Does the Media corrupt young people?

AuthorMessage
Mellon * Collie
Geek
Mellon * Collie
July 12th, 2006 at 11:36pm
Kitti:
.Geek USA.:
the media corrupts everyone, not just young people. anyone who thinks you have to be thin to be attractive (or anything along those lines), has been corrupted by the media, most of them without even noticing it. along with many other things.

it's not just the media though, but society does it too. like all these "scenes". the punks are corrupted by the punk scene, the emo kids are corrupted by the emo scene, etc.
It's not all corruption.
No matter how bad you see a thing as being, there is always good in it.
Media shows us the world, it's what we see, what we hear, what we're exposed to. Not just TV or radio or magazines. EVERYTHING. This is media, this forum. Art is media. To say "I hate media, it's all bad, corrupting people" is to say that you hate Andy Warhol because his artwork corrupted people, or you hate Louise Gluck because her poetry corrupts people. Media is everything, it affects everyone. Not just a demographic like young people, you're right. But you narrow your definition of "media" too far, then.

i dont remember ever saying i hated the media, because i dont. anyone who says that is a dumbass. there are things in the media that corrupt people, but not all of it.

hahaha, have you ever noticed how a ton of punk bands complain about the media and shit in their songs, like "NO! MORE! ME-DI-A!!!", when, in reality, that song in itself is a form of media Laughing
Music to my ears
Idiot
Music to my ears
July 19th, 2006 at 09:39am
yes i think the media has a massive effect on people especially young girls
Mellon * Collie
Geek
Mellon * Collie
July 19th, 2006 at 12:34pm
Music to my ears:

why young girls?
asthenia.
Falling In Love With The Board
asthenia.

Blog
July 19th, 2006 at 10:33pm
Mellon * Collie:
Music to my ears:

why young girls?

it makes them believe that they have to look a certain way, be super-skinny, etc. which i think is the main cause of eating disorders. when they see all these actresses and celebrities on tv they start to believe that they must live up to these celebs and the way they look.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
July 19th, 2006 at 10:34pm
katie's not grey:
Mellon * Collie:
Music to my ears:

why young girls?

it makes them believe that they have to look a certain way, be super-skinny, etc. which i think is the main cause of eating disorders. when they see all these actresses and celebrities on tv they start to believe that they must live up to these celebs and the way they look.
That can't effect boys as well? Do you think you have to be young to have an eating disorder, because you don't. it effects everyone.
Kitti
Falling In Love With The Board
Kitti
July 19th, 2006 at 11:15pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
katie's not grey:
Mellon * Collie:
Music to my ears:

why young girls?

That can't effect boys as well? Do you think you have to be young to have an eating disorder, because you don't. it effects everyone.
Guys can develop eating disorders too. In fact, it's way more common than you'd think. There is equal pressure, on both sexes to look and act a certain way. The media is not the couse, though. It's societal standards, popularized through mass media.
child-heart loser
Geek
child-heart loser
July 20th, 2006 at 10:26am

What I hate is that teenagers are so influenced by what they see on TV or in a magazine or such.
They think that if they act like, say, a certain rapper, they'll be cool.
The media can destroy a person's life, in the sense that somebody could have turned out to be a much better person had they not listened to the media.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
July 20th, 2006 at 10:29am
Lena.:

What I hate is that teenagers are so influenced by what they see on TV or in a magazine or such.
They think that if they act like, say, a certain rapper, they'll be cool.
The media can destroy a person's life, in the sense that somebody could have turned out to be a much better person had they not listened to the media.

The thing is, everything is media. You're media. This section of Gsb is media. Media is everywhere has media, you are influenced by it, the thing is how you're infulenced by it.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
July 20th, 2006 at 01:25pm
katie's not grey:
Mellon * Collie:
Music to my ears:

why young girls?

[b]it makes them believe that they have to look a certain way, be super-skinny, etc. which i think is the main cause of eating disorders. when they see all these actresses and celebrities on tv they start to believe that they must live up to these celebs and the way they look.
[/b]

sod that i look like i want to look, and if nobody likes it then tough on them get lost.
Tahm York
This Board Is My Home
Tahm York

Blog
February 8th, 2008 at 03:27pm
I really think it does. I mean, I'm thinking it depends on the age, because when I was younger, ten, eleven, twelveish, I was guillible and I didn't really follow the concept of "Don't believe everything you read/hear."
Anything that seemed pretty logical was believable to me, and I think the same can go for someone of a younger age, or hell, even an older age.
Barney Stinson
Basket Case
Barney Stinson

Mibba Blog
February 8th, 2008 at 05:24pm
Mellon * Collie:
Music to my ears:

why young girls?

