Internet relationships

AuthorMessage
Rocker Chic
King For A Couple Of Days
Rocker Chic

Blog
April 1st, 2008 at 04:52pm
Well, internet safety is a big priority with me, and lets face it, internet relationships are not exactly safe.

The good thing about them, though, is that you're falling in love with what the person's thoughts are, not what they look like. So that aspect can be good. As long as you're careful not to give too much away too soon, I think it's alright.
Barney Stinson
Basket Case
Barney Stinson

Mibba Blog
April 1st, 2008 at 05:07pm
^^ I agree, but it's also very important to make sure that it is a safe relationship and to make sure that they are who they say they are.
Rocker Chic
Rocker Chic

Blog
April 1st, 2008 at 05:11pm
Yeah. Safety is the biggest thing, especially if you feel like you're really falling for someone.

I think a romantic relationship online would be far more dangerous than just a friendship, because there are all those extra emotions involved that may make you do something stupid.
Trelovescookies
Idiot
Trelovescookies

Blog
April 2nd, 2008 at 08:34am
Poette:
Yeah. Safety is the biggest thing, especially if you feel like you're really falling for someone.

I think a romantic relationship online would be far more dangerous than just a friendship, because there are all those extra emotions involved that may make you do something stupid.

That's a really good point that I didn't mention

Kudos Smile
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
May 27th, 2008 at 12:07am
i'm not in favor of them
sure people say they have seen pictures and stuff but i mean someone can find pictures on the internet
and that is possible cause i have friends that do that and say its them
and how to you have a physical(sp.?) relationship
when you can't even see the person
in my opinion which people will probably take offence to
i think people go into online relationships because they are to afraid to get into actual relationships

but that's my opinion
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
May 27th, 2008 at 12:37am
Internet friendships work. Relationships... no. Not in my opinion.
Not because of the "omggg theyre a pedo OBVS" shit, but because in my opinion, "love" is not something you can detect by the way a person types or looks or anything. It's just... it's weird. It's a spark. It's just a strange feeling you get when you're around someone. It's real compatibility, and it's completely different from just... loving to talk to someone online. It's hard to explain. Long-distance relationships are better, since you meet up and knew them before it became long-distance (otherwise I consider it an internet-relationship). But text is just not physical, no matter how you put it.

If you don't actually meet in real life frequently, then I think it's exaggerated and stupid and usually -- note, usually -- some kids who want to say they've got a boyfriend/girlfriend. Perhaps even sub-consciously. They might feel left out or ~whatever~ and end up convincing themselves they love someone they know via pixels.

Going out and dating are the two terms that I can think of for having a relationship. They both imply actually seeing the person regularly. You can't go out without being with each other, and you can't date without being with each other (considering how "dating" is probably derived from a "date" )
paper heart.
Geek
paper heart.

Blog
May 29th, 2008 at 05:24am
im a bit dubious about both friendships and relationships.
Id say be careful because sometimes even friends on the internet can turn out more then you bargined for.
Example being a guy i talked to on myspace had different intentions then i did, and would have probably taken advantage of them if mum hadnt shown me how naive i was for thinking he just wanted friendship.
But mostly friends on the internet are ok once you reach the stage that even if they've lied about something, because they're there for you it doesnt really matter.
I guess the same could apply to relationships. If you can trust this person as good as a friend then I guess go for it. But if you have doubts or only start talking to them because they look attractive 9 times out of 10 thats kinda a disaster zone.
Its down to trust really.
Raina Lupa
Addict
Raina Lupa
May 29th, 2008 at 05:59am
If we're talking about a strictly online relationship- no face-to-face contact; that is NOT a relationship and I would laugh at anyone who thinks it is.

I'm dubious of the relationships that start online as well...as in, the pair decide to become a couple before ever meeting. Sure, it might work out, but it's a bit creepy for a start, and more than likely will end in shattered expectations.

Now, as for those that start as an online aquaintance or friend, then progress to a relationship after 'real life' contact, that's different. That is a proper relationship, even if it remains long distance for quite some time.

I met my boyfriend online- we were both regular posters on the same message board for a band, started talking on MSN and really hit it off. Eventually a tour rolled round and we agreed to meet up and see the band together, along with a mate of mine. We spent the day together, the three of us having a laugh and me and the boy were getting along as if we'd known each other for years. Well, after lots of playful flirting, after the gig we admitted to liking each other and ended up kissing...we decided to become a couple, and even though it's long distane it's the greatest love either of us has ever felt. OK so we did break up for like a year and a half Laughing but that was because of home situations changing and stuff...we've been back together over a month now and it's great Very Happy
Princess of Punk
Princess of Punk
May 31st, 2008 at 03:37pm
I had a boyfriend I met on MySpace and we were getting alone very good until he posted a pic of him kissing another girl and I was heart broken cause we spent New Years in different states and we were watching the same show and that was like the best memory we had and he had to go and ruin it.

Sometimes you find love on the internet and other times you don't.That is the lesson to that story.
Boo Radley
Idiot
Boo Radley

Blog
July 27th, 2008 at 06:43am
I have a friend who has been going out with a guy for nearly a year(having known each other over the internet for about two years), and now meets up with him every couple of weeks and has brought him home to meet her parents, and they met on the internet. They have the strongest relationship I have ever seen with people my age - they've had their problems, too many to be fair I suppose, but they've come through all of that, and I don't think there's anything left that can break them up. Well, I suppose something might, one day, seeing as how they are only young, her being fifteen and him being seventeen, but for their friendship and the first three or four months of them going out everything was just based on long phone conversations. When you don't have anything physical, I think that can bring you extremely close to someone, because all you have is learning everything about them, never mind how they smell or kiss or any pressure to do physical things.

