw in your plan.

and I said 'in comparison' to other addictions tobacco is not seen as negative. For example, if a person has a drug addiction or a cannabis they are looked down on by society. If someone smokes some people may dislike it but they are not seen in as bad a light as those addicted to illegal drugs or alcohol.

That didn't answer my question. You didn't say there was anything wrong with it.

Very good. I did say it. I never said everybody would get it. So nothing is perfect, so nothing should be done? Until there is a machine that we can hook up to every single human being on this planet that smokes, nothing should be done to help addicts? Okay, that makes sense... apparently.

So comparing things makes smoking okay? And I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't think a nicotine addiction is as bad as a drug addiction. IT'S THE SAME EXACT THING only with a different substance. There is no difference between being an alcoholic, being a drug addict, and being a nicotene addict other than the substance the addict is addicted to. Comparing smoking to alcoholism DOESN'T make it okay.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
September 23rd, 2005 at 03:05pm
ExtraodinaryGirl:
mikeluvva:

a fag, or faggot, is what people in the 1700s called a bundle of sticks....but that's not what it means anymore
_lit up
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
_lit up
September 23rd, 2005 at 07:27pm
ExtraodinaryGirl:
_lit up:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
_lit up:
ExtraodinaryGirl:

That didn't answer my question. You didn't say there was anything wrong with it.

Very good. I did say it. I never said everybody would get it. So nothing is perfect, so nothing should be done? Until there is a machine that we can hook up to every single human being on this planet that smokes, nothing should be done to help addicts? Okay, that makes sense... apparently.

So comparing things makes smoking okay? And I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't think a nicotine addiction is as bad as a drug addiction. IT'S THE SAME EXACT THING only with a different substance. There is no difference between being an alcoholic, being a drug addict, and being a nicotene addict other than the substance the addict is addicted to. Comparing smoking to alcoholism DOESN'T make it okay.

For gods sake I NEVER said smoking was okay. I was just explaining (imo) why there are rehab clinics for other certain substances.

And there is a difference between a drug addiction (like pot)/alcohol addiction and a nicotine addiction. Drug and alcohol addictions affect the way you act. Think about it, how many welfare cases do you hear about where the kid had to be taken away because the parent was an alcoholic or doing drugs? How many cases do hear about where the kid was taken away because the parent was addicted to nicotine? I know smoking is bad, I know smoking kills people and I know nicotine is highly addictive. But your missing the bigger picture. In society it is drug users and alcoholics that cause problems, not the nicotine smokers.

And for fucks sake get your head out of your ass there are heaps of people who think that a nicotine addiction is not as bad as a drug/acohol addiction.
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
September 23rd, 2005 at 08:22pm
_lit up:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
_lit up:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
_lit up:
ExtraodinaryGirl:

For gods sake I NEVER said smoking was okay. I was just explaining (imo) why there are rehab clinics for other certain substances.

And there is a difference between a drug addiction (like pot)/alcohol addiction and a nicotine addiction. Drug and alcohol addictions affect the way you act. Think about it, how many welfare cases do you hear about where the kid had to be taken away because the parent was an alcoholic or doing drugs? How many cases do hear about where the kid was taken away because the parent was addicted to nicotine? I know smoking is bad, I know smoking kills people and I know nicotine is highly addictive. But your missing the bigger picture. In society it is drug users and alcoholics that cause problems, not the nicotine smokers.

And for fucks sake get your head out of your ass there are heaps of people who think that a nicotine addiction is not as bad as a drug/acohol addiction.

Great, now why don't you explain why we shouldn't help nicotene addicts?

Nicotene addicts don't cause problems? Hm, tell that to everyone who has had a loved one die of cancer caused by smoking. Tell that to people who are in the hopsital right now and can't pay their hospital bills because they spent all their money buying cigarettes. Make ME, the person who has lost three of my best friends because they are addicted to nicotene, that nicotene addiction doesn't cause problems. Make me believe that. Make people who have dealt with smoking-related deaths believe that. Make people with iron lungs believe that.

What's the difference? It is an addiction to a deadly substance. Just because people see some addictions as worse DOESN'T mean they ARE. Just because some people think smoking pot is more dangerous than smoking a cigarette DOESN'T mean it IS. Nicotene addiction: Addiction to a deadly substance. Alcohol addiction: Addiction to a dangerous and potentialy deadly substance. Drug addiction: Addiction to a deadly substance. Find the difference between the addictions OTHER than WHAT THEY ARE.

Nicotene addiction doesn't affect the way you act? Hm, not gonna buy that one, either. Because those three best friends weren't always total bitches to me, just when the nicotene addiction became stronger than the want to get help. Having a disease doesn't affect the way you act? Nicotene addicts who try and go cold turkey and are always in a bad mood, what about that? How is that not affecting the way you act?

