Ageism

AuthorMessage
fender
Geek
fender
January 27th, 2006 at 04:03pm
it is a know fact that more people suffer from agism (?) that any other ism in the world. though some people argue that it doesnt really egsist. and maybe it isnt as severe as racism or sexism or any other ism but it is supressing. i have had adults tell me that what i have to say is invaluble because i am a mere child and that it would not matter. this to me is very offensive, just because some one is older does make them any better or cleverer (maybe a little wiser in a few cases due to experience and such) but they are by no means more valuble. what do you think?
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
January 27th, 2006 at 04:16pm
I am pretty ageist (lmfao It makes me laugh SO much that word!)

I'm ageist against toddlers, and I'm ageist against a lot of old people. But they all judge me anyway so meh.
Kitti
Kitti
January 27th, 2006 at 04:24pm
General accepted truths:
1) Wisdom comes with age.
2) Maturity comes with age.
3) Younger generations will succeed the older generations, placing a great deal of value on the young.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
January 27th, 2006 at 04:26pm
Wisdom doesn't ALWAYS come with age though (yes, I know you said general)

I don't know if it's just Wigan (where I live), but old people, in general, are REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, ignorant. And I mean...REALLY.
VF Lover!
King For A Couple Of Days
VF Lover!
January 27th, 2006 at 04:27pm
paradoxical:
General accepted truths:
3) Younger generations will succeed the older generations, placing a great deal of value on the young.

1) Wisdom does not always come with age.
2) Physical maturity comes with age, not mental.
3) eh, that's fine.
Kitti
Kitti
January 27th, 2006 at 04:29pm
Nine_Inch_Nails:
Wisdom doesn't ALWAYS come with age though (yes, I know you said general)

I don't know if it's just Wigan (where I live), but old people, in general, are REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, ignorant. And I mean...REALLY.

I didn't say it was accurate, I said it was an accepted truth. I feel that it starts to reverse after a certain age in most people, but on a general basis, it's pretty much true. Experience dictates that I think differently now than I did a few years ago. I'm sure that goes for most people (I realize I'm weird, but it seems like a human thing, right?), therefore the true thing.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
January 27th, 2006 at 05:13pm
It definitly works both ways, Me and my brothers were brought up to respect my elders, and for the most part I do.

for example I hate it when an ederly person gets on the bus and theres no seats avaliable and teenagers won't give there seats up. Some of these people put their lives on the line to give us freedom.

Secondly yes i do feel elder generations look down on us, but where i feel we go wrong is instead of proving them wrong, we act all childish and in doing so prove them right.
TheFaggot
TheFaggot
January 27th, 2006 at 07:15pm
HAH! I've always said that you shouldn't judge people by their age!

But then again, I was an extraordinary kid- I get puzzeled every time I see a twoyearold, and they are nothing like what I were..
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
January 27th, 2006 at 07:30pm
VF Lover!:
paradoxical:
General accepted truths:

3) eh, that's fine.

I know people can be young, mature and sometimes wise beyond their years but it pisses me off when I see some 13-year-old brat acting like they know better than their parents and teachers, who are after all there to (dispite public opinion) help them until they are old enough to make it out there on their own.
We may be the open-minded, know-it-all, generation X but not all of us have very much life experience and could do with copping on and repecting the ones that do.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 27th, 2006 at 07:39pm
Incubus:
VF Lover!:
paradoxical:
General accepted truths:

3) eh, that's fine.

I know people can be young, mature and sometimes wise beyond their years but it pisses me off when I see some 13-year-old brat acting like they know better than their parents and teachers, who are after all there to (dispite public opinion) help them until they are old enough to make it out there on their own.
We may be the open-minded, know-it-all, generation X but not all of us have very much life experience and could do with copping on and repecting the ones that do.

we could learn from the older generation, when they were young they were able to leave they're doors open.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
January 27th, 2006 at 09:03pm
The youth bureau I'm in is an group actively trying to get youth out in the community, making a difference and battling against this agism you speak of. (I make it sound much more dramatic than it really is.)
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 28th, 2006 at 03:57am
i worked in a home for the elderly and i loved every minute because there was never a dull moment most of them wanted to share old stories with you and most of which for me anyway were very interesting. But there was always the odd few who for no fault of they're own were senile and a lot of the girls i worked with were affraid to go near them but i wasnt. I have been hit, kicked, spat at, but it is always a job that i would go back to again and again. It's not the easiest job in the world but it is one of the most rewarding. The hardest part of the job is when they pass away.

But i did hate the way that some of they're daughters, sons and so on just put them in a home just so that they wouldnt have to deal with them, and they then wouldnt come to visit for weeks on end and i hated that.
fender
Geek
fender
January 28th, 2006 at 04:24pm
lots of you are saying older people are wiser, and to an extent i think that is true, but by no means does that make what they have to say any more worth hearing than a what a child has to say. I respect my elders but i do not class myself lower or higher than them because im not and that is agism...believing your slef better than some one because of an age difference!
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
January 28th, 2006 at 04:25pm
In some ways a child is more intelligent than an older person.
fender
Geek
fender
January 28th, 2006 at 05:08pm
Nine_Inch_Nails:
In some ways a child is more intelligent than an older person.

i agree
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
January 28th, 2006 at 05:11pm
Youth can speak without the prejudices of age.
fender
Geek
fender
January 28th, 2006 at 05:14pm
dirtyhippie:

so many times i have spoken around older people and been told that my point of view is invaluble becasue i am a child.
Kitti
Kitti
January 28th, 2006 at 05:23pm
fender:
dirtyhippie:

so many times i have spoken around older people and been told that my point of view is invaluble becasue i am a child.

Your opinion will have 100000000 times more value (to me) if you turned on your BBCode Laughing
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
January 28th, 2006 at 05:30pm
paradoxical:
fender:
dirtyhippie:

Your opinion will have 100000000 times more value (to me) if you turned on your BBCode Laughing
So THAT'S what BBCode does.

I've had the good fortune to be able to shut up any adults that try and pull that one. Either that or they pull it and walk off to earn a paycheck.
fender
Geek
fender
January 28th, 2006 at 05:37pm
dirtyhippie:
paradoxical:
fender:
dirtyhippie:

So THAT'S what BBCode does.

I've had the good fortune to be able to shut up any adults that try and pull that one. Either that or they pull it and walk off to earn a paycheck.

sorry to be really dumb but whats a BBcode?
Register