Smoking

AuthorMessage
comfortably confused
Falling In Love With The Board
comfortably confused
August 11th, 2005 at 06:24pm
you know im not going to waste my time anymore sitting here arguing with someone who doesnt understand. Yes i can understand why your mad but they're are other things in this world more important then that. your just thinking about you 'oh boo hoo i have to breath in other peoples smoke' so... your not the one getting all the nicotine and tar in your lungs. People complain about smoking to much why not religion? that cause war... more people die from that. Why not on food? salt kills. Since when is it ok to preach to a smoker about killing themselves through cigarettes and not to a fat person about the amount of food they eat? their killing themselves...
again you dont understand what its like to smoke and you never will

instead of arguing the case drop it.. there is no winning. Making it illegal wont do anything except get a load of backlash, and if it is kept legal non smokers will keep complaining about it. I'm not doing anything illegal, im 17 you have to be 16 to smoke. So im going to leave you to argue with other people now cause i have said my bit and im not looking for any enemies at the moment so im gone...
*unwanted*
Jackass
*unwanted*
August 11th, 2005 at 06:53pm
the resolution isn't to make it illegal! people wont stop smoking then, they will just not do it when the police is around..
punk_rock_kitty
Geek
punk_rock_kitty
August 11th, 2005 at 08:18pm
in scotland it has mostly been banned from public places though. but i agree with comfortably confused banning it in certain places wont make people stop
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
August 12th, 2005 at 12:35am
comfortably confused:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
Cocain is an addiction. It doesn't make it right. Smoking is an addiction. It doesn't make it right. No offense to anyone, but I've always thought people who said there was no problem with smoking because it's an addiction are just coming up with an excuse not to quit. Being an addiction doesn't make it right. It doesn't mean you have the right to do deadly damage to OTHER PEOPLE'S bodies because YOU have a chemical imbalance and because YOU don't want to quit. Saying smoking isn't an issue because it's an addiction is the same as saying people who cut shouldn't get help.
Ive been trying to say this for ages, non-somkers do not understand, so really you dont know what your talking about, you can come at people with statistics and facts but you dont know what its like to smoke.

here, ill higlight something here....

theres a reason we dont, because we dont want to end up in a shit fit medical disaster. why do you want to take the chance of having to be hooked up to an O2 machine? WHY? do you think that it might be ... fashionable?

the reason we dont know what it feels like to smoke is because we know its stupid. you make it sound good, like its good to take a lite, because the company puts chemicals, and/or known as relaxants, and other drugs to make it that way, and nicotine to make you addicted. its the facts that lays behind the opinion, read it and weep.

you are literally saying that fact doesnt matter, exp does, and your half right, exp does mean something, but not until its done damage.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
August 12th, 2005 at 12:36am
I don't agree with smoking, i think it's dangerous and disgusting to a certain degree.

but i can also understand that trying to break the habbit of Nicotine is harder than giving up herion, and that's been proved.
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 12th, 2005 at 07:28am
comfortably confused:
you know im not going to waste my time anymore sitting here arguing with someone who doesnt understand. Yes i can understand why your mad but they're are other things in this world more important then that. your just thinking about you 'oh boo hoo i have to breath in other peoples smoke' so... your not the one getting all the nicotine and tar in your lungs. People complain about smoking to much why not religion? that cause war... more people die from that. Why not on food? salt kills. Since when is it ok to preach to a smoker about killing themselves through cigarettes and not to a fat person about the amount of food they eat? their killing themselves...

instead of arguing the case drop it.. there is no winning. Making it illegal wont do anything except get a load of backlash, and if it is kept legal non smokers will keep complaining about it. I'm not doing anything illegal, im 17 you have to be 16 to smoke. So im going to leave you to argue with other people now cause i have said my bit and im not looking for any enemies at the moment so im gone...

So you are coming to a debate forum and aren't going to argue your point because you have someone who disagrees and is argueing what you say? Interesting. I preach to my fat ass sister about how she never stops eating, I tell overly religious people to let it go when they try and shove religion down other people's throats. And I am thinking about myself, my mom, my brother, my sister, my best friend, one of my best friends, and everyone else I know who smokes. In fact, since I don't smoke because I'm not going to kill myself to be trendy, I'm the last person I'm worried about in smoking, actually, people who are never near smokers are. And smokers will bitch for a few years about the law, then die from lung cancer... if they make it that long. I love how you keep saying the fact that I've never smoked is a bad thing. Oh no, I've never porpusfully given myself cancer, I better not try and help other people. And I don't know where you live, but 18 is the legal smoking age here, and I don't even give a damn how old you are. I couldn't care less if you're my 14 year old friend or my 50 year old mom, smoking is still wrong. It still kills.

