Does the Media corrupt young people?

AuthorMessage
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
January 26th, 2006 at 08:41am
GreenDayislife:
the media corrupts. PERIOD. not all media corrupts people though.

All because i see two men killing each other in a film doesnt mean that i would go out and kill some one!

Also the GREAT author Stephen King hinself said that even though he writes horror and murder stories he believes that he isnt contributing to the violence that is on the streets.

What should people do, stop making films that have death in them or stop people making music that glorefies gangs and murder? What we need to do is make people/children aware of the differance between real life and make believe.

My son who is just six is allowed to play Doom 3 and he knows that that is just make believe.
Kitti
Falling In Love With The Board
Kitti
January 26th, 2006 at 10:22am
tre_cool_is_god:
GreenDayislife:

All because i see two men killing each other in a film doesnt mean that i would go out and kill some one!

Also the GREAT author Stephen King hinself said that even though he writes horror and murder stories he believes that he isnt contributing to the violence that is on the streets.

What should people do, stop making films that have death in them or stop people making music that glorefies gangs and murder? What we need to do is make people/children aware of the differance between real life and make believe.

My son who is just six is allowed to play Doom 3 and he knows that that is just make believe.

Doom rocks!

I think you're right in a way there. I mean, if anyone here has seen the film the Pianist, that's very violent. It's about the Warsaw ghetto in WWII, and I'd say the degree of violence in that would make a typically violent crowd very docile indeed. That may be the fact that it really happened, and millions of people died as a result of it, but still. And things like that, it's important to know that that violence is real, that there are bad things out there, and that when people die, it is a tragedy. I think that's one of the major lessons parents miss teaching their children when they are still young enough to learn, and that's why the media is getting blamed.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 26th, 2006 at 11:19am
paradoxical:
tre_cool_is_god:
GreenDayislife:

Doom rocks!

I think you're right in a way there. I mean, if anyone here has seen the film the Pianist, that's very violent. It's about the Warsaw ghetto in WWII, and I'd say the degree of violence in that would make a typically violent crowd very docile indeed. That may be the fact that it really happened, and millions of people died as a result of it, but still. And things like that, it's important to know that that violence is real, that there are bad things out there, and that when people die, it is a tragedy. I think that's one of the major lessons parents miss teaching their children when they are still young enough to learn, and that's why the media is getting blamed.

i've seen that film and thought it was great but very violent. And your right the degree of violence in that film will make a violent crowd seem more docile. I have allways taught my children the differance between real violence and make belive and they know that there are bad things that happen, but the good things out weigh the bad things.
VF Lover!
VF Lover!
January 26th, 2006 at 04:05pm
Young people aren't the only ones under the influence. Adults can be, too. It really just depends on the person.

But yes, I do believe that media has all gone to shit. It's portraying models and celebrities that are "perfect", and saying that THEY are beautiful instead of encouraging individuality. It's the imperfections in life that make it so beautiful, but most don't realize that.
Also, violent video games, movies, etc... My neighbor's little cousin is like seven years old now. He plays Grand Theft Audo like no one else. He's been playing it since he was four. My neighbor's and I (and their other cousins) were just sitting there watching him, and he's screaming "die die die!" and waiting for the cars to blow up. Mind you, he's only seven years old. I think that his mind has been corrupted with video games enough.
And those teen magazines. The only one that I really respect and would (and do) actually consider reading is ElleGirl. It's slogan is "dare to be different" and there's a lot of creative things in that magazine. It also frowns upon anorexic celebrities and tells it's readers how unhealthy this all is. All the other magazines just tell the readers how beautiful they are and how they need to be like them.

It's quite sickening actually.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
January 26th, 2006 at 07:02pm
In the days when food was scarce, fat=beautiful.

