SPORTS: Hockey

AuthorMessage
Dehren McGhengland
Rotting On Here
Dehren McGhengland
June 17th, 2006 at 11:08pm
I dispise the Ottawa Senators with a passion.
But I love the Toronto Maple Leafs. They pwn me. Cool

...And Edmonton WILL win the cup this year.
greenday6
Admin
greenday6
June 17th, 2006 at 11:32pm
Oh will they now? Nah, I really don't care who wins this year, I'm not into either of the teams. I just want Carolina to win because I think Brind'amour and Recchi are ready to retire. Fizz likes the Recching ball.
Dehren McGhengland
Rotting On Here
Dehren McGhengland
June 17th, 2006 at 11:35pm
I just want them (Edmonton) to win because they're Canadian (as am I).
greenday6
Admin
greenday6
June 18th, 2006 at 12:19am
That's why my brother wants Edmonton to win. He's sad because he's not Canadian.
Tahm York
This Board Is My Home
Tahm York

Blog
June 21st, 2006 at 07:41pm
Alex Is So Fantastical.:
meh i dont really like to watch it but i love to play it. i play field hockey and i love beating the shit outta the ball. good sport for angry people Very Happy

that's ironic
because my sorta boyfriend is 1. obessed w/ hockey and 2. he is REALLY short tempered. and he plays it as well. but he plays ice hockey
Laughing
ahem!
[/offtopic]
Franny.
Falling In Love With The Board
Franny.
June 21st, 2006 at 10:49pm
carolina takes it home....ah well, we'll (canada) have another chance next year (not canucks though).
The Rev
Addict
The Rev
June 22nd, 2006 at 08:40am
im glad carolina won Cool
Dehren McGhengland
Rotting On Here
Dehren McGhengland
June 22nd, 2006 at 06:55pm
Pfft @ Carolina. Hand
greenday6
Admin
greenday6
June 22nd, 2006 at 09:21pm
The NHL awards are on now.
Franny.
Franny.
June 23rd, 2006 at 01:11am
greenday6:
The NHL awards are on now.

the only time i watched an nhl award thing was when naslund was nominated for the pearson award in 03 and won. i haven't watched any other one(s).
greenday6
Admin
greenday6
June 23rd, 2006 at 01:32am
I only watched this year's because Crosby was up for rookie of the year, and I thought maybe he had a chance. But Ovechkin won.
The Rev
Addict
The Rev
June 23rd, 2006 at 09:32am
greenday6:
I only watched this year's because Crosby was up for rookie of the year, and I thought maybe he had a chance. But Ovechkin won.

Phaneuf should have won that.
The Rev
Addict
The Rev
June 24th, 2006 at 11:03pm
OMG NEWS!

VANCOUVER (CP) - The Calgary Flames and Minnesota Wild added some offensive firepower while the Toronto Maple Leafs traded for a No. 1 goalie at the NHL entry draft Saturday.

The Leafs, who will cut loose veteran Ed Belfour before the end of the month, traded for 2004 Calder Trophy winner Andrew Raycroft of the Boston Bruins in exchange for Finnish goaltending prospect Tuukka Rask, Toronto's first-round pick last June.

"We had a chance to acquire a 26-year-old goaltender who has already proven himself to be a No. 1 goalie, he's a former rookie of the year and it really fits in well to our group and what we're trying to do going forward," said Leafs GM John Ferguson.

Hannu Toivonen took over the starter's job in Boston last season while Tim Thomas is a competent backup so the Bruins were looking to cut bait with Raycroft, a restricted free agent who made $1.35 million last season.

The Wild acquired star forward Pavol Demitra from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for their first-round pick, 17th overall, in Saturday's entry draft as well as prospect Patrick O'Sullivan.

Demitra is a 31-year-old sniper who will be a nice compliment to fellow Slovak star winger Marian Gaborik.

"I think it'll help them both be productive," said Wild GM Doug Risebrough. "They both are a good fit, they'll feed off each other. We think Marian's the best player on the team and we're trying to find ways to make him better."

Gaborik is a restricted free agent while Demitra, who had 62 points (25-37) in only 58 games last season, arrives in Minnesota with two more years left on his deal at $4.5 million each of the 2006-07 and 2007-08 seasons.

A day after the Vancouver Canucks stunned the hockey world by landing star goalie Roberto Luongo from Florida, the rival Flames grabbed the spotlight early in the draft by nabbing star winger Alex Tanguay in exchange for defenceman Jordan Leopold, a second-round pick this year and a conditional second-round pick in 2007 or 2008.

The Flames were 27th out of 30 teams in goals scored last season and will welcome Tanguay's soft hands.

"It gives us a No. 1 left-winger, that's what it does," said Flames GM/coach Darryl Sutter. "That's how he's perceived in the league and that's how we perceive him. He's a guy that produces number-wise."

The 26-year-old former first-round draft pick (12th overall) was second in scoring behind Joe Sakic for the Avalanche last season with 29 goals and 49 assists in 71 games.

Tanguay has scored 25 or more goals in four of his last five seasons.

