paying for public transportation ...

AuthorMessage
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
August 7th, 2006 at 03:09pm
sorry if this has been done or is pointless ....

well what do you think? My school district is making parents pay 100 for their child to ride the public school bus. Teh yare basing some of it off of your distance from school. If you live X numbers of miles away you have to pay X number of dollars.

I personally think isnt fair ... some people can't afford it. My friend up the street has 5 siblings (4 of whom take the bus) ... she (their mom) only has to pay $200 because their is a $200 limit BUT is it fair that my mother has to pay $100 for one child? And i don't think paying by distance isn't very fair either, On my street i'm closer than the kid up the street, he woud have to pay and not me. to me that doesn't make sence. Its a public school and bus system, not all kids are being forced to ride the bus only those who need to.

* i still have t pay the 100 though , that was an example
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 7th, 2006 at 03:16pm
wow. We have registration fee's, that cover everything.Book's, lockers, Bus, ect. and it is no where close to that O__O Thats insane
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
August 7th, 2006 at 04:00pm
yes i think you should pay for transport to and fro school just like everyone else has to pay to get on our marvelous transport, i mean petrol isnt cheap and some one has to pay for the upkeep of the bus, and is the $100 a term or somthing differant because if its a term thats actually good by some standards.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 7th, 2006 at 04:01pm
Lucifers Angel:
yes i think you should pay for transport to and fro school just like everyone else has to pay to get on our marvelous transport, i mean petrol isnt cheap and some one has to pay for the upkeep of the bus, and is the $100 a term or somthing differant because if its a term thats actually good by some standards.

100 dollars is alot of money to alot of people. Thats not affordable for some.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
August 7th, 2006 at 04:04pm
Kurtni:
Lucifers Angel:

2 questions.

1. is it per term

2. How much is $100 in british money?
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 7th, 2006 at 04:06pm
Lucifers Angel:
Kurtni:
Lucifers Angel:

2 questions.

1. is it per term

I think it's probably per term, It isnt like this at my school.
1 british pound is the equivilant of 1.75 american dollars or something close to that, so it's like 60 pounds.

Schools get government funding for things like that, not much, but they do get some. That just seems like alot to me. It's no where near that in my district.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
August 7th, 2006 at 04:09pm
Kurtni:
Lucifers Angel:
Kurtni:
Lucifers Angel:

2 questions.

1. is it per term

I think it's probably per term, It isnt like this at my school.
1 british pound is the equivilant of 1.75 american dollars or something close to that, so it's like 60 pounds.

Schools get government funding for things like that, not much, but they do get some. That just seems like alot to me. It's no where near that in my district.

it was about that when my kids went to school, and i had to pay it and i didnt mind because it made them go to school and get educated, but then we moved to a differant area and they were given bus passes, so there are differant rukes for differant places, its like some areas will go clothing grants for new uniforms and others wont.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
August 7th, 2006 at 04:14pm
Lucifers Angel:

but it suposed to be included in our school budget and i think taxes
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
August 7th, 2006 at 04:16pm
Viva La Stupid:
Lucifers Angel:

but it suposed to be included in our school budget and i think taxes

only part of it, it in your school budget and the taxxes they are not only there to make sure you go to school,
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
August 7th, 2006 at 04:18pm
Bus Passes here are £200 per year. $400+ for americans. You can get free ones if you live 3+ miles away from the school.
You know what?. The way the world works, somebody, somewhere down the line is paying for everything. Bus prices for me are going up all the time, but it isn't a question of fairness. Of course it isn't fair, because like any system there are victims. But its got to be expected. Petrol costs, maintainance, bus driver wages. You wouldn't expect to get a free bus ride into town, so why do you expect one to school?.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
August 7th, 2006 at 04:26pm
Bloodraine:
Bus Passes here are £200 per year. $400+ for americans. You can get free ones if you live 3+ miles away from the school.
You know what?. The way the world works, somebody, somewhere down the line is paying for everything. Bus prices for me are going up all the time, but it isn't a question of fairness. Of course it isn't fair, because like any system there are victims. But its got to be expected. Petrol costs, maintainance, bus driver wages. You wouldn't expect to get a free bus ride into town, so why do you expect one to school?.

just a question? is it a town/city bus or the school district (big yellow ones)
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
August 7th, 2006 at 04:36pm
Viva La Stupid:
Bloodraine:

No idea. We don't have yellow busses here, my school bus is blue and white and run by a coaching firm called Northen Blue.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
August 7th, 2006 at 04:39pm
Bloodraine:
Viva La Stupid:
Bloodraine:

No idea. We don't have yellow busses here, my school bus is blue and white and run by a coaching firm called Northen Blue.

oh. is it only used for school related stuff (those are the buses i'm talking about)
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
August 7th, 2006 at 04:56pm
Nope. It goes to an isolated rural area where the only way of access for schoolchildren and adults alike is to use this one bus service.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
August 7th, 2006 at 05:02pm
oh. the bus system i'm talking about is only used by schools , to get kids to and from school and field trips only students can use them.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
August 7th, 2006 at 05:04pm
Viva La Stupid:
oh. the bus system i'm talking about is only used by schools , to get kids to and from school and field trips only students can use them.

how many miles do you live away from your school?
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
August 7th, 2006 at 05:08pm
Lucifers Angel:
Viva La Stupid:

i'm not sure, but i know i can't walk
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
August 7th, 2006 at 05:11pm
Viva La Stupid:
Lucifers Angel:
Viva La Stupid:

i'm not sure, but i know i can't walk

the school does get funding for transport that is true but it is just a little amount they get, and in the budget they also have to make sure that you getting the education that you need, they will have children there (I suspect) that require special needs and they deserve they're share aswell.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 7th, 2006 at 07:49pm
Viva La Stupid:
Yeah, thats how mine is too. The school system is completely seperate from and other public transportation.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
August 8th, 2006 at 05:15am
My bus service in primary school was usually just a school bus for students, occasionally other people would use it, but not often. It was just a bus service for my town and the town next to us, and we are both small towns, so both the school nor the company had the funds to provide a free bus service.

So, from year 3, we had to pay to catch the bus if you lived less than about 2 or 3 km away from the school. Since I did live less than 2 km away from school, I had to pay. It wasn't that big a deal, I normally didn't have to pay anyways, cause they were never paying attention, and soon enough I got old enough to walk home anyways.

Now I catch the train to school, and we get free rail passes which are $17.50 per year, and if you lose them, then you have to pay another $17.50 to replace them.

I really think that they should not make people pay (in your situation, not mine, $17.50 is hardly anything) because some people cant afford that much, and it may be too dangerous to make them walk.
Register