Do You Think Praying Works?

AuthorMessage
vivalarorya
Falling In Love With The Board
vivalarorya
December 25th, 2010 at 05:40pm
Y'know what prayer is?

It's conversation. You don't just pray when you need something. That's like only talking to your parents to ask them for things. If the only communication you have with Mom and Dad is to ask favors, are they going to get granted?
Obviously not.

Praying is the same way. You don't only go to God to ask him to fix all of your problems, and I think that's what people don't always realize.

Praying is just talking to the Lord. Telling Him about your day, what's on your mind, any problems. Simply conversation.

And before anyone can go on the "It's not conversation if there's not a response" thing, there is. Or--there can be, if you open yourself to it. Example, if you're telling God about something that's stressing you out, and if you believe He's listening [and, let's face it, if you're praying in the first place it kinda helps to believe that...if not, good luck to you]...there can be a response. Not in words, and maybe not right away, but something will change. It may just be a change in your mindset, and you walk away feeling better about the issue, or it could be something else altogether--like, say you run into a friend and you start talking, and you hang out and have a good time, and you walk away from that just feeling better about life in general and you feel like maybe this issue could work out and be okay. Things like that.

So I believe if you keep an open line with God and feel free to talk to Him about anything, whenever, and if your requests aren't ridiculous [like...I don't know, finding a cool million on the street the next day], then I believe they work. It may not be right away or exactly in the way you were hoping for, but in the end it will happen. I know it sounds like a lot to take into account, but in all actuality, if your faith is strong then it's not difficult at all, I assure you.

And, hey, sometimes...you get what you ask for right away, in the way that you want. It's happened quite a few times for me.

So, yes. I firmly, beyond a shadow of a doubt believe that prayer works.
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
December 25th, 2010 at 10:53pm
^Well said, that's what I think as well.

I've always said I've found this debate paradoxical, because clearly someone who doesn't have faith will claim that praying doesn't work, and people of faith will claim that it does. That is the whole essence of faith and prayer.
leannebtns
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
leannebtns
December 28th, 2010 at 08:19pm
Desmond Hume:

I've always said I've found this debate paradoxical, because clearly someone who doesn't have faith will claim that praying doesn't work, and people of faith will claim that it does. That is the whole essence of faith and prayer.

Very true... though I'm thinking the point of this thread was more to discuss why people believe praying does or doesn't work; so, in a sense, sharing how/why we do or don't have faith and all that.
Dana.
This Board Is My Home
Dana.

Blog
December 30th, 2010 at 10:58pm
I believe that it works because I have seen it work and I'm not Christian or Catholic at all. I believe in the power behind the prayer and I know that will work.
Jesse Lacey
Post Whore
Jesse Lacey

Mibba Blog
January 1st, 2011 at 05:07pm
i definitely think prayer works.
i've gone through a lot in my life and God has always been there for me. i know when i need someone to listen He always will.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
January 2nd, 2011 at 01:04am
Jesse Lacey:
i've gone through a lot in my life and God has always been there for me. i know when i need someone to listen He always will.
If there was a "like" button, I would like this.
vivalarorya
Falling In Love With The Board
vivalarorya
January 2nd, 2011 at 04:57am
Desmond Hume:
Thank you, glad someone agrees =)

John Entwistle:
Jesse Lacey:
If there was a "like" button, I would like this.
^this
Squid.
King For A Couple Of Days
Squid.

Blog
January 3rd, 2011 at 09:44pm
Praying brings comfort, strength, etc.
I suppose it's a good way to let your emotions flow, and not having to worry about being judge.

Though, I would recomend a journal, it's very tharaputic.
Why, I love mine.
I think that it's sort of like praying in a sense.
ColieAnne91
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
ColieAnne91
January 14th, 2011 at 01:48pm
Praying works if you are praying to God/Jesus.
I am religious. Christian/Baptist.
God has never let me down.
MAD CUNT
Basket Case
MAD CUNT

Blog
January 14th, 2011 at 02:54pm
ColieAnne91:
I'm sure that people of other faiths would take issue with the first sentence... have you ever prayed to an alternate deity to be sure that praying doesn't work with them?

Of course, seeing as you've stated you're a Christian it's unlikely that you would have prayed to, say, Allah, or Buddha, so if you haven't done that I'm not taking issue with it! It's just the definite tone of the first sentence - how would you know for sure that other religions are wrong, and that the gods they believe in don't similarly fulfil prayers unless you've tried and failed with them? (I can see this becoming a circular argument, actually.) Especially when you consider that, although the beliefs of Judaism and Islam are dichotomised, they are still essentially monotheistic religions.

I hope my points makes sense!

Incidentally, I am an atheist (ex-Christian - I worked out the other day that I've spent over 3,000 hours of my life in my church, though partially because my mother works there) - the prayers that have been answered in my life have usually involved praying that my football team will score a penalty in a match... oh, and that I would beat the Elite Four on Pokemon. But that's more skill or coincidence than anything, I believe.
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
January 14th, 2011 at 03:37pm
Brett Anderson.:
ColieAnne91:
I'm sure that people of other faiths would take issue with the first sentence... have you ever prayed to an alternate deity to be sure that praying doesn't work with them?