Like I said, I have yet to actually meet anyone. People online, yes, big deal, anyone can say anything online. I could get on here tomorrow as a different user and say the SAME EXACT thing you are now to someone else, for no reason other than to start a fight. You find me proof that nicotene addiction isn't as dangerous as a drug addiction and I'll drop this one single arguement.

But let me give you some facts, first:
1. Smoking cigarettes causes brain damage. The nicotene in cigarettes cills off brain cells that help with memory.
2. More than 400,000 deaths in the U.S. each year are from smoking-related illnesses.
3. Among infants to 18 months of age, secondhand smoke is associated with as many as 300,000 cases of bronchitis and pneumonia each year.
4. Secondhand smoke from a parent's cigarette increases a child's chances for middle ear problems, causes coughing and wheezing, and worsens asthma conditions.
5. If both parents smoke, a teenager is more than twice as likely to smoke than a young person whose parents are both non-smokers. In households where only one parent smokes, young people are also more likely to start smoking.
6. Pregnant women who smoke are more likely to deliver babies whose weights are too low for the babies' good health. If all women quit smoking during pregnancy, about 4,000 new babies would not die each year.

So, find me how nicotene addictions are not as harmful as a drug addiction. If you can find FACTUAL arguements that prove that a nicotene addiction is less harmful than a drug addiction or alcoholism that I actually buy, then congratulations, you have achieved the impossible.

And do me a favor, do this maturly. Without the "fucks" and "asses" people will take you more seriously if you don't sound immature.
_lit up
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
_lit up
September 23rd, 2005 at 09:06pm
ExtraodinaryGirl:

Nicotene addicts don't cause problems? Hm, tell that to everyone who has had a loved one die of cancer caused by smoking. Tell that to people who are in the hopsital right now and can't pay their hospital bills because they spent all their money buying cigarettes. Make ME, the person who has lost three of my best friends because they are addicted to nicotene, that nicotene addiction doesn't cause problems. Make me believe that. Make people who have dealt with smoking-related deaths believe that. Make people with iron lungs believe that.

What's the difference? It is an addiction to a deadly substance. Just because people see some addictions as worse DOESN'T mean they ARE. Just because some people think smoking pot is more dangerous than smoking a cigarette DOESN'T mean it IS. Nicotene addiction: Addiction to a deadly substance. Alcohol addiction: Addiction to a dangerous and potentialy deadly substance. Drug addiction: Addiction to a deadly substance. Find the difference between the addictions OTHER than WHAT THEY ARE.

Nicotene addiction doesn't affect the way you act? Hm, not gonna buy that one, either. Because those three best friends weren't always total bitches to me, just when the nicotene addiction became stronger than the want to get help. Having a disease doesn't affect the way you act? Nicotene addicts who try and go cold turkey and are always in a bad mood, what about that? How is that not affecting the way you act?

Like I said, I have yet to actually meet anyone. People online, yes, big deal, anyone can say anything online. I could get on here tomorrow as a different user and say the SAME EXACT thing you are now to someone else, for no reason other than to start a fight. You find me proof that nicotene addiction isn't as dangerous as a drug addiction and I'll drop this one single arguement.

1. Smoking cigarettes causes brain damage. The nicotene in cigarettes cills off brain cells that help with memory.
2. More than 400,000 deaths in the U.S. each year are from smoking-related illnesses.
3. Among infants to 18 months of age, secondhand smoke is associated with as many as 300,000 cases of bronchitis and pneumonia each year.
4. Secondhand smoke from a parent's cigarette increases a child's chances for middle ear problems, causes coughing and wheezing, and worsens asthma conditions.
5. If both parents smoke, a teenager is more than twice as likely to smoke than a young person whose parents are both non-smokers. In households where only one parent smokes, young people are also more likely to start smoking.
6. Pregnant women who smoke are more likely to deliver babies whose weights are too low for the babies' good health. If all women quit smoking during pregnancy, about 4,000 new babies would not die each year.

So, find me how nicotene addictions are not as harmful as a drug addiction. If you can find FACTUAL arguements that prove that a nicotene addiction is less harmful than a drug addiction or alcoholism that I actually buy, then congratulations, you have achieved the impossible.

And do me a favor, do this maturly. Without the "fucks" and "asses" people will take you more seriously if you don't sound immature.

you don't understand, I agree with you.
Nicotine is addictive.
Nicotine kills people.

So stop trying to convince me of those facts.
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
September 23rd, 2005 at 09:08pm
_lit up:
ExtraodinaryGirl:

you don't understand, I agree with you.
Nicotine is addictive.
Nicotine kills people.

So stop trying to convince me of those facts.

