Are there too many foreigners in our country?

AuthorMessage
TragicCaseofMyReality
King For A Couple Of Days
TragicCaseofMyReality
December 16th, 2006 at 01:18am
Colleen [panda].:
it seems that more and more forgieners are coming to our coutry. I can see why for some but it is almost like Americans are being over run by people from South of the border and the middle and far east

the only thig that bothers me is YOUR IN OUR COUNTRY SPEAK OUR LANGUAGE I know its not that simple but I say if you are coming to this country .......any country to start a new life you should be required to take some sort of class

i agree with the language part- i mean America bends over backwards to make sure most of our signs can be read by most of the bigger foreign languages here but if we go somewhere else we are on our own. they should be given SOME motivation to atleast learn the language of the country they want to live in... i mean seriously... but i also understand that this country was built on the backs of "Foreigners" and that people DO deserve to be able to start a new life, but LEGALLY. NOT BY HOPPING THE BORDER!!!!
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
December 16th, 2006 at 08:17am
[quote="PatronSaintofDenial"]
Colleen [panda].:
it seems that more and more forgieners are coming to our coutry. I can see why for some but it is almost like Americans are being over run by people from South of the border and the middle and far east

the only thig that bothers me is YOUR IN OUR COUNTRY SPEAK OUR LANGUAGE I know its not that simple but I say if you are coming to this country .......any country to start a new life you should be required to take some sort of class

i agree with the language part- i mean America bends over backwards to make sure most of our signs can be read by most of the bigger foreign languages here but if we go somewhere else we are on our own. they should be given SOME motivation to atleast learn the language of the country they want to live in... i mean seriously... but i also understand that this country was built on the backs of "Foreigners" and that people DO deserve to be able to start a new life, but LEGALLY. NOT BY HOPPING THE BORDER!!!![/quote]

i completely agree.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
December 18th, 2006 at 12:40pm
[quote="Colleen [panda]."]
PatronSaintofDenial:
Colleen [panda].:

i agree with the language part- i mean America bends over backwards to make sure most of our signs can be read by most of the bigger foreign languages here but if we go somewhere else we are on our own. they should be given SOME motivation to atleast learn the language of the country they want to live in... i mean seriously... but i also understand that this country was built on the backs of "Foreigners" and that people DO deserve to be able to start a new life, but LEGALLY. NOT BY HOPPING THE BORDER!!!![/quote]

i completely agree.
Why are we only talking about America and Britain? Come on, people live else where as well. So every single foreigner here in Thailand should learn the language, yeah? I mean that's basically what you're saying, if you reside in a country you are required to have some knowledge of the language, right?

I think that's a bit unfair the the Chinese tribes and Isan villagers and the Laos refugees here who have been living here for over fifty years, developing their own dialect. Why can't we have a bit of cultural variety? It won't hurt. There are sooooo mannny bleeding Americans living in this country who don't even know how to say 'hello'. Yet, they get on just fine. English isn't even taught at the public schools here, but it is OK if you don't speak Thai. Everyone still gets along just fine. It shouldn't be a problem, and it isn't.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
December 18th, 2006 at 03:00pm
[quote="Anji"]
Colleen [panda].:
PatronSaintofDenial:
Colleen [panda].:

i completely agree.
Why are we only talking about America and Britain? Come on, people live else where as well. So every single foreigner here in Thailand should learn the language, yeah? I mean that's basically what you're saying, if you reside in a country you are required to have some knowledge of the language, right?

I think that's a bit unfair the the Chinese tribes and Isan villagers and the Laos refugees here who have been living here for over fifty years, developing their own dialect. Why can't we have a bit of cultural variety? It won't hurt. There are sooooo mannny bleeding Americans living in this country who don't even know how to say 'hello'. Yet, they get on just fine. English isn't even taught at the public schools here, but it is OK if you don't speak Thai. Everyone still gets along just fine. It shouldn't be a problem, and it isn't.

i'm over the whol language thing to be honest. T_T

now its the illegal immgrants coming in that bother me.
all i want is for people become legal citizens, it may take a while but i think its right.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
December 18th, 2006 at 07:15pm
Colleen [panda].:
i'm over the whol language thing to be honest. T_T

now its the illegal immgrants coming in that bother me.
all i want is for people become legal citizens, it may take a while but i think its right.

you do understand that most often, illegal immigrants can't become legal citizens?

