Aliens

AuthorMessage
vonny
Admin
vonny

Mibba Blog
June 13th, 2007 at 01:33am
About the other Universes theory:

Maybe, it's like Men In Black, I think the scene is at the very end of the movie. Or the very start. I can't remember. But it shows our Universe as just one of those sparkley marbles. Maybe that's true. Maybe our Universe is just a sparkley marble in a bag full of other sparkley marbles being used for a big game of Alien Marbles.

...Hope that makes sense. :]
redgreendayfan
Geek
redgreendayfan

Mibba Blog
June 13th, 2007 at 10:54am
i beleive in aliens, my uncle and his mate when they were younger apparently saw something like a spaceship down by a lake. my mums boyfriends friend has said he had contavct with an alien through his mind.
josh_oliday23
Geek
josh_oliday23
June 14th, 2007 at 12:01am
*Sigh* first crop circles are just a highly developed scam first instituted in England in the early 20th century. 2 men, using skillfully engineered mechanisms, formed the specific patterns. (Several years after the first ones appeared the 2 men came forward and gave a demonstration of how they created the circles.) Ever since then hundreds of copycat pranksters have created their own crop circles whether real or computer manufactured (as I believe the third picture with the alien face is).

Second, while the probability of extraterrestrial life is high, the probability that any aliens have ever visited earth is very small. I mean the universe is infinitely large as far as we know and we have barely seen 1/1000 of what we believe is our own galaxy. Hell, we discovered 3 new "planets" in just the past 5 years or so!!! Now I've always learned not to believe in something unless evidence is presented, and frankly no truely compelling evidence has come forward to convince me that aliens exist. Now that doesn't mean I won't ever believe, but at this point no, I don't believe in aliens.

Oh and finally, to people who keep saying that there is something more intelligent than us, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Human intelligence in only limited by what we have not learned through science and mathmatics. The only thing that would be smarter than us is some sort of "god-creature." Sure evolutionally speaking an alien could have extra organs or different color skin, but it can't be more intelligent, unless of course it has "ESP."
vonny
Admin
vonny

Mibba Blog
June 14th, 2007 at 01:00am
josh_oliday23:
*Sigh* first crop circles are just a highly developed scam first instituted in England in the early 20th century. 2 men, using skillfully engineered mechanisms, formed the specific patterns. (Several years after the first ones appeared the 2 men came forward and gave a demonstration of how they created the circles.) Ever since then hundreds of copycat pranksters have created their own crop circles whether real or computer manufactured (as I believe the third picture with the alien face is).

Second, while the probability of extraterrestrial life is high, the probability that any aliens have ever visited earth is very small. I mean the universe is infinitely large as far as we know and we have barely seen 1/1000 of what we believe is our own galaxy. Hell, we discovered 3 new "planets" in just the past 5 years or so!!! Now I've always learned not to believe in something unless evidence is presented, and frankly no truely compelling evidence has come forward to convince me that aliens exist. Now that doesn't mean I won't ever believe, but at this point no, I don't believe in aliens.

Oh and finally, to people who keep saying that there is something more intelligent than us, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Human intelligence in only limited by what we have not learned through science and mathmatics. The only thing that would be smarter than us is some sort of "god-creature." Sure evolutionally speaking an alien could have extra organs or different color skin, but it can't be more intelligent, unless of course it has "ESP."
Who's to say what we are is intelligent? Who's to say that other life forms in the Universe haven't discovered mathamatics and science? Who's to say that other lifeforms have developed their own version of maths and science that is more advanced than us?

You can't go saying we are the most intelligant forms of life in this Universe, because, the way I see it, it's rather narrow minded. Like you said, the Universe is infinitely large.

