Drinking age

AuthorMessage
Effy
Addict
Effy
January 4th, 2010 at 01:40pm
ZukoAlone:
I think keeping the legal drinking age at 21 is a good idea.
Granted, minors still get drunk BUT [at least in my area] they do it in secret mainly at ranches or secluded houses, backyards and such. This at least doesn't have a bunch of dumb drunk teens out in public.
21 SEEMS more mature and of having better judgement to not drive drunk or act a fool in public.
Lowering it to 18, from my experience, is not a good idea I've seen a lot more teens become destructive reaching this age, than act adult.

So when they get alcohol poisoning they are surrounded by equally drunk, irresponsible teenagers that probably won't know what to do.

I think it is better to be drinking in a bar or a club surrounded by peers but also adults, or at least more experienced adolescents. I've seen both scenario's happen and personally liked the second one a little better.

16 for beer and wine, 18 for everything stronger works good for me.
Aliiiiii.
King For A Couple Of Days
Aliiiiii.
January 4th, 2010 at 02:15pm
I think if the drinking age was changed to younger than it is now, particularly in the UK, teenagers who were suddenly of age would go crazy, and there'd be a little bit of trouble.

If the drinking age was to be changed, it should be phased in. Similarly to how they changed the age that you could get a provisional driving license in the UK?

The main reason I think that kids would go crazy is my own experience. I went on a school trip to Paris in 2008 - I was 18, so being allowed to drink wasn't a novelty to me, but being able to drink at 16 sent some people crazy. I distinctly remember vomiting off of balconies - nice.

Maybe the drinking age should stay the same, but be regulated more?? Because like Effy said, teenagers get together by themselves and drink way too much - that's what happened with my friend who choked on his tongue. Luckily, adults were nearby, in the same village, so they could help quickly. If younger kids find it harder to get ahold of alcohol or they're warned more about adverse effects, it might put them off. Maybe.
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
January 4th, 2010 at 04:24pm
I personally think that lowering the drinking age, is one of the top ten craziest ideas that anyone could ever contemplate. Things are hectic enough as it is. I was never completley aware of how ridiculous the situation was until I moved to the city for college in 2008 and my God, I was given a wake up call.

As far as I'm concerned, it's far to easy as it is to obtain alcohol anyway. In the eyes of law you're supposed to be mature when you reach a certain age, therefore you're given this legal privallage.

But imagine it being lowered to 16, when teenagers are at their most rebellious. If anything, I think it should be raised.
ZukoAlone
Idiot
ZukoAlone
January 4th, 2010 at 10:07pm
Effy:

So when they get alcohol poisoning they are surrounded by equally drunk, irresponsible teenagers that probably won't know what to do.

I think it is better to be drinking in a bar or a club surrounded by peers but also adults, or at least more experienced adolescents. I've seen both scenario's happen and personally liked the second one a little better.

16 for beer and wine, 18 for everything stronger works good for me.

wow.
they wouldn't know what to do?
I actually have a great example for this:
You are right about some teens not knowing what to do, but more than likely they do know what to do.
A house party was going on a couple of weeks ago and girl [around 15] made the choice of downing every and any drink she could to the point that she was walking around vomiting sporadically.
People at the party helped her sober up and not fall asleep in case she vomited again.
__

I think alcohol should be made harder to obtain for minors.
Face it their are 18 year olds who are friends with even younger kids.
Its already a problem that legal adults buy alcohol for minors.

