mpaa

AuthorMessage
GD Addicts Anonymous
Falling In Love With The Board
GD Addicts Anonymous
June 21st, 2006 at 12:01am
I agree. It would be better to leave it up to the parents and say what's in the movie. It would be easier because some parents are stricter, some are more easygoing, and people who work at the movies wouldn't have to worry about it.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
June 21st, 2006 at 02:08pm
ixlovexbilliexjoe:
I agree. It would be better to leave it up to the parents and say what's in the movie. It would be easier because some parents are stricter, some are more easygoing, and people who work at the movies wouldn't have to worry about it.
exactly, the mpaa has to be more flexible than they are because not all parents agree
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
June 21st, 2006 at 05:48pm
spill_no_sick:
NeoSteph:
well in a sense I think some of the ratings I see on films are not thought out properly and it looks like someones gone
''oh boobs that will scar a child''

but I also think that parents are not with there children twenty four seven. and if a group of 11 year olds went to the cinema saw a film that really should be for adult viewing only, and if it was a horror for example, they would have nightmares, be scared and not enjoy it.

So I do think that in circumstance like that officials need to take responcibility to protect for whent he parents is not there.

It's like when your at school the teacher becomes the parental, raising a generation is the community's responcibility. You can't molly-coddle your children you have to let them have freedom at the same time knowing that there are restriction in the worl to protect them.
but the restrictions are so severe because of those small cases

I agree that there should be parental consent, but the parent doesn't have to be WITH you when you go to the movie

it's not small cases underage kids sneak into movies everyday, and enough of the times, it has a negative effect on the child, when I was in my young teens, I managed to fake my age by getting my older friend to by me a ticket, saw some horror movies and was petrified for weeks.

The reason for restrictions is it allows children to do things without their parents, '12' and '15' certificate movies means they don't have to attend the movies with an adult, yet the parent still know that their children are seeing a movie suitable for their viewing.

If you remove restrictions it will lead to younger children viewing adult material, and I see enough 8 year olds dressed like hookers as it is.

Kids and teenagers are still in a stage when everything is suggestiable, hell most adults are. If they allowed to watch violent film with sex in them it cannot lead to good things. And lets face it the government has to have laws to protect kids because not all parents up to the challenge.
Remarkable Rocket
Remarkable Rocket
June 21st, 2006 at 06:38pm
In my opinion.. censorship should be a family and parental thing... not a government regulation system.

Warnings - Yes.
Laws - no.

I was at the movies the other day Neutral.. and they wouldn't let me go see a rated R movie because I didn't have my ID with me.. (I'm 17... )...

I ended up buying a ticket to go to a different movie and sneaking in anywya.. but it pissed me off.. ya know.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
June 21st, 2006 at 08:52pm
spill_no_sick:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
I See no point in ratings, at all. They serve no purpose other than to give false Ideas about movies and music. If they want to rate things, let them. It's ignorant, but let them. If parents were truely concernced with what their kids were doing, they would get off their ass and pay attention. If you're going to judge something by a little sticker on a movie case or a box in the corner of a movie poster at the theaters if it's acceptable, then you're no parent anyways. What really angers me are the parenst who live by those ratings are protest anything rated R (..or above) and they havnt even seen it, they based it soley on what someone else has said. It just goes to show how brainwashed the media has some people.

The problem I have with ratings is not being able to see movies in the theaters without having someone else buy my ticket. Who are they to judge that every 14 year old in the world is at the same mental maurity level and can tolerate the movie at hand? It's ignorant, and for me, it's never enforced when buying DVD's. So it's ok for me to buy them, but I can't see them in theaters. Awhile ago some guy got arrested at the theater for buying 15 year olds tickets to see V is for Vendetta. I don't know if he went to jail or got fined, but he was arrested and taken off in a poilice car because the kids parenst were there seeing something and they didnt know, so they got busted.

Whats even worse is when movies get ratings they don't want, and they know the audience they want can't see it, so they edit their movie to get it down to PG-13. I think ratings are just another way to increase laziness and provide a false image that allows people to use them and say they are "good" parents.

exactly
that's exactly right
parents aren't even parents anymore
they don't care anymore
it's honestly that simple
our parents don't fully read into us, or fully care, that's why there are these handy cliff notes everywhere

"if your child is a teenager, their angst is normal, so you still don't have to give a shit about your child"

the same goes for movies, "if your child is under eleven, they can't see PG movies, if they're under thirteen they need an adult to watch a PG-13 movie with them, etc."

the reason they can have control over us, and have this kind of power that's abused over us *cough*tyranny*cough* is because parents don't care

they think they care because they read the cliff notes, but they honestly don't care

Yeah, I agree with both posts.

Its pretty stupid, I guess. Like, in school, you cant see PG films when you are in primary school (elementary school for Americans) cause its reccomended for people over 15, parental guidance is reccomended for those under.

