Stereotypes, social groups & discrimination.

AuthorMessage
greendea
Jackass
greendea
September 11th, 2007 at 05:25pm
YEAH, WHEN THEY SEE A FOREIGN PERSON THEY ALWAYS TRY TO HAVE DISTRUST! AND WHEN THEY TALK ABOUT TEENAGER THEY ALWAYS SY WE HAVE A PROBLEM
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
September 11th, 2007 at 09:11pm
greendea:
YEAH, WHEN THEY SEE A FOREIGN PERSON THEY ALWAYS TRY TO HAVE DISTRUST! AND WHEN THEY TALK ABOUT TEENAGER THEY ALWAYS SY WE HAVE A PROBLEM
Caps abuse. Don
greendea
Jackass
greendea
September 11th, 2007 at 09:13pm
yeah they thinks we're a problem for the society, just because they pretent to have more wisdom
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
September 11th, 2007 at 10:12pm
But sometimes it hard to determine what a person is like based on looks. Many teenagers are somewhat bratty therefore most adults will treat you as if you are [if they don't already know you]

Many people think I'm always pissed off, its just the way my face looks when i'm not thinking/its relaxed. I can't blame them for it.
greendea
Jackass
greendea
September 11th, 2007 at 10:18pm
yeah, they think i hate them just because i don't always smile at them!
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
September 11th, 2007 at 10:26pm
I try to smile especially when people do stare at me [which is also to be expected because of my hair] to show that i'm not mean.

But tbh, its my mother gets the most of it. They look at her like she is an unfit mom. which is total bull.
greendea
Jackass
greendea
September 11th, 2007 at 10:31pm
oh, it's so horrible!
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
September 11th, 2007 at 11:16pm
people seem to think they have to label everyone. If I where black nail polish and eyeliner I will be asked if i'm goth. Then if I where a hoodie anf skinny jeans the next day I will be asked if i'm emo. It's hard for these people to understand I just dress how i want to and I'm not goth if i where dark makeup and that i'm not emo if i where a hoodie and skinny jeans Rolling Eyes

I mean really, if i's cold out i'm gonna where a hoodie beacuase A. they are cozy and B. i like the way they look that dosn't mean i am emo or something it mean I like Hoodies
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
September 11th, 2007 at 11:20pm
BayareatasticPolexia:
people seem to think they have to label everyone. If I where black nail polish and eyeliner I will be asked if i'm goth. Then if I where a hoodie anf skinny jeans the next day I will be asked if i'm emo. It's hard for these people to understand I just dress how i want to and I'm not goth if i where dark makeup and that i'm not emo if i where a hoodie and skinny jeans Rolling Eyes

I mean really, if i's cold out i'm gonna where a hoodie beacuase A. they are cozy and B. i like the way they look that dosn't mean i am emo or something it mean I like Hoodies

ColleenStarship:
But sometimes it hard to determine what a person is like based on looks. Many teenagers are somewhat bratty therefore most adults will treat you as if you are [if they don't already know you]

it applies to social groups aswell.
Misanthropist
Post Whore
Misanthropist
September 12th, 2007 at 06:04am
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:
I hate labels. It's all an excuse to harass people and hate people without getting to know them. Honestly, what's the point? Who cares if someone wears black or pink shirts? Who cares if someone listens to Fall Out Boy and not Usher, or the other way around? People are people.
yeah, but as long as people differentiate from each other there will be friction.
I do think it's silly to judge someone on something like clothes. With music, it's more about personal taste and some people tend to judge with music because it is sort of like a headway into what their personality is...it's wrong, but...music can sometimes tell a lot about the person. idk
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
September 12th, 2007 at 04:54pm
What really bothers me is that these days, people pay more attention to pop culture stereotypes than the kind that violate human rights. And its not right at all. Because in the scheme of things, no one gives a flying fuck what you wear or who you listen to. People are dying and killing because of "big" differences like skin and religion.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
September 12th, 2007 at 09:51pm
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:
Misanthropist:
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:
I hate labels. It's all an excuse to harass people and hate people without getting to know them. Honestly, what's the point? Who cares if someone wears black or pink shirts? Who cares if someone listens to Fall Out Boy and not Usher, or the other way around? People are people.
yeah, but as long as people differentiate from each other there will be friction.
I do think it's silly to judge someone on something like clothes. With music, it's more about personal taste and some people tend to judge with music because it is sort of like a headway into what their personality is...it's wrong, but...music can sometimes tell a lot about the person. idk

Not really, I know people who like Bob Dylan and Peter, Paul, and Mary who support George W. Bush.
I know people who wear gold chains and FuBu clothing who listen to Green Day.
People should be judged on the kind of person they are, not by the music they listen to.

you know that because you got to know them
if you had to choose on someone who listened to Green Day or Wu Tang Clan [assuming GD is your favotie band] in 3 seconds, knowing nothing besides that?

I know plenty of people who would choose based on the music because you assume they have similar interests as you.

