Ana/Mia websites

AuthorMessage
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
King For A Couple Of Days
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
November 6th, 2005 at 09:28am
I don't know if anyone's heard, but there's these sick websites that promote anorexia, with two people called ANA and MIA (ANArexia ; buluMIA) who pretend to love you and give you "thinspiration" and use pictures of fat people to say "this is what you'll look like if you eat". and stuff.

It's really sick, and if you search on yahoo!, you'll find hundreds of the pro ANA/MIA websites, including Xangas etc.

One sufferer's Xanga records her daily intake, and on the latest entry, all she ate was some popcorn. Someone then comments and says "too bad about the popcorn, you'll do better tomorrow."

They also have little slogans like "thinner is the winner!" and it's also become sorta like a religion, with ANA/MIA bracelets and prayers to the god ANA asking her to make them thinner.

Anyone else think this is beyond sick?
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
November 6th, 2005 at 10:36am
Buttermilk Rusk:
I don't know if anyone's heard, but there's these sick websites that promote anorexia, with two people called ANA and MIA (ANArexia ; buluMIA) who pretend to love you and give you "thinspiration" and use pictures of fat people to say "this is what you'll look like if you eat". and stuff.

It's really sick, and if you search on yahoo!, you'll find hundreds of the pro ANA/MIA websites, including Xangas etc.

One sufferer's Xanga records her daily intake, and on the latest entry, all she ate was some popcorn. Someone then comments and says "too bad about the popcorn, you'll do better tomorrow."

They also have little slogans like "thinner is the winner!" and it's also become sorta like a religion, with ANA/MIA bracelets and prayers to the god ANA asking her to make them thinner.

Thats disgusting. Its exploting people who are insecure about their body images, and at what cost?. Whoever makes these websites needs to realise Anorexia and Bullimia are very very serious conditions, and people die from them.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
November 6th, 2005 at 10:50am
My point exactly. These people are beyond sadistic; they're maniacs.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
November 6th, 2005 at 10:53am
Buttermilk Rusk:
My point exactly. These people are beyond sadistic; they're maniacs.

I just found one of the websites, it was disgusting. There were girls talking about how they were going on 'water diets' and other girls congratulating them etc. Its almost macabre

http://www.yafro.com/clubs/proanamia
BehindBlueEyes
Jackass
BehindBlueEyes
November 6th, 2005 at 10:55am
Buttermilk Rusk:

why would somene do that? Thats taking advantage of an insecure person and sending them down in a downwards spiral! Dont they know how many people die from eating disorders? theyre killing people! That should be illegal theyre kinda like murdering innocent people who need help Mad Confused
howd you come accross this?? its disgusting!
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
November 6th, 2005 at 10:57am
Oh, and i forgot to add, this is a quote if found particulary sickening from one of these websites
Alright. So I ate like a normal person today. Sick.
I got the new "Star" magazine. Hillary Duff looks great at 5'4" and 95 lbs. I'm not eating tomorrow, just to make up for eating today. Chicken granules in hot water is great. So filling! I need to be at 110 by New York trip.

I'm not even weighing myself until tomorrow night.
BehindBlueEyes
Jackass
BehindBlueEyes
November 6th, 2005 at 11:00am
bloodraine:
Oh, and i forgot to add, this is a quote if found particulary sickening from one of these websites
Alright. So I ate like a normal person today. Sick.
I got the new "Star" magazine. Hillary Duff looks great at 5'4" and 95 lbs. I'm not eating tomorrow, just to make up for eating today. Chicken granules in hot water is great. So filling! I need to be at 110 by New York trip.

I'm not even weighing myself until tomorrow night.

95 pounds?? is that possible. Im 13 about 5'2 5'3 and I weigh about 9 stone!! is she anorexic?
comfortably confused
Falling In Love With The Board
comfortably confused
November 6th, 2005 at 11:14am
You know you all sit there and call it sick but people go there to get away from people like you. I used to go on them all the time, they are there for security and comfort. Yes okay they are wrong but they do also make you feel better.

You say
"Whoever makes these websites needs to realise Anorexia and Bullimia are very very serious conditions, and people die from them"

The people who make them have the conditions, they know what they are doing.

Now I realise they are wrong (became really ill with anorexia but I'm now in recovery) You'll find that they all state that you don't have to go on them if you don't have an ED or you are in recovery. They also (about 95% of them) have links to recovery sites. They don't think ED sites are right they are there to help.

I can't believe you can all be so insensitive to people with problems.
BehindBlueEyes
Jackass
BehindBlueEyes
November 6th, 2005 at 11:21am
comfortably confused:
You know you all sit there and call it sick but people go there to get away from people like you. I used to go on them all the time, they are there for security and comfort. Yes okay they are wrong but they do also make you feel better.