And, what about Alien sightings? Not every person claiming to see them can be false. Sure, the Universe is infinately large, and the chances of Aliens visiting us may be small. But, maybe they visit us because they can. We're just not that advanced yet.
josh_oliday23
Geek
josh_oliday23
June 14th, 2007 at 12:25pm
Ok I did not say that we are the most intelligent lifeforms (even if I did come off that way). All I was saying is that no being can be smarter than us just because they have bigger brains or what not. Everything in the universe can be proven or disproven by science and everything is testable with all results repeatable to a certain degree. Something may be smarter than us in the sense that they have discovered some sort or super propulsion or developed workable cryogenics, but it doesn't mean they are simply more intelligent than us. I know what I'm saying is kinda hard to understand and maybe it is just making sense in my own head, but that's why we have this forum I guess.

And as for all the people who have seen things, simple trick of the light, dementia, pure insanity, and even craving for attention can explain many if not all the sightings. Unless there is a massive coverup, someone should have come up with some proveable, unbiased evidence that aliens exist. I don't want to hear "Well my pop's mom's cousin's sister saw a light and it was aliens!!!!" Yeah....right.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 14th, 2007 at 01:56pm
And yet there is so much that science evades from us. Maybe there is another source of knowledge unknown to humans but from which aliens use to function and understand the universe. For example, there are many other forms of mathematics which can be used for different purposes. I doubt however that with different intellegences, either race can be compared.

Human brains have developed in such a way that we view our world in a strategically logical way. It is utterly possible that there are other undiscovered sciences though and I think it is highly unlikely that alien brains would evolve in such a way that they think exactly like us and could therefore surpass our knowledge.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 14th, 2007 at 01:59pm
vonny:
And, what about Alien sightings? Not every person claiming to see them can be false. Sure, the Universe is infinately large, and the chances of Aliens visiting us may be small. But, maybe they visit us because they can. We're just not that advanced yet.
It is much too dangerous for a distant race to just propell a group of their people vaguely towards our planet. But if that race has no moral value, then still. There are too many things that could and probably would go wrong. And it is just too far. Waaay too far.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 14th, 2007 at 02:04pm
Besides, what sort of 'intellegent' life form travels thousands of light years to make a crop circle in some obscure fam in Leicester?
vonny
Admin
vonny

Mibba Blog
June 15th, 2007 at 01:05am
Anji:
Besides, what sort of 'intellegent' life form travels thousands of light years to make a crop circle in some obscure fam in Leicester?
I don't believe in the whole crop circle thing. They look too man made, and yes, why on earth would aliens travel that far just to make crop circles?

But, maybe, sending troops to far off planets isn't dangerous for them. We're thinking about them like they're human. Sure, it would be dangerous for us. But not necessarily for them. *shrugs*
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 15th, 2007 at 01:46pm
vonny:
But, maybe, sending troops to far off planets isn't dangerous for them. We're thinking about them like they're human. Sure, it would be dangerous for us. But not necessarily for them. *shrugs*
How can that be? If they can live in our environment and it is suitable enough for them to survive in, doesn't it work vice versa. Man can breathe in water, fish can't breathe in air. Anyway, I doubt that if they can live in such an enivronment as ours, it is too coincidental beyond imagination. Evolution is a random process of survival of the fittest and in order for them to cope in our atmosphere, they must have evolved for it and it is highly unlikely that the environments of these two planets are going to be anywhere near similar.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 15th, 2007 at 02:46pm
Anji:
How can that be? If they can live in our environment and it is suitable enough for them to survive in, doesn't it work vice versa. Man can breathe in water, fish can't breathe in air. Anyway, I doubt that if they can live in such an enivronment as ours, it is too coincidental beyond imagination. Evolution is a random process of survival of the fittest and in order for them to cope in our atmosphere, they must have evolved for it and it is highly unlikely that the environments of these two planets are going to be anywhere near similar.

And what makes it coincidental or unlikely? We know practically nothing about the universe, we barely have our own solar system down. I don't think evolution is a random process, its pretty orderly actually. Random creatures don't evolve, the fittest and most suited do, how is that random? There could be millions and billions of planets just like Earth in the universe, or their could be none. We have no statistics or information to base statements like that on so I don't understand how you reached the conclusion that its very unlikely planets like Earth exist..
Comic tragedy
Idiot
Comic tragedy
June 15th, 2007 at 07:12pm
That was some interesting information/research on the crop circles.
I can't say that I don't believe in aliens.
In our world today, anything can go.
I agree with most of the people on here who say that we can't be the only lifeforms.
The universe is awefully large.
You never know.
Aliens could exist.

