Live 8

AuthorMessage
liquid_dookie
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
liquid_dookie
July 7th, 2005 at 03:17pm
As you know, this past Saturday was the Live 8 concert, many bands, old and new, showed their support for the "One campaign" and "Make Poverty History." Do you think that these concerts can actually make a difference? I do, I see it that the world leaders have no choice now. I live in Canada, and I see Paul Martin is very hesitant at removing the debt from Africa, cuz Canada could go into debt...but I see it as, we're probiably getting little money from Africa anyway...so it's not that bad to remove their debt, also, if Africa ends up becoming debt free, they can start to grow, it's not about our countries here, it's about helping the other ones in need. I, for one support Live 8, not just because Green Day supports it, but because it's a really good cause. So, with that said, post what you think...

P.S. I'm sorry if this post was done already
Pancake Lizard
Geek
Pancake Lizard
July 7th, 2005 at 04:01pm
I strongly doubt that povery will decrease alot...I think that this will defenetly put some impact on the Government, to help distinguish some of the worlds poverty.
Pancake Lizard
Geek
Pancake Lizard
July 7th, 2005 at 04:02pm
I do support it.I signed a petition on it too.I hope that this will all help make some drastic, and positive changes.
no.time.to.kill!*chomp*
Idiot
no.time.to.kill!*chomp*
July 8th, 2005 at 05:31am
They had millions of people sign that petition. I think the way it was marketed was really fantastic too. They had all sorts of performers; old rock, new rock, hip hop, soul, jazz/funk, pop...

it was really great to see these people get up and support the cause, although i was disappointed to hear that they each recieved a goody bag worth $30,000. but still.

and I agree with bob geldof, the g8 cannot ignore 26million names. I think it was a great idea
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
July 8th, 2005 at 11:50am
haha, weeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

you know what. i think this is going to end up being something a lot of people agree on. "o the governments stupid, they better do it..... petition..... live 8 was a such a great thing....."

how about figuring out why their in debt. every stupid country is in at least some debt. even the us, canada, britian. and people bitch the government for it. but guess what, IT WILL ALWAYS BE THERE. yea, it is a good thing to lift it off africa and be nice politicians, but they have to worry about their country being poor too.

i dont want to sound like an asshole, but you have to cover your own bases before youg out helping other people. fortunatly, i really dont think bush has to worry to mcuh, even though theres already too much poverty in the US as it is.
Rockadelick
Idiot
Rockadelick
July 8th, 2005 at 01:19pm
what annoys me is the way we go on and on about how much we care then in between the flashing images of dying kids, up flashes a celebration pic coz we won our olympic bid and they announce some ridiculous sum of money that's being spent on a stadium to, lets face it, show off to the rest of the world. i think it's all so hypocritical and although live 8 is a good idea, it seems to me like a selfish way out cause people only got interested in the issue when they knew we'd get a free concert out of it. or at least that's how it came across to me. i'm shutting up now...
no_one
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
no_one
July 8th, 2005 at 07:36pm
it'll make a difference, 4 sure, coz you can't sit on your ass n do nuffing with so many ppl demanding an end to world poverty. but i seriously doubt it will ever come to an end
imafuckingidiot
King For A Couple Of Days
imafuckingidiot
July 8th, 2005 at 09:13pm
i support it and all but i doubt it will help ALOT..but it should help a little and thats better than none.
lex655
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
lex655
July 9th, 2005 at 01:57am
i think that the concerts will benefit people in 3rd world countries in the SHORT TERM. Until the worlds political leaders stop making decisions that end the lives of tens of thousands of innocent people, then there will be no end to the destruction of the non- western world. Crying or Very sad There needs to be long term solutions, otherwise the money will never even make it to Africa, just like it didn't make it to south east asia after the sunami Exclamation
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
July 9th, 2005 at 02:00am
lex655:
i think that the concerts will benefit people in 3rd world countries in the SHORT TERM. Until the worlds political leaders stop making decisions that end the lives of tens of thousands of innocent people, then there will be no end to the destruction of the non- western world. Crying or Very sad There needs to be long term solutions, otherwise the money will never even make it to Africa, just like it didn't make it to south east asia after the sunami Exclamation

lol, nonwestern? also known as "eastern." but yea, your right about long term solutions. people like seeing immediate results.

