The Q&A thread

AuthorMessage
hellokittyxcore
Jackass
hellokittyxcore
August 21st, 2005 at 03:08am
Post questions here like Whats the best bass to get or whats a good band name...
dysLEXIa
King For A Couple Of Days
dysLEXIa
August 21st, 2005 at 04:23am
O thank god. lol I have a question. In bass tabs (and guitar tabs too I beleive), sometimes it has like...er....somethin like...

-------------
-------------
--4ph6-----
-------------

or such and such. If it's possible to explain, what does that mean?? Thank ya.

And as I think of it, I have yet another one. Smile Um, in bass, do you ever (or sometimes) hit two or more strings at once like guitar?? Like a chord (stillh ave yet to learn those.....lmao).

I sound like such an idiot. Smile
Dom
Jackass
Dom
August 21st, 2005 at 05:49am
Whatsername_:
O thank god. lol I have a question. In bass tabs (and guitar tabs too I beleive), sometimes it has like...er....somethin like...

-------------
-------------
--4ph6-----
-------------

And as I think of it, I have yet another one. Smile Um, in bass, do you ever (or sometimes) hit two or more strings at once like guitar?? Like a chord (stillh ave yet to learn those.....lmao).

it will be ----------------4h6p------

the H meaning hammer on to the fret right of the h (being the 6) which makes another sound, and the p means pull off. so you pull off of that fret aswell making another sound.
dysLEXIa
dysLEXIa
August 21st, 2005 at 10:06pm
Dom:
Whatsername_:

-------------
-------------
--4ph6-----
-------------

it will be ----------------4h6p------

the H meaning hammer on to the fret right of the h (being the 6) which makes another sound, and the p means pull off. so you pull off of that fret aswell making another sound.

Ooooo. I get it now. Thanks for that! Smile
Basketcase463
Basketcase463
August 22nd, 2005 at 09:49am
that sounds really complicated lol
dysLEXIa
dysLEXIa
August 23rd, 2005 at 02:45am
Also, one more. In your opinion (if it's opinionated), what is better? Pic or fingers. (basswise) For me, it sounds much better using pics and I can't use my fingers for some reason. It sounds too low and I can't get it to use the right sound.
Elvis Impersonator
Idiot
Elvis Impersonator
August 23rd, 2005 at 06:33am
Whatsername_:
Also, one more. In your opinion (if it's opinionated), what is better? Pic or fingers. (basswise) For me, it sounds much better using pics and I can't use my fingers for some reason. It sounds too low and I can't get it to use the right sound.

it depends on the stuff you're playing. for green day, blink 182, etc, use a pick, because mike and mark do so it will help you get the right sound. if you cant use your fingers, use a pick, but can i ask why you cant? if its because of the blisters, just put up with it, because after a while the skin on your fingers will go hard and you wont get blisters.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
August 23rd, 2005 at 07:22am
im keeping my mouth shut *zips mouth*
Elvis Impersonator
Idiot
Elvis Impersonator
August 23rd, 2005 at 08:01am
Nine_Inch_Nails:

lmfao
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
August 23rd, 2005 at 08:09am
I think a pick is better and I play with a pick, but my dad constantly annoys me and tells me I should play with my fingers Sad
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
August 23rd, 2005 at 08:09am
i feel like dookie:
Nine_Inch_Nails:

lmfao

ok *unzips mouth* HOW MANY OF THESE THREADS DO YOU WANT TO MAKE!?!?!?!?! *is calm*
dysLEXIa
dysLEXIa
August 23rd, 2005 at 01:41pm
See, it's not because of the blisters. I can deal with that. It's just that it 1. doesnt' make the right sound (IMO) and 2. you can't hear it right.
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
August 23rd, 2005 at 01:51pm
same here, it sounds retarted... lol
cheese_for_a_day
cheese_for_a_day
August 23rd, 2005 at 02:27pm
yeah, i use a pick when i play bass..i dunno..i think its jsut cause i played guitar a bit before picking up the bass..so it was jsut easier to use a pick
Franny.
Franny.
August 25th, 2005 at 01:33am
Whatsername_:
See, it's not because of the blisters. I can deal with that. It's just that it 1. doesnt' make the right sound (IMO) and 2. you can't hear it right.

doesnt sound right because if the song is meant to be played with a pick then you need the pick to have the more higher edge sound. and sometimes you can't hear it right is because you have to play closer to the bridge. the sound will come out properly there
dysLEXIa
dysLEXIa
August 25th, 2005 at 06:04pm
oOoOoOo I getcha. lol. I'll try that. Smile
dysLEXIa
dysLEXIa
August 30th, 2005 at 11:03pm
Okay, gonna sound stupid again, but hammer....does that mean just putting your finger ont he certain fret really hard to make a noise....like a hammer?? lol. but that's a serious question. Ya knever know. it could be somethin else....lol
cheese_for_a_day
cheese_for_a_day
August 30th, 2005 at 11:35pm
no its just like...err....say you're trying to play 7h8 or something on any randon string, you have your finger on the 7th fret, say your pointer finger, you play the string and tehn quickly put, lets say, your ring finger on the 8th fret...

i hope thats not confusing Very Happy Retard Razz
dysLEXIa
dysLEXIa
September 3rd, 2005 at 01:57am
OOOOOOOOO. Okies. Spank ya for that! Very Happy
Bamboozler
Idiot
Bamboozler
September 3rd, 2005 at 08:54pm
Okay, here's a question for all of you. I plan on learning a new instrument besides piano, but I don't know wheter to learn bass or guitar. I hear bass is easy if you know how to play guitar you can play bass. The thing is Dad says I have no potential for guitar which makes me want to play an instrument more to show him up. So can you guys give me your opinions on what you think I should do? It would be much appreciated.
Register