Same sex marriages!

AuthorMessage
dysLEXIa
King For A Couple Of Days
dysLEXIa
August 30th, 2009 at 01:37pm
My two cents:

I was once a full Christian (currently Agnostic), so I understand the points of view from the religious side. I understand that it's in the bible, marriage is a religious ceremony, etc, etc.

But honestly, the bible was written in times that were 200% different from what they are now. The Bible also says that women are inferior. Times have CHANGED. If there are "true" Christians that still practice this because it is said in the Bible, people would revolt because times have changed.

So who knows, perhaps times have changed with this too. Why not let them get married? Is it because of your outdated Bible beliefs?

I understand your point with it, again, but if it's not affecting you, then WHY NOT? I'm not bi, I'm not lesbian, I don't reallly like SEEING it to tell you the truth (100% for them, just a little awkward when I see them physical), but it's not affecting me or hurting me any if we allow them to marry.

And the arguement of "ruining the sanctity of marriage" is bullshit. (sorry)
All I'm saying is to look at the stats. In these times there is a 50% marriage success rate, so what sanctity is that?? Let's raise the statistics :]

[/two cents]
emmers_91
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
emmers_91
September 11th, 2009 at 05:16pm
i dont understand why they wont let homosexuals marry

someone told me its because its a religious ceremony and that if they get marry, its chaotic and will be crazy

but what i dont understand is, why suppress love for everyone?
and how would their wedding be chaotic??

isn't it chaotic that millions of drunk people get married for "fun"?

if you ask me, thats not ceremonial...and thats the 50% of people that divorce a year

if you let everyone marry who they want to they divorce rate could be a lot lower

just saying
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 11th, 2009 at 10:04pm
CopperheaD:
absoultely, but i thought that marraige was based around god and taking vows infront of a preist and getting married in a church. But being gay is apparently unsupported in the church where marraige is spawned so why would gay people want to get married? It's naiive to think that gay marraige would be a step forward when its really bending the rules. I have nothing against gay relationships but marraige has already been spoiled by society with divorce so why do we need gay marriage? I am christian but please don't think it impaires my ability to see another person's point of view.

If we're talking about what marriage is based around, everything that marriage is today should be banned. Marriage is based around exchange of property between a father and a suitor. In Biblical times, men married off their teenage daughters to whichever man offered the best price. So by outlawing prostitution and allowing women the right to choose who they marry, we are "bending the rules." By allowing women rights in their marriages, we are "bending the rules." By allowing divorce, we are "bending the rules." If you want to fight for Biblical, traditional marriages, recognize what that means. Prostitution, polygamy, zero rights for women. What marriage is based around is shallow desire for more land or farm animals. What traditional marriage is, is slavery. Women were slaves to their husbands.

I fail to see this logic: marriage has been ruined by divorce, so we shouldn't let more people get married.
Doh
So, wait. Allowing two people who love each other and are committed to each other to marry each other will destroy the sanctity of marriage because too many couples got married too young and are now divorcing? I don't get it.

We "need" gay marriage for many reasons. First of all, we claim to honor equality and human rights. By denying people equal rights because of their sexuality, we give up our right to brag about that. Second, marriage is good for society. If we want to discuss "need," let's look at the benefits of ANY marriage- heterosexual or not.
Economically speaking, marriage is good. It's impossible to know how much money goes in to the average wedding, but there IS money going into the system, always. Even with couples who elope, there are still fees involved. Allowing same sex marriage would open up an entire new group of "customers" (that's not really the right word, sorry, eh) for wedding planners, clothing designers who design wedding clothes, DJs, bands, florists, clergy people or justices of the peace, etc..., Anyone who works on a wedding receives pay. Same sex marriage is just good for the economy.
Not to mention, the Constitution (not sure if you live in the U.S. or not) guarantees equal rights to all. So before the Supreme Court can enforce the Constitution, they need to make sure our laws follow the Constitution. States that deny same-sex marriages are going against the Constitution.
Statistics also show that men and women who are married live longer, healthier, happier lives. It seems slightly cruel to deny somebody that because of their sexual orientation.