I think that the message is very...
The word for it escapes my mind at the moment.
But I believe that it is saying that, obviously, there is good out there.
People are just too caught up in the bad things to realize that.
It could be saying the aliens are good,
Or that they don't like us.

Whatever this all comes down to...
I'd like to be around when the mystery is solved.
It's just one of the millions of questions on Earth.
I would like to meet an alien though. =]
As long as it doesn't suck my brain out or inflict any type of harm to me or anyone else.
vonny
Admin
vonny

Mibba Blog
June 15th, 2007 at 09:18pm
I agree with Kurtni.

You can't rule anything out. The Universe is way to huge for us to know what it's like, and how other life forms survive.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 17th, 2007 at 02:33pm
Kurtni:
And what makes it coincidental or unlikely? We know practically nothing about the universe, we barely have our own solar system down. I don't think evolution is a random process, its pretty orderly actually. Random creatures don't evolve, the fittest and most suited do, how is that random? There could be millions and billions of planets just like Earth in the universe, or their could be none. We have no statistics or information to base statements like that on so I don't understand how you reached the conclusion that its very unlikely planets like Earth exist..
From what we do know, the construction of a planet is based on the star and the solar system, and then life, had it have been made, would evolve to suit that environment. Now considering the billions of stars that have been recorded, and almost none of them are remotely similar to our Sun, it's unlikely.

And evolution is a random process, but it doesn't seem like it because it is the fittest which survive. In that way it isn't random, however considering that in order to evolve, the species must experience an array of infinite different possibilities in growth or chemically to whatever part of it is evolving until the right one comes along, it is very random. Because genetic mutation is a random process, evolution is also partly random.

I am basing my theory on my knowledge of space and life and chemistry. Sure I know it's probably stupid, but it's what I believe. I mean, Fred Hoyle had a stupid theory about the Big Bang even with all the evidence and the static radiation and calculations that had been done.
ree-ee-annan
King For A Couple Of Days
ree-ee-annan
June 17th, 2007 at 02:36pm
I don't know what I believe tbh.

I think their is life out there, but then at times, I don't.
I suppose we'll never know until we move to the moon or something.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 17th, 2007 at 04:02pm
Anji:
Kurtni:
From what we do know, the construction of a planet is based on the star and the solar system, and then life, had it have been made, would evolve to suit that environment. Now considering the billions of stars that have been recorded, and almost none of them are remotely similar to our Sun, it's unlikely.

And evolution is a random process, but it doesn't seem like it because it is the fittest which survive. In that way it isn't random, however considering that in order to evolve, the species must experience an array of infinite different possibilities in growth or chemically to whatever part of it is evolving until the right one comes along, it is very random. Because genetic mutation is a random process, evolution is also partly random.

I am basing my theory on my knowledge of space and life and chemistry. Sure I know it's probably stupid, but it's what I believe. I mean, Fred Hoyle had a stupid theory about the Big Bang even with all the evidence and the static radiation and calculations that had been done.

You're acting like the stars we can reach are all that matters and that isn't true. There is so much out there we haven't discovered, we have no way of knowing whats likely and what isn't. You're just making guesses, and you can't pretend like those are facts. And we have found stars similar to our sun, like you said not many, but so what? They do exist in just this tiny part of the universe we can study.

Actually, many scientists don't agree with you there. Those atoms and molecules don't just arange themselves randomly in the first place, according to them. If you want to look at this from a chemists point of view, atoms and molecules order themselves not purely randomly, but by their chemical properties. This applies to carbon atoms especially. Complex molecules form spontaneously, and then these complex molecules can influence each other to create even more complex molecules. Once a molecule forms that is approximately self-replicating, natural selection will guide the formation of ever more efficient replicators. Once again, these aren't facts, and you can't argue them as if they were. Evolution is only a theory, it isn't even a fact and we can't treat it like it is.

