TragicCaseofMyReality
September 30th, 2009 at 07:44pm
here's my real list:

Nickelback
Katy Perry
Lady Gaga
miley cyrus
jonas brothers
the killers (first album was the best imo)
kayne west
simple plan
good charolette
Incubus (imo)
AAR (even though I do like them a bit)

honestly, imo I think Michael Jackson is overrated. I get that millions of people loved/love his music but I don't really understand why, at least to the extent that they do. I like Thriller as much as the next person, but I don't think he was all that and a bag of chips. and it has nothing to do with how after he died everyone went MJ crazy, I thought that before.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
September 30th, 2009 at 11:21pm
TragicCaseofMyReality:
Jay Tee:
You are all going on my list.

Don't make me quote my mammoth post again.

Hell, The Beatles and The Who are The BEST in my opinion. When I said a majority, I meant all. I could and would sing their praises all damn day. I just mean by the people who don't know any of their music. There seems to be a lot of people who say that The Beatles are their favorite and yet don't know anything about them. Which goes for a lot of bands, to be sure. but because The Beatles are just about the biggest and most well known, it might happen a bit more. Am I making any sense at all?

Yes. The Who and The Beatles are the best. I may think The Beatles are overrated, but I still consider them one of the great bands ever.
clark
GSBitch
clark
October 1st, 2009 at 07:34am
TragicCaseofMyReality:
here's my real list:

Nickelback
Katy Perry
Lady Gaga
miley cyrus
jonas brothers
kayne west
simple plan
good charolette
Incubus (imo)
wth though none of these are actually overrated ESPECIALLY THE LAST FOUR like i'm not into them or anything but they're hardly the talk of the town so in what way are they overrated?
TragicCaseofMyReality
King For A Couple Of Days
TragicCaseofMyReality
October 1st, 2009 at 08:32am
vanity whore:
TragicCaseofMyReality:
here's my real list:

Nickelback
Katy Perry
Lady Gaga
miley cyrus
jonas brothers
kayne west
simple plan
good charolette
Incubus (imo)
wth though none of these are actually overrated ESPECIALLY THE LAST FOUR like i'm not into them or anything but they're hardly the talk of the town so in what way are they overrated?

Incubus-on my local radio station KROQ, one of the main DJ's loves them and so they are overplayed. plus they played The Who Rock Honors thing last year and they shouldn't have imo. they aren't and weren't that good.

as for the others, they don't have to be the talk of the town currently to have been overrated when they were the talk of the town.

and again, this is pretty much all based on opinion. (besides the blindingly obvious). It's my opinion that they are, it's your opinion that they aren't.
Gem
Jackass
Gem
October 1st, 2009 at 04:09pm
*whispers* Lily Allen....
tomamazon
GSBitch
tomamazon

Mibba Blog
October 1st, 2009 at 04:10pm
TragicCaseofMyReality:
here's my real list:

Nickelback
Katy Perry
Lady Gaga
miley cyrus
jonas brothers
kayne west
simple plan
good charolette
Incubus (imo)

honestly, imo I think Michael Jackson is overrated. I get that millions of people loved/love his music but I don't really understand why, at least to the extent that they do. I like Thriller as much as the next person, but I don't think he was all that and a bag of chips. and it has nothing to do with how after he died everyone went MJ crazy, I thought that before.

opinions are opinions and it doesn't matter what you think of him, you can't take away from the fact that he was the world's greatest entertainer.
TragicCaseofMyReality
King For A Couple Of Days
TragicCaseofMyReality
October 1st, 2009 at 06:12pm
streetwalker:
TragicCaseofMyReality:
here's my real list:

Nickelback
Katy Perry
Lady Gaga
miley cyrus
jonas brothers
kayne west
simple plan
good charolette
Incubus (imo)

opinions are opinions and it doesn't matter what you think of him, you can't take away from the fact that he was the world's greatest entertainer.

