Prejudice towards Christians

AuthorMessage
Brendon Urie..
King For A Couple Of Days
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
March 16th, 2007 at 04:07pm
A religion is a set of beliefs and practices generally held by a human community, involving adherence to codified beliefs and rituals and study of ancestral or cultural traditions and mythology, as well as personal faith and mystic experience.
What beliefs and practices can a religion that doesn't have a set of beliefs possess?

a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects

a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices

I have nothing against Athiesm, so don't tell me I do.
My mother and my brother are both Athiests, even though my brother also believes in Pansperia [sp?].
I just don't believe it's a religion.
I believe religion involves faith.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
March 16th, 2007 at 06:28pm
I never thought that athiesm was a religion, I thought atheism was the absence of religion Shifty
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 16th, 2007 at 06:51pm
druscilla; callmedru:

I believe religion involves faith.

define faith.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 16th, 2007 at 06:59pm
Dr. Cuddy:
I agree with you. I think that Christians don't consider Atheism as a religion and thats why they tend to dislike it most of the time. I have studied about Atheism in Religion class and in Geography and I was given different meanings of it in each class. In Religion class I was taught that Atheists are non-believers, but in Geography I was told that they aren't non-believers, just that they don't believe in God. I know this sounds messed up, I cant explain it really, but to put it simple, our Geography teacher said it was a religion and our Religion teacher said it wasn't.

So Atheists are bad towards Christians cause Christians are bad towards them?

I agree with your Geography teacher.
I'm not absent of faith, I just don't believe in 'the God of Theology' as Einstein put it.

From my experience, I think Athiests tend to be worse to Christians than what they get back. Then again, most Christians I know are pretty cool. xD
Maybe both sides deserve it, though.

If people say religion is about having Faith, and then say Athiesm has no Faith, then thats totally flawed. People say that Faith, when applied to religion and theology and all that jazz, means that you believe in something like God, without ever having proof that you're really right. You just have complete belief and trust in God.

Well, if Athiests don't believe in God without ever having proof in the same way, doesn't that require FAITH too?
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
March 16th, 2007 at 10:11pm
It doesn't take faith to believe in nothing.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 17th, 2007 at 12:00am
Bloodraine:
Dr. Cuddy:
I agree with you. I think that Christians don't consider Atheism as a religion and thats why they tend to dislike it most of the time. I have studied about Atheism in Religion class and in Geography and I was given different meanings of it in each class. In Religion class I was taught that Atheists are non-believers, but in Geography I was told that they aren't non-believers, just that they don't believe in God. I know this sounds messed up, I cant explain it really, but to put it simple, our Geography teacher said it was a religion and our Religion teacher said it wasn't.

So Atheists are bad towards Christians cause Christians are bad towards them?

I agree with your Geography teacher.
I'm not absent of faith, I just don't believe in 'the God of Theology' as Einstein put it.

From my experience, I think Athiests tend to be worse to Christians than what they get back. Then again, most Christians I know are pretty cool. xD
Maybe both sides deserve it, though.

If people say religion is about having Faith, and then say Athiesm has no Faith, then thats totally flawed. People say that Faith, when applied to religion and theology and all that jazz, means that you believe in something like God, without ever having proof that you're really right. You just have complete belief and trust in God.

Well, if Athiests don't believe in God without ever having proof in the same way, doesn't that require FAITH too?

I don't think so, faith is more trust and reliance on something. I believe that scooby doo is not real; just a cartoon, it doesn't mean I have faith in him. I don't believe that atheism can be considered faith because it's the abscene of faith in a way. You aren't trusting a religious figure and you don't have complete belief in them, you have no belief.
Pretty Like Drugs
Pretty Like Drugs
March 17th, 2007 at 04:27am
Bloodraine:
Pretty Like Drugs:
I don't like the idea of a god deciding for me the 'right/good' way to live my life, like practise abstinence. I don't like the idea of having to repent for what someone else considers sinning. I understand why others have turned to religion and also that none of Christianity is forced on me, it's a personal choice to turn to God. I mean, I realize many religions do preach moral/good things. I just personally would like to live my life the way I want to (not taking that point to any extremes like murdering someone) without being judged. You know what? I should word myself better: I dislike the idea of being part of a religion.
What flaws have you found in atheism?

Tough luck, honey, you're in one.

