Do you or your parents park in disabled/handicapped spaces?

AuthorMessage
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
February 2nd, 2007 at 06:15am
sampalletband:
Just bear in mind that a disablity isn't always visible. My husband's is for his Fibromyalgia, he doesn't 'look' disabled.

Yeah, but when he gets out of the car and starts walking, does he look like.. wait, does he have pain or fatigue in his muscles, bones or joints? But when he walks, is it noticible?

Because I think they're not just refering to people who look normal, but people who appear to be walking normal, and who look quite healthy.

But I see what you mean, they may look like there's nothing wrong, but it may be incredibly hard for them to walk any further than that space or something.
Banach95
King For A Couple Of Days
Banach95

Mibba Blog
February 2nd, 2007 at 07:32am
No... Ronnie has no outward signs of being disabled. He walks 'normally'. He's in a lot of pain though all the time but he hides it well.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
February 2nd, 2007 at 10:30am
sampalletband:
No... Ronnie has no outward signs of being disabled. He walks 'normally'. He's in a lot of pain though all the time but he hides it well.
...House. Waiting for season three...can't wait...need to download...need it...now!
Banach95
Banach95

Mibba Blog
February 2nd, 2007 at 11:16am
Anji:
sampalletband:
...House. Waiting for season three...can't wait...need to download...need it...now!

[spam]

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Lemme send some links your way tehe

[/spam]
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 2nd, 2007 at 12:38pm
Since this point has been largely ignored so far;
AnnieTheAce.:
Or do you use the lift/elevator because you cant be arsed to use the stairs?

I think people forget that there are people who wished they could use the stairs.

I don't think lifts should be for only disabled people. Thats stupid, they are for everyone. I use lifts sometimes (although there aren't very many in my town) and I doubt I'd ever stop using them just for disabled people. Lifts aren't the same as car spaces; if you don't get one, you can wait a minute or two for the next. For example, mothers with pushchairs are not disabled, but they might need a lift.

I also think, in theory, that I could park in disabled spaces XD
Since the government gives me Disability Living Allowance, they probably think I'm disabled, so I can probably get a sticker.
That would be pretty dumb and selfish though/
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
February 2nd, 2007 at 08:04pm
Bloodraine:
Since this point has been largely ignored so far;
AnnieTheAce.:
Or do you use the lift/elevator because you cant be arsed to use the stairs?

I think people forget that there are people who wished they could use the stairs.

I don't think lifts should be for only disabled people. Thats stupid, they are for everyone. I use lifts sometimes (although there aren't very many in my town) and I doubt I'd ever stop using them just for disabled people. Lifts aren't the same as car spaces; if you don't get one, you can wait a minute or two for the next. For example, mothers with pushchairs are not disabled, but they might need a lift.

I also think, in theory, that I could park in disabled spaces XD
Since the government gives me Disability Living Allowance, they probably think I'm disabled, so I can probably get a sticker.
That would be pretty dumb and selfish though/

you can only get the disbility sticker if you are in receipt of the higher rate of benifit, i get it for one of my children but not the other, and many times we have driving around hospital car parks looking for spaces because some arrogant person has parked in a disabled space.

even though i have a badge for my son i try not to use it all the time even though i am entitled to, i still do not however park in child and mother spaces.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 2nd, 2007 at 08:48pm
Lucifers Angel:
even though i have a badge for my son i try not to use it all the time even though i am entitled to, i still do not however park in child and mother spaces.

Why not?

That seems a bit strange to me; you won't park in spaces that are specially for children and mothers which aren't really monitored, but you'll park in disabled ones which you need a badge to do so.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
February 4th, 2007 at 07:25am
Bloodraine:
Lucifers Angel:

Why not?

That seems a bit strange to me; you won't park in spaces that are specially for children and mothers which aren't really monitored, but you'll park in disabled ones which you need a badge to do so.

i like my son to get excersise and somtimes it is just good to walk, my son has ADHD, tourretes, and OCD and he can walk, i would prefer the space to go to an OAP who has problems walking.
DAMONE_doll_parts
Geek
DAMONE_doll_parts
February 14th, 2007 at 10:30am
AnnieTheAce.:
I am disabled and I find it really offending when people park in Disabled spaces just out of laziness. Or do you use the lift/elevator because you cant be arsed to use the stairs?

