BOOK: Catcher In The Rye

AuthorMessage
funky stripes
Idiot
funky stripes
June 13th, 2006 at 03:32pm
im reading it for my personal study in english (a book i chose, ans need to write an essay on) and the teacher reccomended it to the class AFTER i had already got it. I was so proud....

And yeah, i like it lots, i like the way he rambles onto side stories.
miau
King For A Couple Of Days
miau
June 15th, 2006 at 08:18am
That's one fucking great book! But the German version is shitty. Cool
JOOLS
Addict
JOOLS

Mibba Blog
December 21st, 2006 at 01:36am
hated it.
Diskoh
Falling In Love With The Board
Diskoh

Mibba
December 21st, 2006 at 01:08pm
Have yet to read it, but I would read it if I could. :]
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
December 21st, 2006 at 04:11pm
Miss Strange.:

Ugh. No..
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
December 21st, 2006 at 05:45pm
The greatest book ever written. Love it to death, I've read it like a billion times. tehe
Not So Perfect
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Not So Perfect
December 22nd, 2006 at 11:07pm
I love Catcher in the Rye, it's probably my favorite book.
miss world
Jackass
miss world
December 23rd, 2006 at 12:12am
I really don't read books that much. & people think that I love that sort of thing. but I don't. it's not that I don't like books or whatever, it's just that I'm too lazy to sit down and read one. but we had to read this for school & I fucking loved it. it sounds dumb, but I felt like I really understood him. like we have the same way of thinking. but I'm thankful that I'm not as depressed & confused as he is.

anyway, I really wish I read more. my brain's gonna go to waste when I'm older........
!! MISS SKELETON
Idiot
!! MISS SKELETON
December 23rd, 2006 at 01:47pm
Oh I did a book presentation on this for english.
I enjoyed it, but in some places found it rambled on a bit too much for my taste.
Good none the less though.
JCJP
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
JCJP
December 23rd, 2006 at 07:40pm
!! MISS SKELETON:
I enjoyed it, but in some places found it rambled on a bit too much for my taste.

The rambling parts are essential to the novel for the fact that the psychological character that is Holden is slowly deteriorating, he doesn't really believe or act on half of the things he says, so some small part of a sane person is left, but I find those to be the best parts in the fact that they show his slow slip into insanity.

Another amazing fact about the book is that in the end his sister is the only one that he can count on, he becomes almost juvenile in her presence. He tries to "look up" to someone in Mr. Antolini; but over the simple act of "Petting him" (which still incites much debate over what his purpose really was) makes him into a "flit" in Holden’s eyes, and then... by the end he realizes all of his mistakes, and leaves a lasting impression on all of us despite not being able to change anything.

The last chapter is one of the greatest in the history of literature.
!! MISS SKELETON
Idiot
!! MISS SKELETON
December 24th, 2006 at 08:39am
JCJP:
!! MISS SKELETON:

The rambling parts are essential to the novel for the fact that the psychological character that is Holden is slowly deteriorating, he doesn't really believe or act on half of the things he says, so some small part of a sane person is left, but I find those to be the best parts in the fact that they show his slow slip into insanity.

Another amazing fact about the book is that in the end his sister is the only one that he can count on, he becomes almost juvenile in her presence. He tries to "look up" to someone in Mr. Antolini; but over the simple act of "Petting him" (which still incites much debate over what his purpose really was) makes him into a "flit" in Holden’s eyes, and then... by the end he realizes all of his mistakes, and leaves a lasting impression on all of us despite not being able to change anything.

Oh I know I gathered that.
& I like the way he did that.
But some parts just got a bit confusing, reading it a second time helped though.
chump
chump
December 24th, 2006 at 10:33am
Make you Smile.:
Miss Strange.:

Ugh. No..

dont think so.
i read it 5 times... in german -.-
JCJP
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
JCJP
December 25th, 2006 at 04:22am
!! MISS SKELETON:
JCJP:
!! MISS SKELETON:

Oh I know I gathered that.
& I like the way he did that.
But some parts just got a bit confusing, reading it a second time helped though.

yeah thats pretty much how it went for me, it is a bit strange in the fact that its told from his perspective, and his perspective/grip on reality is less than accurate; so i really understand where youre coming from.

But it's definitely not one of the greatest novels of all time, i can think of maybe 2 or 3 better in only the 20th century (such as "Ulysses" by James Joyce, or "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, and "The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald), let alone all time.

Nonetheless a classic
TragicCaseofMyReality
King For A Couple Of Days
TragicCaseofMyReality
December 25th, 2006 at 09:43pm
I love this book, it is one of my favorites. Thats why i am scared for next year... we have to read it for english next year but i'm afraid its going to ruin the whole book for me. I hate when we have to analyze books. Its just like trying to analyze a song, it never means the same damn thing to everyone that reads it and if you interpret a part to mean something other than what the teacher did its wrong. Screw that.
marie9293
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
marie9293
January 11th, 2007 at 07:52pm
It's a brilliant book. One of my favorites, for sure.
Robbie
Robbie
January 12th, 2007 at 04:50pm
I think it's the single most overrated book from the last century. It's not the definitive 'coming of age' novel everybody believes it to be.

I only found this list last week, but Tucker Max agrees with me and recommends the same book I probably would.

http://www.tuckermax.com/archives/entries/the_tucker_max_reading_list.phtml

This Boys Life, Tobias Wolfe: Great. Simply put, Tobias Wolfe captures the feelings of every kid who feels lonely or shitty. MUCH BETTER than stupid ass Catcher in the Rye. I also highly recommend his other piece, Old School.

Read the rest of his list too, some excellent books on there.
Ghostie.
Geek
Ghostie.

Blog
February 3rd, 2007 at 09:02pm
I love this book! It is definatly one of my absolute favourites. =D I read it again a few months ago and laughed my ass off the entire time.
[Your Best Mistake]
Idiot
[Your Best Mistake]
February 9th, 2007 at 01:08pm
I love it, but especially the bit in the museum...where he'd like to put things into Glass boxes and keep them the way they are =)
The Evil Alchemist
Geek
The Evil Alchemist
February 12th, 2007 at 04:28pm
Definitely one of the greatest books ever written.
Buckfast Wine.
Buckfast Wine.
February 13th, 2007 at 08:59am
I'm doing it for my English Personal Study.
No idea if it's good yet though haha
Register