And also, nobody has ever said quitting smoking was easy, but it's possible. And if people gave a damn about life- their own or others- or the enviornment, they'd make the attempt.
comfortably confused
comfortably confused
August 12th, 2005 at 11:43am
i have proved my point im just fed up with trying to defend myself as you seem to think i am less of a human and person then you are because i smoke. I am not saying that you being a non smoker is a bad thing in fact i respect you for that, in today sociaty being your age and not smoking would be 'un-cool' also let me get this into your head... i do not smoke because it's 'trendy' maybe at first when i was 13 but now its my everyday thing... i love smoking. yes smoking is wrong, it kills blah blah blah but you ask any smoker if they care most of them will say no. You no you could get cancer within the next ten years... breast cancer, bowel cancer a brain tumor so you worry about your health and ill worry about mine... when i start to care.
You are not better then me because you dont fill your lungs with nicotine and tar!no one is better then anyone in this world "You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else." we are all human beings.... and if you read this topic is not about weather smoking is right or wrong its about sueing tobacco companies which i for one wont be... if the day comes when i get told i have lung cancer or heart diease ill be the one thanking them!
just because you preach to your fat ass sister doesnt mean the rest of the world is doing the same to other fat people... ok you go up to a fat person on the street and say 'can you stop eating please cause your putting your health in danger' see what reaction you get.
Pretty Like Drugs
King For A Couple Of Days
Pretty Like Drugs
August 12th, 2005 at 12:01pm
ExtraodinaryGirl:
comfortably confused:

So you are coming to a debate forum and aren't going to argue your point because you have someone who disagrees and is argueing what you say? Interesting. I preach to my fat ass sister about how she never stops eating, I tell overly religious people to let it go when they try and shove religion down other people's throats. And I am thinking about myself, my mom, my brother, my sister, my best friend, one of my best friends, and everyone else I know who smokes. In fact, since I don't smoke because I'm not going to kill myself to be trendy, I'm the last person I'm worried about in smoking, actually, people who are never near smokers are. And smokers will bitch for a few years about the law, then die from lung cancer... if they make it that long. I love how you keep saying the fact that I've never smoked is a bad thing. Oh no, I've never porpusfully given myself cancer, I better not try and help other people. And I don't know where you live, but 18 is the legal smoking age here, and I don't even give a damn how old you are. I couldn't care less if you're my 14 year old friend or my 50 year old mom, smoking is still wrong. It still kills.

And also, nobody has ever said quitting smoking was easy, but it's possible. And if people gave a damn about life- their own or others- or the enviornment, they'd make the attempt.

oh so YOU'RE the girl...
*unwanted*
Jackass
*unwanted*
August 12th, 2005 at 04:33pm
zdf_jammin:
comfortably confused:
ExtraodinaryGirl:
Cocain is an addiction. It doesn't make it right. Smoking is an addiction. It doesn't make it right. No offense to anyone, but I've always thought people who said there was no problem with smoking because it's an addiction are just coming up with an excuse not to quit. Being an addiction doesn't make it right. It doesn't mean you have the right to do deadly damage to OTHER PEOPLE'S bodies because YOU have a chemical imbalance and because YOU don't want to quit. Saying smoking isn't an issue because it's an addiction is the same as saying people who cut shouldn't get help.
Ive been trying to say this for ages, non-somkers do not understand, so really you dont know what your talking about, you can come at people with statistics and facts but you dont know what its like to smoke.

here, ill higlight something here....

theres a reason we dont, because we dont want to end up in a shit fit medical disaster. why do you want to take the chance of having to be hooked up to an O2 machine? WHY? do you think that it might be ... fashionable?

the reason we dont know what it feels like to smoke is because we know its stupid. you make it sound good, like its good to take a lite, because the company puts chemicals, and/or known as relaxants, and other drugs to make it that way, and nicotine to make you addicted. its the facts that lays behind the opinion, read it and weep.

you are literally saying that fact doesnt matter, exp does, and your half right, exp does mean something, but not until its done damage.