Athiesm has manymanymany flaws. More so than Christianity, I think.
The central flaw, of course, is that Athiesm has no structured beliefs. Only one, and that is "you don't believe in God, mmkai?". Every religion has some central, cornerstone beliefs which usually promote good. Christianity has The Law of Love and the Ten Commandments, for example. Athiesm has no such doctrines. Ergo, we have nothing to guide us, no standards to live by. And people need standards, generally.

Secondly, there are more Nihilists, cynics, high-school-shooters and generally depressed people in Athiesm than any other religion. We/They are generally cynical bastards, to put it nicely. Dammit, we just won't let people have fun. We tend to be jerks about everything happy, like Christmas or Ramadan or whatever.

Thirdly, no faith. Obvious, since no god=no faith, most of the time. And I seriously believe that having faith in something makes a person more at peace with themself and the world, and it makes them a nicer, more cheerful person.

Forthly. Athiesm is flawed because the majory of Athiests bitch at Christians constantly, and employ prejudice towards them a lot. Now we're back at the starting point, and the very reason I made this thread.

The end.

On the 'no structured beliefs' thing. I realize majority of religions preach goodness, therefore I'm not against the existence of religion. I've even acknowledged the benefit of the presence of religion in the world, in some other thread. I don't agree that I have no guidelines, no directions or standards. I have my parents, as incredibly babyish as that may sound. No, they can't teach me everything thing I'm going to need in this life. But they have instilled in me basic morals and ethics which I value, honesty, independence, being hard-working, etc. As for the rest, I'll go through life making mistakes and learning from them. You make it sound like as an atheist I'm bound to stumble through life like I was in the dark.

On the faith issue. That's not true. I don't have faith in a god, or any higher being. That's doesn't mean I haven't got faith FULL STOP - I have faith in people. Albeit not a lot of it, yes, you're very right, I am cynical. I put my faith in the few people I know who rightly deserve it. Is that a flaw to you? Faith, after all, is a strong belief in something, more so in the absence of proof. But faith can also mean absolute confidence and trust. I wasn't born cynical, the experiences I've had have shaped me, and I don't see that as a flaw. I can't speak for anyone else, but hey, it takes all kinds to make up the world. For every optimist out there, there should be a pessimist. The cynics question everything, always think of the worse case scenario. This can, indeed, lead to them having no fun. The pessimists like to find the silver lining in situations, which could lead to them overlooking bad signs. Neither are good when taken to the extreme.

And as for your last point, I've made it clear I don't bitch at Christians, as you put it. But if the majority of atheists do, then carry on.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 17th, 2007 at 02:15pm
Kurtni:
I don't think so, faith is more trust and reliance on something. I believe that scooby doo is not real; just a cartoon, it doesn't mean I have faith in him. I don't believe that atheism can be considered faith because it's the abscene of faith in a way. You aren't trusting a religious figure and you don't have complete belief in them, you have no belief.

Yeah, but Scooby Doo isn't your fundamental belief about the universe, creation, the purpose of life and all those other deeeeep issues.
God is just a little bit more important. Plus, people KNOW Scooby Doo isn't real. It doesn't take any faith at all, its been proven, everybody knows its a cartoon character. Unlike God.

btw, Athiests don't have 'no belief'.
I reiterate, Athiests do not believe in God. Which is not the same as having 'no belief', it seriously isn't.

"faith is more trust and reliance on something"
well you either just shot yourself in the foot, or you just agreed with me.
I trust and rely on the fact that God isn't real.
Same as Christians who trust that God is real, and they rely on getting to heaven.

druscilla; callmedru:
It doesn't take faith to believe in nothing.

Who believes in 'nothing'?
It sure as hell isn't Athiests. Maybe Nihilists.
I reiterate, Athiests do not believe in God. Which is not the same as believing in 'nothing', it seriously isn't.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 17th, 2007 at 02:20pm
Pretty Like Drugs:
On the 'no structured beliefs' thing. I realize majority of religions preach goodness, therefore I'm not against the existence of religion. I've even acknowledged the benefit of the presence of religion in the world, in some other thread. I don't agree that I have no guidelines, no directions or standards. I have my parents, as incredibly babyish as that may sound. No, they can't teach me everything thing I'm going to need in this life. But they have instilled in me basic morals and ethics which I value, honesty, independence, being hard-working, etc. As for the rest, I'll go through life making mistakes and learning from them. You make it sound like as an atheist I'm bound to stumble through life like I was in the dark.

