Respect.

AuthorMessage
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
April 1st, 2006 at 11:27am
Is it possible to encourage respect?
Can a culture of respect be introduced?

The British government has made respect a major theme for its third term in office.

Prime Minister, Tony Blair claims that individuals need to work with law makers and law enforcers to make a difference to their communities.

Do we show enough respect for each other? Do community organisations have a role to play in encouraging respect? Should governments be involved in promoting better community relations? Send us your comments and experiences.

Taken from http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?threadID=886&&&&edition=1&ttl=20060401172243

I think respect is definatly a two way thing. I show respect to everyone I meet, until they show me none.
I think respect is one of the main things that needs to be sorted out in the world. I mean, imagine it where everyone respected each other...doesn't mean we wouldn't argue or anything like that, but it would be so much..nicer. Lol.

What are your opinions on this?
Spirit Of '77
Spirit Of '77
April 1st, 2006 at 12:19pm
i think asking for everyone to respect each other is liking asking for world peace. it wont happen until we all die or all decide to become hippies.
!nsomn!ac punk
Jackass
!nsomn!ac punk
April 1st, 2006 at 01:38pm
Respect is something everyone don't have.
Many people do and many people don't.
We can't change that.
VF Lover!
King For A Couple Of Days
VF Lover!
April 1st, 2006 at 02:25pm
No, most people have basically no respect. If we all had respect for each other, there wouldn't be pollution, physical hatred, and such. Not gonna happen. You'll always have those disrespectful, discriminative bastards out there.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
April 1st, 2006 at 05:35pm
You can't force people to be respectful. It should be encouraged, but unfortunately you can't do anything other than ask them to be respectful. Some people like to be dicky. The Kingdom of Loathing (www.kingdomofloathing.com) has a board where the flame-fest threads get sent. It's populated by people who like to flame people and call them retarded.

People should be civil, but if they don't, there's unfortunately nothing you can do...dammit.
Togepi.
Togepi.
April 1st, 2006 at 06:20pm
I agree with the above opinions... a whole country where everyone has absolute respect for each other is a little too optimistic. But I think that respect is a matter which needs to be looked at, in all generations not just young people. I try to show people as much respect as I can but it proves very difficult when someone shows no respect to me. And I think this has got worse as time has gone on. For example when I was in year 7, I was terrified of the sixth formers and looked up to them.. now it seems that most of the year 7s in the school think they own the place, and as a sixth former myself, I can safely say that very few of them have any respect for anyone, even the teachers. This lack of respect is also present in adults as well as young people.
I don't think that this issue should be completely dissmissed because it is "overly optimistic". I think that it does need to be tackled to at least reduce this obnoxious attitude that many people seem to have. But it is also obvious that there will always be some people who will never show respect to anyone, but they will learn that if they show no respect, none will be shown to them.
robotchicken.
robotchicken.

Mibba
April 1st, 2006 at 09:22pm
I show respect to people if they show respect to me. Im still trying to respect my reading teacher. She said that all kids "Should get on their knees and kiss adults hands." I dunno, but unless an adult decides to get down on their knees and kiss my hand Im not doing it >_<
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
April 1st, 2006 at 09:22pm
I show respect to everyone. If someone wishes that I don't talk about a subject, I don't. I say please, and thank you. I say thank you to the lady that stops the cars when I cross the street.

Its just, what should be done. I think everyone should be brought up to do that, and unfortuantly, many aren't.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
April 2nd, 2006 at 06:37pm
respect is somthing that i give blindly but if people upset me or hurt me i can no longer respect them.

i also say thanks to the traffice lady in the morning and i say please and thankyou to people who serve me in shops because a little please and thankyou goes a long way in making people smile and making people smile is a good thing.
Hippy-Faggot-Punk-Rocker
Jackass
Hippy-Faggot-Punk-Rocker
April 2nd, 2006 at 06:46pm
Respect????????

Hmmmmm...............

Gotta EARN it.......some LOSE it......

...disrespect Syd and face my fucking dark side

.....once you're on MY sHIT List........ain't NO going BACK, sunshine...

H-F-P-R
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
April 2nd, 2006 at 07:08pm
All the crap about school teachers expecting us to respect them, without them showing us respect, is bullshit.

Like Syd said, you have to earn respect.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 2nd, 2006 at 08:44pm
Respect is earned, not given, so I think this is pointless. "Respect me, the government said so." That isnt going to solve much at all, if anything it will create new issues.