well, we also knew it was bad when we started, but we just didn't care.. yes, most smokers know about what happens to our organs when we smoke.. but you can take your damn facts and put them up your ass! I don't know why the hell people are still talking about this! how many people here has said what happens to our body when we smoke or told a sad little story about a smoker and how the person died from it! well screw that! we know all the facts, and as you might have noticed, WE DON'T CARE!
what's debateable here is smoking in public and 2nd hand smoking! not all the facts about how it will kill us CAUSE WE KNOW, AND WE DON'T CARE!!
*unwanted*
Jackass
*unwanted*
August 12th, 2005 at 04:42pm
ExtraodinaryGirl:
comfortably confused:

*caugh* yeah, we smoke cause it's trendy.. whenever I take up a cigarette I always look around to make sure that everyone can see what I'm about to do.. *SARCASME* It's not cool to smoke! I don't know where you have that idea from! I've never noticed that, maybe when I was like 14 or something, I thought it was cool when me and a couple of friends ran off from school to smoke.. But no one thinks I'm cool cause I smoke Shocked
let me tell you something, all you people come here with all your facts that we're gonna die because we smoke! well I'll tell you that I might be stroken by a lightning tomorrow and die.. not everyone get's cancer, not everyone dies from it.. My great grandfather was 99years old when he died, and he had smoked his entire life!
smoking itself isn't healthy but there are a lot of other things that has an impact on when you're gonna die.. like; your lifestyle, do you eat healthy, go jogging and things like that.. it's not determined that everyone who smoke will dir from it Rolling Eyes
and again, can we stop with all the facts.. I've read all the facts for 12 pages now, it's the same over and over again.. don't you people have anything NEW to come with for a change! Rolling Eyes
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
August 12th, 2005 at 05:08pm
ok then,

how about this, instead of your smoking killing just you, how about your second hand smoking killing three?

your making a path of destruction, and taking down others at the same time
comfortably confused
comfortably confused
August 12th, 2005 at 05:16pm
zdf_jammin:
ok then,

how about this, instead of your smoking killing just you, how about your second hand smoking killing three?

your making a path of destruction, and taking down others at the same time
second hand smoke is NOT the biggest killer so stop making out that it is... yes its a killer but people choose to go to pubs, restaraunts and other public places where people smoke...they know that there are going to be smokers there yet they choose to go.
*unwanted*
Jackass
*unwanted*
August 12th, 2005 at 05:19pm
aah, there we have somthing to talk about.. Wink

I try not to smoke in front of people who don't want me to, or don't smoke themself.. I go out or a few steps away from them until I finished, or I ask if it's ok to stand there first..
I think there should be a law everywhere against smoking in resturants and stuff (like we have in my country) cause the people working there shouldn't be exposed to all that smoke.. it's like, you can't stop us from smoking at home or in public.. but we should do what we can not to posison the poor non-smokers.. go outside smoking and try not to smoke in the same room as a child..
but there will always be some smoke blowing over to the non-smokers.. and I don't think you should complain that much if the person that smokes has tried not to blow smoke at you, then that's probably the best thing he/she could do..
Not all people are as nice, I see a lot of people smoking while standing in line and stuff, and it's those people that you should yell at.. not those who actually try not to poison the non-smokers..

