Nihilism

AuthorMessage
davey jones.
Falling In Love With The Board
davey jones.

Mibba Blog
March 27th, 2006 at 05:29pm
Nihilism is the belief that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated. It is often associated with extreme pessimism and a radical skepticism that condemns existence. A true nihilist would believe in nothing, have no loyalties, and no purpose other than, perhaps, an impulse to destroy. While few philosophers would claim to be nihilists, nihilism is most often associated with Friedrich Nietzsche who argued that its corrosive effects would eventually destroy all moral, religious, and metaphysical convictions and precipitate the greatest crisis in human history. In the 20th century, nihilistic themes--epistemological failure, value destruction, and cosmic purposelessness--have preoccupied artists, social critics, and philosophers. Mid-century, for example, the existentialists helped popularize tenets of nihilism in their attempts to blunt its destructive potential. By the end of the century, existential despair as a response to nihilism gave way to an attitude of indifference, often associated with antifoundationalism.

________

I think it's so...negative. It's carelessness to me. It would be like if you had no belief in bathing or health, then things would go VERY WRONG. (I hope that example made sense.)

And I would rather have faith and belief than none at all. I guess that's what keep society together...if society is even together at all.

What do you think?
maggoteen
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
maggoteen
March 28th, 2006 at 03:55am
It is very negative... but then I suppose there is something fundamentally flawed about human nature that looks at the negative rather than the positive. Why else are violent movies made? Why else would people play violent computer games, listen to violent music, etc.? I'm not condemning these people... I have listened to pretty violent music myself in my time... but I think there is something in the human psyche that is attracted to negative things. Taken to extremes, I suppose that would mean one would take the view that that life wasn't worth living and there was nothing to believe in.

I hope that made sense.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
March 28th, 2006 at 09:28am
Ok that sounds very interesting, good summary....but what are you asking people to discuss.

good?bad?chaos?

I'm perplexed.
paper shoes
This Board Is My Home
paper shoes
March 28th, 2006 at 11:35am
I've read that Trent from NIN is a true nihilist. XD
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
March 29th, 2006 at 12:23am
Harlequin Girl:

Trent is God

I think that it comes from people feeling so helpless so then in the end, they just stop caring.
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
March 29th, 2006 at 08:15am
Coff:
Harlequin Girl:

Trent is God

I think that it comes from people feeling so helpless so then in the end, they just stop caring.
I have his 'email'. I doubt it's him though.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 29th, 2006 at 10:04am
NeoSteph:
Ok that sounds very interesting, good summary....but what are you asking people to discuss.

good?bad?chaos?

I'm perplexed.

That summary can also be found here

http://www.iep.utm.edu/n/nihilism.htm

The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy is a good little website, i like it.

I'll come back with my opinion once I have found something to debate upon.
(Sic)
Idiot
(Sic)
March 29th, 2006 at 04:55pm
Bloodraine:
NeoSteph:

good?bad?chaos?

I'm perplexed.

That summary can also be found here

http://www.iep.utm.edu/n/nihilism.htm

The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy is a good little website, i like it.

I'll come back with my opinion once I have found something to debate upon.
Copy. And. Paste. -.-

I don't believe in God, or any religion, I beileve that everyone is created absolutly equil, including me and you and that mouse, or worm over there. Not believing in anything is lazyness, neglagentce (sp), and just a poor sence of direction. If I was a nihilist, then I would hate myself.
davey jones.
davey jones.

Mibba Blog
March 29th, 2006 at 06:05pm
NeoSteph:

good?bad?chaos?

I'm perplexed.

Just veiws, questions, answers...just talk/argue about what they think of it.

And that summary wasn't mine, I don't take credit for things that I did not do. I guess I should've posted the link.
hidude10
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
hidude10
March 30th, 2006 at 05:36pm
I don't beileve in God or any religon. I don't knwo how you couldn't believe in anything, though.
(Sic)
Idiot
(Sic)
March 30th, 2006 at 05:52pm
[off topic] We are just organisims on a planet, that have gotten cocky and made up these 'beliefs' and 'religions'. If there was a God wouldn't the animals know too, I mean, there just like us, animals.[/off topic]
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 31st, 2006 at 10:05am
^|blink-182|^:
[off topic] We are just organisims on a planet, that have gotten cocky and made up these 'beliefs' and 'religions'. If there was a God wouldn't the animals know too, I mean, there just like us, animals.[/off topic]

How do you know they don't? Confused
Kitti
Kitti
March 31st, 2006 at 12:25pm
^|blink-182|^:

Okay.
Prove that we exist.
Prove this place exists.
Prove animals exist.

The beauty of philosophy is that you can't prove any of those things. I can't use math or science to say that I exist or Earth exists or if this is all some dream of a unicellular organism at the dawn of time.
There is no reality.
But that doesn't mean it's possible to believe in nothing. In fact, it is wholly impossible. By believing in nothing, you take a stance on an issue. A moral position. Belief.
By supporting violence and destruction you support a belief.
To be a Nihilist is to believe in nothing. You'd have to spend your whole life in complete indecision and inaction.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
March 31st, 2006 at 01:46pm
Reality is basically based on memories and experiences.
How do we prove those memories and experiences are real?
Emotions
How do we prove those emotions are real?

My oh my, I could go on forever.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
March 31st, 2006 at 02:08pm
I think everyone should believe in something. Belief gives you hope, I don't care if it's one God, thirteen Gods or the snake that lives in your toilet. Belief gets you through hard times. If I didn't have my generally sunny attitude (plus a healthy snarky demeanor) I'd be lying on the floor twitching. Life's too big and crazy to go through it muttering about how you can't believe in anything and how everything sucks.
(Sic)
Idiot
(Sic)
March 31st, 2006 at 07:57pm
dirtyhippie:
I think everyone should believe in something. Belief gives you hope, I don't care if it's one God, thirteen Gods or the snake that lives in your toilet. Belief gets you through hard times. If I didn't have my generally sunny attitude (plus a healthy snarky demeanor) I'd be lying on the floor twitching. Life's too big and crazy to go through it muttering about how you can't believe in anything and how everything sucks.
Don't make fun of my snake!!

No really, don't.

Got cha!

Very well put.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
April 1st, 2006 at 05:38pm
lmfao
To be honest, I got the snake idea from Alan Moore, the British comics writer who worships the snake in his toilet...or so he says.

Muchas gracias at any rate!
PCG
Jackass
PCG

Mibba Blog
December 22nd, 2008 at 06:59pm
Gerard Way said that he had a very nihilistic attitude.
At least now I know what that means. Dno
wild at heart
Idiot
wild at heart

Blog
December 27th, 2008 at 07:38am
i think nihilsm is probably a belief that actually has something true and real at its basis. I mean is there like any proof that this world actually exists, that it's not an illusion, how do you know it's real? how do you know you're real? you can't prove these things.
I think people reject nihilism for the main reason that it's not as positive as other beliefs, there's nothing happy in it but i guess that;s pretty much the point.
And i don't believe that it supports violence or whatever, it just encourages people to be free and do what they want, but everyone takes the negative side of that.
PCG
Jackass
PCG

Mibba Blog
December 27th, 2008 at 01:03pm
tapeworm:
everyone takes the negative side of that.

Everyone takes the negative side of everything.
Register