On the other hand, respect is lost in some deep dark void for alot of people. Especially to parents, and I know I'm guilty. ALL the things they do for you, put up with you, feed you, ect. They should be given respect blindly. There is always exceptions to that though, like I will never have respect for my Father ever, He left along time ago and pops up whenever he finds it convienent, that is not a way to earn respect.

I hate the term respect your elders, because they dont always deserve it. Murders, corrupt business men, drug dealers, they're all my elders, but should I respcet them? I think not, and the government shouldnt be able to tell me that.

I politeness and respect are different. There is never a reason to be rude to someone (even if they're rude to you first, don't stopp to their level) but respect is more than that, and there is a very little amount left today, its rather sad actually.
Hippy-Faggot-Punk-Rocker
Jackass
Hippy-Faggot-Punk-Rocker
April 3rd, 2006 at 04:10am
I_worship_tre_Cool:

On the other hand, respect is lost in some deep dark void for alot of people. Especially to parents, and I know I'm guilty. ALL the things they do for you, put up with you, feed you, ect. They should be given respect blindly.

COUGH*BULLSHIT*Ahem...

....parents are NO goddamned eXCEPTION

Just 'cause They brought you HERE.......ain't NO guarantee they're gonna treat you
like their OWN.......Hell, to be seen as a fucking hUMAN BEING
is a fucking STRETCH for 'em.........

.....blind respect.....fuck, NO....

....Kids....are NOT goddamn PROPERTY.....
neglect them....abuse them....take out your frustrations on 'em......
......and hey, WHO CARES!?!?!....YOU'RE THE PARENT SO THEY GOTTA RESPECT YA??????

FUCK that shit...

They are Just bricks in the wall.....

H-F-P-R
cabot gal
GSBitch
cabot gal

Mibba
April 3rd, 2006 at 05:47am
You dont have to earn my respect. I start off with respect for everyone but they can lose my respect.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 3rd, 2006 at 11:09am
I_worship_tre_Cool:
They should be given respect blindly.

I don't think anyone should be given blind respect, nobody.

Blindness (metaphorically) is more dangerous than anything else in the world.

With me, respect is something that we would all have in an ideal world, but in the real one, it isn't going to happen. I often try to give it, and do my best to earn it, but if you don't give it to then expect none back.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
April 3rd, 2006 at 11:16am
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Respect is earned, not given, so I think this is pointless. "Respect me, the government said so." That isnt going to solve much at all, if anything it will create new issues.

On the other hand, respect is lost in some deep dark void for alot of people. Especially to parents, and I know I'm guilty. ALL the things they do for you, put up with you, feed you, ect. They should be given respect blindly. There is always exceptions to that though, like I will never have respect for my Father ever, He left along time ago and pops up whenever he finds it convienent, that is not a way to earn respect.

I hate the term respect your elders, because they dont always deserve it. Murders, corrupt business men, drug dealers, they're all my elders, but should I respcet them? I think not, and the government shouldnt be able to tell me that.

I politeness and respect are different. There is never a reason to be rude to someone (even if they're rude to you first, don't stopp to their level) but respect is more than that, and there is a very little amount left today, its rather sad actually.

i lost ALL respect for my mum and dad when i was very little, they can rot in the dark pits of hell as far has i am concerned.
Misanthropist
Post Whore
Misanthropist
April 3rd, 2006 at 01:14pm
I do think respect should be given until there's a reason not to give it..but it isn't likely to happen. In school especially kids and teenagers alike give little to no respect to their peers and superiors. Bullying or teasing is a big part of school. And on the internet there's tons of flaming and not much effort in trying to be respectful. Everywhere you go almost there's someone that isn't going to give respect, even if it's deserved.

I basically don't think that the government can do anything about that. Everyone just isn't going to change.
Biffy Clyro
Basket Case
Biffy Clyro
April 3rd, 2006 at 01:19pm
you should respect others, but it rarely happens like that. even myself, i dont sometimes. and i think the same applies to everyone. the age old saying of "treat others how you'd like to be treated yourself" kind of applies here. never works though...
Amanda
Basket Case
Amanda
April 3rd, 2006 at 05:02pm
Spirit Of '77:
i think asking for everyone to respect each other is liking asking for world peace. it wont happen until we all die or all decide to become hippies.
I think the same. My parents always complain about me not respecting them. I don't respect anyone, Really.
Siobhan
Geek
Siobhan
April 4th, 2006 at 02:36am
Respect is a hard thing to gain. And it doesnt happen easily. But wanting respect is better then not. You cant just ask for it though, i mean, it has to be earned.

I have respect for people, because they dont do stupid things, or act bitchy or anything like that. And they make the right decisions, and are good. Smile
Register