Banning skinny models.

AuthorMessage
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
October 11th, 2006 at 02:41pm
Anji:
Yes, I do think dying of malnutrition is a form of art.

Well I'm certainly glad someone sees the glamour in this.

Anyway. I don't even see why I'm bothering to debate this anymore. I'd say the battle has already been won, has it not?. Madrid, Italy...the rest of the world will follow.
Let me offer a final summing up to my oh-so-open minded audience. I need practice for my next debating competition. And I can't stand tearing up your arguments any more, it really seems so savage on my behalf.

All of the evidence I have proposed comes from highly qualified medical professionals. I'd like to remind you all that none of you actually have the slightest speck of their knowledge. Anybody plan on challenging that?.
To be honest- their opinion is the one that will rule the catwalks, not the opinion of fashion designers, teenage girls, anyone. And their opinion is the one I shall be trusting.

Perhaps i'm just another misguided idealist. Perhaps i'm just another freakishly-minded, painfully old fashioned person who just cares about the state of models, because I sure as hell wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Ad infinitum.
Peter Petrelli
King For A Couple Of Days
Peter Petrelli
October 11th, 2006 at 02:59pm
Does this ban apply to male models too? Because my best friend is almost deathly skinny; you can see his ribs through his skin at times. Because it wouldn't be fair to just apply this ban to female models, guys can be influenced too.
Trelovescookies
Idiot
Trelovescookies

Blog
October 11th, 2006 at 03:10pm
Anji:
trelovescookies:
Anji:
trelovescookies:
Bloodraine:
Anji:
trelovescookies:
I don't understand the need to have skinny models.
Making clothes that half the world wont fit into...
ART!!! AAAAAART!!!

Do people not realise that this is all about aaaaaaart! They model fashion, they model attitude, they have their own persona on the runway, they act for the emphasise, it is a form of art. So wheather or not you are grossly thin, or sickeningly obese, modelling is an art and a form of expression and individuality. And you cannot ban that.

Is dying of malnutrition a form of art too?

Exactly.
I see your point of the art thing.
But when it becomes such a strong influence over people, and the art side is forgotten, it becomes an issue.

So. If Billie, Tre or Mike. If your mum, or your sister, anyone you love was dieing of malnutrition you would see it as a form of art?
And you would not try to stop them at all?
There's a difference between that, suicidal, and stupid of course, but otherwise, yeah.

I see these models as being stupid. - not a form of art.
Yes, I know that suidide is different, but it is not flaunted, like so.

In this case.
Do you think suidie is a form of art?
Peter Petrelli
Peter Petrelli
October 11th, 2006 at 03:18pm
trelovescookies:
Do you think suicide is a form of art?

Suicide is not art. If someone were to kill themselves as a result of depression, that would not be art.

But... I do believe that the subject can create very emotive art; just not the act itself. If that makes sense.

Anyway, that was very off topic. Sorry. Embarassed

But I don't think that suicide has anything to do with how skinny people aspire to be. I think it's just to do with image, not self harm.
Trelovescookies
Idiot
Trelovescookies

Blog
October 11th, 2006 at 03:38pm
Ginger Nuts:
trelovescookies:
Do you think suicide is a form of art?

Suicide is not art. If someone were to kill themselves as a result of depression, that would not be art.

But... I do believe that the subject can create very emotive art; just not the act itself. If that makes sense.

Anyway, that was very off topic. Sorry. Embarassed

But I don't think that suicide has anything to do with how skinny people aspire to be. I think it's just to do with image, not self harm.

I under stand where you are coming from.
But image problems can lead to self harm.
Issues start to become linked together.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
October 11th, 2006 at 05:04pm
Tot he suicide thing, if someone wanted to commit suicide would you tell them they couldnt? If you did you would be in the wrong, it's their life and they have every right to do so.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
October 11th, 2006 at 05:17pm
Bloodraine:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Most arguments on this subject are based on "average" statistics... well that is where the problem is... the people involved in this are not average.