btw, if you're around a smoker and you get some smoke at you.. I can assure you that that probably wont give you cancer Rolling Eyes
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 13th, 2005 at 04:10pm
Let's start with this: I'm not better than any other human. I'm not better than you, I'm not better than anyone on this forum. I don't think I am, I never thought I was, I never will think I am, I never said I am, I'm not saying I am, and I never will.
You haven't proven your point. All you've said is "it's an addiction" and "we don't care that it kills" Which is something that everybody already knows. You have proven NOTHING to me
I never said SOME smoke will kill you. But when you are sitting in a car with a smoker for 4 hours who smokes a cigarette every hour, that isn't good for you. Neither is even walking by a smoker.
Nobody ever said smoking was the biggest killer. We've just said it kills. Which is fact.
Facts help in debates. This is a debate. I can use any facts I want to help my arguement, and if you can find any facts that make smoking out to be good, you are more than allowed to use it.
Did I ever say that every single person who smokes makes sure everyone is around them all the time? No. I never even said every smoker cares about how "cool" they look. So I'd apprecaite it if you don't put words in my mouth.
If you come up with an arguement other than "it's addictive" and "we know" then I will counter that.
And what's debatable here is: Is smoking right? Is it right in public places? Simple answer to both: No.
Did I ever say I was "the girl"? What does that even mean? I stand my ground so I think I'm better than everyone and I'm the ultimate? With that reason, I could say the same thing to you.
And when did I say that everyone in the world talked to fat people about their health? I was countering MY points with MY life experiences and things I have learned.
So here's some debate tips: Get more than 2 arguements, speak your point without personally insulting people, know facts for your arguement, don't leave because you're sick of people disagreeing with you, especially if you plan on coming back.
*unwanted*
Jackass
*unwanted*
August 13th, 2005 at 04:57pm
ExtraodinaryGirl:
Let's start with this: I'm not better than any other human. I'm not better than you, I'm not better than anyone on this forum. I don't think I am, I never thought I was, I never will think I am, I never said I am, I'm not saying I am, and I never will.
You haven't proven your point. All you've said is "it's an addiction" and "we don't care that it kills" Which is something that everybody already knows. You have proven NOTHING to me
I never said SOME smoke will kill you. But when you are sitting in a car with a smoker for 4 hours who smokes a cigarette every hour, that isn't good for you. Neither is even walking by a smoker.
Nobody ever said smoking was the biggest killer. We've just said it kills. Which is fact.
Facts help in debates. This is a debate. I can use any facts I want to help my arguement, and if you can find any facts that make smoking out to be good, you are more than allowed to use it.
Did I ever say that every single person who smokes makes sure everyone is around them all the time? No. I never even said every smoker cares about how "cool" they look. So I'd apprecaite it if you don't put words in my mouth.
If you come up with an arguement other than "it's addictive" and "we know" then I will counter that.
And what's debatable here is: Is smoking right? Is it right in public places? Simple answer to both: No.
Did I ever say I was "the girl"? What does that even mean? I stand my ground so I think I'm better than everyone and I'm the ultimate? With that reason, I could say the same thing to you.
And when did I say that everyone in the world talked to fat people about their health? I was countering MY points with MY life experiences and things I have learned.
So here's some debate tips: Get more than 2 arguements, speak your point without personally insulting people, know facts for your arguement, don't leave because you're sick of people disagreeing with you, especially if you plan on coming back.

ok, let me tell you a fact then.. many old people who started smoking 60-70 years ago can't stop smoking now cause it's become a habbit and they like it, it's social.. They smoke cause it's comforting to them, it calms them down.. When everything around them changes they feel that smoke is a thing they feel is stabil and the one thing they can rely on, this is a fact.. I can find interviews of old smokers who can back me up (though I doubt you will understand them since their in Norwegian)..

have you ever tried telling people not to smoke in the car? or atleast have the window open? it takes 5minutes to smoke a cigarette you could stop the car you know.. if you see someone on the street smoking then walk around them then..
Yes, I know your arguement now.. that "why should you be the one who have to adjust all the time.." I'm not saying that, but of course you have to make sacrifices too.. You can't live your life with out any smoke if you live in the city, or you know someone who smokes.. If you gently ask a person who smokes right beside you if he could do it somewhere else, he might possibly do so..

And you ask: "is smoking right?" well I could go on and on about a lot of other things that isn't right, but that seems to just piss you off and I'm not here to argue but to let you know what I think.
and maybe smoking isn't right, but you can't illegalies (sp?) it.. and maybe you're right, maybe it should never have been invented.. But those thoughts are waaay to late to come with now, and I don't think that's the question you should be asking.. You should rather ask: Is it right to take away something that so many people need on a daily basis to get through the day?
votefordisco
Rotting On Here
votefordisco

Mibba
August 13th, 2005 at 05:28pm
I like smoking but I don't do it often...so I am quite proud of myself for that... 0_o
comfortably confused
comfortably confused
August 14th, 2005 at 06:57am
ExtraodinaryGirl:
the way you are coming across is that your making me feel that way, and you told me not to insult someone, who have i insulted and why? you have insulted me more. I didnt say it was an addiction i said people smoke because they also enjoy it. i might have proven anything to YOU but thats not what i set out to do... i have proven a point to someone.
Your not the one whos going to die from smoking and ill bet any money your not going to die from second hand smoke either. dont come at me with debate tips, i know who to fucking debate but the thing is this isnt a debate anymore ist a stupid argument where no one is going to win so whats the point? I didnt leave because i was sick of people disagreeing with me i expect people to do that i left people i was wasting my time, and i still am. Yes facts help in a debate but experience does as well. You see now i really am not going to quit because i dont want to end up as one of them complaining non-smokers.

