"Troubles" In the North

AuthorMessage
a-dawg.
Falling In Love With The Board
a-dawg.
February 14th, 2006 at 05:21pm
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:
Thats all well and good, but when you have kids here still supporting the IRA and not really knowing anything of its history other than that "they are supposed to hate the brits" its kinda hard

They're free to support the IRA by all means (I just don't agree with it, obviously). But they really should learn more and be educated.

I know it isn't going to work yet, Aiffo (even though I want it to) but if we younger generations show the older generations that English and Irish can get along together, maybe some of the bad feeling may be gradually lost.
Maybe. Just maybe.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
February 15th, 2006 at 03:23am
suzie_k:
tre_cool_is_god:
suzie_k:
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:
eurovision no one mentioned the eurovision Embarassed

Aye, suure we didn't. Shifty

Let the off-topicness end here!.

ok!!
To be perfectly honest, I'm glad what happened in the past happened. it has made our county stronger and i think no historicaly and culturaly we are richer and prouder as a nation.

We can say we took on the british empire and nearly won with the exception of the north

you have to remember the past to learn from it in the future.

exactaly!
i like that quote so im gonna steal it and put it in my book!

and did you ask permission? No you didnt. Only joking of course you can.

i like my countries past sure i wasnt tthere but my fore fathers were and they are a part of my heritage and i have a right to remember and to learn from what they went through.
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
February 20th, 2006 at 02:49pm
Wellllll, if you look at it this way, without the colonization of Ireland then we probably wouldn't have such a, er, thriving culture. Seriously, our anthem (Amhran na bhFiann) is a rebels' song.
fender
Geek
fender
February 21st, 2006 at 09:54am
NeoSteph:
tre_cool_is_god:
xAiffoXKorrx:
NeoSteph:
Incubus:
NeoSteph:
xAiffoXKorrx:
Bloodraine:
Incubus:
I've said this before, we're not directing our anger at English people on a personal level, I wouldn't go up to some Englishman on the street and punch him because of what his ancestors did.

Well as long as you do that, then fine. I'll not be naive enough to think I have a right to go to Ireland and not expect abuse (I've heard stories...). So when I do go, I'll expect unpleasent stuff directed at me anyway. I say this because I have a friend who was spat at whilst in Ireland (She's from an Irish family, but has an english accent).

Even though, as I have said, my Ancestors wern't English anyway.
Oh, you've heard stories? There are tons of English people in Dublin nowadays. The people getting beaten up are Irish not English. Don't expect something of a country you've never been to.

yet you hold onto a belief structure started by people you've never met.

I've been to Ireland and did enjoy myself, however my boyfriend had plenty of people start fights with him. I've been told it's because of his londoners accent, where as i have something similar to cornish and would be considered neutral, because of cornwalls own opinions of independance.

Have you been to England?

I've been to England quite a few times, its not a bad place but the people there are bizarrely polite. It was really weird, anytime I bumped into someone, even though it was my fault they said sorry...

Just our way i suppose, you get the odd nasty bit of work. But confrontation is something we like to stay away from. you've probably been to major cities come to plymouth and you'll have a culture shock, a mixture of tourist and farmers thats what we are.

The Irish were friendly to me, bit rowdy but they reminded me of the way Americans acted in disneyland yet it didn't seem fake. However there was one tosser that refused to let us enter a pub unless he could see some irish i.d, yet he wasn't even employed by the pub.
Yeah, you get a lot of tossers, but the majority are fairly welcoming.

hey neosteph i used to live in plymouth adn your right its a nice place. I think that the Hoe is one of the nicest places ever. And we climbed the light house which was an expierince.

My husband had a job working i the ship yard there, and he said that he would go back and live there now if he could. But i dont think i would i would love to go back to wales.

I live on the hoe, you can see the lighthouse from my window. Though they don't let people go up there anymore ;_;

I like it here, we sort of stay neutral when it comes to british problems.

i live near Plymouth, my mum goes to uni there...i'm gonna be there next tuesday on a corse about sport leadership!
suzie_k
suzie_k
February 26th, 2006 at 04:04pm
Anyone see the Dublin Riots?
I just thought that it ties in with the troubles in the north!
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
February 26th, 2006 at 06:11pm
suzie_k:

yeah i was reading about it today, it was outragios. But what strted it?
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
February 26th, 2006 at 07:56pm
Magne:
suzie_k:

There was a Pro-Ulster march going on, so some non-pro-Ulster people decided to wreck the joint.
But What I don't right, is they were looting shops like FootLocker, and other shops that sell expensive runner when the was a Bank right across the street I mean seriously they should have looted the bank and then they could buy lots of runners. And anyway those runners were on display, so they only got one and not the pair.
Gobshites.
suzie_k
suzie_k
February 27th, 2006 at 01:57pm
Those riots were retarded.
I was listening to the ignorant bastards on the radio.
Thwy say they did it in the name of the Irish people.
Well in that case I'm ashamed to be Irish!
How dare they do something like that in my name!
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
February 27th, 2006 at 03:14pm
suzie_k:

I never heard that. Fucking cheek of them, in the name of the Irish people my arse!
Bastards the whole lot of 'em
suzie_k
suzie_k
February 27th, 2006 at 03:22pm
Incubus:
suzie_k:

I never heard that. Fucking cheek of them, in the name of the Irish people my arse!

It was just pure ignorance.
And half those kids rioting had no idea what the march was for.
And probably no idea what the riot was for.
And since Saturday I am ashamed to be Irish!
And that is one thing I never thought I would say!
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
February 27th, 2006 at 03:25pm
suzie_k:
Incubus:
suzie_k:

I'm not ashamed to be Irish; I'm ashamed they're Irish
suzie_k
suzie_k
February 27th, 2006 at 03:31pm
Incubus:
suzie_k:
Incubus:
suzie_k:

But people look at that and think thats how we all are.
And the gardaí should have seen it coming.
All that had to do was buy a copy of that "Saoirse" magazine for €1.50 of a newspaper stall on O Connell Street and they would have had all the info they needed about that riot!
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
February 27th, 2006 at 03:35pm
suzie_k:
Incubus:
suzie_k:
Incubus:
suzie_k:

But people look at that and think thats how we all are.
And the gardaí should have seen it coming.
All that had to do was buy a copy of that "Saoirse" magazine for €1.50 of a newspaper stall on O Connell Street and they would have had all the info they needed about that riot!

You're right of course, the gardaí weren't half as prepared as they should have been.
suzie_k
suzie_k
February 27th, 2006 at 03:49pm
Incubus:
You're right of course, the gardaí weren't half as prepared as they should have been.

But the Gardaí are more interested in moving kids from pillar to post than actually doing somehting productive with their time.
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
March 8th, 2006 at 04:11pm
Incubus:
Magne:
suzie_k:

There was a Pro-Ulster march going on, so some non-pro-Ulster people decided to wreck the joint.
But What I don't right, is they were looting shops like FootLocker, and other shops that sell expensive runner when the was a Bank right across the street I mean seriously they should have looted the bank and then they could buy lots of runners. And anyway those runners were on display, so they only got one and not the pair.
Gobshites.
They're skangers so they wanted their Nikes.
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
March 8th, 2006 at 04:13pm
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:
It's not friendly when you don't care who england are playing as long as they loose.
It's just bigoted!
An I don't want to be a bigot!

I don't mind anyway...Call it rivalry . I don't think it's a big deal. Get it out of your system with the football and the rugby.
Or jealousy. You guys have wayy better TV and music. Last good thing I saw on Irish telly was the Stardust documentary. Anyone else see that?
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
March 9th, 2006 at 02:32pm
John Simm Is Love:
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:
It's not friendly when you don't care who england are playing as long as they loose.
It's just bigoted!

I don't mind anyway...Call it rivalry . I don't think it's a big deal. Get it out of your system with the football and the rugby.
Or jealousy. You guys have wayy better TV and music. Last good thing I saw on Irish telly was the Stardust documentary. Anyone else see that?

Nope. Lost was on Retard
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
March 11th, 2006 at 03:34pm
Incubus:
John Simm Is Love:
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:
It's just bigoted!

Nope. Lost was on Retard
Tut tut. It happened less than 5 minutes from my house. I was hanging out at the protest today.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
March 11th, 2006 at 09:21pm
John Simm Is Love:
Incubus:
John Simm Is Love:
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:
It's just bigoted!

Nope. Lost was on Retard
Tut tut. It happened less than 5 minutes from my house. I was hanging out at the protest today.

I know, I know, I'm hopeless...
Ahem [serious tone of voice] I heard your man who owned the stardust is trying to open another club, is that what you were protesting against?
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
March 12th, 2006 at 07:27am
Incubus:
John Simm Is Love:
Incubus:
John Simm Is Love:
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:
It's just bigoted!

Nope. Lost was on Retard

I know, I know, I'm hopeless...
Ahem [serious tone of voice] I heard your man who owned the stardust is trying to open another club, is that what you were protesting against?
Yes and he tried to open it on the anniversary. He's a fucking criminal, no fucking less. Bastard.
Register