ASSUME seems to be a big deal when it comes to stereotyping.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
September 12th, 2007 at 09:54pm
this reminds me of todays TYRA.

they took 10 kids from different places, all with different religions [or lack there of] and moral standards and told them to create a society. They were given cards with different jobs written on them like Theif, Prostitute, Mayor, Homeless Person ect.

One [white] girl immediatly said that she pictures a black person as a thief. They then labeled HER the homeless person because she is over weight. They gave the prostitute to a girl BECAUSE SHE WORE DARK EYELINER. Even after debating they still gave these labels to people because the others believe it was right. [they had to decide amongst themselves obv.]

Then they had to create a flag, some wanted some sort of a religious representation. One girl said "No way!" I don't follow any sort of religion why have it on a flag that represents me? A southern boy mentioned the confederate flag repersenting him, has in southern heritage - not racism. All the black people [including one gay boy] basically jumped down his throat.

I found it very intersting.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
September 12th, 2007 at 10:08pm
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:
ColleenStarship:
this reminds me of todays TYRA.

they took 10 kids from different places, all with different religions [or lack there of] and moral standards and told them to create a society. They were given cards with different jobs written on them like Theif, Prostitute, Mayor, Homeless Person ect.

One [white] girl immediatly said that she pictures a black person as a thief. They then labeled HER the homeless person because she is over weight. They gave the prostitute to a girl BECAUSE SHE WORE DARK EYELINER. Even after debating they still gave these labels to people because the others believe it was right. [they had to decide amongst themselves obv.]

Then they had to create a flag, some wanted some sort of a religious representation. One girl said "No way!" I don't follow any sort of religion why have it on a flag that represents me? A southern boy mentioned the confederate flag repersenting him, has in southern heritage - not racism. All the black people [including one gay boy] basically jumped down his throat.

I found it very intersting.

How old were the kids?

13-17
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
September 12th, 2007 at 10:11pm
~discrimination~

They also had to "marry each other". The claws came out during that too. Mainly because one guy admitted to being gay - which which got the religious people piddling themselves with bible talk. Anyway, the Mayor [the southern guy] was "purposed too" by two girls, the prostitute and the homeless person. He ultimatley chose the prostitue and later admitted that it was because of looks, not their job which he did take into consideration.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
September 12th, 2007 at 10:13pm
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:

Just because you know plenty of people who would do that doesn't mean it's right to judge people based on their taste in music.

In all honesty, I like to get to know people who have different interests than me. If there was no way I could choose both, I would choose the person who likes Wu Tang Clan, even though I don't.

I do not believe that it is okay to label somebody or judge people based on anything but their personality. I pray that won't change.

I'm a vegetarian, and some of my friends are hunters.
I'm not going to refuse to get to know a person or label them because they don't agree with me on everything.

so you wouldn't eve think for a second that someone walking by you in tight jeans, a fashionable hoodie and has long choppy hair extentions was scene and listened to ~some screamo band~?

I HIGHLY doubt it.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
September 12th, 2007 at 10:23pm
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:

Doubt it all you want, I don't judge people based on what they wear. I think it's a dispicable thing to do.

I would DESPISE my two best friends if I judged them on how they dressed and the music they like, and most of the people I REALLY don't get along with would be my best friends.

People are people, not clothes.

BECAUSE YOU GOT TO KNOW THEM.

i hate juding people too, but i do it. if had seen most of my now friends out say in a store i wouldn't automatically assume i would have simialr interests. but because of school [and get this, spending time and get to know them] I learned that they are cool people.

You can't do that for everyone, it would nearly impossible.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
September 12th, 2007 at 10:31pm
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:

Yes. I did. Why are you so defensive over that as if I've denied it? Of course I got to know them, because I get to know people without judging them.

I never said I could get to know everyone.

I'm really confused as to why you're being so defensive and acting like I don't get to know people when I'm the one who says it's wrong to judge people and I don't do it.

Confused Neutral

I get to know people without judging them.
I find it dispicable to judge people based on what they wear.
As I've already said.
I'm not sure why you're being rude and defensive.

i don't feel as if i'm being rude or defensive.
I think just think its crazy to think that you can have an open mind about someone especially if they look a certain way. Of course you can be open minded but you will have a first impression.

Like i was in the pic section, I was looking threw the new pics. i saw one of you [you're v. pretty btw] I noticed that, and your colored hair, and your necklace. Having colored hair myself would of assumed you would be a cool/relateable person had i seen you walking down the street. Your necklace to me shows a somewhat open mind. But after seeing your view point on stereotyping [if this were the only conversation i were to have with you] I have formed a somewhat different opinion.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
September 12th, 2007 at 10:42pm
then i don't like you calling me rude, because i know that i am not.
that was judgmental considering you don't know me that well - only really my opinion about discrimination and the fact that i color my hair Smile
but you're under the imperession that i am.
i can't help that, nor will i try to.
Because i know that people will have a different opinions about me.

mine too. but my hair is so over processed. ;_;
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
September 12th, 2007 at 10:46pm
well me saying that, coming from me, means that you think in some way, that i am rude.
the caps are only to emphasize something.
Register