Almost every culture in the world has already said that it is good and essential to alter the old beliefs and "rules" to keep up with the times. Why is same-sex marriage so different from interracial marriage (I'll have to find something I wrote up a few months ago on the similarities in these two debates) or marriage where the woman was bought? Why should those rules be changed but not this one?
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
September 11th, 2009 at 11:47pm
I think that christians get a bad name, really.
Not all of them are all anti-gay's.
But some are, and it's the bible, or it's not.
I just don't really know.

Can't say much of anything,
Other then I just can't understand why,
I mean, really, why can't they just get married?
I don't see how it's different at all from a man and a women...
I really...just can't grasp it.
I think, if a man and man, women and women, can't marry,
Then man-women shouldn't be aloud either.
It's like blacks not being aloud to vote from way back when.
We want equal,
But it's not equal,
That's why that brown girl got to go to the all white school.
The SC found it un-equal,
But now, in 2009 of all years,
We are saying this is equal?
Yeah, rightt...
It's pathetic...
And I am sorry that they can't.
They're just human.
Daydream-believer
Jackass
Daydream-believer
November 23rd, 2009 at 11:10am
my 2nd cousin is gay and now happily married. they really want children but they said that the social workers and people who do the adoptions are treating them differently. i think thats really wrong because its just the same in my opinion- the child will have 2 parents who love them.
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
November 23rd, 2009 at 11:50pm
^ Agreed.

Talk. About. Discrimination. Eh?
BasketCase056
Geek
BasketCase056
July 4th, 2010 at 12:27am
I'm all for gay rights. Everyone in the LGBT community are living, breathing human biengs with people and pets that love them and care about them, just like everybody else does. I don't see why it should matter what they prefert as far as their love life goes.
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
July 9th, 2010 at 11:39am
My old teacher is a lesbian, and very religious.
I mean, it's not like one of them rules the other one out.
So I think that if she met the right woman and wanted to marry her in a church, because it's important to them, then why the hell not?

but I guess that's easy for me to say.. I'm pretty sure Denmark was the first country to allow gay marriage (civil partnership, excuse me...)*

with that said, it's legal here, to get civil partnershipped (lol) at any courthouse, and if your church of choice wants to marry you, then you can. Not all priests here do, but a lot of them do.

*link:Axel and Eigil Axgil
Dana.
This Board Is My Home
Dana.

Blog
July 15th, 2010 at 09:54pm
I think same sex marriages should be allowed. Who are we to deny same sex couples the right to proclaim their love the same way a "normal" couple can?
Batfreak
Batfreak

Blog
July 20th, 2010 at 10:37am
^^Exactly

I kinda don't get why people really make such a big deal out of it. It doesn''t matter if a girl likes a girl or the same with guys. Hello, why did they make gay bars? Retoricle stupid question...don't answer that. Anyways, back on my point...gay marriages are no different than a regular one, 'cause it's two people the love each other getting married. Wow, that's nothing that bad. And it's mostly the government that's deciding these things. So if they don't like the idea, no one can...thats bs, dude. It's especially bad for males...they get the most shit on them about it then females. Ugh, I keep losing my train of thought...okay...people: There's nothing wrong with same sex marriages or relationships! And with the adopting children thing on the very first post, that's somewhat understandable. The person probably doesn't want to be in a position explaining he's homosexual. That's kinda "okay, that makes some sense." Maybe he doesn't want people to give him shit about his parents being the same sex.

I put I was bisexual on my Myspace profile and my cousin seen it and made a HUGE deal about it and said she never wanted to see me again or talk to me. I took a picture kissing a girl just to proove to these guys there's nothing wrong with homosexuals, and my cousin's dad seen it and made a big deal about it to my mom and y'know what my mom said? "I've already seen the picture and I don't care if my kid is gay or bisexual." That is what I like people to say about same sex relationships. And half the time all I hear at my school (not here, back in Oakland) is shit. The school here in Minnesota I'm going to, like majority of the school is bisexual...no one gets shit.

So my all out point is yeah, same sex marriages are fine! Nothing's wrong with them.
(Sheesh, I've never posted so much in a thread...)
Batman.
Falling In Love With The Board
Batman.
July 23rd, 2010 at 11:57am
I think it's completely propsterous that gay people can't get married (in some states). They love each other and it's pretty much discrimination if you tell them they can't get married.
STATE OF MIND
Banned
STATE OF MIND
August 12th, 2010 at 07:02pm
one day Christianity will say it is ok to be gay. They change with the times, just look at history. The church needs to keep the people happy
Register