And as soon as I got into highschool, they stopped caring, and started showing us MA movies (cannot be seen by someone under 15 without a parent or guardian).

So people don't take notice anyways, its just pretty stupid.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
June 22nd, 2006 at 12:52pm
Coff:
spill_no_sick:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
I See no point in ratings, at all. They serve no purpose other than to give false Ideas about movies and music. If they want to rate things, let them. It's ignorant, but let them. If parents were truely concernced with what their kids were doing, they would get off their ass and pay attention. If you're going to judge something by a little sticker on a movie case or a box in the corner of a movie poster at the theaters if it's acceptable, then you're no parent anyways. What really angers me are the parenst who live by those ratings are protest anything rated R (..or above) and they havnt even seen it, they based it soley on what someone else has said. It just goes to show how brainwashed the media has some people.

The problem I have with ratings is not being able to see movies in the theaters without having someone else buy my ticket. Who are they to judge that every 14 year old in the world is at the same mental maurity level and can tolerate the movie at hand? It's ignorant, and for me, it's never enforced when buying DVD's. So it's ok for me to buy them, but I can't see them in theaters. Awhile ago some guy got arrested at the theater for buying 15 year olds tickets to see V is for Vendetta. I don't know if he went to jail or got fined, but he was arrested and taken off in a poilice car because the kids parenst were there seeing something and they didnt know, so they got busted.

Whats even worse is when movies get ratings they don't want, and they know the audience they want can't see it, so they edit their movie to get it down to PG-13. I think ratings are just another way to increase laziness and provide a false image that allows people to use them and say they are "good" parents.

exactly
that's exactly right
parents aren't even parents anymore
they don't care anymore
it's honestly that simple
our parents don't fully read into us, or fully care, that's why there are these handy cliff notes everywhere

"if your child is a teenager, their angst is normal, so you still don't have to give a shit about your child"

the same goes for movies, "if your child is under eleven, they can't see PG movies, if they're under thirteen they need an adult to watch a PG-13 movie with them, etc."

the reason they can have control over us, and have this kind of power that's abused over us *cough*tyranny*cough* is because parents don't care

they think they care because they read the cliff notes, but they honestly don't care

Yeah, I agree with both posts.

Its pretty stupid, I guess. Like, in school, you cant see PG films when you are in primary school (elementary school for Americans) cause its reccomended for people over 15, parental guidance is reccomended for those under.

And as soon as I got into highschool, they stopped caring, and started showing us MA movies (cannot be seen by someone under 15 without a parent or guardian).

So people don't take notice anyways, its just pretty stupid.
we saw R movies in middle (primary) school and we can't see PG movies in high school where everyone is over the age of thirteen
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
June 22nd, 2006 at 01:00pm
NeoSteph:
it's not small cases underage kids sneak into movies everyday, and enough of the times, it has a negative effect on the child, when I was in my young teens, I managed to fake my age by getting my older friend to by me a ticket, saw some horror movies and was petrified for weeks.

The reason for restrictions is it allows children to do things without their parents, '12' and '15' certificate movies means they don't have to attend the movies with an adult, yet the parent still know that their children are seeing a movie suitable for their viewing.

If you remove restrictions it will lead to younger children viewing adult material, and I see enough 8 year olds dressed like hookers as it is.

Kids and teenagers are still in a stage when everything is suggestiable, hell most adults are. If they allowed to watch violent film with sex in them it cannot lead to good things. And lets face it the government has to have laws to protect kids because not all parents up to the challenge.

It depends on the child, really.
Some children are totally un affected by violence and horror films, yet some adults still get scared watching Narnia. You'll be exposed to it anyway, and if some kid wants to sneak into a 18 rated horror film then on their head be it. Let them make their onw mistakes. You never know, they might just be able to deal with it. It isn't horror films and video games making society more violent, we've been violent since the dawn of time.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
June 22nd, 2006 at 01:04pm
Bloodraine:
NeoSteph:

Some children are totally un affected by violence and horror films, yet some adults still get scared watching Narnia. You'll be exposed to it anyway, and if some kid wants to sneak into a 18 rated horror film then on their head be it. Let them make their onw mistakes. You never know, they might just be able to deal with it. It isn't horror films and video games making society more violent, we've been violent since the dawn of time.

i can see your point but when kids see things that upset them you cant un see them if you get what i am trieing to say in my own ass faced way.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
June 22nd, 2006 at 01:06pm
Magne:
i can see your point but when kids see things that upset them you cant un see them if you get what i am trieing to say in my own ass faced way.

