The truth about Columbus

AuthorMessage
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
November 8th, 2006 at 12:53pm
NeoSteph:
Personally it's a case of where do you draw the line.

You can pretty much doubt the revelance of every national holdiay US or otherwise.

I mean we celebrate Guy Fawkes night a man that is a convicted terrorist and planned to blow up the houses of parliament and the 100's of people who lived there

Martin Luther King was an adulter and generally thought of a a wife beater.

Winston Churchill was a sexist pig who was one of the main instigators behind holding the vote back from women.

History is fucking evil but it's still your history. Maybe having a columbus day not only highligths what he achieved but also his downfalls in humanity which allow us to learn from our mistakes. So thjey are not repeated. If it wasn't a day then maybe people would forget, is that what you want to happen?

just a little thing i thought needed clearing up. We celebrate Guy Fawkes night to celebrate him FAILING to blow up the houses of parliament. so we're celebrating that he lost, not celebrating him.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
November 8th, 2006 at 02:15pm
anti-christ of suburbia:

just a little thing i thought needed clearing up. We celebrate Guy Fawkes night to celebrate him FAILING to blow up the houses of parliament. so we're celebrating that he lost, not celebrating him.

Is celebrating an attempted terrorist attack ever morally right?
No matter what side you celebrate it for, its still crass.
The gunpowder plot was done and dusted by the end of 1606, so it may be too long ago to even care about the history around it.
Nowadays, we don't have to bother about the history behind Guido Fawkes and a bunch of crazy catholics blowing up the houses of parliament. Terrorism is a bigger issue.
spill_no_sick
Falling In Love With The Board
spill_no_sick
November 8th, 2006 at 03:26pm
~[teh dumbass returns]~:

are you even reading what im saying?
then I'll say it again

schools SHOULD teach the truth, you're right
but if we place no importance on that day, then the schools won't teach anything at all
now, in Elementary school, you just need to get the point across that Columbus was the first Spanish explorer to reach America
but by middle school people should be taught that the Vikings made it in 1001 and Columbus was a self-ritous idiot

and it's not like asking a five year old about Iraq
it's like asking anyone about Iraq, people are just parrots, if they hear it enough they'll wind up saying it

and the eighties comment was way out there (as was the five year old one)
the people who speak the loudest about politics are always the most extreme and ignorant, not just the eighties
and in the eighties the "Me" generation was growing up which is why they knew dick about politics

Jefferson was the first president to win on a campaign of propaganda
he was a sexist, racist, descrimitory asshole but he drafted the Declaration of Independance (even though it was edited by George Mason who deserves most of the credit

and yes, Columbus was a dumbass
he thought he reached India, and died thinking that
He was also the first to think of ways to wipe out the Native Americans in masses
but you know what, it's still history, he made a great contribution, and he made PLENTY of mistakes we can learn from

and in what ways am I afraid of chance?
I hate when people pull the "you aren't liberal" card out
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
November 8th, 2006 at 06:58pm
Billie Joe's Sweetie:
Columbus Day should SO be a holiday! I mean, we get Lincoln's birthday off at school! We should get Columbus day off as well!

there more meaning then that
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
November 8th, 2006 at 07:58pm
~[teh dumbass returns]~:
Billie Joe's Sweetie:
Columbus Day should SO be a holiday! I mean, we get Lincoln's birthday off at school! We should get Columbus day off as well!

there more meaning then that
there is
but we only pay attention to the short posts

I'm not trying to be an attention whore, but I do believe we were having a debate
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
November 8th, 2006 at 08:09pm
anti-christ of suburbia:
NeoSteph:
Personally it's a case of where do you draw the line.

You can pretty much doubt the revelance of every national holdiay US or otherwise.

I mean we celebrate Guy Fawkes night a man that is a convicted terrorist and planned to blow up the houses of parliament and the 100's of people who lived there

Martin Luther King was an adulter and generally thought of a a wife beater.

Winston Churchill was a sexist pig who was one of the main instigators behind holding the vote back from women.

History is fucking evil but it's still your history. Maybe having a columbus day not only highligths what he achieved but also his downfalls in humanity which allow us to learn from our mistakes. So thjey are not repeated. If it wasn't a day then maybe people would forget, is that what you want to happen?

I know but we're still celebrating a man being hung drawn and quartered before being burned at a stake. not only is it paganism. but we still do it years after capital punishment has been abolished.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
November 8th, 2006 at 08:10pm
seriously watch the pyramids, your starting to rival egypt.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
November 9th, 2006 at 06:48pm
spill_no_sick:
~[teh dumbass returns]~:

are you even reading what im saying?
then I'll say it again

schools SHOULD teach the truth, you're right
but if we place no importance on that day, then the schools won't teach anything at all
now, in Elementary school, you just need to get the point across that Columbus was the first Spanish explorer to reach America
but by middle school people should be taught that the Vikings made it in 1001 and Columbus was a self-ritous idiot

and it's not like asking a five year old about Iraq
it's like asking anyone about Iraq, people are just parrots, if they hear it enough they'll wind up saying it

and the eighties comment was way out there (as was the five year old one)
the people who speak the loudest about politics are always the most extreme and ignorant, not just the eighties
and in the eighties the "Me" generation was growing up which is why they knew dick about politics

Jefferson was the first president to win on a campaign of propaganda
he was a sexist, racist, descrimitory asshole but he drafted the Declaration of Independance (even though it was edited by George Mason who deserves most of the credit

and yes, Columbus was a dumbass
he thought he reached India, and died thinking that
He was also the first to think of ways to wipe out the Native Americans in masses
but you know what, it's still history, he made a great contribution, and he made PLENTY of mistakes we can learn from

and in what ways am I afraid of chance?
I hate when people pull the "you aren't liberal" card out
is this better?
Register