Stereotypes, social groups & discrimination.

AuthorMessage
LittleMiss
Idiot
LittleMiss
September 4th, 2005 at 05:00am
hi, i'm doing a project at school about different social groups and discrimination.

i would like to know everyone's opinions on different "groups" of people (goths, punks, neds/chavs/preps etc).

in my experience different social groups have never really been able to tolerate each other and i would like to find out why this is.

if you've ever been discriminated or bullied because you are different - or if you are someone who thinks people are "weird" because they are different then i would really appreciate if you gave me all your points of veiw / past experiences with other people.

i hope it was okay to post this here - i dont want to cause any trouble.

thanks! Smile
lloyd dobler
Falling In Love With The Board
lloyd dobler
September 4th, 2005 at 05:02am
Labels aren't nice. But. They help generalise people. Yeah. My two cents.
hail_king_billie
Jackass
hail_king_billie
September 4th, 2005 at 05:03am
LittleMiss:
hi, i'm doing a project at school about different social groups and discrimination.

i would like to know everyone's opinions on different "groups" of people (goths, punks, neds/chavs/preps etc).

in my experience different social groups have never really been able to tolerate each other and i would like to find out why this is.

if you've ever been discriminated or bullied because you are different - or if you are someone who thinks people are "weird" because they are different then i would really appreciate if you gave me all your points of veiw / past experiences with other people.

i hope it was okay to post this here - i dont want to cause any trouble.

thanks! Smile

There been many threads like this...i would say this should be in the speicifie dissucssion... *moves*
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
September 4th, 2005 at 05:03am
Well...a group of ten chavs waited for me outside tesco at lunch time just so they could throw 2 litre bottles of coke at me as I walked back to school...and it was cos I am the red haired goth. Cool
Pretty Like Drugs
King For A Couple Of Days
Pretty Like Drugs
September 4th, 2005 at 05:04am
Flaming Phalanges!:
Well...a group of ten chavs waited for me outside tesco at lunch time just so they could throw 2 litre bottles of coke at me as I walked back to school...and it was cos I am the red haired goth. Cool

to this day i do not know what chavs are Retard
lloyd dobler
lloyd dobler
September 4th, 2005 at 05:04am
Flaming Phalanges!:

There's a red-haired (dyed black) "goth/punk" at my school who likes Good Charlotte. I burnt part of her photocopied "Greenday" poster. Yeah.
The Duck's Nuts
The Duck's Nuts
September 4th, 2005 at 05:05am
1. there are no goths left, they died out many years ago
2. there are no punks left
3. preps are poeple who attend a prepatory/private school
4. neds?

i have been called a goth, twice by my brother, for no real reason, and once again, today, by someone else. i have also been called a punk, twice in a few hours, i almost fell off my chair. it took me a very hard time to stop laughing, so wrong were they
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
Capri's pet rock:
Flaming Phalanges!:

Preps? Townies? That sort of thing? They wear tracksuits and baseball caps and think they're better than toast but they're not. And they judge people on their appearance...
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
Labels were created so people could discriminate. I don't even use labels. I am me, Erica is Erica, Alex is Alex, Beth is Beth, Missy is Missy, etc...,.
Pretty Like Drugs
Pretty Like Drugs
September 4th, 2005 at 05:07am
Flaming Phalanges!:
Capri's pet rock:
Flaming Phalanges!:

Preps? Townies? That sort of thing? They wear tracksuits and baseball caps and think they're better than toast but they're not. And they judge people on their appearance...

oh, preps i know
LittleMiss
Idiot
LittleMiss
September 4th, 2005 at 05:08am
thanks for moving my thread - i was thinking of posting it in here to start with but i wasnt sure.

.Beh - i dont beleive in putting people into groups either, but alot of people do - i'm just here to try and find out why. Smile

Flaming Phalanges! - thats horrible! ive had things like that aswell when i was walking home from school. my friends and i are constantly bullied because we're "different" and all my guy friends have long hair.
punk_in_drublic
Idiot
punk_in_drublic
September 4th, 2005 at 05:09am
i dont discriminate i hate everyone...
expecially the goddamn rap loving sleazy skaters at my school.... bunch of dumbass hicks if you ask me.
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
Why? It's because people feel superior when they can call someone else a "punk" or a "goth" or a "prep" or a "gangsta" for some reason.
lloyd dobler
lloyd dobler
question_everything:
4. neds?

i have been called a goth, twice by my brother, for no real reason, and once again, today, by someone else. i have also been called a punk, twice in a few hours, i almost fell off my chair. it took me a very hard time to stop laughing, so wrong were they

What is a nerd, though? *sighs*

Lol. I had like 5 bracelets on one hand and I'm sitting at a desk and Stefan calls me a punk. o.O; I'm like cracking up and I said "Oh, err YEAH! So fucking punk." yeahh. People are misguided.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
Yes, I am traumatised *sigh* Not really. I went to my head of year and then we threatened to get the police involved and one of them started crying. It was great. Very Happy
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
September 4th, 2005 at 05:10am
That and people are too insecure to be themselves so they need a group.
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
September 4th, 2005 at 05:11am
.Beh:
question_everything:
4. neds?

What is a nerd, though? *sighs*

Lol. I had like 5 bracelets on one hand and I'm sitting at a desk and Stefan calls me a punk. o.O; I'm like cracking up and I said "Oh, err YEAH! So fucking punk." yeahh. People are misguided.

One of my friens sisters said she was turning punk because she had a bunch of bracelets on. Confused Which is really funny 'cause if I had to label Erica, punk would be second to last on the list- right above goth. She's like, the least punk human on earth but apparently bracelets=punk?
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
hello. The thing's not posting! Ok there ya go.
lloyd dobler
lloyd dobler
punk_in_drublic:
i dont discriminate i hate everyone...
expecially the goddamn rap loving sleazy skaters at my school.... bunch of dumbass hicks if you ask me.

Skaters are weird. There's like a group of them at school (yes, am using a label, so sue me) and I was wearing my Bam hoodie that day. And I passed them and this dude on his skateboard starts singing "Sk8r Boi" by LaVigne and I'm like "I DON'T LIKE AVRIL LAVIGNE"...
The Rev
Addict
The Rev
ExtraodinaryGirl:
Labels were created so people could discriminate. I don't even use labels. I am me, Erica is Erica, Alex is Alex, Beth is Beth, Missy is Missy, etc...,.

i would say the same thing.. i don't like it when people label me, so why should i do it to them.. its one of those, treat people how you wanna be treated.. i think you're showing people respect by not labeling them
Register