Thats the problem with your theory, our knowledge of space is much too limited to form a theory like that based off insuficient information. Im not saying you don't know anything about space or chemistry, you obviously know quite a bit, but you don't know nearly enough to make theories about the enitre universe.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 18th, 2007 at 01:03pm
Kurtni:
Anji:

You're acting like the stars we can reach are all that matters and that isn't true. There is so much out there we haven't discovered, we have no way of knowing whats likely and what isn't. You're just making guesses, and you can't pretend like those are facts. And we have found stars similar to our sun, like you said not many, but so what? They do exist in just this tiny part of the universe we can study.

Actually, many scientists don't agree with you there. Those atoms and molecules don't just arange themselves randomly in the first place, according to them. If you want to look at this from a chemists point of view, atoms and molecules order themselves not purely randomly, but by their chemical properties. This applies to carbon atoms especially. Complex molecules form spontaneously, and then these complex molecules can influence each other to create even more complex molecules. Once a molecule forms that is approximately self-replicating, natural selection will guide the formation of ever more efficient replicators. Once again, these aren't facts, and you can't argue them as if they were. Evolution is only a theory, it isn't even a fact and we can't treat it like it is.

Thats the problem with your theory, our knowledge of space is much too limited to form a theory like that based off insuficient information. Im not saying you don't know anything about space or chemistry, you obviously know quite a bit, but you don't know nearly enough to make theories about the enitre universe.
We can't reach the stars that are even the closest to us. And I do no nothing about space and chemistry as much as anyone else on this site. This is just a theory based on my own ideas and the facts which I happen to know. And the fact is that with thousands of light years between us and the closest planets that could carry life, any life form on it probably wouldn't be able to reach Earth, and should it, this is where theory comes in, I am guessing the differences between both planets would be much too great that the creature or whatever couldn't cope on our planet or in our atmosphere.

Also, a deviation in genes is a random process. The arrangement of molecules isn't and I know that. They are two very different subjects which only come into contact with each other in DNA. But for a mutation, any gene in any of the 46 chromosones could be affected, that is random. I don't understand what you mean by 'self-replicating' molecules. I used the word 'chemically' in what could be affected in the body by evolution because for example, insulin might not be produced, a chemical change, not actually chemicals changing by evolution. Because that doesn't make sense.

Also, I disagree with evolution only being a theory. It is a fact, on that you and I and everyone else on this Earth has witnessed. One summer, a riverside is full of white lupins and very few blue ones. The next summer, almost all the lupins are now blue. That is evolution. It exists and it is fact.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 18th, 2007 at 01:17pm
Anji:
We can't reach the stars that are even the closest to us. And I do no nothing about space and chemistry as much as anyone else on this site. This is just a theory based on my own ideas and the facts which I happen to know. And the fact is that with thousands of light years between us and the closest planets that could carry life, any life form on it probably wouldn't be able to reach Earth, and should it, this is where theory comes in, I am guessing the differences between both planets would be much too great that the creature or whatever couldn't cope on our planet or in our atmosphere.

Also, a deviation in genes is a random process. The arrangement of molecules isn't and I know that. They are two very different subjects which only come into contact with each other in DNA. But for a mutation, any gene in any of the 46 chromosones could be affected, that is random. I don't understand what you mean by 'self-replicating' molecules. I used the word 'chemically' in what could be affected in the body by evolution because for example, insulin might not be produced, a chemical change, not actually chemicals changing by evolution. Because that doesn't make sense.

Also, I disagree with evolution only being a theory. It is a fact, on that you and I and everyone else on this Earth has witnessed. One summer, a riverside is full of white lupins and very few blue ones. The next summer, almost all the lupins are now blue. That is evolution. It exists and it is fact.

