Emotional Abuse From Parents

AuthorMessage
robotchicken.
Falling In Love With The Board
robotchicken.

Mibba
July 29th, 2006 at 10:59pm
I dunno if this has been a topic or anything. Maybe theres a topic out there I looked and couldnt find any but anyway um...basically this is "not" about phyiscal abuse but the emotional kind. Like just saying your child would amount to nothing.
I heard of a boy say his mother kept calling him fat and that he would always be a loser. He ended up killing her and shooting two people at his school.
I get this kind of stuff from my mom.
I tell her Ill get a scholarship and go off to a film school and all she says is that Ill get raped ._.
I want to be the first person in my family to complete high school and go to college but all I get is that "Ill get raped and killed" or "Ill get pregnant and never leave this town." Which I dont understand cause if you new me you know Im a very trusting person and have been extremely well behaved child all my life. She kept telling me this all day today.
What do think about this like should kids tell someone about this kind of stuff?
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
July 29th, 2006 at 11:06pm
I think emotional abuse can be so much worse than physical.

Bruises, they go away. This stuff doesnt. The emotions that go with being told you're worthless don't just vanish some day. Emotional abuse is a permanent thing, it's alot harder to come to terms with.

Emotional abuse can be so much harder to prove too. Without some type of physical evidence, it's hard to make a case.
davey jones.
davey jones.

Mibba Blog
July 30th, 2006 at 02:02am
Oh boy.

Where do I begin?

My parents call me worthless, an idiot, and stupid. My mom says "I know you're not a genius. I don't expect you to do anything great." Yeah whatever. I should just do something BIG and MINDBLOWING to prove her wrong. NONE of them graduated highschool. Do expect me to reach the same standards they set for themselves? Aren't parents supposed to encourage their kids? My stepdad is always making fun of me and calling me worthless and hitting me in the shoulder. Their theory is that if they keep doing that to me, it'll make me tough.

It just makes me feel shitty.

I could go on for hours about this. ._.
robotchicken.
robotchicken.

Mibba
July 30th, 2006 at 03:03am
Handguns For Hearts:
Oh boy.

Where do I begin?

My parents call me worthless, an idiot, and stupid. My mom says "I know you're not a genius. I don't expect you to do anything great." Yeah whatever. I should just do something BIG and MINDBLOWING to prove her wrong. NONE of them graduated highschool. Do expect me to reach the same standards they set for themselves? Aren't parents supposed to encourage their kids? My stepdad is always making fun of me and calling me worthless and hitting me in the shoulder. Their theory is that if they keep doing that to me, it'll make me tough.

It just makes me feel shitty.

I could go on for hours about this. ._.
Me too, ._.
Really my dad and my brother are the only ones that believe in me. My mom just.....I really dont know what her problem is I never did anything to her o_o Expect ask her to quit smoking, she wont.
Now Im like afraid to walk down the street by myself cause everyday she tells me "You'll get raped and killed." >_< Yeah I know it can happen but to tell me that when I say I wanna go to college? Or finish high school that'll Ill get pregnant? I tell her that Im not like those other girls but....she doesnt get it ://
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
July 30th, 2006 at 07:20am
i dont get that kinda shit, my parents expect too much of me. its not abuse per se. but it can be really crap if you cant live up to their expectations.
Kirsty1138
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Kirsty1138
July 30th, 2006 at 08:05am
I dont understand why some people have children! I believe the role of a parent is to simply raise and support your child through any path THEY wish to take.
Both types of parents are as bad as each other (meaning those who tell their child their worthless and those who expect everything from thier child)

Being told your worthless from a parent, is a horrible feeling, it hits very deep and is hard to get rid of.
On the other scale the stress some parents put onto thier kids is ridiculous, they are taking all of their childs dreams and talents, and moulding them into what they want their child to be.

For anyone going through this I sympathise! Just keep strong and DONT give in, no matter what the threats, be your on person... not a tool
Peardrops
Addict
Peardrops

Blog
July 30th, 2006 at 10:22am
Bruises can heal, but memories stay forever. (Unless you like, take ill with amnesia or something.)

Some parents (or grandparents, in my case) do it because their life hasn't turned out like they planned, so they think they know it all and that it's going to happen to you too. So if you have high aspirations, just like they did in their youth, they're going to say; "Oh, you'll never make it." Because they didn't.
I_Wanna_B_The_Minority
King For A Couple Of Days
I_Wanna_B_The_Minority
July 30th, 2006 at 10:37am
my mum said to me that im the one causing all the problems in the house and thats its me that should be seeing the doctor not my brother...
GreenDayfanatic07
Geek
GreenDayfanatic07