Of course, seeing as you've stated you're a Christian it's unlikely that you would have prayed to, say, Allah, or Buddha, so if you haven't done that I'm not taking issue with it! It's just the definite tone of the first sentence - how would you know for sure that other religions are wrong, and that the gods they believe in don't similarly fulfil prayers unless you've tried and failed with them? (I can see this becoming a circular argument, actually.) Especially when you consider that, although the beliefs of Judaism and Islam are dichotomised, they are still essentially monotheistic religions.

Incidentally, I am an atheist (ex-Christian - I worked out the other day that I've spent over 3,000 hours of my life in my church, though partially because my mother works there) - the prayers that have been answered in my life have usually involved praying that my football team will score a penalty in a match... oh, and that I would beat the Elite Four on Pokemon. But that's more skill or coincidence than anything, I believe.

I agree, it's sort of rude to say that it will work IF you pray to them. That is saying that no other religion is realistic. Very Bias.

And second of all, lmao at the pokemon thing.
ColieAnne91
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
ColieAnne91
January 15th, 2011 at 12:44am
Brett Anderson.:
ColieAnne91:

Well I am not going to deny what I believe. That goes against my religion. I am not going to change what I believe in a comment so no one would take issue with. Obviously someone already has tho. I did not say it to be rude. it is my belief.
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
January 15th, 2011 at 12:10pm
ColieAnne91:
Brett Anderson.:
ColieAnne91:

Well I am not going to deny what I believe. That goes against my religion. I am not going to change what I believe in a comment so no one would take issue with. Obviously someone already has tho. I did not say it to be rude. it is my belief.

It is againt'a your religion to accept others for what they believe?
Or that anything anyone else believe isn't real?
It only works with God?
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
January 15th, 2011 at 07:51pm
I think what she meant was that, say im a muslim, ill be offended, because youre saying that praying only works if you pray to Jesus. If im muslim, ill be praying to Allah, and youre saying (of course not in so many words, and probably unintentionally) that im wasting my time by not doping so to Jesus or your god.

Idk thats what i got out of it..
ColieAnne91
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
ColieAnne91
January 15th, 2011 at 08:23pm
Nada.:
ColieAnne91:
Brett Anderson.:
ColieAnne91:

It is againt'a your religion to accept others for what they believe?
Or that anything anyone else believe isn't real?
It only works with God?

I said it is against my religion for me to say praying to anyone works.
& I only believe God/Jesus is real.
I can not go around saying you can pray to whoever.
MAD CUNT
Basket Case
MAD CUNT

Blog
January 15th, 2011 at 11:04pm
ocean avenue:
I think what she meant was that, say im a muslim, ill be offended, because youre saying that praying only works if you pray to Jesus. If im muslim, ill be praying to Allah, and youre saying (of course not in so many words, and probably unintentionally) that im wasting my time by not doping so to Jesus or your god.

Idk thats what i got out of it..

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Very Happy
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
January 16th, 2011 at 01:05pm
omg, this is like when a religious friend of mine sent out an email to all her friends saying that she had just found out her dog had cancer, and would likely need to be put to sleep. She was asking everyone to please pray that her dog would get better.
Another friend, who happened to be muslim, very kindly said that she would pray for the dog to get better. The first friend, the owner of the dog, said something like "Oh, well, that's nice, but you aren't Christian so your prayers wouldn't make a difference"

-______-
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
January 16th, 2011 at 04:20pm
omg, if her dog is sick and she's sending out a message to her friends, including the muslim chick... what's the point then? just accept it and say thanks
and wow, shouldn't she just y'know, either not send that to her muslim friend, or keep it to herself that she thinks her concern doesn't matter?

=/
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
January 16th, 2011 at 04:24pm
ocean avenue:
omg, if her dog is sick and she's sending out a message to her friends, including the muslim chick... what's the point then? just accept it and say thanks
and wow, shouldn't she just y'know, either not send that to her muslim friend, or keep it to herself that she thinks her concern doesn't matter?

=/

I KNOW it was so rude
I was like...well I was speechless actually but wow.
She was a pretty good friend of mine as long as we didn't talk religion. Because she did things like this quite often.
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
January 16th, 2011 at 04:36pm
Desmond Hume:
ocean avenue:

=/

I KNOW it was so rude
I was like...well I was speechless actually but wow.
She was a pretty good friend of mine as long as we didn't talk religion. Because she did things like this quite often.
=/
i only know a few (openly) christian people, but they're usually quite private about their belief, since it's like.. even rare that people are religious here. so i guess it wouldn't be a problem, they'd just send it to the people they know from their church, but i don't really get why she would send it to a muslim friend if she doesn't think her prayers matter. I mean, aren't muslims supposed to stay away from dogs, too? Think
Register