Radiohead

AuthorMessage
Rockman
Geek
Rockman
February 2nd, 2007 at 11:27pm
(sigh) I used to like Radiohead (I remember being pissed when Steely Dan beat them for the grammy for album of the year in 2001), but over the years, I've grown to REALLY despise them. However, I have a small interest in the song "Fake Plastic Trees", because of its appearance on Beavis and Butt-head:

Funky Platypus
Idiot
Funky Platypus

Blog
February 3rd, 2007 at 12:53am
Out of curiosity... there's a pretty big debate with Muse and Radiohead... people think that Muse rips off Radiohead, and... blah blah blah...

I've never gotten myself into the debate, because... well, it gets too annoying and I'd just rather listen to Muse and let myself listen to Radiohead whenever I decide to download some of their music XD
Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
February 3rd, 2007 at 08:01am
Funky Platypus:
Out of curiosity... there's a pretty big debate with Muse and Radiohead... people think that Muse rips off Radiohead, and... blah blah blah...

I've never gotten myself into the debate, because... well, it gets too annoying and I'd just rather listen to Muse and let myself listen to Radiohead whenever I decide to download some of their music XD

If you listen to Muse's first album then there are some striking similarities... I also seem to think of Jeff Buckley a lot when I listen to a few on the songs on Showbiz too. But for me, Muse have always been heavier than Radiohead. Radiohead's most extreme 'out-there' sort of stuff is based around simplicity and electronica, while Muse just layer everything on top of everything and aim for the 'Yes' route of prog-rock with the piano solos etc. For me, Radiohead are the more innovative and original of the two, but Muse are the more radical.

There's only a debate because people decide to group everything into everything else and because the two bands have or still are playing prog rock-type songs, they're both classed as prog. Prog ranges from the van der Graaf Generator, King Crimson sorta twiddlyness to the more straight-forward stuff that Muse used on Black Holes and even via prog metal like Mastodon who rely on heavy riffs and concepts... You can't really group these bands together because they are all so different... Its best, as you say, just to sit back and enjoy the music.
Fox
King For A Couple Of Days
Fox
February 4th, 2007 at 11:02am
I only know Creep and My Iron Lung. Molly

But they rawk. Cool
Micro Sheep
Falling In Love With The Board
Micro Sheep
February 4th, 2007 at 02:12pm
i only know Street Spirit.which i love Retard
do_da_da
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
do_da_da
February 13th, 2007 at 06:43pm
I really love the Wish You Were Here album, but my favorite song by them has to be Creep.
GD Addicts Anonymous
GD Addicts Anonymous
February 13th, 2007 at 11:59pm
Creep is a great song.
FCPSITSGEPGEPGEPanda
FCPSITSGEPGEPGEPanda

Mibba
February 14th, 2007 at 10:51am
Am I like the only fan who has only heard Creep once? Cheese
do_da_da
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
do_da_da
February 14th, 2007 at 08:37pm
How did that happen?
FCPSITSGEPGEPGEPanda
FCPSITSGEPGEPGEPanda

Mibba
February 14th, 2007 at 08:43pm
I don't know. XD

I never bought The Bends or Pablo Honey. And I don't listen to the radio, so I dunno. Dno
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
February 14th, 2007 at 08:46pm
I think they're over rated. Dno
Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
February 15th, 2007 at 05:01am
FCPSITSGEPGEPGEPanda:
I don't know. XD

I never bought The Bends or Pablo Honey. And I don't listen to the radio, so I dunno. Dno

I've never got round to buying Pablo Honey either. I've heard it and there's only 3 decent songs on there: Creep, Anyone Can Play Guitar and Thinking Of You.

You gotta get The Bends, though. Its one of the best albums of the 90s!
Not a Real Doctor
Idiot
Not a Real Doctor

Mibba
February 16th, 2007 at 06:57am
Color Me Impressed:
I think they're over rated. Dno

they are very talented and deserve all the hype. have you ever listened to them....
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
January 12th, 2008 at 07:09am
I might go and see them this summer in Barcelona OMGyes
Micro Sheep
Micro Sheep
January 12th, 2008 at 08:07am
Micro Sheep:
i only know Street Spirit.which i love Retard

Since then I've been listening to them a lot.I like their new album,esp. Faust Arp Very Happy

Ohhh and Thom Yorke's album Eraser is very good.
Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
January 12th, 2008 at 10:46am
Seeing them for the second time in London in June this year Con

In Rainbows: what do you guys think?

Personally I feel that it's got some of their strongest work for years. I thought I'd end up being disappointed because I had no idea where they could've gone. Instead of attempting to try something new, they've just tried to make the best album they could have possibly made based on what they've already achieved. Nude, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, House of Cards, Reckoner - all great songs. Even my friend who hates Radiohead has admitted that she likes it!

It was great of them to try something new with the pay-what-you-want download release too. And it's paid off - selling loads via the internet then still topping the charts when they put out a physical release. They've potentially inspired other artists to do the same thing. If they manage to revolutionise the stagnant music industry, then their legendary status should be all but confirmed!
Matticus
Jackass
Matticus
January 12th, 2008 at 11:05am
Radiohead are amazing Very Happy
And I've seen them around Oxford before haha. It rules living in the same place as them Meg
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
January 12th, 2008 at 04:02pm
Hopefully I'll be seeing them in Vancouver. They're going to be playing a huge venue and chances are, we'll end up with shit seats, but it's Radiohead, so.

I personally love In Rainbows.
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
January 15th, 2008 at 02:11pm
I don't know the older Radiohead, only the song Creep. But I personally loved In Rainbows.
Janie Jones
Janie Jones
January 15th, 2008 at 07:27pm
The Bends is one of my all-time favorite albums, almost every song on it is amazing (especially Just, The Bends...Street Spirit...aah, they're all great.) I like In Rainbows too - took a little while for it to grow on me, but I've been listening to it a lot lately. Hopefully they'll come somewhere near me when they tour.
Register