If you agree with me why do you keep argueing with me? If you AGREE there isn't an arguement.

And I don't need to CONVINCE people of facts. They're facts. True. Factual.
Marty
Geek
Marty
October 6th, 2005 at 03:31pm
The state says "don't smoke!" and the state give the cigatettes to all! That's stupid!
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
October 6th, 2005 at 03:51pm
spill_no_sick:
so...what do you think of it?
what do you think of suing tobacco companies for cancer, what do you think about letting smokers out of places?

I think tobacco companies are innocent, they tell you you'll get sick on the box, if you've smoked for fifty years and haven't found time to read something that says SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING or heed any of the millions of warnings, shame on you bitch! don't sue
I think it's wrong to keep smokers out if certain places, unless you're making out with a smoker for fifty years while they're smoking you won't get cancer
and it's wrong to keep ads off of TV, and it's wrong to blame them for wanting to get people to smoke
NO SHIT THEY WANT TO DO IT RETARD! THEY'RE A FUCKING TOBACCO [b]COMPANY[/i]!!!!!
retards, why don't you get pissed at Little Debbie's for trying to sell snacks!?

smoking isn't as bad as the media makes it seem, and anyone retarded enough to think smoking will make them cool deserves to lose the money, don't look out for people that stupid, survival of the educated

so I think we're being unfair to smokers and tobacco companies
who cares if it's bad? eating fattening foods is bad too, it's even worse, but we don't care about that because we're fat and tobacco companies are there to blame because we're irresponsible

I personally despise smoking, I have never done it, it makes me feel sick.

I also don't like people smoking in public places, there are people with asthma etcetera, and a lot of people don't like it. I don't condemn it as such, I mean, I don't go up to people and say "Hey you, put your fucking fag out", I just think it's horrible. But that's just my opinion so...

But I do agree with what you were saying about the companies getting sued. For one thing, smoking hasn't ACTUALLY been proved to cause cancer. All the evidence points that way, and smoking isn't exactly healthy, but we're not 100% sure that it does cause cancer. I don't think we ever can be either.

There are health warnings all over the bloody packaging, there are adverts on Television, there's councellors and those Nicoteen thingys or whatever. Basically the company's are doing everything they can to make you aware. And if you think about it, the money you're spending on cigarettes goes to the company, who then use part of that money to advertise giving up and to put warnings on the packages. So, in a way, they need you to keep smoking and buying their products so they can advertise to help you give up. Confused I'm not sure if that made sense, but I know what I mean.

It's the same with fast food, drugs, too much alcohol, advertising for no drunk driving and so on. The world is corrupt, they try to make out they care so much, but I think that if they did care then they would try out a different way, as opposed to what they're doing now.

I'm going to end this here because I'm starting to babble so...

But one thing I do think is that if you smoke and you do get ill from it, then it's YOUR OWN FAULT no one elses, no one pushed the fags in your hand and physically made you smoke them. If you get pressured by your peers and you accept them, just to make you "fit in" and look "cool" then you are moronic in my opinion. If you don't want to smoke don't fucking smoke, if you do want to smoke then do it, but if you get ill or get yellow skin/teeth etc, don't start blaming the company or anyone else. You brought it on yourself!
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
October 6th, 2005 at 05:08pm
ddd4:
The state says "don't smoke!" and the state give the cigatettes to all! That's stupid!

??? I'm confused. What state gives out cigarettes?

I still think smoking should be made illegal, I just don't get how something that is so harmfull isn't illegal, when things equally or less harmful are illegal.

And also, I don't get HOW people get addicted to cigarettes? From what I understand, the first time you smoke you cough like crazy and your throat burns, I don't get why people go and smoke again.
MTVMAKESMEWANNASMOKECRACK
King For A Couple Of Days
MTVMAKESMEWANNASMOKECRACK
October 6th, 2005 at 06:26pm
ExtraodinaryGirl:
ddd4:
I think the person means that the state still allows cigarettes to sold, even though they try to send out a "don't smoke" message.
Marty
Geek
Marty
October 7th, 2005 at 11:44am
MtvMakesMeWannaSmokeCrack:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
ddd4:
I think the person means that the state still allows cigarettes to sold, even though they try to send out a "don't smoke" message.

State give out cigarettes! In Italy
Sharonneke
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Sharonneke
October 7th, 2005 at 03:51pm
I have nothing against people who smoke. But me myself I don't smoke. But I would like to try it ones; But I'm kinda affraid that ones i'll try it I wouldn't be able to stop. But in the beginning I thought it smelled bad but now it can even smell great. LOL. But I've never tried it before so... I don't know :p if I'll ever try
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
October 7th, 2005 at 04:01pm
I see what you mean, i would try it but i'd hate to be dependant on something like cigarettes.
Register