Alcoholism

AuthorMessage
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
January 5th, 2006 at 01:18pm
Sorry if this is already a thread..if it is you know what to do Wink

Anyway what are your views on alcoholism? I mean, do you think that it is taken too lightly in today's society? Do you feel that people drink nowadays and have no real idea of what's it's doing to them, or if they do then they just think "oh it won't happen to me".

I personally respect the drink. I would never abuse it. My own father was a violent alcoholic for 8 years of my life and as a result I hardly ever drink. I despise it for what it does, tears things apart, and then I see 13 year old girls on the park every Friday getting pissed out there heads, and they've no idea what they're doing to themselves.
Greenblade
Jackass
Greenblade
January 5th, 2006 at 01:22pm
i think alcohol isnt really respected enough by many,and they dont take in account how much damage it can do to them.
Tramp Bear!!! oh yeah.
Tramp Bear!!! oh yeah.
January 5th, 2006 at 01:41pm
my friends usually go into town and drink, i mean it's not like know one doesnt know th effects, we see if quite often in the news, but if that's th epath you wanna choose, you're spoiling yourself and having a bad effect on others around you.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
January 5th, 2006 at 01:53pm
Nine_Inch_Nails:
Sorry if this is already a thread..if it is you know what to do Wink

Anyway what are your views on alcoholism? I mean, do you think that it is taken too lightly in today's society? Do you feel that people drink nowadays and have no real idea of what's it's doing to them, or if they do then they just think "oh it won't happen to me".

I personally respect the drink. I would never abuse it. My own father was a violent alcoholic for 8 years of my life and as a result I hardly ever drink. I despise it for what it does, tears things apart, and then I see 13 year old girls on the park every Friday getting pissed out there heads, and they've no idea what they're doing to themselves.

I think that it should be taught about at school and the reprecussions that is has on families and friends, perhaps if we could teach the children while thay are younger perhaps they'll have more respect for themselfs.
11th Street Kid
11th Street Kid
January 5th, 2006 at 01:58pm
Oh, schools do teach it...and little kids usually say,"I'm not gonna drink when I'm older." but their views change when they're older. I don't mind drinking...I drink a bit...more than my friends but I've got a high alcohol tolerance so I've never gotten pissed before. People around me..that are my age..seem to get pissed after about..half a bottle of vodka! Surprised

When I drank half a bottle of vodka though...nothing happened Confused
Tramp Bear!!! oh yeah.
Tramp Bear!!! oh yeah.
January 5th, 2006 at 02:04pm
*Blue Star*-GARBIEKINS!!:
Oh, schools do teach it...and little kids usually say,"I'm not gonna drink when I'm older." but their views change when they're older. I don't mind drinking...I drink a bit...more than my friends but I've got a high alcohol tolerance so I've never gotten pissed before. People around me..that are my age..seem to get pissed after about..half a bottle of vodka! Surprised

When I drank half a bottle of vodka though...nothing happened Confused

people differ though, some arent as tolerant and it can do more to you. but either way, the damage is there and it increases the more you drink Cool and cmon, we all know that vodka is hardly an alcopop!!!!
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
January 5th, 2006 at 03:13pm
yes i do ... its taken waaaaaaaaaay to lightly ... people are drinking alchol like its water. its kinda dissapoinlting actually
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
January 5th, 2006 at 03:49pm
I have a problem with how many people view alcoholics today. Many see them as being total wasters who have thrown their lives away, and it being a self-inflicted cause, which just isn't true. An example of this would be the 'George Best' thread, a while ago, where many condemned him...

That aside, kids (and even adults) these days have little respect for how dangerous Alcohol can be. It is now normal for them to go out and get drunk and weekends. I personally do not drink, for many reasons, and hopefully in the future I will continue not to do so.
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
January 5th, 2006 at 04:23pm
Too many people act like a glass of wine is the same thing as a glass of iced tea. You see people drinking on TV all the time, hear about it in books and movies, etc..., and people act like drinking isn't as harmful as drugs and smoking, but it pretty much is.
Faith
Addict
Faith
January 5th, 2006 at 04:57pm
Sometimes alcohol is more dangerous than drugs. I mean, it's surely more addictive than weed and it fucks you up more.
It's true people often don't understand how dangerous alcohol is and a lot of kids think "Well, I'll drink a little bit, but then I'll stop", but they might never stop. And even if they do stop, they still damage their organisms - it's like a lawn: once you walk on it, the grass will never be the same.
dysLEXIa
dysLEXIa
January 5th, 2006 at 11:38pm
I respect the drink also. I haven't drank much, but I would never abuse it. My grandfather was a major alcoholic. He still is, I know it. He's just covering it up for his "girlfreind". Rolling Eyes But I've seen what it does to him, and I really don't want to become that.

In a way, I can look at drinking in someones mind having the same effect as cutting. Like a temporary aid that is addicting. But, hey, that's just my opinion.
~ Christie ~
Idiot
~ Christie ~
January 6th, 2006 at 06:24am
why are cigarets and alcohol legal, but pot no ?
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
January 6th, 2006 at 07:08am
~ Christie ~:

Because people are too stupid to make things like cigarettes illegal.
GD4ever
Jackass
GD4ever
January 6th, 2006 at 07:20am
ExtraodinaryGirl:
~ Christie ~:

yeah they're really exaggerate some things...
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 6th, 2006 at 08:08am
~ Christie ~:

there will be a time when it becomes legal!! And then perhaps the seedy crime involving pot will go away.
~ Christie ~
Idiot
~ Christie ~
January 6th, 2006 at 08:33am
ExtraodinaryGirl:
~ Christie ~:

...and things like pot legal : >
~ Christie ~
Idiot
~ Christie ~
January 6th, 2006 at 08:33am
tre_cool_is_god:
~ Christie ~:

there will be a time when it becomes legal!! And then perhaps the seedy crime involving pot will go away.

ahhh...anly dream that we can. : >
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 6th, 2006 at 09:36am
~ Christie ~:
tre_cool_is_god:
~ Christie ~:

well i think that it will have be made legal at some time, think about it, it isnt legal in places like Germany but it is tolerated and they have next to no crime involving the drug, so perhaps we should look at Germany for our insperation.
~ Christie ~
Idiot
~ Christie ~
January 6th, 2006 at 10:29am
tre_cool_is_god:
~ Christie ~:
tre_cool_is_god:
~ Christie ~:

well i think that it will have be made legal at some time, think about it, it isnt legal in places like Germany but it is tolerated and they have next to no crime involving the drug, so perhaps we should look at Germany for our insperation.

yeah..Or Amsterdam : D
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
January 6th, 2006 at 04:52pm
~ Christie ~:
tre_cool_is_god:
~ Christie ~:
tre_cool_is_god:
~ Christie ~:

yeah..Or Amsterdam : D
"Harold. You know what's legal in Amsterdam, right?" I do love that movie.

People do laugh at alcoholism a bit too much, I think. Even "The Simpsons," easily the best show on TV, could be said to contribute to the general public's unconcerned attitude for alcoholism. If anybody wants reading on the subject, I highly recommend Augusten Burrough's third memoir, "Dry". He's a great writer; after you read that one (about his struggle to keep clean after going to rehab), you should read the previous two. Best. Memoir. Ever.
Register