No Work At The 'Time Of The Month'?

AuthorMessage
I.Heart.Panic.
King For A Couple Of Days
I.Heart.Panic.
April 20th, 2006 at 10:42am
Hey, a while ago I heard someone on the radio discussing the possibility that when women are on their periods they don't have to go to work, but will still be paid and won't be fired because of their absense.
What do you think about this?
I can see both points of view. I mean, this is a good idea, in a way, because if a woman is on her period she might just take the day off anyway, or sit through it, which would be horrible. But, from a man's point of view this isn't very fair. They don't have periods [duh] so women will get more time off than them. And who says women won't just lie when they fancy a day off? And what exactly is the work force gonna do, put questions like "How heavy are your periods usually?" on the application form?
So do you think this is a good idea, or when the 'time of the month' arises, should women just deal with it, and get on with their jobs?
I don't think this is a duplicate but if it is feel free to lock/move/whatever =/
Woodrow Derenberger
Woodrow Derenberger
April 20th, 2006 at 10:46am
I'd love that. cause I get really bad cramps. I'd dont have a job yet, but I akways have to take the first day of my period of from school cause my cramps are so bad, I can barely stand up.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
April 20th, 2006 at 10:47am
I can see both sides of the argument Think
HunniPunk
Geek
HunniPunk
April 20th, 2006 at 10:49am
wow - I hadn't heard about this.

I personally think that it's ridiculous. people are going to lie and it's unfair on men in the workplace because they can't ring work and say 'sorry boss. erection problems.'
I do have sympathy for people with bad cramps etc but paid absence because of that is silly.
I.Heart.Panic.
I.Heart.Panic.
April 20th, 2006 at 10:50am
Fuck_America:
I'd love that. cause I get really bad cramps. I'd dont have a job yet, but I akways have to take the first day of my period of from school cause my cramps are so bad, I can barely stand up.

I'm the same. It's just the first day for me, very rarely the second...after that it's okay. But I mean, how can you concentrate when you're like that? I think a lot of people would take the day off anyway..
HunniPunk
Geek
HunniPunk
April 20th, 2006 at 10:54am
Waiting <3:
Fuck_America:

I'm the same. It's just the first day for me, very rarely the second...after that it's okay. But I mean, how can you concentrate when you're like that? I think a lot of people would take the day off anyway..

exactly. the idea would be great for people like you two who genuinely get bad cramps but I think that too many people would take advantage of a paid day off work.
Biffy Clyro
Basket Case
Biffy Clyro
April 20th, 2006 at 11:32am
as i'm not female, i doubt i'd properly be able to understand. but i always see it as whenever youre not feeling good for whatever reason, you shouldnt make a big fuss of it. you should just get on as usual.
Hippy-Faggot-Punk-Rocker
Jackass
Hippy-Faggot-Punk-Rocker
April 20th, 2006 at 11:38am
seems like a hypochondriac's PARADISE.......

.....get on with it, you fucking WIMPS

S.
Kitti
Kitti
April 20th, 2006 at 11:40am
downloadasexual:
as i'm not female, i doubt i'd properly be able to understand. but i always see it as whenever youre not feeling good for whatever reason, you shouldnt make a big fuss of it. you should just get on as usual.

Okay, Kitti agrees with Adam.
Cramps are part of being female. If they're worse than normal one day, or if I have something I really need to be alive for, I take ibuprofen or whatever and get on with it.
BUT I don't have cramps as bad as some people. And it's usually just my back. SO now you all know, even though you probably didn't want to.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
April 20th, 2006 at 11:40am
Get off of your lazy stinking arse, but a tampon and get back to work =]
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
April 20th, 2006 at 12:30pm
oh for christ sake whatever next, the world would fall down if all the women who had heavy periods and painful periods stop working, take some painkillers, stick up a tampon and get on with life.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
April 20th, 2006 at 12:48pm
Kitti:
downloadasexual:

Cramps are part of being female. If they're worse than normal one day, or if I have something I really need to be alive for, I take ibuprofen or whatever and get on with it.
BUT I don't have cramps as bad as some people. And it's usually just my back. SO now you all know, even though you probably didn't want to.

OMG ME TOO. My back, and my legs!
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
April 20th, 2006 at 12:56pm
Nine_Inch_Nails:
Kitti:
downloadasexual:

OMG ME TOO. My back, and my legs!

i dont have any pain now from my monthlys i've had an hysterectomy, but some women even after the operation have pain at the time pf they're periods. I still have pain but not from periods.
11th Street Kid
11th Street Kid
April 20th, 2006 at 01:03pm
Nooooo. Loads of people [like me] would take advantage of that idea. Many could easily lie about it... it's not like someone could check by ripping off your underwear. Plus, some people could get it twice a month and be accused of lying. If the pain's really bad... take some painkillers. If they don't work.. then I think it'd be ok to phone your boss and tell him/her that you're too ill to work.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
April 20th, 2006 at 02:33pm
I get really bad cramps but I don't bitch and moan, I get the fuck on with it. Granted if the cramps are particually bad I'll take the day off but I don't do it every month.
Misanthropist
Post Whore
Misanthropist
April 20th, 2006 at 05:53pm
I think the whole idea is stupid. It's just a period, no need to take days off for it. Unless it's a huge emergency, anyway. I also agree with what's said above, it could be taken advantage of very easily. People could lie about it because no one can check, really. And it's unfair to the men because the women get way more time off.
(Sic)
Idiot
(Sic)
April 20th, 2006 at 06:21pm
Women should have 4 days a month of 'natural sickness' time. You use it or loose it for the month. You people say, it's not fair for the men, well it's not fair for the women to even get their period in the first place.

Anyway, people get enough sick time in the first place.
girl almighty
GSBitch
girl almighty
April 20th, 2006 at 07:06pm
Seems stupid to me. Actually, more than stupid. It's not like periods are new, bloody hell. Yes, sometimes it's a bit miserable, but if your cramps are that bad see a doctor or else get on with it.
I seem harsh. But it's just periods.
stilinski
stilinski

Blog
April 20th, 2006 at 08:44pm
Three Nil:
Women should have 4 days a month of 'natural sickness' time. You use it or loose it for the month. You people say, it's not fair for the men, well it's not fair for the women to even get their period in the first place.

Anyway, people get enough sick time in the first place.

Good Idea. I agree.
davey jones.
davey jones.

Mibba Blog
April 20th, 2006 at 09:34pm
I think they need to suck it up.

And they could just pretend to get out of working.
Register