The cap-challenged Avs are trying to re-sign star defenceman Rob Blake and now will have more flexibility to do so without Tanguay, a restricted free agent who is due a $3.23-million qualifying offer by Monday's deadline.

Leopold, who turns 26 on Aug. 3, had two goals and 18 assists and a plus-6 rating in 74 games last season, but had fallen out of favour with coach and general manager Darryl Sutter.

He has one more year left on his deal and will make $1.25 million US in salary for 2006-07.

Ferguson, meanwhile, was spotted having numerous discussions with Sharks GM Doug Wilson, who is trying to unload goalie Evgeni Nabokov. But they couldn't get it done.

"It takes two to tango," was all Ferguson would say when asked about the talks with San Jose. "But we like the deal we made. We're very pleased that Andrew Raycroft is a Toronto Maple Leaf."

Ottawa Senators GM John Muckler was also busy in trade talks. Senators winger Martin Havlat, a restricted free agent up for a big raise, was a name that kept popping up in trade rumours.

"We talked to numerous people about numerous things and nothing materialized," said Muckler. "But we got some stuff heating up a little bit."

In the first deal of the day, the Dallas Stars send Nikko Kapanen and a seventh-round draft pick this year to the Atlanta Thrashers in exchange for defenceman Jaroslov Modry and forward Patrick Stefan, the No. 1 draft pick in 1999.

It's a deal that clears some salary cap space for the Thrashers.

Modry, Atlanta's top scoring defenceman last season with seven goals and 31 assists in 79 games, has another year left on his contract at $1.9 million US.

"We have good, mobile defencemen in Trevor Daley, Phillipe Boucher, Sergei Zubov and we think Modry will just fit into our group," said Stars GM Doug Armstrong.

Stefan is a restricted free agent who earned $1.064 million this past season. He had only 10 goals and 14 assists in 64 games last season and has been a bust since Atlanta made him the first overall pick seven years ago.

"We're not looking to put any statistical bar for him to reach," said Armstrong. "We just want him to come in and be a good two-way player, and probably because of his stature from his draft a chance of environment will probably be good for him now. Those (lofty) expectations won't be there for him in Dallas."

Kapanen is a restricted free agent who made the minimum $450,000 last season after scoring 14 goals and adding 21 assists in 81 games.

Other moves Saturday:

-Montreal dealt its 16th overall pick to San Jose for the Sharks' 20th and 53rd overall picks;

-New Jersey traded 25th overall pick to St. Louis for 30th overall pick and 77th overall pick;

The Tampa Bay Lightning have made no secret of their desire to add a No. 1 goaltender but it didn't happen on Saturday.

"Right now we don't have anything, but at the same time even if it doesn't happen this weekend it doesn't mean we won't get something done at some point," said Lightning GM Jay Feaster. "The draft is the first opportunity once the season ends to try and get something done but it's not the only opportunity.

"I'm still optimistic that we're going to find the solution."
Franny.
Franny.
June 25th, 2006 at 02:17am
canucks news: bertuzzi is gone and i'm laughing while a bunch of my friends are crying. at least we have a good goalie, luongo. though our new head coach (who's name i don't care of) sucks and will take the canucks no where. nonis (gm) fired the assisting coaches and will find newer, crappier ones. ever since burke left us, nonis has made every wrong move. the only move i personally dislike greatly is firing crawford. he brought the canucks back into the game and ever since he became coach, we've gone to the playoffs. just this year we were off but firing him was too rash of a move.

ok, done rant =)
greenday6
Admin
greenday6
June 25th, 2006 at 05:00am
Yeah, some girl on the tagboard was talking about the Luongo trade. I like the trade because the Penguins don't play Vacouver that often, so I'll barely have to watch us attempt to score on Luongo. And they had the draft yesterday, and the Penguins got Stahl's brother (whose first name I don't know).
ERROR:
King For A Couple Of Days
ERROR:

Mibba Blog
September 26th, 2006 at 09:35pm
Whoa...... I bet I'm the only person here who even cares about the Red Wings....... ha....

Anyways, I'm all sad now....... because Steve Yzerman retired and we don't have Shanahan (!!!! ;P) and then we have Hasek who's a HORRIBLE goalie!!! AAAAAHHH!!!!!!
The Rev
Addict
The Rev
September 26th, 2006 at 09:39pm
but you know Yzerman is now Vice President of the Red Wings...

he may not play, but he's still part of the Organization.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
September 27th, 2006 at 09:07am
OTTAWA SENATORS!!! YEAAAAAAAAH!!! <3 <3 <3

(By the way, I suggested the whole sports threads idea. Cool)

The Sens are my life. We whoop major ass. Cool
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
September 27th, 2006 at 09:08am
GreenDay420:
carolina takes it home....ah well, we'll (canada) have another chance next year (not canucks though).
Canada will rise again.

I mean, truthfully, almost all the players on the American teams are Canadian. Very Happy
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
September 27th, 2006 at 09:09am
Playmate Of The Year:
im glad carolina won Cool
Carolina can go screw off. It's the Sens time now. Cool
Register