your still a noob, with one post, and you joined in may....Neutral what do you honestly do?
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
July 9th, 2005 at 08:25pm
check out my ava <----
Dom
Jackass
Dom
July 10th, 2005 at 08:47am
pistachio.shell:
They had millions of people sign that petition. I think the way it was marketed was really fantastic too. They had all sorts of performers; old rock, new rock, hip hop, soul, jazz/funk, pop...

it was really great to see these people get up and support the cause, although i was disappointed to hear that they each recieved a goody bag worth $30,000. but still.

and I agree with bob geldof, the g8 cannot ignore 26million names. I think it was a great idea

dont be dissappointed by the goody bag thing, a lot of performers are donating their extra royalties from CD sales to charity (pink floyd and paul macaratny for example). Besides dont forget its an awareness-raiser not a fund-raiser.
liquid_dookie
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
liquid_dookie
July 10th, 2005 at 12:16pm
i124q:
pistachio.shell:

dont be dissappointed by the goody bag thing, a lot of performers are donating their extra royalties from CD sales to charity (pink floyd and paul macaratny for example). Besides dont forget its an awareness-raiser not a fund-raiser.

Yes, this is true, because apparently in England Pink Floyd's CD sales went up over 1000% since the concert! Shocked So just think of how much they'd get for royalties...that's a lot of money!...and about the goodie bags...I'm sure that was more of a thank you, I don't think (I can only hope not) that any band/singer/rappper did this because they'd get material possessions out of this....I'm sure they did it for the joy of knowing they're helping contribute something to Africa.
Ilse
Ilse
July 10th, 2005 at 11:19pm
Live 8 pissed me off.

200,000 people show up, instead of charging everyone a dollar ($200,00 dollars) to get in, make it free and give the performers 10,000 dollar gift baskets.

"We don't want your money we want your voice." Because my voice will feed the needy in Africa...riiiiiiight.

I'm tired of them pimiping this idea to everyone. What needs to happen is that the rockers with the huge ego's *cough bono cough* needs to sell one of their 15 palaces across the world and donate the money to this crisis and then spend some time down in Chad or any other 3rd world country.

*sigh* my rant is over.
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
July 10th, 2005 at 11:43pm
September_has_Ended:
Live 8 pissed me off.

200,000 people show up, instead of charging everyone a dollar ($200,00 dollars) to get in, make it free and give the performers 10,000 dollar gift baskets.

"We don't want your money we want your voice." Because my voice will feed the needy in Africa...riiiiiiight.

I'm tired of them pimiping this idea to everyone. What needs to happen is that the rockers with the huge ego's *cough bono cough* needs to sell one of their 15 palaces across the world and donate the money to this crisis and then spend some time down in Chad or any other 3rd world country.

*sigh* my rant is over.
I agree with you halfway.
onedollar for the live 8 thing isnt a whole lot, and they could have used that money for the cause instead of gift baskets.
but yea, bono has got to take an ego check. hes taking in a lot of attention, and i think thats what U2 is about a lot of times.
Ilse
Ilse
July 11th, 2005 at 12:10am
zdf_jammin:
September_has_Ended:
Live 8 pissed me off.

*sigh* my rant is over.
onedollar for the live 8 thing isnt a whole lot, and they could have used that money for the cause instead of gift baskets.
but yea, bono has got to take an ego check. hes taking in a lot of attention, and i think thats what U2 is about a lot of times.
I think you misunderstood me. They made the concert free and gave the rockers gift baskets.

Although, my wording was rather confusing.

Te first par was what I thought should have happened.
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
July 11th, 2005 at 12:12am
September_has_Ended:
zdf_jammin:
September_has_Ended:
Live 8 pissed me off.

*sigh* my rant is over.
I think you misunderstood me. They made the concert free and gave the rockers gift baskets.

Although, my wording was rather confusing.

Te first par was what I thought should have happened.
o, i see now.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
July 11th, 2005 at 12:38am
September_has_Ended:
Live 8 pissed me off.

*sigh* my rant is over.

Clap
Pretty Like Drugs
King For A Couple Of Days
Pretty Like Drugs
July 10th, 2005 at 10:17pm
spill_no_sick:
September_has_Ended:
Live 8 pissed me off.

*sigh* my rant is over.

fuck. i didn't even know they did that

Clap
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
July 12th, 2006 at 04:44am
I was there!! GZA

Erm, I think it was a good idea at all, attention instead of money this time.
Register