So yeah, those two have proven to me that internet relationships can work, even though it's not just an internet relationship any more.
Brian May
Brian May
July 27th, 2008 at 11:44am
Two years ago, i didnt believe that someone could actually fall in love with someone they never met .
But I now know that i was wrong.
I met him on You Tube.
He commented sayin that he was also a big Green Day fan, so we started talkin.
Eventually i asked him for his MSN.
We talked every single day.
He knows me so so well, he practically reads my find to be honest.
He knows how to make me happy.
Hes everythin i wanted in someone.
I just never told him i had feelins for him.
We been talkin for about a year now.
princess consuela
Geek
princess consuela
August 25th, 2008 at 07:16am
ummm... i don't know if i should talk about this or not but i'd like to hear someone's opinion so...

i've met someone... on the internet. and ok, we live on the different sides of the globe, but he means a whole lot to me. i feel like he's keeping me from falling apart right now. we met totally by accident whn he read some of my journals at this one site and he emailed me to tell me he feels the same way. and we're both kinda outcasts. he understands me better than anyone i've ever met. i've told him so much. i know it sounds crazy but i feel like i can totally totally trust him. and he's so honest and simple. he doesn't play any games. he knows how i feel and he has said that if everything would turn out right he might love me. this means so much to me cause all my life i've been sure no one could ever love me.

and he knows about the most weird things i have and he doesn't mind. it feels so good to be accepted the way i am. he knows im a freak and he likes me because of it, not dispite it. and tbh, he does appeal to my darker sides a little.

umm... okay but tell me what you think please.

i really wanna meet him someday, but im really really scared. im so shy. and i just know it'd be weird as hell... and really awkward. but he says he'd like to meet me too and it's okay if it's awkward and stuff....

and no one quote this please cause i might have the sudden urge to erase this later so.
WhoTheFuckIsCool?
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
WhoTheFuckIsCool?
August 26th, 2008 at 02:36pm
Errrrr, I think they can be goodd, especailly if the guy or girl lives in the same Country as you so you can meet them and see them on a regular basis if you still liking them. But I know someone, a family friend, who met somone over myspace and he was going to a festival in America, and he stayed with her whilst he was there and things are going really well for them now, so I dont really think how you meet someone matteers as long as you trust them.
a-a-a-a
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
a-a-a-a
August 27th, 2008 at 06:34pm
Peardrops:
My mom met her new boyfriend online.
I've never met him before.
Although i've seen a picture..
He looks like a fat Alan Titchmarsh..

lmfao

But yeah, i agree that internet friendships are fine Smile I'm just not sure about the whole romantic side tbh. Sure, you think you know someone...but your never certain, so i just stay out of it completely.
WhoTheFuckIsCool?
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
WhoTheFuckIsCool?
August 28th, 2008 at 11:27am
ScottishReplica:
Peardrops:
My mom met her new boyfriend online.
I've never met him before.
Although i've seen a picture..
He looks like a fat Alan Titchmarsh..

lmfao

But yeah, i agree that internet friendships are fine Smile I'm just not sure about the whole romantic side tbh. Sure, you think you know someone...but your never certain, so i just stay out of it completely.

Ahah! LOL at he fat Alan Titchmarsh thing!
But yeah I can see what your saying about never being totally certain .. So I guess if you ever do want to meet someone off the internet do it in the daytime at a public place and take a friend with you so your totally safe (:

Good point though.
Peardrops
Addict
Peardrops

Blog
August 28th, 2008 at 03:33pm
I've met him now lmfao He's really nice and they're still together.
Adam Lambert
Idiot
Adam Lambert
September 8th, 2008 at 09:14am
MissNeurotic:
Well, dats cool n stuffffff that you have someone who seems to totally understand ya.
Maybe you actually will get to meet him someday, but I bet he'll be feeling the same as you (awkward, shy, etc.), so ya :=]. n stuff.
Spider Billie
Post Whore
Spider Billie

Blog
September 18th, 2008 at 08:58pm
I'll be for it.
Well as long as they like know about eachother. I mean, It's kinda weird, you never really know who you're really talking to. I mean, it could be a 40 year old man and a 15 year old girl and that's just plain gross. My sister had one, and he was nice. But it didn't last too long. So yeah, I guess i'm for it.
ree-ee-annan
ree-ee-annan
November 1st, 2008 at 01:43pm
if you meet the person and stuff, fair enough, yeah, it can work. my best friend met her boyfriend on the internet and they've been together for almost two years. he stays at her house and stuff and she goes to his etc.

but i think people that are "in love" with someone they've never even seen in real life are a bit..stupid? idk.
Sweeney Todd.
GSBitch
Sweeney Todd.

Mibba Blog
November 2nd, 2008 at 09:36pm
my friend was involved in an online relationship once. she wanted me to date 'his' 'friend', but we found out that there was no guy, it was just an 11 year old girl pretending to be a boy.

i think it can work though. if you know who you're talking to, and you're dedicated enough to it.
Register