Yeah...once they've seen the thing you can't take that away.
But even in its own way thats good, they'll have learned the hard way not to sneak into films, and they will get over it. They won't be scared forver.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
June 22nd, 2006 at 01:07pm
Bloodraine:
Magne:

Yeah...once they've seen the thing you can't take that away.
But even in its own way thats good, they'll have learned the hard way not to sneak into films, and they will get over it. They won't be scared forver.

actually i saw the bird film when i was 11 and now i am well............older and i am petrified of birds, but yes they will they learn the hard way
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
June 22nd, 2006 at 03:56pm
Bloodraine:
NeoSteph:

If kids want to take that risk, yes it is on there heads, but that doesn't mean that we should stop the restrictions, because the majority of little kids would be scared by most horror and action movies.

And there's actually a really long theory over why some adults would horror movies more scary than children, but I do mean SOME. for example in the classic ''pyscho'' the scariest part of the movie is the shower scene yet what is scary about the scene is what you picture in your own head, and most children have not be influenced by violence in the media up to that point, so would be less likely to picture a thrilling image (ok they had nothing to do with the debat, but i'm missing my media lessons, so I have to pass on the knowledge some how)
wheels-and-dolls-baby
Geek
wheels-and-dolls-baby
June 22nd, 2006 at 04:06pm
I think some ratings need to be revised on some films, for example I recently watched a short silent film made in the 1920's which was given an X rating whereas now it would have probably only been given a PG, and only for the reason, that it's a surrealist film but I don't think anyone who watched it would find it offensive enough to give it an X or 18 rating, on the subject of sneaking into films, lying about your age, censorship etc, I've only sneaked into a film once with my friend and I didn't find the film offensive but I can see why with other films ratings are given, although it doesn't seem to matter too much because if someone where I live can't get into a film because of their age, they would usually just buy a pirate copy in the 'Barra's' at town
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
June 23rd, 2006 at 01:49pm
wheels-and-dolls-baby:
I think some ratings need to be revised on some films, for example I recently watched a short silent film made in the 1920's which was given an X rating whereas now it would have probably only been given a PG, and only for the reason, that it's a surrealist film but I don't think anyone who watched it would find it offensive enough to give it an X or 18 rating, on the subject of sneaking into films, lying about your age, censorship etc, I've only sneaked into a film once with my friend and I didn't find the film offensive but I can see why with other films ratings are given, although it doesn't seem to matter too much because if someone where I live can't get into a film because of their age, they would usually just buy a pirate copy in the 'Barra's' at town
there weren't rating systems in the1920s
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
June 23rd, 2006 at 01:59pm
Bloodraine:
NeoSteph:

no matter how much I want to agree with Bloodraine, NeoSteph is right, we need age certificates
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
June 23rd, 2006 at 02:10pm
spill_no_sick:
no matter how much I want to agree with Bloodraine, NeoSteph is right, we need age certificates

Never said we don't.
Age certificates will always be good as a guide, a gentle warning. But really, what does age matter?. Maturity is the more imporant, yet the only way to judge that is through age, not always a good idea. For example, My best friend can get into 15 rated movies, and up until last friday I couldn't. I'd say, besides the 6 month age gap, we're pretty much identical. Yet, according to law, my mind is not suitable to view the things she can see.

There is also the thing you have to take into account, one driving factor that makes children want to sneak into higher rated films. Its that risk factor, the adrenaline you get when you do something you aren't supposed to.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 23rd, 2006 at 02:19pm
But why should whats acceptable for one Child be used to judge another? Parents shouldn't go by what someone else says on how to raise their kids. If their whole idea on what is acceptable for Children is based on what the Mpaa says, they are ignorant. Im no where near 18 and I can watch rated R movies, because My Mom knows I can handle it, and Im sure alot of teenagers under 18 could. But their idiotic parents base their views on a movie they havnt seen based on a label someone else gave it. That doesnt seem like good parenting to me at all.

Also, the above all movies that have ever scared me, the ring sits highly at the top. That movie was scary beyond all reason to me, I didnt sleep for 2 weeks for fear that a deformed little girl was going to crawl out of my TV and kill me somehow. That movie was only PG_13. People are affected by things in different ways. I know people who thought the Shinning was Scary and I thought it was extremely boring and the book was way better. Peoples minds work differently, so how can you judge an entire age group's ability to handle something based on someone who isnt even in that age group's opinion?

Also, when you go to a horror movie or a thriller or something like that, you expect to be scared, so you can't be outraged when it happens either and blame it on the movie rating.
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
July 21st, 2006 at 07:53am
the whole maturity and how you handle scary movies etc thing is true. you just have to look at my english class to tell that. we watched 'the woman in black' (dunno what certificate it is) in class, some people (aka me) were scared by it, soem (aka, my friend who is YOUNGER than me) werent. age doesnt always play a part. they shouldnt make it illegal for kids younger than the age restriction to go in, they should give an idea of whats in the movie and let people make their own minds up.
Register