(ps i dont know where the 'so your the girl' thing came from... i really dont.)
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 14th, 2005 at 07:46am
*unwanted*:
ExtraodinaryGirl:

ok, let me tell you a fact then.. many old people who started smoking 60-70 years ago can't stop smoking now cause it's become a habbit and they like it, it's social.. They smoke cause it's comforting to them, it calms them down.. When everything around them changes they feel that smoke is a thing they feel is stabil and the one thing they can rely on, this is a fact.. I can find interviews of old smokers who can back me up (though I doubt you will understand them since their in Norwegian)..

have you ever tried telling people not to smoke in the car? or atleast have the window open? it takes 5minutes to smoke a cigarette you could stop the car you know.. if you see someone on the street smoking then walk around them then..
Yes, I know your arguement now.. that "why should you be the one who have to adjust all the time.." I'm not saying that, but of course you have to make sacrifices too.. You can't live your life with out any smoke if you live in the city, or you know someone who smokes.. If you gently ask a person who smokes right beside you if he could do it somewhere else, he might possibly do so..

And you ask: "is smoking right?" well I could go on and on about a lot of other things that isn't right, but that seems to just piss you off and I'm not here to argue but to let you know what I think.
and maybe smoking isn't right, but you can't illegalies (sp?) it.. and maybe you're right, maybe it should never have been invented.. But those thoughts are waaay to late to come with now, and I don't think that's the question you should be asking.. You should rather ask: Is it right to take away something that so many people need on a daily basis to get through the day?

1: It's an addiction. That's been said and agreed to MANY times. Doesn't mean somebody is going to die the instant they stop smoking.
2: Yes, actually I have. I do whatever I can not to have to inhale smoke. But I'm 15 and I don't control my moms car, so when she's driving and I'm sitting next to her and she's smoking, she'll open a window, which doesn't do jack shit. Who says I don't walk around people? But it's not always easy enough to be walking down a sidewalk and walk by someone who's smoking and just walk around them, considering you'll usually be walking onto someone else's property, or into the road. I also never said I was the only one who has to adjust.
3: The thing that annoys me about when people keep bringing up OTHER issues, is that: (a)this topic is about smoking, therefore I'm going to talk about smoking in it, and (b)you can't fight every battle. Smoking and illegal drug use are two battles that I have chosen to fight, and that exhausts me enough as it is. I get enough heat on that without adding other issues to my list of things I want to take a stand against. NOBODY can fight every battle, not me, not kings, not presidents, not singers, not actors.... nobody. You have to pick your battles, I have.
4: And yes, it is too late, but it's still a point I can make.

(PS- "So your the girl" had nothing to do with you. Peaches said that directed at me. And you may believe you've proven a point, alright, believe it, but if you're wasting your time, why do you keep coming here? I thought you were going to leave about a page ago? And I'm sorry if I've made it sound like I think I'm better than anyone else, not my intention, I'm just trying to make my points.)
comfortably confused
comfortably confused
August 14th, 2005 at 07:56am
ExtraodinaryGirl:
(PS- "So your the girl" had nothing to do with you. Peaches said that directed at me. And you may believe you've proven a point, alright, believe it, but if you're wasting your time, why do you keep coming here? I thought you were going to leave about a page ago? And I'm sorry if I've made it sound like I think I'm better than anyone else, not my intention, I'm just trying to make my points.)

im sorry i keep coming back i think im one of them annoying people that just cant leave things, i really am going but i just have to say a few more things, i completly resecpt you, you have your views on smoking and i feel that if i had them then i wouldnt be a smoker today. I try to quit i really do but it's just so hard to give up something you love. Hopefully one day i will be able to do it. Thankyou for apologising about offending im also sorry i took it the wrong way when you really are just trying to prove your points.
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 14th, 2005 at 08:06am
comfortably confused:
ExtraodinaryGirl:

im sorry i keep coming back i think im one of them annoying people that just cant leave things, i really am going but i just have to say a few more things, i completly resecpt you, you have your views on smoking and i feel that if i had them then i wouldnt be a smoker today. I try to quit i really do but it's just so hard to give up something you love. Hopefully one day i will be able to do it. Thankyou for apologising about offending im also sorry i took it the wrong way when you really are just trying to prove your points.

I'm one of those people, too, I think everyone is, most people just won't admit it, lol. And I do respect that you want to get your point across(even though I don't respect your views on smoking, lol)And I get that it's hard to quit, everyone gets that. But yeah, hopefully it'll work out for you in the end, good luck with that.

**I love how quickly the atmosphere of this thread changes, lol**
Register