Which is what a Body Mass Index chart is used for.

Thats the problem. BMI is an average statistic. It takes into account your weight and height, thats it. It doesnt have anything to do with your body type, metabloism, ect. If a ban is going to be enstated, shouldnt it at least be fair? BMI is not fair to everyone.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
October 11th, 2006 at 05:18pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Tot he suicide thing, if someone wanted to commit suicide would you tell them they couldnt? If you did you would be in the wrong, it's their life and they have every right to do so.

Thats way off topic.
The question was not about the morality of suicide, but whether suicide in itself could be considered an art.
Me, personally?.
I think of art as paintings and sculptures, not dead children, emaciated ribcages and people killing themselves.
I do not consider runway models to be art. They wear art, not become it. Modelling is a job.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
October 11th, 2006 at 05:38pm
Bloodraine:
Anji:

Well I'm certainly glad someone sees the glamour in this.

Anyway. I don't even see why I'm bothering to debate this anymore. I'd say the battle has already been won, has it not?. Madrid, Italy...the rest of the world will follow.
Let me offer a final summing up to my oh-so-open minded audience. I need practice for my next debating competition. And I can't stand tearing up your arguments any more, it really seems so savage on my behalf.

All of the evidence I have proposed comes from highly qualified medical professionals. I'd like to remind you all that none of you actually have the slightest speck of their knowledge. Anybody plan on challenging that?.
To be honest- their opinion is the one that will rule the catwalks, not the opinion of fashion designers, teenage girls, anyone. And their opinion is the one I shall be trusting.

Perhaps i'm just another misguided idealist. Perhaps i'm just another freakishly-minded, painfully old fashioned person who just cares about the state of models, because I sure as hell wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Ad infinitum.

Actually, your statement about the rest of the fashion world following is incorrect. People are acting as if this is a new thing, it isnt, this type of thing has been proposed before, and it has been rejected. London's fashion week recently rejected it as well. Madrid will see the consequences of doing this when they have a whole 2 models at their next fashion week.

Those highly qualified medical professionals you're talking about have said that BMI is not accurate for everyone, seeing as how having an Ectomorphic body is highly common in modeling, I don't know what idotic medical professional decided thatBMI should be used to judge them when that makes your BMI signifigantly lower.

There are also two other classes of body types:endomorph and mesomorph. Your body type effects your BMI signifigantly. Saying BMI is ok for everyone is like saying one size shoe would fit everyone, that doesnt work.

Whats even more ironic is these models being banned, if they wanted to gain weight, they probably couldnt because of their body weight. They have a very difficult time gaining weight and muscle mass, regurdless of what they eat or how much they exercise. However, in the opposite effect, they lose weight quite easily.

As for the tearing up our arguement part... it was very nice of you to acknowledge one line in mine Wink
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
October 11th, 2006 at 05:43pm
Like I said, don't take it personally Rolling Eyes
I have a public speaking contest coming up, I need to practice on some argument.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
October 11th, 2006 at 05:43pm
Bloodraine:
I_worship_tre_Cool:

Thats way off topic.
The question was not about the morality of suicide, but whether suicide in itself could be considered an art.
Me, personally?.
I think of art as paintings and sculptures, not dead children, emaciated ribcages and people killing themselves.
I do not consider runway models to be art. They wear art, not become it. Modelling is a job.

What some models are doing was being compared to suicide. The arguement seems to be that it's art, they have the right to do it. They seemed to think that calling it suicide changes that, and would take that right away. I disagreed and said they still had the right to, I was on topic.

You're entitled to have your personal preference and think of something as art and something as not being art, but how you feel couldn't be any less relevant to how other people feel about art. If they consider it Art, then it's art. I consider modeling to be an art, it takes talent to model clothes, not just anyone can do it. The walk, attitude, Image, ect, I find it to be very artistic.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
October 11th, 2006 at 05:46pm
Bloodraine:
Like I said, don't take it personally Rolling Eyes
I have a public speaking contest coming up, I need to practice on some argument.