Why do you think they wouldn't be able to reach us, you know nothing about them. And exactly my point, you're guessing. You're making guesses about planets we know nothing about, which pretty much makes them pointless guesses because you have no facts to base them off of. O_O and I said "self replicating" talking about DNA replication. Pretty self explanatory. If you want to think evolution is a fact, you're allowed to think whatever you'd like. I'll go with the rest of the professional, modern scientific community who still treats it as a theory. I do believe in evolution, but Im not going to pretend its a hardcore fact when it hasnt been proven.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 18th, 2007 at 01:40pm
Too many statements to answer. Cheese
Kurtni:
Why do you think they wouldn't be able to reach us, you know nothing about them.
Because the amount of fuel required to transport something thousands of light years is too much. And with too many unknown obsticles like gravitational pulls which could possibly interfere with the trajectory of the craft, it would be a crazy job, costing maybe trillions of Earth dollars, with a probability of a positive outcome of about 0.001%. To find Earth from millions of billions of miles away would be like someone on Earth spotting someone on Jupiter striking a match, with their naked eye.

Kurtni:
And exactly my point, you're guessing. You're making guesses about planets we know nothing about, which pretty much makes them pointless guesses because you have no facts to base them off of.
What would science be without guesswork? Richard Feynman once said, 'First you guess...this is the most important step.' Although I disagree a whole lot with his contributions, he was right in this sense.

Kurtni:
O_O and I said "self replicating" talking about DNA replication. Pretty self explanatory.
I was thinking of molecule replication, not cell replication. My bad.

Kurtni:
If you want to think evolution is a fact, you're allowed to think whatever you'd like. I'll go with the rest of the professional, modern scientific community who still treats it as a theory.
My dad studied at Edinbrugh, Penarth, Petawawa, Pembroke, and has done extensive research on ecology. Docterates, degrees, whatever you get for that subject, he has one of them and he was the very first person to teach me about evolution and at all those places he's worked at, evolution is fact. I still don't know how you can dispute evolution and as far as I know, every teacher, tutor, and lecturer I've ever had in biology has told me that evolution is real. Unless I'm part of some elaborate practical joke, that is all I have ever been told and those are the facts I have always believed.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 18th, 2007 at 01:52pm
Anji:
Because the amount of fuel required to transport something thousands of light years is too much. And with too many unknown obsticles like gravitational pulls which could possibly interfere with the trajectory of the craft, it would be a crazy job, costing maybe trillions of Earth dollars, with a probability of a positive outcome of about 0.001%. To find Earth from millions of billions of miles away would be like someone on Earth spotting someone on Jupiter striking a match, with their naked eye.

What would science be without guesswork? Richard Feynman once said, 'First you guess...this is the most important step.' Although I disagree a whole lot with his contributions, he was right in this sense.

I was thinking of molecule replication, not cell replication. My bad.

My dad studied at Edinbrugh, Penarth, Petawawa, Pembroke, and has done extensive research on ecology. Docterates, degrees, whatever you get for that subject, he has one of them and he was the very first person to teach me about evolution and at all those places he's worked at, evolution is fact. I still don't know how you can dispute evolution and as far as I know, every teacher, tutor, and lecturer I've ever had in biology has told me that evolution is real. Unless I'm part of some elaborate practical joke, that is all I have ever been told and those are the facts I have always believed.

Once again, you can't compare their planet to ours. They could have fuels that we couldn't even imagine. We can't make guesses like that, because you have no facts to make those gusses with. You don't even know if the lifeforms have a currency system, so you can't rule it out based on the cost in Earth dollars. And no, it wouldn't have to be like that. How do we know they havent already spotted Earth and planets beyond? We know nothing about their technology to make statements like that.

When you form a hypothesis, you do research and gather information to base your guess on. If you don't have that information available, then you can still make guesses, but you can't assume things we don't know. For example, you assuming that To find Earth from millions of billions of miles away would be like someone on Earth spotting someone on Jupiter striking a match, with their naked eye. would be assuming things. You have to keep an open mind, and take into consideration what we don't know when making accurate guesses.

Thats cool that you dad has done all that, but hes just one person. Many biologists believe in evolution, but there is a difference between believing in something and knowing it to be a fact. Its called the theory of evolution for a reason, not the law of evolution. You can not prove evolution, just like you can't prove creationism. They oppose each other and its a matter of opinion as to what you believe. Some people believe in both. Right now its just what you choose to believe.
Register