Do you think talking online is as dangerous as people think

AuthorMessage
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
September 1st, 2009 at 12:27am
No! My mom was asking me all these questions about Zoe and it pissed me off. I KNOW Zoe is not a creeper. Infact, none of my internet friends (besides Chad) have ever been creepers. '

Chat rooms are a different story. I talk on message boards though.
Daydream-believer
Jackass
Daydream-believer
September 13th, 2009 at 07:20am
if you agree to meet up with someone who you have talked to on the internet then you dont have any common sence. i hate sites like omegle they creep me out
Angelic Fruitcake
Falling In Love With The Board
Angelic Fruitcake
September 13th, 2009 at 10:10am
^ Common sense, exactly.

Talking online is really only dangerous if you don't have much of it.

I would (and have) only met people in person that I first met on the internet after talking to them for ages, seeing them on webcam a few times or speaking to them on the phone.

If any nutjobs start speaking to you for whatever reason and you feel uncomfortable, you stop speaking to them. (:

Use your anti-virus and your brain and it's all good.
ImNotStoned
Geek
ImNotStoned
September 13th, 2009 at 07:41pm
It depends what site, and how safe it is
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 14th, 2009 at 02:52pm
There really isn't a yes or no answer to this, because it changes so much from person to person.

I don't even really agree that it depends on the site- I mean, unless there are sites that have zero security and anybody can see the personal information used by others when registering, but I've never heard of that.

It's dangerous if people are stupid about it. I have seen people who have in their about me on MySpace "Hi my name is Jessica White I'm 16 years old I live in Anytown, Arizona and go to Anytown High. I play softball for my high school's team," etc..., that's when it becomes dangerous, when people don't know how to protect themselves. And way too many people are willing to call somebody a "victim" when they put that information out there or they put naked pictures of themselves online. Very rarely can the person who is being attacked/harassed/whatever share any of the blame, but in these cases, they are not 100% victims.

If you really feel the need to meet up with somebody you've met online, do so in a public place and don't go alone. No matter how well you think you know the person.
Squid.
King For A Couple Of Days
Squid.

Blog
September 14th, 2009 at 06:50pm
I have to say that I pretty much agree all the way with what iViva la Andrea! has said.

If people were just smart about how they talk to people, and who.
And how they protect theirselfs, and all.
And, even as she brought up, meeting.
Barney Stinson
Basket Case
Barney Stinson

Mibba Blog
October 14th, 2009 at 08:58pm
As you know what you're doing and are careful about what you say...
I don't know... my parents aren't huge fans of me being on GSB and Mibba.. but obviously I've ignored their complaints.. they just tell me not to give out my phone number and exact location and full name and stuff... just play it safe.. That's kind of why I've sort of never posted pictures of myself.. no offense, but I don't know everybody on here personally..
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
October 15th, 2009 at 05:17pm
I have only ever uploaded pictures to myspace.
And it's private and all that good stuff..
So I am not worried.

I would not put them on here though,
OH no.
BasketCaseKatie.
Geek
BasketCaseKatie.
November 1st, 2009 at 08:45am
I don't think talking to people online is dangerous,
I mean - chat rooms. MUCH more dangerous, and probably full of creeps Neutral
But whats the harm in talking to someone?
If you ever wanted to meet someone that you'd met on the internet though, I'd agree with Angelic Fruitcake - talk to them on the phone, get pictures, see them on webcam so you knew what they looked like - oh and meet them in a public place with a friend or something Smile
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
November 3rd, 2009 at 11:24am
Daydream-believer:
if you agree to meet up with someone who you have talked to on the internet then you dont have any common sence. i hate sites like omegle they creep me out

I met my best friend on the internet four and a half years ago. We saw each other almost every day before we went to uni, and even 200 miles can't stop us - we're going to see 3OH!3 tonight.

Just because you meet someone it doesn't mean you have no common sense, you just have to use your common sense to decide whether meeting someone is the right thing to do.
Aliiiiii.
Aliiiiii.
November 3rd, 2009 at 02:10pm
I think it's only as dangerous as you make it... as long as people use common sense I think it's fine.

Age is probably a factor - most of the time, younger kids don't have as much common sense. However, I'm not saying that all younger teenagers are stupid and don't know how to keep safe!

I met my best friend online too Mr. Green We've always lived at opposite ends of the country, until recently - she just moved up near me to go to university and now we get to hang out all the time. Which is tons better than texting lots!

So, I think it depends. Very clear, I know!
Willow
Geek
Willow
November 6th, 2009 at 08:58pm
it's only dangerous if you're stupid, although a good alarm system can go a long ways no matter how careful you are or think you are....
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
November 6th, 2009 at 11:11pm
What do you mean by alarm system?
XxWistfulxX
Jackass
XxWistfulxX
November 19th, 2009 at 08:02am
depends on wether youre an idiot or now Laughing Laughing
no seriously it depends i wouldnt make a bebo/twitter/facebook page or whatever for myself its a bit pointless
but i would make one for a band/football team etc Smile
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
November 19th, 2009 at 03:41pm
I think it's okay if you know when it gets a bit weird...
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
November 21st, 2009 at 09:39am
I think it depends on the situation.
Like GSB for example. I'm pretty sure that there aren't any 40 year old men on here.
Random chat rooms, thats another story.
All the same, I don't go telling personal stuff to anyone online, and don't accept random adds on facebook, even if they claim we have a mutual friend or something. Like if I dont actually know the person, I don't care who we have in common, whats the point of being friends?
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
November 21st, 2009 at 11:35am
Eric Foreman:
I think it depends on the situation.
Like GSB for example. I'm pretty sure that there aren't any 40 year old men on here.
Random chat rooms, thats another story.
All the same, I don't go telling personal stuff to anyone online, and don't accept random adds on facebook, even if they claim we have a mutual friend or something. Like if I dont actually know the person, I don't care who we have in common, whats the point of being friends?

Thiiiis,
also be wary of people who you don't get on with adding you on social networking websites, because they will then have access to all your personal information.
Mark Darcy
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Mark Darcy

Blog
November 21st, 2009 at 12:08pm
I think it totally depends on where you are. Some places just scream danger.

Places like Myspace, Facebook, Bebo, Twitter and all those other socializing websites, are just the perfect target website for perverts. People like to have lots of friends added in these places, but do you really know all the people you're adding? Some people just add people because they like the same music, and once they're added to the friends list, they don't talk to time. Now that strange person has complete access to all of your pictures and information about yourself.

It's a game of chance really, you need to determine for yourself who you can and cannot trust.
Love
Love

Mibba Blog
November 21st, 2009 at 04:27pm
I think it depends on how far "talking" goes. You should always be careful and not give out any private information concerning your location, your full name, telephone etc...anything that could allow people to find you if they wanted.
All of these popular comminity websites (myspace, facebook, twitter etc) are full of fakes and perverts. Don't meet up until you have certain prof they're not fake...and even if you know they aren't fake you still don't know if their mind is fake. But that's up to you and your common sense to decide.

All in all, I think it's okay to chat, just be a little careful and use your brain then you'll be fine
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
November 21st, 2009 at 11:14pm
Even if you add all these people on myspace.
You can just not have your real location, or a location at all,
Or a fake age, ect.

Then again, so can a perv.
Register