That has no relevance to this topic, if you're practicing that's fine, but we will still respond to what you say.. it would have been nice of you to respond to all the points I made... but whatever floats your boat.
no wai, Mikey Wai!
Falling In Love With The Board
no wai, Mikey Wai!
October 11th, 2006 at 06:42pm
They are wayyyyy to skinny. I think there should be a weight limit like you have to be over 120 pounds or something.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
October 11th, 2006 at 07:20pm
social_tool_w/o_a_use77:
They are wayyyyy to skinny. I think there should be a weight limit like you have to be over 120 pounds or something.

That makes absolutely no sense at all. First off you can't hold a stereotype like that to everyone, it's insanely judgemental. And where on Earth did you get 120 lbs? That makes no sense what so ever.... none at all.
robotchicken.
Falling In Love With The Board
robotchicken.

Mibba
October 11th, 2006 at 10:54pm
I think they should ban them from being to skinny but then I dont. Because I believe its their choice. I watch all these modeling contest things on tv and they even say it, "If your a plus size model you will not make it as far" So the person is really left with a choice, drop #oflbs and become what you wanna become OR get into a business that the fame or whatever isnt want you wanted. There was two girls in my grade this year that have tried out to be models, one girl was short and not skinny but not fat at all; the other is tall and skinny. The first didnt get picked while the other one did. You might say oh well maybe she was just better than the other, that might be it but now the first has serious problems about her image. Im not trying to stereotype but the judges of whatever obviously do. I think it was i_worship_tre_cool said we have no right to judge what they want to do but the people in the business of modeling judge themselves and the girls in there dont they? :/
White Riot
White Riot
October 27th, 2006 at 05:38pm
I think it's a good idea.
We don't want all the future generations of little girls growing up thinking they need to starve themselves and do cocaine to be "pretty", acceptable, or even role models. I mean, maybe let a few in, and treat the plus size and normal sized models all the same, same clothes, show etc. This world isn't made up of one body size.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
October 27th, 2006 at 05:46pm
White Riot:
I think it's a good idea.
We don't want all the future generations of little girls growing up thinking they need to starve themselves and do cocaine to be "pretty", acceptable, or even role models. I mean, maybe let a few in, and treat the plus size and normal sized models all the same, same clothes, show etc. This world isn't made up of one body size.

You think it's a good idea to ban models on unfair standards, just because you dislike the way they look? I think thats narrowminded, and it isn't any of our descions what models the designers use, It may be obscene, but they have the right to do it, and you don't have the right to tell designers what models they can use for their clothing line. If you want to use models that are differnt, become a designer yourself. It isnt the job of models to parent the rest of the worlds kids. Where are those little girls parents telling them that drugs are bad? And yeah.. "let in a few", thats makes no sense at all. You can't be judgemental like that and degrade someones equality to another.
*faithandmisery*
Geek
*faithandmisery*

Mibba
October 28th, 2006 at 04:39am
i dont know if they should be banned but they should include bigger girls on the catwalk cos big girls are pretty too, if not prettier
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
October 28th, 2006 at 05:33am
For big chain fashion companies, they always have the pretty skinny models. But if you ever go to a real fashion show. One with just one person who designs a couple of outfits and costumes purely for the porpose of self expression and art, you will find big, fat women or maybe midgets or extremely skinny, lanky, very tall people, who would usually be considered freaks. I a real fashion show, not the big flash and fancy ones, the models are but ugly, but when they're up on the cat walk, and strutting, they're like an actor, totally changed in personality and appearance. It's not fair to take away those kind of shows where models whose arms are like match sticks make themselves into art.
gd'sDiana
Geek
gd'sDiana
October 28th, 2006 at 01:31pm
i they should.... well .. isn't a model who died because she stopped eating??
Register