yes, Opinions are opinions. in your opinion he was the best entertainer, in my opinion he wasn't. I'd say that The Beatles were or The Who or a number of other of my favorites (though the first two would probably hold more weight) but you could (and probably will) disagree with that. That's the great thing about opinions. they can differ. sure no doubt he (as a solo artist) was huge in the '80s/early '90s I'm not denying that, because it'd be stupid to do that. However, after that his court cases and marriages and hanging his kid over the balcany and life eclipsed his music. maybe not for you but for a majority of the general public it definitely did. who knows what would have happened if he was able to actually do that tour/release more music. the public loves comebacks even more than they love crashing and burning. It really is a shame, because 50 is definitely too young. I'm not denying he had an impact in the '80s, especially when people are still doing covers, if you say "the michael jackson thriller jacket" people know what you're talking about, his moonwalk and his glove ofcourse. It's just my opinion that he was overrated a bit. I'm sorry if that offends you, because that was not my intent.
Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
October 2nd, 2009 at 08:06am
Jay Tee:
chump:
what has being black and all that to do with being a good musician? we all should stop about skin colours 'cause the conversation about it just leads to more seperation
so heres the support: I agree with you, Northern Reject.
selling billions of records and having fans who follow you dont make you a good musician. of course now one should answer the question: what makes you a good musician? - that can never be answered 'cause its a subjective thing.
i think he was a good entertainer... and all. but its always the same when someone dies. people go crazy, run into cd shops and buy cds, though they didnt care about the artist before. its ridiculous. we all know he had great singles and? what about the other songs? im sure not half of the people know them. (i dont either.)
i went out on friday and they played 3 of his songs in the club. i never heard them there before. yea, its nice and people should remember him. and i also heard the news and thought: god, michael jacksons dead... its like when elvis died. (not that i was there when he died)

but all in all people make a big thing out of it and its always more of a media thing than anything else. i mean, come on: tickets for his funeral? the last picture of him in the ambulance? - thats a disgusting thing. they even had to take a pic of him dying!
and now that hes dead no ones allowed to say anything bad about him anymore and that sucks. people should be more honest and dont just follow the crowd and go buy michael jackson shirts etc. now...
its exactely the same with buying band shirts at H&M of bands you havent heard a single song from (ac/dc, rolling stones, led zeppelin), cause its "cool" to wear them. and now its cool to like michael jackson...

i love the beatles and elvis, but i also think that they are highly overrated. all the big bands mostly are...
i just say: lyrics (cause thats what matters to me @ good musician)

Alrighty...

First of all the fact that he extended his influence beyond that of music immediately makes race significant. Thanks to him, people began accepting coloured pop stars on channels, which was pretty much unheard of before. He's paved the way for pretty much every black person who has ever become a pop star since. Pretty big influence for someone who's supposedly incredibly over-rated.

The rest of your post pretty much rambles through the whole process of a superstar dying, and tbh I've heard most of it before. Nothing really original in there but I'll answer a few of your points.

A lot of people loved his music for yeas, just they hadn't bought every single album. They probably owned Thriller or Bad or a greatest hits but wanted to go out and sample his other stuff. Just because there's a huge surge in record sales doesn't mean people never cared when he was alive. He sold over 750 million records worldwide - more than even the Beatles. I'm pretty sure that's an indication that a lot of people cared.

By all means, say something bad about him, but if you're talking about him being over rated as an artist and an entertainer, then you're pretty much treading on ground you shouldn't be on. Yes, record sales don't always mean that the musician is brilliant. For example I still don't know why the latest Coldplay album has sold 8m copies... But then if you look at some of the super-selling albums of all time, then you're looking at some classic albums in there. Back In Black, Dark Side of the Moon, Sgt Peppers; true there's some that are not to everyone's taste and some strange inclusions, but the fact is that MJ has 5 albums in the top 75 biggest selling albums of all time, more than any other artist. A few bands might have one absolute mega-hit of an album, such as Linkin Park or Fleetwood Mac, but having FIVE in there must mean he was doing something right musically.