ps: i wish i could word things better :/
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
January 4th, 2010 at 10:50pm
I think a problem with setting the drinking age so high at 21 is that alcohol becomes that much cooler because it's "illegal" and unobtainable. You know what I'm saying?
In my experience, minors who drink are getting such a rush out of drinking before they're allowed, they tend to go overboard in an attempt to be cool.
ZukoAlone
Idiot
ZukoAlone
January 5th, 2010 at 05:45pm
Desmond Hume:
I think a problem with setting the drinking age so high at 21 is that alcohol becomes that much cooler because it's "illegal" and unobtainable. You know what I'm saying?
In my experience, minors who drink are getting such a rush out of drinking before they're allowed, they tend to go overboard in an attempt to be cool.
Because its so tempting it would be better to lower the legal age to purchase alcohol?
Say they do lower because of that reason, then 14 years will be extra tempted....and then maybe 12 year olds.
This situation reminds me of a story [modern parable] to let a child always grabing at the stove, burn himself so he can learn not to and in turn know the consequences.
[LOL on a lighter note: i may not be making sense]
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
January 5th, 2010 at 09:43pm
ZukoAlone:
Desmond Hume:
Because its so tempting it would be better to lower the legal age to purchase alcohol?
Say they do lower because of that reason, then 14 years will be extra tempted....and then maybe 12 year olds.
This situation reminds me of a story [modern parable] to let a child always grabing at the stove, burn himself so he can learn not to and in turn know the consequences.
[LOL on a lighter note: i may not be making sense]

Valid point, its 18 where I live and you're right, drinking at 14-15 is not uncommon.
ZukoAlone
Idiot
ZukoAlone
January 5th, 2010 at 10:17pm
I think its 21 in the whole U.S :/
stilinski
stilinski

Blog
January 6th, 2010 at 12:19pm
Desmond Hume:

I think you're right. That's why I think 18 is reasonable.
There's going to be illegal drinking whatever the legal age is.
ZukoAlone
Idiot
ZukoAlone
January 6th, 2010 at 07:35pm
Mike Skinner:
Desmond Hume:

Thats kinda like saying just because people do illegal things we should let them.
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
January 7th, 2010 at 12:31pm
ZukoAlone:
Mike Skinner:
Desmond Hume:

Thats kinda like saying just because people do illegal things we should let them.

People are going to try to do things illegally no matter what. I'm not saying we should let them, but expecting people to not drink at all until the age of 21 is unreasonable. It's going to be done anyways.
ZukoAlone
Idiot
ZukoAlone
January 7th, 2010 at 07:07pm
Desmond Hume:

People are going to try to do things illegally no matter what. I'm not saying we should let them, but expecting people to not drink at all until the age of 21 is unreasonable. It's going to be done anyways.

So since it's going to be done anyway, it should be lowered?
stilinski
stilinski

Blog
January 7th, 2010 at 07:25pm
ZukoAlone:
Desmond Hume:

In my opinion it should never have been as high as 21, so it shouldn't necessarily be lowered, it should just have been lower.
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
January 7th, 2010 at 08:54pm
Mike Skinner:
ZukoAlone:
Desmond Hume:

In my opinion it should never have been as high as 21, so it shouldn't necessarily be lowered, it should just have been lower.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with this.
ZukoAlone
Idiot
ZukoAlone
January 7th, 2010 at 09:36pm
Of course, so what would be the ideal age then?
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
January 7th, 2010 at 09:51pm
ZukoAlone:

18, like where I live. From personal experience, I think it's ideal.
ZukoAlone
Idiot
ZukoAlone
January 8th, 2010 at 12:18am
Desmond Hume:
ZukoAlone:

And from personal experience, I dont think it's ideal.
Maybe the difference has to do with the area, idk. :/
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
January 8th, 2010 at 09:10am
ZukoAlone:
Desmond Hume:
ZukoAlone:

And from personal experience, I dont think it's ideal.
Maybe the difference has to do with the area, idk. :/

true, or the people, it always depends.
ZukoAlone
Idiot
ZukoAlone
January 8th, 2010 at 04:17pm
I was thinking that maybe the legal age should be judged on the area because of our points.
But that would just cause some kids from driving out of state to purchase alcohol if their state held a higher age Laughing
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
January 8th, 2010 at 04:38pm
yeah, here in Canada, the age in most provinces is 18, but a few are 19. Doesn't make that much sense imo...18 or 19, it should be consistent for a country.
Register