In my opinion, as a young girl who ISN'T the Subject of the media, girls are more bitchy than guys can be. Sure, there are a lot of guys out there that are bitchy too. But, let's face it, girls have hormones as do guys and this is what pisses some people off about the media, they don't know what to do about all the media attention. They have all these different feelings about it and yet they don't know what to do about it. Sure, there's a lot of negativity that can come out of it, such as, body image, low self esteem, acting out in ways that can get them into trouble, drug use etc. This is probably why a lot of young celebrities go to rehab. I.E.> Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan.
Britney Spears is different though....
ithinkyourecute
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
ithinkyourecute
February 10th, 2008 at 01:32pm
I don't think there is anything wrong with it....
if its what you want, go for it.
people are dumb enough to give in, and think it will make them 'popular, pretty, etc'
except I do know this girl... she was the chunky little kid, but she became anorexic. she's now healthy and has a nice body. she was saved before too much effect.

She's really popular and really pretty now
(I find this related)

Anyyyways, no, it doesnt bother me. being fat isnt healthy either.
PaNcAkEs
Jackass
PaNcAkEs

Blog
February 12th, 2008 at 02:14am
yep, tis used to influence people. There are different kinds of people; people who're easily affected, who go along with every trade for they are afraid to be what they are on the inside, or they dont have anything significant on the inside, and thus fake it.
There are the people who mix the trends with who they really are, but still tend to blend in with the masses, or live two different lives.
And last off, the ones who just dont care, who look and do what they want to and dont feel the need to be affected for they affect the ones around them themselves.

The media is overrated, really, with all the yellow stuff and such. Humans are curious, we need to know everything about anything. TBH. math lesson, gotta go.
Barney Stinson
Basket Case
Barney Stinson

Mibba Blog
February 12th, 2008 at 05:52pm
PaNcAkEs:
yep, tis used to influence people. There are different kinds of people; people who're easily affected, who go along with every trade for they are afraid to be what they are on the inside, or they dont have anything significant on the inside, and thus fake it.
There are the people who mix the trends with who they really are, but still tend to blend in with the masses, or live two different lives.
And last off, the ones who just dont care, who look and do what they want to and dont feel the need to be affected for they affect the ones around them themselves.

The media is overrated, really, with all the yellow stuff and such. Humans are curious, we need to know everything about anything. TBH. math lesson, gotta go.
U've got some good points there....

PaNcAkEs, I luv ur signature
Rocker Chic
Rocker Chic

Blog
February 12th, 2008 at 10:42pm
There was a bumper sticker one time that said "Not fooled by the media." I love that. I think that's a quote you kind of need to live by - you can't believe everything you see on television. I'm sounding kind of old right now... no, actually I sound like Billie Joe lmfao
SugarGreen
SugarGreen
February 13th, 2008 at 07:00am
Yes the media corrupts young people with pictures of violent activities and corpses... Its like video game violence all over again...
Addison Dewitt
Addison Dewitt

Blog
February 13th, 2008 at 10:13am
The media only messes with the people who pay attention to it.
Jax.
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
Jax.
February 13th, 2008 at 01:03pm
I dislike how the media portrays all teenagers.

The only teenagers that get media attention are prostitutes/drug users/alcoholics/teenage mums/criminals etc.

Not all of us are like that. Hand

My friend and I were discussing that if we offered to help an older person across the road/with their shopping, they'd probably think that we would mug them or something.

Molly
Maiku's Kind Ghost
Maiku's Kind Ghost

Mibba
February 13th, 2008 at 08:45pm
I've seen in recent years Hollywood try to showcase teen characters who are " off the beaten path" as main characters. I think that's mainly because Emo and Indie music and the (life)styles they promote have permiated the culture to such a degree that having characters with alternative personalites, hobbies, interests and concerns will sell tickets.(not just emo or indie kids either, but the "every teen" as well has had his time in sun too.) Look at Shia LaBeouf's characters in both Disturbia and Transformers or Ellen Page in Juno
Rocker Chic
Rocker Chic

Blog
February 13th, 2008 at 09:23pm
I'd like Hollywood to show teens that are individuals, but aren't knocked up or on house arrest. Rolling Eyes
Register