That they're refugees, running from their own country.. where they can't legally leave?

How can they become legal citizens if they can't legally leave their own country?
TragicCaseofMyReality
TragicCaseofMyReality
December 19th, 2006 at 06:25pm
[quote="Anji"]
Colleen [panda].:
PatronSaintofDenial:
Colleen [panda].:

i completely agree.

I'm lost...where did Thailand come from? anyway-i live in Cali and there is a MAJOR border problem. and i can say without a doubt that YES it is a problem. and people who have lived here for THAT long should know the language.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
December 19th, 2006 at 07:05pm
TragicCaseofMyReality:
I'm lost...where did Thailand come from? anyway-i live in Cali and there is a MAJOR border problem. and i can say without a doubt that YES it is a problem. and people who have lived here for THAT long should know the language.

I'm pretty sure Anji is a Thai Citizen, so obviously thats gonna be a part of this debate. People do only think there is a problem in the US and UK, and that is not true.
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
December 19th, 2006 at 10:41pm
It's not our country anyway. We stole it from the Native Americans. So technically, we "Americans" are the foreigners.
spill_no_sick
Falling In Love With The Board
spill_no_sick
December 19th, 2006 at 11:46pm
shit, there are too many Americans in our country
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
December 20th, 2006 at 05:27am
theres a problem when a police woman gets shot by two men and one of them flee's the country by disguising himself has a muslim wman wearing a veil, we know with that, that we have an immogration problem or we have no proper immogration laws.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
December 22nd, 2006 at 12:47pm
"farners need learn spak gud Aaaaang'ish, shee"
JCJP
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
JCJP
December 23rd, 2006 at 07:44pm
Colleen be osm phoo.:

my school had a huge event on illegal immigration, two weeks of nothing but assemblies listening to famous people that our parents tuition dollars paid to speak about issues they do not know about.

the only speaker who seemed to make sense was an actual illegal immigrant...
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
December 26th, 2006 at 10:27am
Bloodraine:
TragicCaseofMyReality:

I'm pretty sure Anji is a Thai Citizen, so obviously thats gonna be a part of this debate. People do only think there is a problem in the US and UK, and that is not true.
At least you understand.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
December 26th, 2006 at 10:29am
TragicCaseofMyReality:
Anji:
Colleen [panda].:
PatronSaintofDenial:
Colleen [panda].:

i completely agree.

Again, why do you only talk about America? I happen to live in Thailand, and I am Thai. I am also Canadian and a Brit. So no bullshit about, 'Well, what would you know?'
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
December 26th, 2006 at 10:30am
spill_no_sick:
Hahaha, same here.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
December 26th, 2006 at 12:07pm
Anji:
spill_no_sick:
Hahaha, same here.

Well, in India (I know more about India than I ever want to know) there's a lot of white people and black people and asian people coming in because of jobs and stuff. And let me say this: despite British domination 50 years ago, most of the population is not fluent in English.

So. is it our problem? Does every Indian have to learn English to accomodate the foreigners? We have 16 languages. Hindi, Telugu, Oriya, Panjabi, Gujarati, Assamese, Urdu, Kannada, Tamil, Malayali, and 7 more that I do not remember. So do the non English-speaking Indians have to learn English?

They shouldn't have to. There are families that moved here from China or wherever and have been living here for generations and sometimes, only a year or two and have managed to learn Hindi. So why can't the others?

Wherever you go, you should have some basic knowledge of the local language. Enough to order coffee and ask where the bathroom is.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
December 26th, 2006 at 05:13pm
lyrical_gaah52:
They shouldn't have to. There are families that moved here from China or wherever and have been living here for generations and sometimes, only a year or two and have managed to learn Hindi. So why can't the others?