Now food is more plentiful, and skinny=beautiful. Unfair,slightly odd, and pointless? Certainly.
Baguelle
Baguelle
January 26th, 2006 at 09:38pm
The media effects everything.
Me, on the other hand, there are people I want to be like, but I won't kill to do it.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 27th, 2006 at 02:46pm
i have a difficult time believing SOME of the things in the papers, if i look out my window and see that it is raining then it is raining.
fender
Geek
fender
January 27th, 2006 at 03:35pm
of corse the media is corrupting the minds of the young, that is what the media is for, to teach people from an early age to conform and all be the same. the minority ignor this and rebel the social norms force fed into them from birth. the way we speak, act every thing we do is dictated by the media no one can deny it, music in a way is a form of media. every one here is influenced by that. media is confomity. the majority of us in here are puks, goths, emos, or trendy and think we are punks. because that is the stereo type of the music we lisnten to. no matter how much we try not to conform we conform to the non-conformists. there is no individuality any more every thing has been done and thats down to the media because it teaches us to conform. thats my opnion
fender
Geek
fender
January 27th, 2006 at 03:37pm
and also some people need some thing to follow else they are lost so it helps in that way but in other ways it doesnt allow freedom of expression because it tells you how to be...I SAY FUCK TELEVISION (I VIRTUALLY NEVER WATCH IT....exepet for funny stuff) AND FUCK POP IDOLISM AND BE YOUR FUCKING SLEF AS FAR AS POSSIBLE! you can choose what group you conform to, so at least make your own dicision on that!
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
July 5th, 2006 at 05:24pm
yeah duh
MarioGirl
Geek
MarioGirl
July 5th, 2006 at 05:43pm
To a lot of people of cause it does, just take a lot of green day fans thinking their so f**kin smart cos they smoke dope and muck around at school/other places.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 6th, 2006 at 01:23pm
Yes. It's the fundamental principal of advertising. The question is, are all teenagers dumb enough to listen to them. Unfortunately the answer is that most are.
The Fool On The Hill
Had A Life Before GSB
The Fool On The Hill
July 6th, 2006 at 01:56pm
Its not like this is a new thing. There's always been the media and its always been affecting people.
steady riot.
steady riot.
July 6th, 2006 at 02:02pm
We're exposed to over 3000 ads a day and will spend two years of our lives watching television commercials. Remarkably, many of us believe we're not influenced by advertising...
The ads are selling so much more than products. They're selling image, values, love, sexuality, popularity, and concepts of success, and others. They're telling us who we should be. Sometimes they sell addictions.

Thats taken from an essay in "For blood and empire" lyric booklet.

We don't even notice half the ads now. Flipping through a magazine, we're seeing pictures of half naked women. Whats the promoting? Whats that telling us?
It's all corupting the childrens minds. My cousin who is only 3, plays Grand Theft Auto... and he screams "Die" repeadly. He's going to grow up thinking that sort of thing is acceptable...
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
July 6th, 2006 at 02:21pm
i personally think that (EXAMPLE) GD has had a large effect on young people , they are/were bashing bush and their YOUNGER fans who aren't educated on the topic (of our governmtent , the war) hear that and think BUSH SUCKS !!!11oneoneone
just because billie joe said so
SodasGirl
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
SodasGirl
July 8th, 2006 at 08:33am
The media affects people. There is no denying that. We see the idea of beauty and are being subconciously(sp?) brainwashed. I don't think it's fair to say that people who are extremely affected by the media(people who take steriods, starve themselves, plastic surgery, etc...,)are stupid or are weak.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
July 9th, 2006 at 11:36am
The Media is everything. It exposes you to things and allows you to form views... sometimes. Most times however, it warps the truth so that you will think what is the popular idea at the time and shut out originality.

Age isnt a facotr, it's mentality and your ability to shut out what isnt true and not be sucked into the cycle of lies the media promotes.

Not all media is bad, some of it is Great. Without media, you would have no clue as to what is going on around you. Some kids need to be more exposed to the media then they are.
romantic_nightmare
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
romantic_nightmare
July 12th, 2006 at 08:52pm
I'm 50/50 on this as well.

I mean it depends on the person, some people are easily influenced and will want to become exactly like Paris Hilton, or osme other ditz.

While other kids can be smart and make their own choices in who they want to be or the clothes they wear.
Mellon * Collie
Geek
Mellon * Collie
July 12th, 2006 at 09:21pm
the media corrupts everyone, not just young people. anyone who thinks you have to be thin to be attractive (or anything along those lines), has been corrupted by the media, most of them without even noticing it. along with many other things.

it's not just the media though, but society does it too. like all these "scenes". the punks are corrupted by the punk scene, the emo kids are corrupted by the emo scene, etc.
Kitti
Falling In Love With The Board
Kitti
July 12th, 2006 at 09:57pm
.Geek USA.:
the media corrupts everyone, not just young people. anyone who thinks you have to be thin to be attractive (or anything along those lines), has been corrupted by the media, most of them without even noticing it. along with many other things.

it's not just the media though, but society does it too. like all these "scenes". the punks are corrupted by the punk scene, the emo kids are corrupted by the emo scene, etc.
It's not all corruption.
No matter how bad you see a thing as being, there is always good in it.
Media shows us the world, it's what we see, what we hear, what we're exposed to. Not just TV or radio or magazines. EVERYTHING. This is media, this forum. Art is media. To say "I hate media, it's all bad, corrupting people" is to say that you hate Andy Warhol because his artwork corrupted people, or you hate Louise Gluck because her poetry corrupts people. Media is everything, it affects everyone. Not just a demographic like young people, you're right. But you narrow your definition of "media" too far, then.
Register