Is today's world getting too violent?

AuthorMessage
Domo
Geek
Domo
July 9th, 2007 at 04:20am
I think that todays world is the same as it has always been.
But the law makes it harder to punish those who do commit a crime.
Such as repeat rapists. Repeat offenders.
What happens to them when they offen again?
They go back to the prison. Free room and board.
But I am in no way saying that prison is easy. I know it has it's horrible, nasty, outright SICK aspects.
So don't shoot me down for saying that.
-throws hands up-
anti social
Jackass
anti social
July 14th, 2007 at 09:14pm
I'm going to quote Johnny from Johnny The Homicidal Maniac, because I think what he says makes a lot of sense and really fits this topic. I don't know if this has already been posted before but if it has, feel free to delete this [since i'm too lazy to figure out of this was posted already or not]. Some survey guy interviewed Johnny about violence and these are his answers:

"The violent crimes? All perfectly natural in a society whose advances are limited to its technology. The basic behavior of the modern human is hardly different from that of its primitive ancestors. The only noticeable changes are trends. Whether in a suit, or in a loincloth, people are ignorant little thorns, cutting into once another. They seem incapable of advancing beyond the violent tendencies which, at one time, were necessary for survival.

As for protecting the people, well that's a bit of a paradox - at least from what I know. I'm sure that if you searched into the lives of some of these victims, you would find out that they, themselves were the cause of their very deaths. In those cases, the so called "victim", at some earlier time, played some part in the creation of their "killer". I believe that the life ended was ended for the fact that it was wasted on something that would never evolve beyond the childish cruelty so many never cast off."

"Sure. Mm...so what do you think of the idea that violence on television and other media, have a negative effect on kids and other impressionable minds?"

"Ooh.. any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, TV, music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!"

So anyway, I think that the world isn't getting any more violent. The violence has always been there since the start of civilization, whether it was beating up slaves, burning witches, or medieval torture devices. It's the technology that's changed that has also caused the evolution of violence, now with guns, bombs, and stuff like that. Yeah people can try to prevent violence but I don't think violence will ever be completely gone.
Register