Dress codes

AuthorMessage
Peter Petrelli
King For A Couple Of Days
Peter Petrelli
October 25th, 2006 at 12:40pm
I go to one of the only 6th form colleges in Staffordshire that make their students wear uniform. You get sent home if you wear trainers, guys HAVE to wear ties, and you can't wear heels more than a couple of inches.

To be honest, I don't care about dress codes. I don't need to express individuality through clothes, I can do that myself.

In the workplace it's understandable, I guess. Good impressions count in business, but they shouldn't for schools.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
October 25th, 2006 at 05:43pm
If you guys think Dress Codes cut down on bullying, you're wrong. There will always be kids that are ignorant, who pick on someone else, regardless of the clothes they wear.
Skullivan.[Im Not Okay]
Geek
Skullivan.[Im Not Okay]
October 26th, 2006 at 08:42pm
We have uniforms at our school. It sucks. I try and be a little bit individual by putting badges all over my blazer lepels but i just get in trouble.
Dress codes okay. Uniforms. NO
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
October 28th, 2006 at 12:20am
I go to a Catholic School and we wear uniforms. But it's not that bad. The girls get a chose between a skirt or pants. The pants can be black, navy blue, grey or kaki. And a white or powder blue button-up shirt. The guys can wear pants that are black, navy blue, or kaki and white or powder blue button-up shirt with a tie. The tie can have anything on it. And we all have to wear dress shoes. We can wear nail polish of any color: black and lime green are my favorites. We can wear any kind of jewelry or belts. I wear wristbands and stuff. I even wear a studded belt. And every once in awhile we have tag days, where we can wear jeans and tennis shoes. I would rather wear uniforms though. Every morning I can get dressed fast. On tag days I'm like,"What should I wear?" I don't konw what to wear!" This just make it easier to choose. And we all look the same so no one can make fun of another person for their clothles. It just make things easier.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
October 28th, 2006 at 05:45am
Uniforms were a pain in the ass for me. I used to have to walk in my knee high skirt and my black, leather, heeled shoes, five kilometres to school and back in -20 oC. Not at all nice. Clothes can be a form of self-expression and it's not nice to limit that.

A couple years ago, I went to an arts school where you could wear whatever you wanted because they said it showed creativity and self expression. So in the winter sometimes people would come in bikinis, just because to make them feel more summery, and people would usually come to school in bath robes or their pjs if they were lazy. You could drape yourself in plastic wrap if you wanted, just no nudity really. Those days were fun. On really bad days, I'd just pour fake blood everywhere and come to school like that and tell no one to mess with me cause I was feeling pissy.
stilinski
King For A Couple Of Days
stilinski

Blog
October 28th, 2006 at 11:35am
We have a uniform at school.

But I rarely hear people complaining about it. Alright, sometimes people comlain that having the shirt buttonned up all the way [except one button] is too much. And people ''Forget'' their shoes sometimes so they can wear sneakers. But that's not too bad, considering we have a really strict uniform. [We basically have no piece of our own clothing on us, except some jewelry. And underwear. Y'know.]

I don't think it represses my originality all that much. And anyway: I go to school for about 7 hours on 24 and only 5 days a week. I still can express myself on weekends and after school, now, can't I?

That's my thought.
gd'sDiana
Geek
gd'sDiana
October 28th, 2006 at 01:13pm
in my school we use uniforms, because about 3 years ago, well, my school had no dress code, and the kids, girls especially crossed the line, so when i got into the school they already were wearing the uniforms, so
conclusion
We should dress like we want to but withouth corossing the line.
guitars_are_sexy
Geek
guitars_are_sexy
November 3rd, 2006 at 03:53pm
i think that uniforms suck, but there should be some dress codes so that people dont come in dressed like whores
our school has some stupid rules like no wristbands or dog collars
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
November 3rd, 2006 at 04:16pm
guitars_are_sexy:
i think that uniforms suck, but there should be some dress codes so that people dont come in dressed like whores
our school has some stupid rules like no wristbands or dog collars

i bet those ''whores'' think the rules against what they want to wear are stupid aswell
(i'm assuming you want to wear dog collars/wristbands)
Drops of Jupiter
Idiot
Drops of Jupiter
November 3rd, 2006 at 04:46pm
I think there should be uniforms because if you say that you can wear what you want but as long as it's not "too extreme", it's impossible to draw the line on what's "extreme" and what isn't. plus, looking smart makes you feel smart and keeps you in a sensibleISH mood for learning
Masterbation lost its fun
Banned
Masterbation lost its fun
November 3rd, 2006 at 10:37pm
i like the no uniform dress i dea but i see the point of view for the uniforms
guitars_are_sexy
Geek
guitars_are_sexy
November 6th, 2006 at 05:27pm
yeah,but seriously, do you want girls running around without any decent clothes?
as it is, i see more than i want to
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
November 6th, 2006 at 05:58pm
guitars_are_sexy:
yeah,but seriously, do you want girls running around without any decent clothes?
as it is, i see more than i want to

but thats your opinion.
they think they look decent
like i said when i quoted you before ... i bet they don't like what you wear either
guitars_are_sexy
Geek
guitars_are_sexy
November 7th, 2006 at 08:44pm
what i mean is that i dont need to see down peoples shirts or up their skirts
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
November 8th, 2006 at 07:11am
maybe people don't want to see your dog collars and wristbands

