Smoking

AuthorMessage
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
December 10th, 2010 at 11:47pm
Okay yeah I just googled as well, the law I'm thinking of is Quebec's Tobacco Act, so I don't know if similar restrictions apply elsewhere in Canada.

"Smoking is prohibited outdoors within a nine-metre radius from any door leading to a healthcare or social services institution, schools, vocational training centres, childcare centres and recreational centres"

Source
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
December 11th, 2010 at 02:01am
yeah i'm pretty sure it's the same in ontario
Y'know Gerard Way
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Y'know Gerard Way
December 11th, 2010 at 10:23am
JakubHogarddd:
yeah i'm pretty sure it's the same in ontario

even if it is (and i think it is), people don't seem to be following that rule
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
December 11th, 2010 at 10:25am
that's because people don't care
just like texting and driving
it's against the law, but people still do it
Y'know Gerard Way
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Y'know Gerard Way
December 11th, 2010 at 10:36am
yeah, i'm actually wondering when the cops are gonna deal with all that stuff. i mean, if you impose a new rule, you should reinforce it. (sorry, off topic)
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
December 11th, 2010 at 10:45am
i know right! i totally agree
i feel like they do nothing about it
Y'know Gerard Way
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Y'know Gerard Way
December 11th, 2010 at 11:19am
you know what though? the canadian government made a semi-smart move by raising the taxes on cigarettes. cause our taxes pay for the medical attention that they might need, the extra dollar or what have you that they have to pay for their cigarettes actually goes back to them.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
December 11th, 2010 at 11:27am
Seriously? I didn't know they did that. That's super smart.
Y'know Gerard Way
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Y'know Gerard Way
December 11th, 2010 at 11:29am
JakubHogarddd:
Seriously? I didn't know they did that. That's super smart.

well, not entirely sure that's why they raised the taxes on cigarettes, but that's my take on the whole thing. cause a pack of cigarettes cost like... $10 (with tax) or something. the canadian government is actually gaining quite a bit of money from the taxes. they BETTER be using that money for health care.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
December 11th, 2010 at 11:37am
The government is just greedy. Although I just got 100 bucks because of HST
Y'know Gerard Way
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Y'know Gerard Way
December 11th, 2010 at 11:46am
JakubHogarddd:
The government is just greedy. Although I just got 100 bucks because of HST

lol, we're getting a bit off-topic. i was actually about to rant about mcguinty. (and here's me being off-topic again)
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
December 11th, 2010 at 08:12pm
To get back on topic

Y'know Gerard Way:
you know what though? the canadian government made a semi-smart move by raising the taxes on cigarettes. cause our taxes pay for the medical attention that they might need, the extra dollar or what have you that they have to pay for their cigarettes actually goes back to them.

Yes I heard this is what happens too...
But also, something that happens here is that there's a reserve of Mohawk land not far from Montreal, and as part of their benefits, natives are allowed to sell cigarettes and alcohol on their land without government taxation. So honestly, if you drive on the highway through Kahnawake, every 100 feet there seems to be a little hut set up with a painted sign "CIGARETTES NO TAXES" mounted on it.
Y'know Gerard Way
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Y'know Gerard Way
December 12th, 2010 at 04:28pm
Desmond Hume:
To get back on topic

Y'know Gerard Way:

But also, something that happens here is that there's a reserve of Mohawk land not far from Montreal, and as part of their benefits, natives are allowed to sell cigarettes and alcohol on their land without government taxation. So honestly, if you drive on the highway through Kahnawake, every 100 feet there seems to be a little hut set up with a painted sign "CIGARETTES NO TAXES" mounted on it.

nice benefits, eh? being able to earn money off people who are addicted to nicotine and alcohol. and i honestly didnt know there was a reserve of Mohawk land near Montreal. east, west, nord, or south of montreal? when we go to montreal, we drive from the west. so that might explain why we've never came anywhere near the reserve.
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
December 12th, 2010 at 05:28pm
Y'know Gerard Way:
Desmond Hume:
To get back on topic

Y'know Gerard Way:

nice benefits, eh? being able to earn money off people who are addicted to nicotine and alcohol. and i honestly didnt know there was a reserve of Mohawk land near Montreal. east, west, nord, or south of montreal? when we go to montreal, we drive from the west. so that might explain why we've never came anywhere near the reserve.

It issss southwest I believe... It's between Montreal and the border of New York state, because that's the only time we go through there is if we're driving to upstate New York. But yeah If you're coming from Ontario you wouldn't go through.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
December 12th, 2010 at 11:07pm
there are a lot of reserves around where I live
Tahm York
This Board Is My Home
Tahm York

Blog
January 28th, 2011 at 02:44am
I think it's taking a toll on me. I've had the worst sore throat and throughout the day my voice goes hoarse. I think it's probably time to stop...!
Dana.
This Board Is My Home
Dana.

Blog
January 28th, 2011 at 12:38pm
People still smoke on my college campus even though it clearly states that smoking is not allowed there. People are such assholes sometimes.
Mareh
King For A Couple Of Days
Mareh

Blog
January 28th, 2011 at 01:16pm
A lot of smokers will smoke anywhere, even if they're not allowed to.
Dana.
This Board Is My Home
Dana.

Blog
January 28th, 2011 at 01:23pm
I know. It's just so annoying to walk into a group of smokers and then I have to take a shower because I smell like smoke.
the libertines.
Geek
the libertines.
January 29th, 2011 at 08:31pm
Dana.:
I know. It's just so annoying to walk into a group of smokers and then I have to take a shower because I smell like smoke.
But if you're addicted and feel like you NEED it, you don't think about whether you smoking would 'annoy' someone else.

Honestly though, I doubt taxes going up will really make a huge difference. It may stop those who only socially smoke but people who are addicted will be unlikely to stop merely because of the higher taxes.
Register