The thing about the album tracks continues on from my point about people rushing out to buy albums once someone dies. They've probably loved Michael Jackson in a smaller way for his whole career, perhaps only buying Thriller/Bad and a greatest hits and now realise just how much they like him and want to go and appreciate him more. Some of his singles really entered the public conciousness though - Billie Jean, Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, Smooth Criminal, Man in the Mirror, Leave Me Alone, Beat It, Bad, You Are Not Alone, Wanna Be Starting Something, The Way You Make Me Feel, She's Out of My Life, You Rock My World, Dirty Diana, Black Or White, Earth Song, They Don't Care About Us... jesus, just listing these songs made me realise again just how brilliant he really was. As for his album tracks, some of them are just as good. Get On the Floor, Dangerous, Can't Let Her Get Away... to be honest its harder to think of the album tracks simply because he ended up releasing pretty much every song from his albums and being successful with pretty much every one.

I agree with you that the whole media circus surrounding his death is disgusting though. They're using his death to dig up as much as they can about his private life to sell papers, which just isn't right. Just leave him alone ffs. The media always end up exploiting people that are famous, and perhaps this is what gives you your sense of him being over-rated. You're fed up with looking at front pages and headlines and only seeing MJ-related news, and thus you come on here and tell us all why he's over-rated. Well if you take him as a musician and an entertainer, which is what he was, then you'll find he's very far indeed from being over-rated.

You've made me quote myself. Consider yourself a marked man.
tomamazon
GSBitch
tomamazon

Mibba Blog
October 2nd, 2009 at 02:21pm
GET ON THE FLOOOOR HAHA WOOOO
AND DANCE WITH MEEEEEEEEE
I LUV THE WAY YOU SHAKE THAT THING JAAAMES
ESPECIALLYYYYYY
Forget The System
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Forget The System
January 3rd, 2010 at 07:27pm
Interesting heres mine:
-NickelBack
-Blink 182
-Jonas Brothers
-Metallica
-Black Eyed Peas
-Lady Gaga(not really a band but overatted all the same)
-Taylor Swift(do not kill me I just don't like her)

In my opinion I really beleive these are really overrated in everyway do not kill me just because you don't agree ok?
Newt.
Post Whore
Newt.
January 9th, 2010 at 02:30am
U2
Coldplay
Paramore
Jonas Brothers
Black Eyed Peas
Linkin Park
tomamazon
GSBitch
tomamazon

Mibba Blog
January 9th, 2010 at 07:51pm
Forget The System:
Interesting heres mine:
-NickelBack
-Blink 182
-Jonas Brothers
-Metallica
-Black Eyed Peas
-Lady Gaga(not really a band but overatted all the same)
-Taylor Swift(do not kill me I just don't like her)

In my opinion I really beleive these are really overrated in everyway do not kill me just because you don't agree ok?

lady gaga is massively talented Neutral
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
January 14th, 2010 at 11:51am
GreenDayHamster:
Linkin Park
No. Hand
Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
January 14th, 2010 at 02:23pm
Linkin Park were fantastic for two albums. Largely irrelevant now, but they were insanely good back in the day.

Hybrid Theory kicked it all off but Meteora is an absolute monster of a record. Might even slip it on now!
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
January 14th, 2010 at 11:53pm
Yeah, their last album wasn't quite as good as their first two, but I still wouldn't call them overrated. I know alot of people that don't even know who they are.
chump
Falling In Love With The Board
chump
January 16th, 2010 at 06:03pm
Jay Tee:
You've made me quote myself. Consider yourself a marked man.
*doesnt care*
Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
January 16th, 2010 at 07:00pm
That requote was aimed at the person's post above my one. Just so you know, like.
Tahm York
This Board Is My Home
Tahm York

Blog
January 16th, 2010 at 08:16pm
Kings of Leon.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
January 17th, 2010 at 02:08am
BelaFarinRod:
Kings of Leon.

yes
Chile D. Guy
Basket Case
Chile D. Guy
January 17th, 2010 at 10:18am
I know some people will want my head delivered on a plate for this, but I'll say it anyway: Paramore is very, very overrated for me.
Register