(or whatever it was you were complaining about not being abl to wear)
wish_i_was_adie
Jackass
wish_i_was_adie

Mibba
November 9th, 2006 at 11:11pm
I think having uniforms is a good idea. I had to wear a uniform in high school and I eventually learned to appreciate it. Here's why:
1. you don't have to worry about what to wear, but at the same time can make the uniform your own via accessories, etc
2. Not everyone has a lot of money to buy their kids new clothes all the time. This way, they buy a few pairs of pants/skirts, shirts/sweaters, and their kid is set for years
3. People can be mean. This is sort of an extension of #2. Those with less money or less fashionable clothes (or even differing taste than the mainstream) don't have to worry about ridicule. It levels the playing field. It's one less thing for others to discriminate against

Plus, most schools with uniforms will have designated 'free dress days' where you can wear your own clothes.

When I first had to wear uniform I thought it was a bad idea. When I got to college and had to figure out what to wear all the time I started appreciating the uniform. It doesn't hinder individuality. You can still stand out personality-wise. Just my opinion . . .
Garrett Hanlund
This Board Is My Home
Garrett Hanlund

Mibba Blog
November 9th, 2006 at 11:20pm
I understand that there should be guidlines for dress, but I think uniforms are unessisary. I know it makes me feel unimportant and like everyone else. I think it makes kids feel trapped in a boring world and it makes school a less enjoyable experience.

That's just me...
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
November 9th, 2006 at 11:35pm
wish_i_was_adie:
I think having uniforms is a good idea. I had to wear a uniform in high school and I eventually learned to appreciate it. Here's why:
1. you don't have to worry about what to wear, but at the same time can make the uniform your own via accessories, etc
2. Not everyone has a lot of money to buy their kids new clothes all the time. This way, they buy a few pairs of pants/skirts, shirts/sweaters, and their kid is set for years
3. People can be mean. This is sort of an extension of #2. Those with less money or less fashionable clothes (or even differing taste than the mainstream) don't have to worry about ridicule. It levels the playing field. It's one less thing for others to discriminate against

Plus, most schools with uniforms will have designated 'free dress days' where you can wear your own clothes.

When I first had to wear uniform I thought it was a bad idea. When I got to college and had to figure out what to wear all the time I started appreciating the uniform. It doesn't hinder individuality. You can still stand out personality-wise. Just my opinion . . .

I have to agree. Some of my friends, they would never be able to afford to keep on buying new outfits. The uniform is good, because it allows them to have maybe three sets of it, and that's all they need, all year.

And if you're complaining about how it stops you from showing your individuality, well, if you're truly individual, then your individuality doesn't stop at your dress sense, and you should be able to protray that, even while wearing a uniform.
Garrett Hanlund
This Board Is My Home
Garrett Hanlund

Mibba Blog
November 9th, 2006 at 11:40pm
Coff:
wish_i_was_adie:

I have to agree. Some of my friends, they would never be able to afford to keep on buying new outfits. The uniform is good, because it allows them to have maybe three sets of it, and that's all they need, all year.

And if you're complaining about how it stops you from showing your individuality, well, if you're truly individual, then your individuality doesn't stop at your dress sense, and you should be able to protray that, even while wearing a uniform.
I understand where you are coming from with that, but it also depends on your school. I know my school is concidering uniforms and a strict dress code with hair ect. We're not allowed to do anything extreme and such as it is, and when and if the uniforms come, accesories ect will not be allowed. I know you mean portraying indivuality in other ways but yes, I'm talking about at school.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
November 10th, 2006 at 12:42am
In Memory...:
I understand where you are coming from with that, but it also depends on your school. I know my school is concidering uniforms and a strict dress code with hair ect. We're not allowed to do anything extreme and such as it is, and when and if the uniforms come, accesories ect will not be allowed. I know you mean portraying indivuality in other ways but yes, I'm talking about at school.

At my school, you are only allowed to wear black leather shoes, the actual dress made by the company the school is with, white socks with a green stripe at the top, no jewlerey aside from one pair of earings and a simple silver or gold bracelet and necklace, no nail polish, no make up, and you're not alowed to do anything extreme with your hair, as in, you're not allowed to dye it unnatural colours, and you can just have it in simple hairstyles.

But that doesn't stop me from expressing my individuality..
Register