I'll tell you why.

I took up this issue with a friend of mine who doesn't speak english as a mother tongue, and I have been assured that English is a very easy language to learn. I was also told that I was unlucky, because all other languages are much harder for me to become fluent in (being a native English speaker). I've had it easy all my life, in essence.

So; some languages are much harder than others. Perhaps Chinese is very complex, and that is why learning Hindi is easier for them. Unlike an English speaker, who is accustomed to a simple language.

Then again it totally depends upon the person; in school I found spanish much easier than french, although I presume they are about the same.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
December 27th, 2006 at 01:01am
...English is a simple language? Darling, I've been speaking English since I started school (grew up in NJ) and its simple to you and me, but let me tell you, English is one of the most complicated languages. English isn't my mother tongue either, but I speak fluently and correctly because of where I lived. Take up the issue with some more people. You'll find quite a different answer. Hindi, which isn't my mother tongue either and is difficult for me, actually has simpler grammar rules. Well, its more or less the same.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
December 27th, 2006 at 06:16am
lyrical_gaah52:
...English is a simple language? Darling, I've been speaking English since I started school (grew up in NJ) and its simple to you and me, but let me tell you, English is one of the most complicated languages. English isn't my mother tongue either, but I speak fluently and correctly because of where I lived. Take up the issue with some more people. You'll find quite a different answer. Hindi, which isn't my mother tongue either and is difficult for me, actually has simpler grammar rules. Well, its more or less the same.

Patronize me again and I'll have blood on my teeth, honey. File

Since my learned friend who taught me all about the wonders of my easy language, we'll take another language and study it a bit. Ok, so we'll look at an easy language like Croatian in contrast with the difficult English.
Croatian alphabet has 30 letters in juxtaposition with the English 26.

How about we look at some grammar?
http://www2.bc.edu/~niebuhro/crogrammar.htm
Now... you were saying... English... Difficult?

What about Cases? The English language has three. The three cases in modern English are subjective (he), objective (him) and possessive (his). In Croatian, they have seven.

Now we'll examine verb conjugation. I've added a third language in, just for comparison. Take the verb "to work"

English
I work
You work
He/She/It works
We work
You (pl) work
They work

In English, the stem is unchanging. Look at how basic it is.

Spanish
I work: Trabajo
You work: Trabajas
He/she/it: Trabaja
We work: Trabajamos
You work: Trabajáis
They work: Trabajan

Spanish is harder..Now..

Croatian
I work - Ja radim
You work - Ti radiš
He/She/It works - On/Ona/Ono radi
We work - Mi radimo
You work - Vi radite
They work - Oni rade

Now.. I really think that is a little bit harder than English.

And since you wanted me to ask more people, I went to another thread and borrowed some external opinions on English.
I_worship_tre_Cool:
every person on GSB who learned english as a second language said it was extremely easy.

Make you Smile.:
I think it's very easy..
Different Perspective:
No, I think it's easy. I've been learning Italian for 8 years and I'm not as half good as in English, which I've been learining for 4 years. I don't want to say that I'm not good in Italian, I want to say English is really easy.

Do you still wanna say English is difficult? Mr. Green
I'll give you a safety net.
Bloodraine:
Then again it totally depends upon the person.
Maybe you should read my whole post next time, it might do you good.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
December 27th, 2006 at 06:51am
Really, now. That was just bait. I never said it was difficult, my dear. I just said that it was one of the more complicated languages in the world. And it is. And I actually found Spanish grammar to be quite easy. Not fluent, but I know enough to speak simple sentences. If I have to work in a Spanish country, I'll be able to communicate on a basic level. BTW, the Telugu alphabet has 56 letters. 19 vowels and 37 consonents. Hindi has about 30 letters as well. But that doesn't make it more complicated.

And yes, it does depend upon the person. I take fault for not reading the last line of your post. Also, many of the people on GSB live in European countries or countries that speak a European language. And Chinese cannot be compared to most languages because it is a tonal language. Fun fact: that's actually why a lot of Chinese children are good at music.
Register