In America it is illegal to park in handicapped parking spaces but in the U.K its not.

What are your views on this?

I completely agree. My mom uses the handicap parking pass because of her knee and back. It pisses me off when people use the parking speces out of pure laziness...my mom has such a hard time walking, and she cant even find a place to park..
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
February 14th, 2007 at 03:22pm
Funnily enough, since mom has multiple sclerosis, we do. She walks real slow and can't pick up her feet.
peeingchicken
Geek
peeingchicken
February 23rd, 2007 at 10:11am
weell my parents dont but my uncle he cant walk and he has my aunt drive him everywhere and they park in disabled,but if your not disabled dont do it.
EvilGiraffe!
Addict
EvilGiraffe!

Blog
February 23rd, 2007 at 12:07pm
Yes, my parents park in disabled parking spaces..but only coz my mums disabled.

It does piss dad off when people who aren't disabled park there coz then there are no spaces left and we have to park ages away..
...so yeah..I know what your saying.
Love
Love

Mibba Blog
April 1st, 2007 at 10:40am
i think that disabled spaces have a right to be there and they should be respected. Same as for exacple women with kids spaces. They are there for a reason.
On the other hand i think that lifts are for everyone. It shouldn't be such a big deal to simply wait a minute for the lift. Its not the same as having a long distance to the shop for example coz the disabled spaces are taken I think.

What I noticed is that often people ignore disabled people. Like when someone has trouble getting into the tram or train they barely get help. Only if they ask someone, then they get help. But no one asks from themselves if they could help.
Same for example with mothers with a buggy. I think thats a shame too.
Peter Petrelli
Peter Petrelli
April 1st, 2007 at 03:10pm
I haven't really had much experience about parking in handi-capped spaces, but I have got something to say about using lifts, etc.

Okay, I'm a lazy turd and like to use the lift when possible - I mean, they are there for everyone. But if there's someone in a wheelchair, pushing a baby around, or can't use the stairs, then I'll just let them use the lift instead and go up the stairs myself. I know it's not a major issue, but just because someone is disabled doesn't mean they should have to wait.

If that makes sense.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 1st, 2007 at 03:38pm
Tabby Delany:
I haven't really had much experience about parking in handi-capped spaces, but I have got something to say about using lifts, etc.

Okay, I'm a lazy turd and like to use the lift when possible - I mean, they are there for everyone. But if there's someone in a wheelchair, pushing a baby around, or can't use the stairs, then I'll just let them use the lift instead and go up the stairs myself. I know it's not a major issue, but just because someone is disabled doesn't mean they should have to wait.

If that makes sense.

And just because they are disabled, it doesnt mean they shouldn't have to wait.

I mean, they're just the same as everyone else, really. Its not going to kill someone to wait in a queue for a lift.
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!
Jackass
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!

Mibba
April 2nd, 2007 at 02:07pm
Yeah, my Dad does, but he only has one leg.
rehabreject
Jackass
rehabreject
April 2nd, 2007 at 06:06pm
Bloodraine:

And just because they are disabled, it doesnt mean they shouldn't have to wait.

I mean, they're just the same as everyone else, really. Its not going to kill someone to wait in a queue for a lift.
...just like it wouldn't it kill you to show some simple courtesy towards those who find getting around harder than you do.

I sorta like old-fashioned manners - like giving up your bus seat to an old person or letting a pregnant women through a doorway first.
Still clinging on to the good ol' days... Rolling Eyes
Buddy Christ
Falling In Love With The Board
Buddy Christ

Blog
April 2nd, 2007 at 06:12pm
I use lifts, and when I had multiple surgeries we used the handicapped parts. They can wait for lifts. I had to, so does everyone else. in this world at one time or another
I_Wanna_B_The_Minority
I_Wanna_B_The_Minority
April 3rd, 2007 at 03:26pm
No.
We didn't park in disabled spots when I was in a wheelchair or had just had surgery.
I still thought that even though I needed to use them that there were more people that could have benefitted the spaces more than I could have.
Bones
Falling In Love With The Board
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 12:29am
hell yeah - their always closest to the store
Register