Mibba
July 30th, 2006 at 11:59am
Well, Im 11 and Ive always hated myself since I was like 5 years old. I know that probably sounds retarded, but its because of my mom. She gives me emotional abuse and physical abuse. When I was 5, I was average weight, but I thought I was fat, and my mom knew that so she took it as an advantage. She called my a fat slob, just because I wasn't "eating my speghetti right" and she slapped me across the face, and told me to go to my room. I ran in and shut the door and locked it and cried for hours. I have hated myself since then, You're probably wondering where my dad was, well my parents are divorced and for a while, my mom would band me from seeing him for stupid little things, she would call me a bitch, a faggot, worthless little shit, nothing, nobody, and a waste of space, there were plenty of other names that she called me but i didnt want to remind myself of her.....when Im here at my dad's I feel safe and thats the only place i feel safe.....yeh thats my sob story....dont feel bad for me, which im sure u wont lol
Nathalie.
Addict
Nathalie.
July 30th, 2006 at 12:36pm
Me and my brother are twins, and my mom always says things like 'Why can't you be like your brother?' and that I'm not a good daughter and stuff like that ... I'm the bad one and my brother is the good one.
steady riot.
steady riot.
July 30th, 2006 at 12:59pm
I think everyone has or is going through emotional abuse. But, sometimes it's not just the parent which hands it out. Sometimes the child can do this to a parent. Either way it's a horrible thing to go through, it stays with you forever.
suzie_k
suzie_k
July 30th, 2006 at 01:06pm
I work in a school and we had to have a meeting about this.
Even though I only work in the kitchen.
If we see a child acting different to what they normally would.
(I'm talking radically different.)
We have to report it to the principal and he has to report it to someone higher up who has to compile a report about it.
Erin; Technophile
Post Whore
Erin; Technophile

Mibba
July 30th, 2006 at 08:03pm
I don't get emotionally abused by my parents but think I get some from my brother. He tends to make sport of telling me I'm a retard and always makes me out as the worthless child who is selfish and doesn't help out the family as much as I should.
Kyra
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Kyra

Mibba Blog
July 31st, 2006 at 01:29am
Does getting threats count?
I don't know...because it's not constant.
Sometimes she'll flip and throw things, and sometimes she'll just cuss and scream.
Eh, I have it better off than most, and I'm greatful for that.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
July 31st, 2006 at 06:16am
I_worship_tre_Cool:
I think emotional abuse can be so much worse than physical.

Bruises, they go away. This stuff doesnt. The emotions that go with being told you're worthless don't just vanish some day. Emotional abuse is a permanent thing, it's alot harder to come to terms with.

Emotional abuse can be so much harder to prove too. Without some type of physical evidence, it's hard to make a case.

i agree with you, because if your told every day that your worthless and you'll amount to nothing then thats what you'll become,
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
July 31st, 2006 at 05:39pm
My parents (actually, just my mom) has told me that im gonna end up at Staples (local and GIGANTIC high school) and become a loser, and end up on the streets.
shes called me anorexic too.
and the one that is causing problems in the family.

i thiought parents were suppoused to be motivating.
11th Street Kid
11th Street Kid
August 2nd, 2006 at 01:51pm
I get this almost everyday from several people.

What I think is really shitty is some parents do this to their children to toughen them up and some parents think,"Hey, if I tell my kid that she's not gonna make it... maybe she'll try really hard to prove me wrong."

Bull. It doesn't work with everyone. I've seen this happen alot and most of the time, it grinds those kids down.
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
August 11th, 2006 at 09:55am
sexybilliejoe4me:
Well, Im 11 and Ive always hated myself since I was like 5 years old. I know that probably sounds retarded, but its because of my mom. She gives me emotional abuse and physical abuse. When I was 5, I was average weight, but I thought I was fat, and my mom knew that so she took it as an advantage. She called my a fat slob, just because I wasn't "eating my speghetti right" and she slapped me across the face, and told me to go to my room. I ran in and shut the door and locked it and cried for hours. I have hated myself since then, You're probably wondering where my dad was, well my parents are divorced and for a while, my mom would band me from seeing him for stupid little things, she would call me a bitch, a faggot, worthless little shit, nothing, nobody, and a waste of space, there were plenty of other names that she called me but i didnt want to remind myself of her.....when Im here at my dad's I feel safe and thats the only place i feel safe.....yeh thats my sob story....dont feel bad for me, which im sure u wont lol

well dont hate yourself, your mom is the one being mean!
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 11th, 2006 at 10:07am
_insertstupidnamehere_:
well dont hate yourself, your mom is the one being mean!
Hate your mum? What are you, crazy? I mean, you'll have to learn to deal with the emotional abuse that I used to get and still get from my parents. How can you hate them though. They're your parents. Unless they kept you in solitary confinement for your entire life or something similar, then OK. I mean people who say they hate their parents, I usually find have a good reason. But just cause your mum calls you a bitch and fat and hits you a bit, I don't think is reason enough to hate her.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 11th, 2006 at 10:40am
Anji:
But just cause your mum calls you a bitch and fat and hits you a bit, I don't think is reason enough to hate her.

Well you're sure as hell not going to like someone for that. Thats unacceptable and I won't even call her a mother because she isnt acting like one, she could go to jail for hitting her kids if its done abusivly and she deserves it. That whole "There your parents, without them you wouldnt be here, LOVE THEM" Crap doesnt work. Alot of people kill themselves over family issues and wish they werent here because of their parents. Just because they do one good thing isnt a ticket for them to do bad things.
Register