On the faith issue. That's not true. I don't have faith in a god, or any higher being. That's doesn't mean I haven't got faith FULL STOP - I have faith in people. Albeit not a lot of it, yes, you're very right, I am cynical. I put my faith in the few people I know who rightly deserve it. Is that a flaw to you? Faith, after all, is a strong belief in something, more so in the absence of proof. But faith can also mean absolute confidence and trust. I wasn't born cynical, the experiences I've had have shaped me, and I don't see that as a flaw. I can't speak for anyone else, but hey, it takes all kinds to make up the world. For every optimist out there, there should be a pessimist. The cynics question everything, always think of the worse case scenario. This can, indeed, lead to them having no fun. The pessimists like to find the silver lining in situations, which could lead to them overlooking bad signs. Neither are good when taken to the extreme.

And as for your last point, I've made it clear I don't bitch at Christians, as you put it. But if the majority of atheists do, then carry on.

I'm bolding that part 'cause it makes sense and I hope everyone else reads it and takes it on board. Coolio
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
March 17th, 2007 at 02:36pm
Bloodraine:
Pretty Like Drugs:

I'm bolding that part 'cause it makes sense and I hope everyone else reads it and takes it on board. Coolio
I don't have absolute confidence and trust in God Think
Pretty Like Drugs
Pretty Like Drugs
March 17th, 2007 at 08:52pm
Bloodraine:
Kurtni:

Yeah, but Scooby Doo isn't your fundamental belief about the universe, creation, the purpose of life and all those other deeeeep issues.
God is just a little bit more important. Plus, people KNOW Scooby Doo isn't real. It doesn't take any faith at all, its been proven, everybody knows its a cartoon character. Unlike God.

btw, Athiests don't have 'no belief'.
I reiterate, Athiests do not believe in God. Which is not the same as having 'no belief', it seriously isn't.

"faith is more trust and reliance on something"
well you either just shot yourself in the foot, or you just agreed with me.
I trust and rely on the fact that God isn't real.
Same as Christians who trust that God is real, and they rely on getting to heaven.

That's right, as an atheist I would hate to be told I have no beliefs simply because I don't acknowledge the existence of any god. What if I agree with the idea of karma? That one ill/good turn deserves another? What you give is what you get? What goes around comes around? Does that mean I'm going to devote my life to the teachings of Hinduism? No, it means I've accepted one of their philosophical ideas as something that makes sense to me, and I support it, it becomes one of my beliefs. Having no belief in a god does not equal having no belief in anything.

And I also agree with you on the fact that for atheists to believe in the non-existence of higher beings, it requires faith. It's the very definition of faith - belief despite the absence of proof. It can go both ways.
Bones
Falling In Love With The Board
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 12:31am
hey, its about time they got a taste of their own medicine
christians throughout history have done nothing but discriminate and hold prejudges towards others

Not so fun on the other side is it, well ha is all i have to say
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
April 18th, 2007 at 03:10am
Elegant Ruble:
christians throughout history have done nothing but discriminate and hold prejudges towards others

So christians today should be held accountable for what christians a thousand years ago did?
DateLine
Idiot
DateLine
April 18th, 2007 at 08:21am
Elegant Ruble:

Mate, just cause you've got no religion, don't go off to others about something people did thousands ago...like the person above me mentioned.

Its not in a Christians nature to hold a grudge or discriminate against others, if they really love and believe in God, then they will do their all to be putting him first and loving others. Not putting them down.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 18th, 2007 at 09:43am
So, because Christians have been mean in the past to people, not people are being mean to them. So like pay back time, huh?

Does that mean that Christians should start crucifying every Jew and Roman for their crucifying of Christians?
rehabreject
Jackass
rehabreject
April 18th, 2007 at 01:17pm
I can't imagine atheism as a religion. I mean, in a technical sense it can be, but they just seem like such opposites.

To me it seems like atheism lacks the basics: like traditions, rituals and stories - all of which are an important part of any religion.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 18th, 2007 at 03:25pm
rehabreject
Jackass
rehabreject
April 18th, 2007 at 05:20pm
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
April 19th, 2007 at 01:24pm
Protestant Chritstians hate any religion besides their own. And you cannot contradict me, I've been in a protestant school.
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
April 19th, 2007 at 01:25pm
Meski:
Protestant Chritstians hate any religion besides their own. And you cannot contradict me, I've been in a protestant school.

A protestant school.
That accounts for every Protestant Christian?
I went to a Missionary church that said Harry Potter was evil.
That does not mean every Missionary church thinks Harry Potter is evil.
Generalizations.
Register