You say
"Whoever makes these websites needs to realise Anorexia and Bullimia are very very serious conditions, and people die from them"

Now I realise they are wrong (became really ill with anorexia but I'm now in recovery) You'll find that they all state that you don't have to go on them if you don't have an ED or you are in recovery. They also (about 95% of them) have links to recovery sites. They don't think ED sites are right they are there to help.

i'M truly sorry if i offended you in any shape, way or form I didnt mean to.
I just dont think its right to encourage it. I think Im fat and I hate wearing skirts and tight tops cos theyre unflattering but i still love myself. Im 9 stone, thats not evxactly light but id never consider anorexia. I dont think its healthy to look at it in a good way. Sorry again if i offeneded you, i truly didnt mean to Wink
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
November 6th, 2005 at 11:26am
comfortably confused:

You say

Well, call me insensetive and brash if you must, but i find it hard to advocate websites that encourage stuff like this. And how exactly is it a help or a comfort?. Its like a competition. I think getting medical help and getting over the condition would be much more comforting.
GangControl
Jackass
GangControl
November 6th, 2005 at 11:30am
Its not right for you to call it sick. At all. Sure its horrible, but at the end of the day you can't call people sick because they are suffering, ill and hurting. It probably wouldn't happen on such a grand scale if there weren't comments like that made. I've never suffered from an eating disorder, so i'm not going to say that i understand at all, but whenever you feel bad about yourself you need comfort and support, espeically if you're in a state like that. I can see that its not helping the peoples conditions at all, but not trying to empathize isn't helping them either. Obviously the site makers are suffering too and also need help. How about you try and help instead of judging so fast?

I think its sick that you've been so insensitive.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
November 6th, 2005 at 11:32am
comfortably confused:

You say

I'm not being insensitive to the people with the problem, I'm being concerned about them.

What is wrong with people to make them encourage people to starve themselves to death?

Comfort is showing someone empathy.

this is telling thme that they're not thin enough, and the fact that you're standing up for these weirdos just goes to show that you're hypnotized by them.

No matter what you say, this is wrong.
comfortably confused
comfortably confused
November 6th, 2005 at 11:32am
bloodraine:
comfortably confused:

You say

Well, call me insensetive and brash if you must, but i find it hard to advocate websites that encourage stuff like this. And how exactly is it a help or a comfort?. Its like a competition. I think getting medical help and getting over the condition would be much more comforting.
The medical thing is right... really but this is more of a mental issue, people who are obsessive complulssive... like people are with cleaning or something this is them being it over weight.
I'm sorry but for someone who has never experianced it (I'm guessing... from the sounds of it you haven't) you wouldn't know what it's like to find people going through the same thing, talking to someone who doesn't lecture you over something that you know is wrong.
Recovery is NOT easy... this is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I don't sposse you cry everytime to take a mouthful of something then feel so much guilt after. Everything about it is hard. I dont think they are right... anymore. I still don't see them as 'sick' though. There are elements of comfort in there, when they go on there (message boards) they don't get attacked like you all seem to be doing.
BehindBlueEyes
Jackass
BehindBlueEyes
November 6th, 2005 at 11:33am
GangControl:
Its not right for you to call it sick. At all. Sure its horrible, but at the end of the day you can't call people sick because they are suffering, ill and hurting. It probably wouldn't happen on such a grand scale if there weren't comments like that made. I've never suffered from an eating disorder, so i'm not going to say that i understand at all, but whenever you feel bad about yourself you need comfort and support, espeically if you're in a state like that. I can see that its not helping the peoples conditions at all, but not trying to empathize isn't helping them either. Obviously the site makers are suffering too and also need help. How about you try and help instead of judging so fast?

i didnt say the people who were suffering were sick at all!! the websites encouraging them I think are wrong. The people just need help.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
November 6th, 2005 at 11:34am
Fade2Black:
GangControl:

i didnt say the people who were suffering were sick at all!! the websites encouraging them I think are wrong. The people just need help.

Amen to that. The people themselves aren't sick, the websites who encourage them are.
comfortably confused
comfortably confused
November 6th, 2005 at 11:34am
Buttermilk Rusk:
comfortably confused:

You say

I'm not being insensitive to the people with the problem, I'm being concerned about them.

What is wrong with people to make them encourage people to starve themselves to death?

Comfort is showing someone empathy.

this is telling thme that they're not thin enough, and the fact that you're standing up for these weirdos just goes to show that you're hypnotized by them.

No matter what you say, this is wrong.
I'm not standing up for them... no where in my post did I say it was right. I just said that you were being insenstive. How the hell and I hypnotized by them when I have said I am doing my best to get better, it's people like you that don't help. I know it's wrong but I hate that you all call it sick.

I've explained myself in the post to bloodraine about it being in the mind.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
November 6th, 2005 at 11:36am
GangControl:

CORRECTION!!!

NO ONE (well, not me, anyway) is saying the sufferers are sick; they are aptly labelling the people who encourage this as sick.
BehindBlueEyes
Jackass
BehindBlueEyes
November 6th, 2005 at 11:36am
bloodraine:
Fade2Black:
GangControl:

Amen to that. The people themselves aren't sick, the websites who encourage them are.

damn straight Cool
comfortably confused
comfortably confused
November 6th, 2005 at 11:38am
There are also alot of warnings on these sites, I know it doesn't help much but it let's people know what they are doing to themselves.
BehindBlueEyes
Jackass
BehindBlueEyes
November 6th, 2005 at 11:38am
comfortably confused:

You say

I dont think im being unsensitive. I appolagised to you if I did offend you, but im not saying the people are in the wrong or are sick, the websites are. Wink
Register